Pretty in pleats // Nursing-friendly wedding style

wedding guest dress outfit ideas circle handbag purse

Hello from the West Coast! We’ve been in California this past week, visiting family and celebrating our dear friends’ wedding (congrats Bobby & Jenny!). My in-laws offered to babysit so we weren’t initially planning on bringing baby Nori to the festivities, but got a hotel room last-minute to be closer to the venue. As Nick was in the bridal party, it was a full day affair so I needed a nursing-friendly wedding guest outfit with quick and easy access!

breastfeeding dress formal wedding outfit idease

Tiered Pleated Dress

The dress I originally packed did not work, but thankfully I found this dreamy one from Morning Lavender. The shoulder and waist are elasticized so it’s very stretchy and forgiving, and the top pulls down easily for a breastfeeding or pumping session. Several of you asked whether it’s maternity-friendly, so I just tried it on with a pillow stuffed in the belly and thought it looks so cute with a bump! The dress is lined, the tiered pleats flow as you walk, and a major bonus is this is travel-friendly and doesn’t wrinkle. I had jammed it into my diaper bag, and the pleats survived just fine.

Fit-wise, this dress is fairly true to size. Unfortunately size S is the smallest available – it works on me postpartum (I wear 0/XS in most brands currently), but is likely too loose for very petite ladies who usually wear xxs. I liked it unbelted, but ordered a wide belt just to add some waist definition (this one is very average quality, but I was short on time and all my belts were in Boston!). I had only packed nude heels and a blush bag for my original outfit, so this look ended up monochromatic with some of the shades slightly off…oh well!

Bra situation: If you’re not nursing, a standard strapless bra would work or I recommend my trusty Bristols 6 adhesive nippies (several mamas have said these still work for them between breastfeeding sessions!). I only had a regular bra with me so had to make do with the straps tucked in, but ideally for nursing I’d suggest a soft fabric bandeau bra (like this one or this one) that can fold down easily from the top, with your own nursing pads tucked inside if needed.

Measurements of sz S when lying flat: 12″ across the waist, stretches up to 15″ across. 17″ across the armpits. 16″ across the elasticized top that goes across the shoulders, 38″ total length.

Circle Bag

This mini circle bag is from one of my favorite mid-priced handbag brands. See how else I’ve styled it here and here! I also own and love their chic box shaped bag (see it styled here and here) which is a dupe for Marc Cross for a fraction of the price. Both of the TDE bags I have are petite-friendly, great quality, and made of durable saffiano leather, plus have detachable shoulder straps for versatility!

Block-heeled Sandals

Since the ceremony was on a grassy surface, I made sure to bring my stable block heeled sandals instead of stilettos that’d end up aerating the lawn! See these shoes also worn in my maternity photoshoot. This style sandal has been around for years and comes in dozens of colors and materials, but I went the safest neutral, classic nude leather. The Sam Edelman site is the only retailer I’ve seen that carries them down to a size 4!

Baby Gear

At the suggestion of a friend, we ordered these noise reduction baby earmuffs for the wedding last minute and were so glad we did! There were several other young attendees at the wedding with the same exact earmuffs. Despite loud music and noisy chatter, Nori was able to sleep soundly for the majority of the reception in our Baby Bjorn “Mini” carrier. I’ve gotten lots of questions on this carrier via Instagram since Nick uses it everywhere! The downside is you can only use it the first year because it’s Mini and designed for newborns, however it is MUCH smaller and more compact than the “transitional” carriers we tried on. We love the size and streamlined style, and Nori fusses a little initially but ends up getting comfy in it pretty much every time.

baby noise reduction earmuffs headphones loud wedding

Left: switched into my LOFT Modern Mules (older color) for dancing & nursing with my Copper Pearl cover
Right: Nori fast asleep in her L’oved Baby footie, with Banz earmuffs on in the Baby Bjorn Mini (top folded back)

fall wedding style pleated tiered dress outfit ideas
nursing friendly wedding guest formal outfit

36 thoughts on “Pretty in pleats // Nursing-friendly wedding style

• Reply Kandi October 29, 2018 at 10:56 pm

This is gorgeous & I will order ASAP! Could you recommend a nursing friendly bra to wear with this? I would greatly appreciate it!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 30, 2018 at 12:05 am

HI Kandi! Thanks for the reminder – I just updated the post with a section about bras!

• Reply Lydia L D'Antonio October 29, 2018 at 11:36 pm

Those noise cancelling earmuffs are the cutest! Such a beautiful dress, I love how nursing friendly it is and will definitely be keeping this in mind for the very near future myself!

XO – LydiaLouise

• Reply Roses for Fridays | by mia October 30, 2018 at 12:16 am

Always looking pretty in everything you chose to wear. Very lovely!

🍂🌸🍁ROSES FOR FRIDAYS 🍂🌸🍁 | by mia | A Creative Lifestyle Blog

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog October 30, 2018 at 12:52 am

The dress is beautiful, Jean, and so handy too! I love the colour of it! 🙂 ❤️

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

• Reply Jessica October 30, 2018 at 1:07 am

Hi Jean! Could you write about how you and nick traveled with an infant? For example, did you pack the car seat and stroller? Check bags or carried on? Thanks in advance !

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 5, 2018 at 5:28 pm

Hi Jessica! Working on a post now! But definitely check with your airline their policies about baby-related baggage since I know some differ.

• Reply Neeltje | Thoughts in Style October 30, 2018 at 3:03 am

This dress is so pretty! X

• Reply Rena October 30, 2018 at 4:30 am

The dress is wonderful and you look perfect in it!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses October 30, 2018 at 4:40 am

Your pleated dress is absolutely beautiful, Jean! And those noise cancelling headphones are the cutest! Loving all of your posts as always! Sending love from North England!

I hope you have a great Tuesday,
    Michael

• Reply Peppermint Dolly October 30, 2018 at 5:09 am

You look stunning! Glad little Nori is doing well 🙂

Rebecca | http://www.peppermintdolly.com

• Reply Mireia October 30, 2018 at 5:45 am

This dress is too cute!

Mireia from TGL <3

• Reply Kara Williamson October 30, 2018 at 7:25 am

Love this dress; you look gorgeous! Is there a belt you would recommend if you had more time (or access to your closet!) instead? I do see the variations in color which still looks good, but perhaps something that may go better with your shoes that you could suggest? I have similar nude sandals from Stewart Weitzman so just curious.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 5, 2018 at 5:30 pm

Hi Kara! My default for dressier outfits is almost always my Hermes Constance or Talbots belts that don’t have the tail flopping around (the design is so that the tail is hidden on the inside). I would’ve probably chosen white or orange for a pop of color but I do like the more monochromatic look with a nude color here too!

• Reply Kayla October 30, 2018 at 8:12 am

Do you have recommendations for baby carriers that will fit petite moms?

• Reply BeeBee October 31, 2018 at 11:31 am

Yes please! I had such a heard time finding one. The classic ones overwhelmed my body.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 5, 2018 at 5:31 pm

Hi Kaya, I use the Baby Bjorn Mini as well! Especially more now that Nori doesn’t like the soft wraps very much anymore. The Baby Bjorn Mini fits me so much better than the traditional ones, but as mentioned above it will only fit baby up to a certain stage.

• Reply Reese Oakley October 30, 2018 at 9:00 am

Can you write a post about flying with a 2-3 month old? I am anticipating having to do the same thing for a wedding this spring and am looking for reassurance and tips.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 5, 2018 at 5:32 pm

Hi Reese – yes, I’m working on it now! I had tons of anxiety leading up to the trip but after having one under your belt, you’ll be fine (although I’m definitely not in a rush to do another one soon lol)

• Reply S October 30, 2018 at 10:13 am

Great dress! Would love to see a post about tips for plane travel with a newborn.

• Reply Allison October 30, 2018 at 10:56 am

Absolutely elegant! You were smart to go for blocked heels. I loveee that you can monogram that bag! xo

Allison | Peplums & Pie

• Reply Rosy October 30, 2018 at 11:15 am

Love this dress! Too bad size small is sold out. Ordered a medium, just to try it out.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 5, 2018 at 5:32 pm

Hi Rosy, if the Medium doesn’t fit, I just heard from Morning Lavender that they should be restocking the S in mid december.

• Reply Jae October 30, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Love that circle bag! I really need to get one. Do you think the Daily Edited ones are comparable to Mansur Gavriel in terms of quality?
    Jae

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 5, 2018 at 5:33 pm

They are pretty similar, but the Mansur one I have is a thicker smooth leather so its not like comparing apples to apples.

• Reply Petite Teacher October 30, 2018 at 3:41 pm

A very romantic dress Jean and travel-friendly too, which is a bonus I highly value in dresses. Love, Lieske

• Reply Elizabeth T. October 30, 2018 at 10:03 pm

This is such a classy dress, Jean <3 🙂 I'm in love with the pleats and the tiered details! You styled it beautifully! Hope you all enjoyed your time in LA!

XO, Elizabeth T.

• Reply Anon October 30, 2018 at 11:05 pm

What a pretty dress Jean! It’s so reassuring to see that you can still look stylish and beautiful even post-partum. I’m wondering if you could ever comment on how your body changed post-partum and how you feel about it. I’ve grown up hearing many women criticize their post-partum bodies and I have a really negative perception of the changes, so I’m wondering what you think.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 5, 2018 at 5:36 pm

Hi there – yes I’m definitely open to doing a post after I get back into a rhythm. I’ve had a challenging time postpartum emotionally / mentally, but I’m actually really happy with my body despite a pretty significant belly still and breasts that are starting to sag! I don’t mind the physical changes because of the life it created and is nurturing on a day to day basis, and I haven’t started working out just because time is so limited for now. However, the changes I described above are just what I’m experiencing personally… I know tons of women whose bodies bounce back in no time, some thanks to healthy eating and working out but some just thanks to genetics!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog October 31, 2018 at 12:19 am

You look amazing, Jean! You always manage to look stylish no matter what. Love the colour of your dress, it’s super girly and beautiful! 🙂 ❤️

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

• Reply Kelcy October 31, 2018 at 11:43 am

I love the pleats and layers on the dress. And the fact that it doesn’t wrinkle is amazing.

• Reply Shoetopia October 31, 2018 at 3:23 pm

LOVE this outfit! Such a beautiful dress!!!

• Reply Yachy October 31, 2018 at 3:27 pm

Such a really pretty dress! Ain’t no way my body will look great in a pleated dress ); It looks great on you and formal enough for a Wedding!

@happilyeveralanis | Happily Ever Alanis

• Reply minau October 31, 2018 at 5:19 pm

Gorgeous dress!

• Reply Linda November 6, 2018 at 9:28 am

You look amazing girl. Love this outfit! SOOOO CUTE!
    Thanks for sharing!
    much love, Linda

• Reply SundayDahlias November 7, 2018 at 5:31 pm

I am in love with that dress❤💛Its so feminine and soft. You look gorgeous in it