My Hospital Bag + Postpartum Recovery Must Haves

Nuna Pipa Carseat | Skiphop Weekender Bag | Postpartum Recovery

Today’s post is a little different from the norm – I wanted to share what I packed for the hospital that was useful, plus some things that helped me heal during postpartum recovery. When I first posted on Instagram stories about prepping for postpartum, there was quite the mixed reaction! I received hundreds of tips and product recommendations from some, intrigued questions from others, and a handful that thought I was “oversharing” about something private (feel free to skip this post if you feel that way).

POSTPARTUM RECOVERY

The truth is the realities of postpartum are rarely discussed and can come as a surprise to some. Being a new mom is an incredible yet challenging experience, and your body goes through so much during this time. So I wanted to share some very candid info from my own experience, in case it can inform or help someone else. Just keep in mind that everyone’s birth and recovery needs can be very different!

What to pack in your hospital bag?

I used this generously-sized Skip Hop weekender bag, which I picked out for future travel with baby. It has stroller clips and a nifty sleeve for sliding over your luggage handle, so we also brought a mostly empty suitcase to take home “free” supplies from the hospital. The Skip Hop bag has tons of organizational pockets and 2 packing cubes, which I used to separate items for myself and baby. I’m obsessed with packing cubes in general which you can use in any bag (we have the eBags brand)!

hospital bag packing essentials labor birth delivery
Postpartum Hospital Bag

1. To Wear
  • A comfortable robe – You may want to mostly stay in a hospital gown due to heavy postpartum bleeding, but it’s nice to have something cute to slip on for photos and visitors! I kept tripping on my oversized, raggedy hospital gown so liked having other options. My picks: I packed my Kindred Bravely robe in S/M and love the two different belt loop heights, 3/4 length sleeves, and pockets. I also have this similar Dance Fairy lace trim robe, pictured below. The jersey knit and lace trim on this one are soft, plus I love that the stretchy sash belt is sewn on. S is a little loose on me now so I wrap the sash around and tie it in the back.
  • Nursing-friendly pajamas – Another comfy and practical option if you’re in the hospital for several days. My picks: This cropped floral PJ set in regular sizing buttons down for easy nursing and doesn’t require hemming on petites. I also love this soft Kindred Bravely nightgown or pants set in a unique twist front design that lifts up for breastfeeding. Pretty much everything I tried from this maternity and nursing brand has been super comfy!

kindred bravely nursing postpartum pajamas lounge wear

Kindred Bravely pajama / loungewear set XS (nursing & maternity-friendly)

floral pajamas petite fashion birth hospital bag outfit

In Bloom crop pajamas (similar also not maternity, so potentially go 1-2 sizes up for wearing postpartum

• Slippers or flip flops: Some prefer comfy slippers, but I wanted shoes that could be easily washable and hospital shower-friendly. The hospital also provides fuzzy socks so I didn’t pack any.
  • Going home outfit: I forgot this and just wore the same dress home that that I wore to the hospital. But since that might be soiled by your water breaking or other fun fluids, I’d suggest packing a loose flowing dress or a tunic and leggings (in your pregnancy size, just to be safe).
  • Nursing bra: Your body may or may not start producing milk while at the hospital, so it doesn’t hurt to be prepared. My milk only came in a little, but I liked wearing these comfy, soft nursing bras over nipples that were in bad shape from learning how to breastfeed. This brand of bras come with a great accessory kit (racerback strap clips, bra band extenders, and padded cup inserts for each color!). FYI: When shopping on Amazon, I always look for the “Prime” icon. If “Prime” is unavailable for a certain size and color, it means the Amazon warehouse is out of stock, so the product will ship directly from the manufacturer and could take months to arrive.
2. To Heal

After blogging my labor story, I got some messages asking what the stitches were for. I delivered vaginally and had a second degree tear down there, which the doctors said is pretty common. I was also very swollen, so much that I nearly weighed the same when I got home from the hospital as I did before giving birth (and a LOT comes out during birth in addition to a baby)!

Most birthing hospitals provide the essentials for postpartum healing. But if in doubt, it doesn’t hurt to have some things in advance, or for certain products there are just better versions that you can buy (like the Mom Washer below!). The 2 most mentioned “favorites” by you guys on Instagram were pre-soaked witch hazel pads and Dermoplast numbing spray. I personally didn’t use the spray, but totally agree about the witch hazel – this plant-based ingredient helps reduce inflammation and speed up healing. I used those little pads for weeks!

Postpartum Recovery Hospital Bag

What my hospitatl provided: mesh underwear, maxi pads, plastic sitz tub to soak your bottom, nursing bra pads, numbing spray, belly compression band, witch hazel pads, perineal wash bottle, disposable ice packs.

The nurses on the recovery floor made intense postpartum healing panties by layering almost everything shown above in one mega contraption! It was too bulky for me to lie comfortably on, so I later streamlined it to just mesh undies, a maxi pad with witch hazel pads layered on top, and perineal balm (see below).

hospital postpartum belly body fridababy mom washer

Day 3 postpartum (yes, POST…) in the hospital with my sexy mesh undies and bidet bottle

Here’s some items that I found useful in lieu of what the hospital provided:

• Fridababy Mom Washer bidet bottle – all jokes aside, this was my most used gadget. Use this to wash your sensitive, healing lady parts instead of toilet paper, and yes the angled nozzle makes ALL the difference compared to the hospital’s free ketchup-style bottle! The design of this bottle also provides a steady yet gentle stream of water pressure. I’d fill this with warm water and use the entire bottle each bathroom trip as a soothing wash. TIP: If you had a vaginal delivery, lean / bend forward as far as you can when you sit down to pee, since it could sting or burn if urine gets on areas that are healing. Sounds silly, but I actually saw this tip on Pinterest and am glad I did!
  • Earth Mama Organic Perineal Balm – I couldn’t get used to wearing ice packs in my undies, but this balm on top of the witch hazel pads (the balm has some witch hazel in it too) were great for lasting, cooling relief. I like that the ingredients are organic and straightforward, so you know exactly what you’re putting on a delicate area. They also make a perineal spray but I liked the balm better – store it in the fridge for a little extra cooling! This brand is pretty much amazing for pregnancy, postpartum, nursing and baby (i.e. their organic diaper balm).
  • Postpartum compression girdle – I didn’t order mine until I left the hospital (see a photo & more info in this blog post), but several of my friends who had C-sections used one right away to facilitate recovery. I wear this at home, wrapped snugly, as often as I can.
  • Earth Mama Organic Nipple and Dry Skin Butter – The nurses at my hospital were wonderfully hands-on with teaching new moms how to breastfeed. But by day 2, my nipples were cracked & blistered so I was super glad I brought this balm (bonus: I also used it during our stay for dry skin patches and chapped lips). The hospital had packets of lanolin nipple cream, but I tried both and personally preferred this one. It’s less sticky and thick than lanolin with a faint cocoa butter scent (but with no taste and is safe for baby), also, it works to quickly soothe and heal. I used this for 2 weeks after every breastfeeding session, until my nipples were sufficiently “toughened up” and only needed balm once in a while!
  • Stool softener – The nurse gave me some during my stay, but definitely pick some up beforehand at the drugstore for later. Whether you have a C-section or vaginal delivery, my friends agreed that a bowel movement post-birth might not happen for a while, and the first few movements can be a little terrifying!

what to buy for postpartum vaginal recovery healing

3. To Use
  • GIANT water bottle (hospital may provide): I’ve never guzzled so much water in my life. Essential for rehydrating post-delivery, flushing out bloating/swelling, and for breastfeeding.
  • Moisturizer: Hospital rooms can be dry and tough on your skin. I packed a moisturizing oil that takes just seconds to apply while sitting in bed. I splurged on this Tatcha Beauty Oil but also am a longtime fan of Biossance Squalane oil – both are certified “clean” at Sephora with no harsh ingredients or added fragrances that could potentially irritate a newborn.
  • Concealer: A little concealer goes a long way even if you don’t wear any other makeup! I’ve blogged several times about NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer (I use “Custard”), but if you’re looking for a better value, Laura Mercier’s Secret Camouflage (I use “SC-3”) lasts for years and is quick and easy to apply with your fingers while on the go. It’s just a little more dry so make sure you moisturize beforehand.
  • Hair powder or dry shampoo: Just in case you don’t have the energy to take a full shower. I posted about my trick of using starch & a duster brush to absorb greasy hair back in this post!
  • Large plastic trash bag or absorbent mat (like a puppy pee pad): Keep one in your bag to sit on in the car en route to the hospital, just in case your water breaks! I bought adult diapers for this purpose, but only used 1 and now have a bunch sitting around.
  • Technology: Camera, cell phones, phone charger with a long cord, optional speaker to play music.
  • Folder: To organize all of baby’s documents and learning materials you’ll be receiving.
  • Health insurance card, just in case.

what to pack in your hospital birth bag for baby newborn

Swaddle blankets: Copper Pearl, Mini Scout, Topknots Headwear: Topknots turbans, Baby Bling bow, Turbans for Tots bow Onesie: L’oved Baby organic cotton footie Multipurpose floral cover: Copper Pearl

The hospital provides everything a newborn technically “needs” like diapers, onesies, and linens, but everything was a little rough from being used and washed so many times, so I loved having our own things for baby:

• Swaddle blankets: The nurses kept complimenting how soft our swaddles were!
  • Photo outfits: I ordered this name sticker which is cute for birth announcement photos. Also brought this felt letterboard to write birth date / weight / size with but forgot to use it.
  • Multi-purpose cover: I don’t leave home with baby now without one of these! If it’s cold or windy out, use as a carseat cover to shield your baby from the elements. Nori was hungry right after we got discharged from our hospital room, so I also used this as a nursing cover to breastfeed in the lounge.
  • Going home outfit: I packed this footed onesie to keep her warm, but FYI the hospital may require you to keep the baby ankle ID tag on until you exit the building. Her tag didn’t quite fit under this, so a non-footed outfit + socks might be easier.

What To Pack In Your Hospital Bag?

I hope this postpartum recovery post was helpful! Fellow mamas – what were your hospital or postpartum must-haves?

81 Comments

1. Blair wrote:

Can’t thank you enough for this post! Just had my baby three weeks ago and this was SO helpful to know what to expect and what to buy ahead of time. Thank you so much!!

Posted 3.2.20 Reply
  2. Amari wrote:

So greatful for this article! I saved so many of these items to my list.

Posted 3.19.19 Reply
  3. Lucy wrote:

What recommendations do you have for postpartum labor recovery tops that would be good for nursing and comfort

Posted 1.29.19 Reply
  4. Shruti wrote:

This post was SO helpful – thank you!! I keep referring back to it and just ordered a few things to get my hospital bag ready as my due date approaches. It’s hard to tease out what people recommend VS what people actually use. I was curious if you thought about getting a cute delivery gown VS using the hospitals?

Posted 12.5.18 Reply
  5. Monique wrote:

Hello Jean! I’ve been following you now for about a year or two. I love seeing how practical you are in helping us petite ladies find flattering outfits for our tiny frames. Keep up the beautiful work! Anyway. I’m currently 21 weeks pregnant (found out we are having a son!). And I also find your posts about pregnancy/motherhood very informative! Congrats to your beautiful Nori.

I was curious though.. What does the healing process actually look like? We live in a tiny 2 bedroom apartment with carpet everywhere… I’m trying to anticipate all the messes that I will be making once we get home from delivering baby boy. Any practical thoughts/tips??

Posted 10.9.18 Reply
  6. Kat Lamming wrote:

Going to the bathroom after delivering (vaginally) was scarier than giving birth. I CRIED.

Posted 10.3.18 Reply
  7. cacd wrote:

Forget the naysayers, I’m so glad you shared. Your posts are informative and lovely, with eloquent honesty.

I’ve looked forward to following your journey for the very reason I knew you would be the above about it!

Posted 10.2.18 Reply
  8. Erin wrote:

hi- Great post! I just made my packing list based on this! Question: what did you end up wearing home from the hospital?

Posted 10.2.18 Reply
  9. Sharon wrote:

What diaper bag do u use for every day outing?

Posted 10.1.18 Reply
  10. Ainomiaka wrote:

I can’t tell if my previous post went through or not-how did the Kindred Bravley pajamas actually work? When you say lift up do you mean lift up from the bottom hem? Or is there a gap under the twist that you can lift? I feel silly, but I can’t figure it out. I am 23 weeks along as was looking at them for similar reasons that it sounds like you were.

Posted 9.30.18 Reply
  11. ainomiaka wrote:

okay, how does the kindred beverly pajamas lift up for nursing? I have looked and looked on the internet and can’t find a photo. You pull the whole bottom hem up? is there a gap hidden under the twist? I feel dumb, but I can’t figure it out!!

Posted 9.30.18 Reply
    • Jean | Extra Petite wrote:

Yes it lifts up and then there is a tank-like layer underneath that pulls down. Or sometimes it’s quickest if I’m at home to just lift the entire shirt up. If you go to my Instagram and click on the peach circle titled “Maternity” I have a short video at the end showing exactly how the top half lifts up and then pulls down. https://www.instagram.com/jeanwang

Posted 9.30.18 Reply
      • Ainomiaka wrote:

Thank you!

Posted 9.30.18 Reply
  12. Jengy wrote:

This is kinda personal, but I’d like to know because I want to be a mom one day, and would like to hear all of the perspectives I can. Why did you opt for a vaginal birth as opposed to a C-Section?

Super helpful post, and best of luck Jean!

Posted 9.30.18 Reply
    • Jean | Extra Petite wrote:

Hi Jengy – Since a C section is still considered a fairly major surgery, many doctors would like to avoid it unless there is a particular reason (ie if your baby is not positioned head-down for a vaginal delivery).

Posted 9.30.18 Reply
  13. Jenn wrote:

Thank you for such a detailed and specific post. This is going to be SO helpful. I’m not due for another few months but now I feel like I have a really good guide to start with and good reasons to go with these brands (like Earth Mama). Thanks again for taking the time to share all the tmi details no one talks about but us 1st time moms really need to hear.

Posted 9.29.18 Reply
  14. Allie wrote:

I think it is wonderful that women are more open about the birth experience! It used to be something frowned upon to talk about, which is ridiculous. Reading others’ experiences helps make our own feel more normal and okay. Thank you for sharing something so personal with us.

Posted 9.29.18 Reply
  15. Diane wrote:

Hello and congratulations! I have been following you for a while and this is my first time commenting. I think its wonderful that you share. I had my children many years ago and I can say recovery after birth is shocking. Reading your post brings back memories and I wished I had advice like this. Its a very overwhelming time and being prepared is helpful. Good luck to you and your lovely family. I look forward to your postings.

Posted 9.28.18 Reply
  16. Brandi wrote:

THANK YOU so much for being open and honest in this post and educating and sharing with us, especially those like myself who dont yet have kids but have always wondered about things haha.. I will definately be coming back to this post if I ever have a child. I think the post partum and recovery process should be talked about more and normalized. Im glad to hear you are healing and adjusting well! ❤😁

Posted 9.27.18 Reply
  17. Betsy Patel wrote:

I personally think it’s great that you are sharing. When I had my first baby I had no idea what to expect. All of my siblings and I were adopted so there weren’t any postpartum stories for my mom to share. My mom passed away before I got pregnant too. My mother in law is very old fashioned and just told me the stuff that she thought I would want to hear to not scare me. Women need to share more about their experiences because it could be a great help to others while keeping in mind all pregnancies are unique. I don’t think you should stop sharing.

Posted 9.27.18 Reply
  18. Angela wrote:

Thanks for sharing! I’m 32 weeks with my first and the list is very helpful to prepare for upcoming baby!

Posted 9.27.18 Reply
  19. Keisha T. wrote:

Hi Jean, thank you for sharing these details. I’m somewhat older than you, not pregnant and have never had a baby. I hope one day I will. It’s really great that you are willing to be so frank. Sure our older relatives and friends may have useful tips and advice but it’s nice someone is willing to share some more “up to date” information. I started reading your blog for the petite aspect but I’ve appreciated all the other lifestyle and health details you’ve shared.

Posted 9.27.18 Reply
  20. L wrote:

Lovely post, Jean! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us.
    Are you going to do a 1 month / 100 days / red egg party for baby Nori? I love seeing how you make traditions your own, and would be so happy to see your approach to a 1 month party!

Posted 9.27.18 Reply
    • Jean | Extra Petite wrote:

Hi L – Those are fun to attend! I wish we were having one but I don’t plan on it for no reason other than I am dead tired lol. I have a newfound respect for all parents now!

Posted 9.30.18 Reply
  21. anonymous wrote:

Sort of random–but keep those hospital issued “ketchup” bottles–I had a c-section so didn’t use them but brought them home and now they are my now-3 year old’s favorite bath toy–so much so that we snagged another when we were back in the hospital for the birth of my daughter.

Posted 9.27.18 Reply
  22. Taryn wrote:

Thanks for sharing! There is not a lot of info out there, loved all your tips! We are expecting our own Chinese/Filipino/European baby this year 😊

Posted 9.27.18 Reply
  23. Kathy wrote:

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing this post and your recent postpartum pictures on Instagram. I started following you just a little over a year ago for the style inspo when I found out I was pregnant myself. I’m the first of my friends to have a child so a lot of prenatal and postpartum information I got was through online research and following bloggers like yourself. The openness and honesty is truly so helpful. Hearing I would look 6mo pregnant after giving birth sounded ok but seeing myself look the way I did was still a total shock not to mention the belly stares I got afterwards. Being pregnant also attracted a lot of unsolicited comments and advice but being a new mom magnifies it by 1000x. I’m happy to see you facing the challenge head on and sharing it is that much more inspiring to others. Please keep doing what you’re doing and best of luck to you and your beautiful family

24. phoebe wrote:

Thanks for sharing Jean! I am expecting my second girl, 21 weeks and love all your recommendations! I need to get cuter hospital clothes this time around and now don’t need to do any research!! Congrats on your baby girl!! relax and enjoy your precious time together and take a lot of pictures and videos!!

25. Emily wrote:

Thank you for this post! I am 29 weeks in and this was super helpful! Just wondering – would you be able to do a post about the must have baby/mom items for the first 2-3 months? Would love to read your suggestions and your experiences!

Posted 9.26.18 Reply
  26. Thank you so much for sharing this, Jean! <3 🙂 Definitely going to be sending this post to my cousin, who is about to give birth! She's definitely going to find this helpful!

XO, Elizabeth T.

27. Pakou wrote:

Love the post and agree with you. There is so much information about what to expect during every stage of pregnancy with glamorous photos to illustrate, but because postpartum is so unglamorous, it’s like a dirty little secret that is taboo to write about and illustrate. We need to share more of this less glamorous, yet important part of pregnancy and motherhood.

28. Z wrote:

Thank you so much for sharing. Congrats on your baby girl.

Would you mind to review on nursing bras as my “sisters” are saggy from pregnancy and breastfeeding my 13 month old son? I’ve tried a few bras but none of them is durable or provides great support for small frame (I’m a 30/32 D/DD). I’m yet to find a good one so I wish you could help as I’m planning on breastfeeding him till he is at least 2.

29. Devinne wrote:

Thank you so much for sharing! Even though I’m in my late 20s, my pregnancy and childbirth knowledge is woefully incomplete. I really appreciate you writing about your experience–definitely helps me to know what to expect one day!

30. Allison wrote:

Thank you , Jean. I am due with my first in February and I added all the above recs to my Amazon cart. xoxoxo

31. Olivia wrote:

We went through IVF this year also and our baby girl is due in December. Your posts have been super helpful for me and have made me feel a bit more confident about the coming months! So grateful that you shared your personal journey.

32. Kimberly Epperson wrote:

Thank you for writing out honest opinions on what you used and didn’t use. As a soon-to-be, this was so helpful to get honest non-sponsored real life opinions. Thank you!

33. Mrs Tran wrote:

Wow, thank you for sharing. I’ve had 3 babies and wish I had that nifty spray bottle because yes that ketchup style body barely gets the job done. And thank u for sharing that picture. Its a reality every mom can relate too. Hope you are recovering well.

34. May wrote:

OMG! That robe looks so comfortable. I would wear it regardless lol.

May || http://themoderness.com/

35. DeeZee wrote:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! This was fantastic. I’ll be reviewing over and over as I prepare for my delivery in a few months.

36. shelly wrote:

maybe this is too gross of a question (sorry!) but with that perineal balm, are you supposed to apply it to your bottom area or do you spread the balm onto the witch hazel pads? i’m worried it might be painful to touch the bottom area directly

• Jean | Extra Petite wrote:

I initially applied it directly and literally winced each time, until I realized exactly what you mentioned and just spread it on top of the pads!

• shelly wrote:

haha ok perfect- thank you!!

37. AL wrote:

I have been following your blog for some years now, long before parenthood, and was curious which direction it would turn if/when that day came. I’m excited to see that you address birth and postpartum so matter of factly. This is how it is, nitty-gritty realities and all. These are the types of resources I found most helpful when I was a new mom as well as now. There may be great highs in mother/parenthood, but the lows can be really low too. They don’t necessarily cancel each other out, but do coexist side by side well into the toddler years (and I’m sure beyond, but we’re not there yet). To talk only about one side is a disservice to the many women coming along behind us who need to know!

PS- I’m surprised you didn’t elaborate about the sexy postpartum mesh panties made famous by Ms. Tiegen’s IG post! 😉 Such a new mom fashion must-have haha.

• AL wrote:

More thoughts… just thinking of those trolls. I’m glad you are using your non-mom audience to educate about birth and post partum realities. Normalizing this dialogue is one of the ways to help this country realize that birth is traumatic on the body and this is why we need (paid) maternity leave!

• Kate wrote:

So true AF. Postpartum recovery is traumatic physically and mentally. Why isn’t maternity leave “mandatory and fully paid” in the America?

In the media, we only see and hear picture perfect postpartum recoveries. Thank you for sharing this candid side of recovery, Jean.

Posted 9.28.18 Reply
  38. Sarah wrote:

This post is super helpful. I gave birth in June and wish I had some of this info prior. The Dermoplat would have been really helpful for me – I experienced a TON of burning and itching from the perineal stitches healing. I also wish I knew about that Frida bottle. Instead, I suffered in silence.
    I am really thrilled that you’ve chosen to talk openly about this. Being petite also presents special challenges during delivery and postpartum that (I think) are totally relevant to so many of your subscribers. I’m not one to follow blogs, but your content is always relevant to me and I am constantly following your updates. I look forward to seeing your recommendations for the following: stroller bunting for the winter (I use the Nuna – I hope you can recommend some winter accessories that fit a variety of strollers), and other general winter items for baby. I am in NYC so baby and I will be walking the streets even in the worst weather.
    Side note, I never managed to get a pain-free latch. So I have been exclusively pumping from the start. If it weren’t for the Willow pump (which fits into my nursing bra) I would’ve given up. I know you’re always on the go, I recommend checking it out – for me it was a game changer.
    I’m inspired by how you reply to trolls and support how you choose to continue to share content that you find important.

39. rissa wrote:

You are sooo amazing for posting this. I hate how secretive so many women are about postpartum recovery, and the fact that they shamed you for talking is even worse. It’s soo hard.

Please know that you are helping create a more healthy environment without shame, with open communication and education. This is not oversharing…. this is part of humanity. Women have nothing to be ashamed of. We are amazing and our healing bodies are amazing too. Thank you !!!

• AL wrote:

Amen, sister!

40. Shannon wrote:

This was so helpful!! I’m due October 30 and I’ve been doing tons of research on what to pack. The healing portion was incredibly helpful and I have an Amazon cart packed full of the essentials. Thank you for sharing!!

41. KittyC wrote:

Lovely and thoughtful post!

42. Bethany wrote:

Thank you so much for being so open about all of your experiences! There’s no such thing as TMI a far as I’m concerned. 😀 I’m expecting my first in March and this is just the post I needed!

43. Melanie Swartzell wrote:

Congrats on your beautiful baby girl:)
    You mentioned in your post that nars concealer and Laura Mercer concealer are on sale. Where? It doesn’t show when I click on the link? Thanks:)

• Jean | Extra Petite wrote:

Hi Melanie! They were 15% off at Nordstrom as of yesterday but I think that sale just ended : / I believe Sephora may be having a friends & family event soon, though!

44. Georgette wrote:

Thank you SO much for posting everything you did, but especially the postpartum photo. You are tiny and lovely and anything but curvy… but it’s so helpful to see how things look even on your petite frame. You help settle fears and manage expectations in this day of celebrities who mysteriously shrink back to flat bellies in 5 minutes, it seems. You are a wonderful soul. Keep up the good work!

45. KFM wrote:

Thanks so much for sharing. This was so helpful! I’m a FTM 34w3 and will be packing my hospital bag shortly and love how honest you were about sharing what you used/helpful vs not. Much love to the fam!

46. Mary wrote:

Thank you Jean for being so open and honest about the postpartum period! This discussion needs to happen more often.

47. Lillian wrote:

Very appreciative for your willingness to share these photos – esp your “postpartum day 3 look” as it is, in my experience, far more realistic than what is often shown in the media (i.e., Kate Middleton in her postpartum debut photos).

48. Courtney wrote:

Super helpful, Jean. Just entered third trimester, so starting to think about what to pack for the hospital. Thank you!

49. mai wrote:

Jean you are so awesome and AMAZING writing this post along with all the pics. THANK YOU!!! I wish I had read something like yours before I gave birth to my first!!! The disposable ice packs were the BEST for me postpartum, I had to use them constantly due to a lot of tearing and so much swelling. Love that you bring these issues to light and are transparent – just reiterates to me that you’re the best :D.

50. Beatriz wrote:

Jean!!! I have a similar post on my Blog in the lifestyle block. I lived this situation a year and a half ago, and I remember it so beautiful moment with my girl. (I have also a boy!!!)
    My babygirl was so tiny that almos nothing of the garments I wore was appropriate for her!!!😨 But it wasn’t a problem!😊The important thing is that she was healthy and so beautiful. We were so happy!!!…
    XoXo,

Posted 9.26.18 Reply
  51. I “awww” so much every time I see photos of you and your new family, Jean 🙂 You guys are so beautiful. And I swear, you look so put together in all of the photos! Your guide will be so useful for petite girls like us!

52. Kaitlin wrote:

I’m in my mid-20s and won’t be having any babies for a while. I’ve loved kids all my life but I’ve always been so afraid of having one. Your posts have be so helpful in soothing those fears and giving me more insight into childbirth and post partum recovery. Thanks (:

53. Lesley wrote:

Great post! I wish I had known about the compression band with my first. I remember the first time I left the house and ran into a store (baby was with Daddy) someone asked me “when are you due?” and I was like “waaaah! I already had the baby!” It took quite a while for all the bloating to subside. I’ll be ordering a band before the next baby comes in a few weeks.

54. Brooke wrote:

My comfy stretchy robe was a must!! While I knew I needed to pack clothes for myself, I wasn’t exactly sure what to bring. Luckily, I had a robe packed away because1, with not being so sure on what to pack, and 2, not having my hospital bag 100% packed when my water broke while home alone, thought out packing didn’t happen for me. I too forgot a going home outfit, and what I went to the hospital in got soiled with fluids, some stretchy pants and my robe ended up being great during my stay and for going home.

Posted 9.26.18 Reply
  55. Wow Jean, what an open blogpost. I am sure many mummies-to -be can find quite some useful tips. Love, Lieske

56. Anonymous wrote:

Nowhere near becoming a mother, but thank you for sharing your delivery and postpartum/recovery experiences! It is not talked about enough, probably due to a combination of lack of time trying to deal with the baby, trying to get your body to heal at the same time (with the possible trauma of giving birth in general), but this definitely helps remove some of the stigma of women talking about the details and business of birth.

(Also, some really dense men out there will have one more account of written proof of what the realities of giving birth is like. May stories like these continue to fall on their delicate ears!)

57. Andrea wrote:

Thank you so much for sharing these details! I’m 22w with my first and I feel so overwhelmed with all the details and planning. It’s nice to have a post like this to reflect on to help reduce the billions of plans I still need to make. ♥️

58. Kara wrote:

Thank you for sharing!!! We are due in 3 weeks with our first and loved following you on your journey 🙂 I’ve been a fan of your blog for a couple years now.

59. Ellie wrote:

As scared as I am about the effects of pregnancy/delivery/breastfeeding, I weirdly feel a little better knowing more of what to expect one day. It makes it less of this undefined, scary mystery and more of a bunch of variables that are both normal and have solutions. Thank you for “going there” and not holding back because some people are uncomfortable or tell you not to. You made this (maybe someday) mama feel much better! (Plus you make those mesh undies look like cute little boyshorts! Haha)

60. Yándary wrote:

Thank you for sharing! Not a mom yet, but posts like this help me feel more ready for when my time comes.

61. Mimi wrote:

Thanks Jean for the very informative and helpful postpartum tips. I wish I’ve read a post like this before I had my son. I certainly overpacked my hospital bag since the hospital did provide all the baby essentials. Btw, baby Nori is super adorable in that car seat. Her chubby cheeks are just too cute!!! I wanted to ask you what are the boob tubes Nick heated up for you in his instagram page? I’ve never heard of it 😁

• Jean | Extra Petite wrote:

They are these flaxseed-filled fabric coils (on the nightstand in the Nick’s Instagram photo) by Earth Mama Organics. You can microwave them or refrigerate them to help alleviate pain from clogged ducts or just to help with milk let down : )

• Mimi wrote:

I didn’t know those exist. I had so many plugged ducts while nursing my son. Definitely gonna recommend those to any new mamas I know. Thanks Jean!

62. Anonymous wrote:

I needed a straightforward list like this to help me prepare. Thanks so much for sharing. ❤️

63. Sandy wrote:

Super super helpful. Not enough people talk about postpartum and what recovery means and what these things are used for. Love this post! Thank you Jean!

Posted 9.26.18 Reply
  64. Not sharing these details is why so many mothers are in shock after giving birth – no one talks about the postpartum experience! I make it a point to discuss frankly and freely with expecting parents if they want to know. Healing after childbirth is a process.

So glad you seem to be doing well and I hope feeding is much less painful for you now. I know it’s not nearly as easy as people make it out to be.

Posted 9.25.18 Reply
  65. Ashley wrote:

Thank you so much, Jean! I am 34w and have most of the items from your list picked out!! The tips were incredibly helpful & things I will keep in mind. So nervous but also excited!

Posted 9.25.18 Reply
  66. Chris wrote:

Great ideas!! I’m getting ready for baby 3 and I will have to check out the bidet bottle. Keep the free lanolin even if you don’t use it on your nipples – it makes a great cuticle treatment!

Posted 9.25.18 Reply
  67. Jenn wrote:

I have two children and wish I had read a post like yours before having my first.
    I think it’s brave that you share your stories without sugarcoating the raw details.
    It’s so true that many women don’t share these details as they feel it is private, so most new mothers are in for a bit of a shock postpartum. I know I was.

Posted 9.25.18 Reply
  68. Very lovely ideas for any Mom to be. Love your organization and preparation skill!

Posted 9.25.18 Reply
    • Coco wrote:

Love it! Thank you for the tips, even the personal ones. I wouldn’t otherwise know to prepare for it.

Get the newsletter!

What updates would you like?