• Amalfi lemon grove tour + Italian cooking class

amalfi coast italy lemon grove tour

This West Kei dress was a random (and super affordable) find – some of the colors have sold out, but it just got re-stocked in classic shades like black, gray, and red! I’ve heard so much great feedback from those of you who also picked this up. The stretchy jersey-like material is soft and forgiving over a growing bump, and the high-low length is petite-friendly (for reference, I’m about 5 feet tall). It made for the comfiest travel piece paired with these cushioned sandals that I wore on repeat!

amalfi coast italy lemons travel guide
    Continuing our tour along the Amalfi Coast, one of the stops I most eagerly anticipated was our visit to this expansive Amalfi lemon grove. Aside from finding the photo backdrop of my dreams, we loved learning about the history and hard work behind a 6th-generation family business dedicated to organic, sustainable farming. The people we met oozed passion for what they do (“the lemons are my babies!” one owner Sal put it).  Nick and I both love to cook, so we continued our day there with a homestyle cooking class featuring some of the plentiful fresh lemons. The wine and food flowed a little TOO freely during this class – we were all so stuffed we had to be rolled home!

Amalfi Coast Lemon Tour

Cost: 20 Euros per person

The standard lemon tours run daily Monday – Saturday, meeting at 10:15AM in front of the main church at Amalfi town square (refer to this blog post on getting to Amalfi from other coastal towns). You’ll see little green golf carts congregating there, which you hop in and ride for about 5 minutes to reach the groves (you’ll need to walk back into town after the tour is over).

The tour itself is ~1.5 hours long, and does require the ability to walk on a sometimes steep dirt path. You start by learning the history of the grove and sampling one of their fresh and huge juicy lemons. We enjoyed it peel, rind and everything – basically like eating an apple slice! After an informative trek through the hilly terrain, you’re rewarded at the end with a tasting of lemon cake, lemonade, and limoncello.

honeymoon couple thing to do amalfi coast italy vacation

The Lemon Cooking Class

Cost: 140 Euros per person; includes the lemon tour first

The price of this cooking class is pretty steep and also spans over several hours (due to the leisurely pace of everything in the area, it seems). It didn’t wrap up until 4PM, so I’d only recommend it if you have a good chunk of time available and aren’t rushing to another destination!

Price aside, we did love how casual and authentic the class felt, like being in your aunt’s kitchen cooking a rustic meal (and enjoying it together afterwards, family-style!). We started by making a simple veggie dish and two pastas from scratch – scialatelli (local favorite like a thicker, shorter fettuccini – the texture is soo good when fresh!) and gnocchi. Nick’s head got a little too big, as he kept getting praised for his dough consistency and asked if he were a professional chef back home…

couple cooking class amalfi coast italy vacation

The ladies then showed us how to make super simple sauces for each pasta, and finished boiling & preparing everything as the hungry students rested with prosecco in hand.

pasta cooking class amalfi coast italy activities

Course 1 – Fresh scialatelli tossed with garlic, lemon, olive oil. Nick claims this was the best dish of the trip!

gnocchi cooking class amalfi coast italy

Course 2 – The most pillowy fresh gnocchi with a light pesto

homestyle cooking class amalfi coast italy

Course 3 – Smoked cheese wrapped in lemon leaf, baked eggplant, and veggie hash

amalfi lemon tour cooking class review tiramisu

Course 4 –  “Chef” Nick whipping up lemon tiramisu for dessert

amalfi coast vacation activities lemon grove

Photos don’t do the grove justice. The seemingly endless hills of lemon trees, the sweet & fresh aroma in the air…

This post is part of my main Amalfi Coast itinerary & travel guide. Also check out my Instagram “stories” today, as I’ll be sharing some video snippets from our cooking class!

21 thoughts on “Amalfi lemon grove tour + Italian cooking class

• Reply Mimi June 14, 2018 at 11:10 pm

You look great in yellow! Reading this post makes me crave for some authentic pasta. Haven’t had it in a long time. I’m probably gonna go out tomorrow and get some pasta…hopefully by that time I will be as hungry as I am now haha. Have a great weekend pretty mama.

• Reply Roses for Fridays | by mia June 15, 2018 at 1:14 am

How delightful to have a cooking class in Amalfi … the land of love and food .,, such a very lovely ♥️post! 🌷👍🏻🌷

• Reply Elizabeth T. June 15, 2018 at 1:38 am

Wow, such a gorgeous outfit! <3 🙂 And yayyyy for the lemon tour! I think I'm definitely going to enjoy it if I ever go to the Amalfi Coast!

XO, Elizabeth

• Reply Ashley Frei June 15, 2018 at 1:42 am

You guys are such a cute couple! The Amalfi Coast is such a beautiful special place! I wish I could go back every year! Mind if I ask what Nike’s ancestry is? I know you’re full Chinese right? I am too. 😊 can’t wait to see your baby girl! Congrats again!!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog June 15, 2018 at 1:53 am

When I go on vacations, the one thing I must do in a new spot is to go to a cooking class! The lemon tour cooking class sounds so unique! I love how you coordinated your yellow outfit too! 🙂 ❤️

• Reply Rena June 15, 2018 at 3:23 am

Wonderful your yellow dress under the lemon tree!
      xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Reply YZ Chan June 15, 2018 at 3:49 am

Gorgeous yellow dress! The pasta looks incredibly delicious. 🙂

• Reply Simona Adamcova June 15, 2018 at 6:40 am

Hmmmm Gnochi looks amazing!! I have to try some new meals because I always cook just Slovak traditional meals at home, but there is sooo many great meals to try! I have to experiment now a little bit :)) Well I love the first pictures of you, your lovely yellow outfit under the lemon tree! I have never seen lemons on tree in my life…lovely place for a photoshoot 🙂

• Reply Karen June 15, 2018 at 9:30 am

Jean, could you do a post about all the outfits (and accessories) you took on your trip? I am amazed by your packing abilities! You look beautiful and stylish in all your photos.

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses June 15, 2018 at 11:39 am

OMG goals! That lemon grove looks amazing, and I love your dress – you really suit yellow Jean!

Happy FriYAY!
      Michael

• Reply Mademoiselle Coconath June 15, 2018 at 3:32 pm

Such a perfect location! You look amazing in this yellow dress!
      xx

• Reply Nicole June 15, 2018 at 6:41 pm

Thank you for sharing your cooking class and your experience at the lemon grove. The food looks fantastic! I hope to do something like this in the near future possibly for a future honeymoon in Italy :).

• Reply Deasy @ Rose Gold Rhyme June 15, 2018 at 8:01 pm

Ah, the photos are so pretty (and delicious looking!). A cooking class seems like a perfect activity to do in Italy.

• Reply WEEKEND READING - Design Darling June 16, 2018 at 8:00 am

[…] How beautiful is this lemon grove on the Amalfi Coast? […]

• Reply Mireia June 16, 2018 at 1:16 pm

This is super cute!

• Reply Anonymous June 16, 2018 at 1:29 pm

I would love to hear anyone’s thoughts on how to choose a yellow color that suits you, especially for warm undertone Asian skin. Also what do you think about mustard yellow for summer? Is it too Fall/Winter? I think it could work for Spring/Summer depending on how you style it?

• Reply Petite Teacher June 16, 2018 at 3:22 pm

Italian food is hard to beat and so are your photos and blogposts Jean! Love, Lieske

• Reply Maureen June 17, 2018 at 7:45 am

That yellow dress is made for you! It looks so beautiful and perfect. I love a good pasta and while I am still getting used to the taste of gnocchi. Sounds like a great place to relax as well.

Maureen | http://www.littlemisscasual.com

• Reply Jandrew June 17, 2018 at 6:48 pm

Lemon’s so beautiful 🍋. I want to say Jean you look great in this lemon maxi dress .
      Jandrew
      Dress The Part

• Reply May June 18, 2018 at 1:03 am

The cooking class looks amazing! Your dress matches perfectly with the lemon backdrop too!

May || http://themoderness.com

• Reply Crystal September 6, 2018 at 3:39 pm

Looks amazing! How far out would you recommend making the reservations for the lemon tour & cooking class? thanks!