• Classic Wrap Coat (on sale) + Dolman Sweater

ann taylor wrap winter coat petite outerewar

If you missed out on this wool-blend wrap coat in years past, run don’t walk ~ it’s now back in new colors and is currently on sale! You can see my older blog post w/ more pictures of this coat.  Black is always classic and the new Taupe color is a light, neutral beige that’s easy to pair. Here’s a few other sale new arrivals that I got to try on:

• Pin dot tie neck blouse – A really lovely (and nursing friendly!) work blouse in a muted burnt sienna color, perfect for fall. The pin dots are subtle and the top looks reminiscent of silk but is machine washable! Fit is true to size and my usual xxs petite fit well.
    • Elora slingback pumps – classic, elegant leather slingback with a flattering lower front cut. I found the pointed toe area to run on the narrow side.
    • Striped tunic tee – So much softer and more comfortable than I expected. I tried on xxs regular, which is a casual fit on me and a longer length to wear with leggings.
    • Faux fur vest – If you’re looking for an elevated faux fur vest, this one is super plush.
    • Also see my recent blog post for this navy blouse, speckled skirt + bow pumps all on sale!

petite fashion blog postpartum update

Bow blouse xxsp, knit skirt xxsp, bow heels 5.5 (everything is 40% off + free ship) – outfit c/o. All items are reviewed in this blog post

Here are a few other great F&F events + sales that kicked off for the long weekend!

• Express: 40% off everything, no code needed. See my most recent blog post for a draped Fall trench outfit, this post for a classic sheath dress in black or cream, and this post for a flirty little ruffled dress. Everything listed here comes in both petites & regular sizing!
    • J.Crew: 40% off everything with code BIGSALE
    • LOFT: 40% off everything with code FALLFEST
    • Banana Republic: 40% off everything, no code needed
    • Bloomingdales: 25% off items marked Friends & Family
    • Saks: 25% off items marked Friends & Family

casual fall sweaters petite clothing blog

This sweater is one of those pieces you’ll want in all the colors. It’s so soft and comfortable, and the cut lends that slouchy, effortlessly chic vibe. Grey and navy are wardrobe staples but I went with this burnt sienna color that’s unmistakably “Autumn.” The material is ribbed and lighter in weight yet warm. It has a flattering mock neck (not so high that you end up with “no neck” syndrome), dolman sleeves, and a slouchy fit in the torso that narrows down around the bottom hem.

copper pearl breastfeeding nursing cover
    babyzen yoyo stroller review copper pearl cover

I get questions on how I can be wearing sweaters like this while breastfeeding and I literally just lift up the bottom hem. I have a couple of these multi-purpose covers for nursing in public, and they are large enough to cover most of my torso so I’m not flashing bare belly when my top is lifted. In one outing alone I used mine as a blanket for baby, nursing cover, and then carseat cover (when it got windy and drizzly) so these covers are truly versatile!

33 thoughts on “Classic Wrap Coat (on sale) + Dolman Sweater

• Reply Gwen Kennedy October 4, 2018 at 5:01 pm

Jean – you were all the way over in Brookline in these photos – right in my neighborhood! 🙂 Happy to see you and baby Nori are doing well. She is a darling… and that burnt sienna sweater (one of my favorite colored crayons as a child) is lovely. I just received two pairs of AT’s tasseled suede flats on sale – toffee and navy. You would love them!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 8, 2018 at 2:22 am

Hi Gwen! I used to live right there as well and miss it so much.

• Reply S October 4, 2018 at 5:14 pm

Hi Jean,

I’ve read your website on and off for years, I think, but never commented – so here’s a start! Many many congratulations on the arrival of your baby. She is clearly so loved and adored by your husband and yourself. I have a ten month old son so I have some idea of what it’s like to be a new mum (it’s amazing how much one forgets though…I genuinely can’t remember large chunks of the early months already!). It’s such a challenging time and the goalpost keeps on shifting every few weeks, but I’m just so proud of you and all new mums – it’s such a wonderful achievement and I hope you’re getting all the encouragement and support you need and more. And how wonderful that you’ve managed to develop your blog into a flourishing business – being self-employed, I imagine, has lots of benefits for juggling work & motherhood, especially in the US where maternity leave/pay is not guaranteed!

I ended up breastfeeding until returning to work fairly recently, but one of the things I found helpful were tanktops that had a nursing clip (like these: hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0534164001.html – n.b. I found these a bit long in length. Very comfortable though). If you wear one of those under a sweater or a top then you don’t show any bare skin when you lift up the top to feed the little one. I also became quite blasé about ‘whipping out the boob’ even in front of strangers, especially because I felt strongly that mothers shouldn’t be made to feel embarrassed or self-conscious for feeding their babies in public, but I appreciate that not every mum may feel that way:). For me it helped that in the UK there are laws protecting breastfeeding mothers from discrimination – woe betide you if, as an establishment, you ask a breastfeeding mum to cover herself or to leave!!!

All the best to you xx

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 8, 2018 at 2:23 am

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful and encouraging comment! Great tip on the nursing tank under tops to be lifted up. I have a few of the h&m nursing tanks and didn’t think to layer them under this for some reason!

• Reply Jen October 15, 2018 at 8:53 am

Gap, Target and Old Navy have awesome nursing tanks, too with the convenient clip. I never wore a bra while nursing/pumping at work – just a tank with a top. Total lifesaver!

• Reply Roses for Fridays | by mia October 4, 2018 at 5:57 pm

Such a beautiful look for Fall … really love it!

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses October 4, 2018 at 6:24 pm

Nori is just the sweetest thing! Also, loving your style as always Jean! That wrap coat is gorgeous!

Happy Thursday!
      Michael

• Reply Skylar October 4, 2018 at 6:47 pm

I absolutely love your style. I am a petite girl myself— stores such as Loft or J Crew have great selections for us tiny thangs 🙂

• Reply Liv October 4, 2018 at 9:29 pm

Love your fall style!

Liv

• Reply Clickhappy October 4, 2018 at 9:32 pm

Love all the practical baby equipment tips. I’ve debated between both of your strollers but I really don’t have space for two in my “cozy” city apartment. Would you recommend the Cruz or Yoyo and why?

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 8, 2018 at 2:26 am

Hi there – that’s a tough one! Not sure if you read my earlier blog post on the Cruz and some notes on the YOYO in comparison. I would say that if 1) you don’t live in an area with very uneven brick & cobblestone sidewalks like I do; 2) you don’t need large undercarriage storage space; and 3) you don’t have bad winter weather that coats the ground with slush and gunk then I would pick the YOYO. The design is kinda genius and so portable and convenient.

• Reply Briana October 4, 2018 at 10:22 pm

I’m not sure what I love more, that coat or the orange sweater?!

Briana

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog October 4, 2018 at 11:20 pm

I love the wrap coat – bonus that it’s in a neutral grey colour too! Always looking so beautiful, Jean! 🙂

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

• Reply Peppermint Dolly October 5, 2018 at 3:50 am

The wrap coat is on sale…??? AND I’M RUNNING!!!! 🙂

Rebecca | http://www.peppermintdolly.com

• Reply Mireia October 5, 2018 at 4:41 am

In love with that sweater! The color is perfect for fall!

• Reply Debbie Savage October 5, 2018 at 9:12 am

Love all of the fall styling tips here! The coat is gorgeous! The photo of you nursing your angel is so sweet! I miss that part of mommyhood. Happy Friday!
      xo Debbie | http://www.tothineownstylebetrue.com

• Reply Christine October 5, 2018 at 10:13 am

Can you do a tutorial on how to tie your wrap coats?

• Reply Rani October 6, 2018 at 6:54 am

Hi there…do you follow Jean on Instagram? She posted a story on ‘how to tie a belt’ in the past year. We’re in luck b/c there are several ‘how to’ videos on there which are very helpful. She’s just so lovely! Hope you find the find the tutorials!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 8, 2018 at 2:28 am

Thank you Rani for helping answer and for your kind words!

Christine, just to add to that if you go to my Instagram homepage look for the pink circles and the one titled “how to.” Hope that helps!

• Reply S October 5, 2018 at 10:49 am

After seeing your post about this lovely wool-blend wrap coat for three years now, I finally decided to bite the bullet! Can you provide a brief tutorial on how to tie that awesome looking bow-tie on the coat?

Thank you!!

S

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 8, 2018 at 2:30 am

Hi there ~ I hope you like it! It’s one of my most worn ones for sure bc the wrap is so forgiving. See my response right above about the belt tying! : )

• Reply Em October 5, 2018 at 11:48 am

Jean! So good to see you back. Also, lovely to see your daughter – how adorable! Loving the clothing sales and updates.

• Reply Revanche @ A Gai Shan Life October 5, 2018 at 12:15 pm

Yet another reason to love fall – fantastic sweaters and coats!

I was going to marvel at how you were juggling new baby, the blog, and possibly a return to work but I just read S’s comment above. Are you running EP full time now? A very belated congratulations, if so! <3

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 8, 2018 at 2:33 am

Hey lady! I’ve been working for myself for a while now and hoping to expand on some new ideas but it’s on hold with the arrival of baby : ) After these few weeks I have such newfound respect and admiration for all moms, whether working or stay at home, because both roles are no joke!

• Reply Jen H October 5, 2018 at 4:36 pm

Can you do a tutorial on how to do the waves in this post?

• Reply Elizabeth T. October 5, 2018 at 4:57 pm

In love with this coat <3 🙂 It's super chic! And love how you styled it so perfectly! Oh, those nursing covers really are so versatile!

XO, Elizabeth T.

• Reply Petite Teacher October 6, 2018 at 3:33 am

I had to smile when I read your ‘no neck syndrome’ sentence. I do indeed own a sweater with a turtle neck so high, that my neck totally vanishes. Such a shame, since I do like the sweater for many other reasons. Much more practical to buy one with a lower neck. Well…mistakes in life are there to learn from. Happy weekend Jean and thanks for making me smile. Love, Lieske

• Reply Anika May October 6, 2018 at 11:59 am

Love the sweater, perfect colour for autumn!

Anika | anikamay.co.uk

• Reply Rachel Johnson October 6, 2018 at 3:11 pm

Hi Jean,
      Some really nice ideas for the season. The colors are vibrant and look amazing with denim.

• Reply May October 6, 2018 at 7:10 pm

Such a fan of Ann Taylor. The coat looks amazing on you and a seriously good staple for the fall/winter months.

May || https://themoderness.com

• Reply The Career Edit October 7, 2018 at 6:56 am

The wrap coat is gorgeous and such a great way to elevate a fall outfit!

• Reply Tricia October 19, 2018 at 8:17 am

Did you alter the length of the coat? If not, do you think the length could be easily altered? I feel like it will be too long on me according to the dimensions.