Hello friends, I hope your new year has been off to a good start! I do one of these annual recaps each year, and what a year 2018 was. Looking back at the most-read posts on the blog, many of you shared my love for handbags, cooking, and travel (the usual suspects!). But there was also a lot of interest in some personal posts that I was initially hesitant to write. I’ve learned that while a pretty photo is always nice, there’s power in talking candidly about (sometimes uncomfortable) topics that aren’t often discussed.
As I surface for air from these months as a first time mama, I’m excited to continue posting about the things I love, but also some of the realities and challenges that often lie behind the scenes. I’m so fortunate to have this community to learn from and to share with, so from the bottom of my heart, thank you for being here!
Right: Week 1 postpartum. When I shared this photo, I got several messages congratulating me on pregnancy #2!
10 Most read posts of 2018 (Click any photo to read):
1. Big news about a little embryo
2. Designer bag reviews: Saint Laurent WOC & Chanel Boy
3. Hearty lentil & veggie soup recipe (see all cooking posts)
4. Nori’s birth story
5. Work pants with NO waist gap
6. My experience with laser hair removal
7. Outfit ideas that camouflage the belly (see all maternity outfits)
8. Our London travel diary
9. Ways to support a friend through infertility
10. My postpartum recovery essentials
Runner Up: Tips for traveling & flying with a baby
most memorable trips:
Based on versatility, value, and how well they’ve held up with frequent wears!
J.Crew Factory wool pencil skirt (see original post)
Compared to the regular version, this Factory skirt is a fraction of the price (especially when on sale) and 2″ shorter, which some petite ladies prefer. The wool is not as nice as the original, but it’s still an excellent value for a lined, winter weight pencil skirt!
Everlane waffle cashmere sweater + mid-rise ankle jeans (see original post)
I’ve been surprised by just how often I reach for these two pieces. With each machine wash & dry, these jeans seem to fit a little better (mine shrunk a little throughout, including length). They’re thick, and the ankle option is great for shorties. I didn’t like Everlane’s blue washes though – for true dark blue jeans I love these legging jeans from Express (reviewed here) which are 1″ longer in Short.
This sweater (also comes in a turtleneck) is one of the comfiest pieces in my knits drawer, and it hasn’t pilled despite regular wear. It’s nearly sold out, but I’ve seen small sizes pop back every few days!
Sam Edelman scallop sandals (see original post)
I don’t often buy sandals at full price, but these were worth it given how often I reach for them! The scallop edge adds a little something extra to outfits, and the 3″ block heel is comfy for the height. The hardest decision was between my usual go-to nude / caramel color or black suede!
Banana Republic Faux Leather Pants (back in stock; see original post)
These have been the perfect “elevated” alternative every time I crave the comfort and stretch of leggings, but need something more stylish.
Morning Lavender pleated dress (back in stock; see original post with updated fit photos)
This romantic dress is a unicorn in the sense that it’s maternity, nursing, AND regular wear-friendly due to the elastic bands and pleats. Check my original post with updated photos showing how it looks on me at 5 ft 105 lbs, at 95 lbs, and also with a “bump” if you’re expecting.
Amazon woven circle bag (see original post)
This is not a standout item or anything, but is a steal (currently under $15) and goodness did I use it a ton! Compared to other woven bags that were pricier, I thought the quality was comparable, plus this has a zipper to secure your belongings. Just make sure you only order when it says “Prime” next to the item.
Maternity & Nursing: Couldn’t survive without my H&M nursing tanks – I wear them under regular sweaters and tops to make almost any outfit breastfeeding-friendly. And for super comfy nursing & maternity PJs, I alternate between the KB Davy set and the Jane set (read my reviews)!
2018 Reader MVPs / Top Sellers
- Caslon Claire Sandals (currently sold out) – Not what I’m usually drawn to, but I was sold on the comfort, and pretty much lived in these all summer!
- BP leopard scarf – Bought years ago, this scarf continued to be one of my most worn accessories and a top seller with you guys! See it in 2018 outfits here, here, and here. It gets restocked often, so bookmark it and check back if currently unavailable.
- Ann Taylor shawl wrap coat – Another piece that I first got years ago and continued to be a favorite. Wrap style adjusts to fit over thick or thin layers, and some of you have also said it’s maternity friendly!
a few last favorites (click any photo to visit post)