• Our “Journey to Parenthood” Themed Baby Shower

boston baby bridal shower maternity dress outfit

ASOS dress sz 4 altered (love their maternity line), Hat Hive fascinator, AT pumps (similar)
    On Nick – J.Crew 484 pants, TH suspenders

Last month, we had a coed celebration for our baby girl with some of our very thoughtful and generous friends and family! We were surprised and grateful that so many out-of-towners made the trip to join us in Boston. The party theme was “journey to parenthood” with a vintage, European travel style twist. I’ve always loved the idea of ladies from the past in hats and gloves, boarding trains carrying beautiful hat boxes and leather travel trunks. If you’re planning a bridal or baby shower, a royal wedding or tea party theme would be similarly fun reasons to get dressed up!

boston coed baby shower maternity shoot couple outfits

vintage floral arrangement travel theme wedding shower
    Our shower was at SRV in Boston’s South End, which has an airy private patio space with bistro lighting (a rare find in the midst of the city). Unfortunately it was pouring rain that day, but our florist Teresa did an incredible job re-orchestrating things for indoors at the last minute. My jaw literally dropped when we arrived – I thought her gorgeous display was fit for a wedding, and she nailed the vintage-inspired theme using rustic greenery with mustard and blush florals!

petites lace dress derby tea party outfits

On Mom – Ann Taylor lace dress 0P (she’s 5’2,” 105lb), BP sandals (very comfy), Amazon fascinator

A different idea for a floral photo wall on a budget is using large paper flowers – I’ve DIY’d some for my friends’ events, and recently discovered that they can be purchased on Etsy! On the topic of Etsy, I’m a little addicted to browsing the custom and handcrafted boutiques on there. I got my fascinator hat from this shop, and my friend found this sugar cookie vendor who did such a detailed job. Dying over these “passport to parenthood,” luggage, and onesie cookies!

baby shower sugar cookies onesies passport travel theme
    bridal or baby shower dessert treat table balloons vintage travel theme

Vendors

Photos: Catherine Threlkeld Photography
    Florals: Mimosa Fresh Flower Design
    Luggage & trays: finds from SOWA vintage
    Balloons: WOW balloons
    Cakes: Lizzie’s Bakery
    Cookies: Creative Cookie Corner
    Restaurant: SRV Boston

boston baby bridal shower venue south end
    suitcase luggage travel theme baby bridal shower

These mini suitcase boxes served as both place card settings and party favors (filled with candies). For food, SRV makes all of their pastas fresh (right up our alley), but their small bites and appetizers were the stars here. Everyone was raving about the flavorful carrot and short rib starters.

boston srv italian restaurant baby bridal shower venue
    baby or bridal shower cake table vintage travel theme

How pretty is this painted buttercream cake and assorted floral cupcakes? If you order from Lizzie’s Bakery, my personal favorite flavor was her carrot cake with cream cheese frosting!

rose flower cupcakes baby or bridal shower desserts

I wish I got a shot with all the girls before guests had to leave! Only managed to grab this quick photo at the very end … love these beautiful ladies and a few more who are missing. If you enjoy reading blogs, you may recognize the lovely Wendy from Wendy’s Lookbook, Emily from The Sweetest Thing, and Khatu from her Etsy shop.

baby shower coed games eggplant and egg
    coed baby shower games eggplant egg

This is a Filipino-inspired game that we’ve played at a few showers before! It always makes for some good laughs and fervent hip swinging amongst our friends. Supplies: string, plastic baggies, uncooked eggs, and eggplants (we’ve also played this just with two eggs instead of egg + eggplant). How to play: Grab a partner. Partner # 1: place an egg in a baggie and tie it around your waist so that it swings freely. Partner #2: tie an eggplant around your waist the same way. The first team to crack their egg by swinging their hips wins (no cheating using your hands)!

baby shower activities diaper
    baby shower games diaper

This was a cute activity – can’t wait to read all the little sticky notes during our late-night diaper changes!

mens outfits vintage travel theme party
    The men took the party style theme to heart and I have to say, looked pretty dapper!

boston baby shower decor ideas onesie garland
    I adore these custom onesies Nick got from Cheerily, with nods to baby’s Chinese & Filipino heritage.

fascinator tea party hat baby bridal shower outfit maternity dress
    baby boys shower outfit

My younger brother, Schuyler, with the cutest little partygoer (baby Theo) in his themed outfit!

naked drip cake cupcake stands baby bridal shower
    fresh flower wall wedding vintage theme

48 thoughts on “Our “Journey to Parenthood” Themed Baby Shower

• Reply Mimi August 7, 2018 at 11:15 pm

Really love the theme and all the pictures. I’m glad everyone had a great time. I remember when you first announced your pregnancy, I was so thrilled for you and Nick. Now baby girl is going to be here in a few weeks. I’m so happy for you, and I hope that you will have a safe delivery. Healthy mom and healthy baby.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite August 9, 2018 at 8:33 pm

Thank you so much for the kind words, Mimi!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog August 7, 2018 at 11:41 pm

I love the unique theme of your Baby Shower! I think it’s so refreshing how the theme and the decor aren’t what we typically see. It’s beautiful. I hope you had an awesome time, Jean. 🙂 Enjoy your last days of pregnancy before your baby girl comes! 💕💕

• Reply Roses for Fridays | by mia August 8, 2018 at 12:09 am

Such a beautiful theme and celebration in welcoming the little Angel to arrive. So very lovely

• Reply Nikki August 8, 2018 at 1:12 am

I love love love every little details from your baby shower! It’s so beautiful and perfect! Thank you for sharing us your journey to parenthood and cheers to an exciting chapter in life! Wishing you a smooth delivery, quick recovery and healthy mommy & baby! 💕

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite August 9, 2018 at 8:33 pm

Thank you, Nikki! <3

• Reply Rena August 8, 2018 at 2:43 am

Oh, you had a super lovely party and you look adorable!
      xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Reply Mireia August 8, 2018 at 4:30 am

Everything is too cute!

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses August 8, 2018 at 7:49 am

I love this theme so much! You both look amazing, and I’m so excited for you! Wonderful photos Jean! I hope you’re having a fabulous Wednesday,
      Michael

• Reply Kristen Shaw August 8, 2018 at 8:43 am

LOVE the theme! So perfect for both of you!

• Reply Brandi August 8, 2018 at 10:00 am

This is such a classy and fun theme! No dumb storks with mints and almonds as food. I think thats why I despise baby showers is because of the themes Ive seen in the past and told my husband I dont want a shower haha but this was so sweet. And the theme fit you guys and was so special! Those cookies look too good to eat. I cant believe the detail! It was all so pretty, your florist did awesome.
      Your mom looked really pretty, and your brother is growing up fast too! I was thinking back to other pics Ive seen of him on the blog in the past. Is he your only sibling?
      I wish you the best safest easiest labor and delivery. Good luck! 😁❤

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite August 9, 2018 at 8:36 pm

Thank you for the sweet comment, Brandi! I think the possibilities are endless for showers these days, especially with coed ones.

I have two brothers … one 5 years younger and one 18 years younger who likes to pretend he’s my kid, haha…

• Reply Shannon Mahaney August 8, 2018 at 10:46 am

What a gorgeous shower! I absolutely adore your dress. It’s perfect on you!

• Reply brianna August 8, 2018 at 11:01 am

these photos are beautiful. what an amazing tribe you’ve got supporting you.

• Reply Susan August 8, 2018 at 11:39 am

What a beautiful shower! So many great ideas–and as I live near Boston, I will visit the South End! What is your due date? It must be soon! Love and hugs to you and Nick and your new little sweetie.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite August 9, 2018 at 8:36 pm

Thank you, Susan! I’m due August 22nd : )

• Reply Ray Amaari August 8, 2018 at 12:16 pm

You looked beautiful.

• Reply Vidya August 8, 2018 at 4:47 pm

Beautiful!! Where did yall get that “Crappy Advice” board? I’d love to get one for an upcoming baby shower.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite August 9, 2018 at 8:37 pm

Hi Vidya – it’s just a sign that my husband typed up and printed then put into a photo frame!

• Reply Christal August 8, 2018 at 5:12 pm

Such a beautiful, classy shower for a very beautiful, classy mama-to-be. Congratulations!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite August 9, 2018 at 8:37 pm

Aw thank you, Christal! xx

• Reply Mary Buchanan Moore August 8, 2018 at 5:22 pm

What a thrilling time of your life. No better way to celebrate than with a themed baby shower with family and friends. Everything looks gorgeous and scrumptious! I am old enough to know what a train case is and you are rocking the baby blue train case for sure. (no pun intended!)

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite August 9, 2018 at 8:38 pm

Thanks so much, Mary! I wish train cases would make a comeback ; )

• Reply Peppermint Dolly August 8, 2018 at 5:23 pm

What a beautiful celebration – those cookies look sensational!

Rebecca | http://www.peppermintdolly.com

• Reply Elizabeth T. August 8, 2018 at 6:06 pm

Such a cute theme! <3 🙂 Really loved everyone's outfits so much! And I'm sooo happy for you and Nick, Jean!

Elizabeth T.

• Reply Yasmin August 8, 2018 at 6:39 pm

How pretty is it all! Loved all the little details. But I wouldn’t expect anything less from you 😄
      Enjoy these last few weeks before your darling girl makes her entrance.
      Love & hugs from London

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite August 9, 2018 at 8:39 pm

Hugs to you as well, Yasmin ~ thank you for your kind comment!

• Reply Angela Jagers August 8, 2018 at 7:30 pm

Awesome theme and beautiful baby shower! Congratulations to you & your family and blessed baby girl!

• Reply Gyh August 8, 2018 at 8:47 pm

Felicidades!!!

• Reply Varuna Jithesh August 9, 2018 at 1:57 am

Nice and Perfect looking outfit..

• Reply Vicky August 9, 2018 at 7:24 am

Absolutely in love with the theme and decor of this shower! Congratulations to you both!

• Reply Maureen August 9, 2018 at 4:59 pm

OH wow! I love at how your baby shower turned out! You look beautiful and I do recognize Wendy and Emily! So sweet of them to join you. I am so glad you guys had a great celebration.

Maureen | http://www.littlemisscasual.com

• Reply Blanca Perdomo August 9, 2018 at 9:20 pm

Such a refreshing theme! I love it! Congrats to you both <3

• Reply Amy August 10, 2018 at 12:25 am

hi Jean! I don’t know how you make almost full term pregnancy look good, but you do! I’ve gone through 4 pregnancies and looked like a big whale each time. Wishing you and Nick a safe L&D and can’t wait to see pics of your princess. I’m Chinese-Filipino. Are you and Nick both mixed as well?

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite August 15, 2018 at 12:04 pm

Hi Amy! Thank you for the kind words … I am absolutely certain that you looked beautiful during your pregnancies, but I know our view of our own bodies while in the midst of it gets a little distorted, lol! PS – I’m fully Chinese and Nick is half Filipino, half European mix.

• Reply Kelcy August 10, 2018 at 2:54 pm

I love the theme Jean. So much attention to detail. The cookies have to be my favorite. Congrats to you and Nick!

• Reply Bela Anzu August 10, 2018 at 10:09 pm

Your baby shower theme seems so well suited to the two of you, and the decor and food looks gorgeous. The hot air balloon cookie reminded me of your L’Occitane trip and the luggages reminded me of your wedding. I’m thrilled for both of you, as you enter this exciting stage.

Wishing you a smooth delivery and recovery!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite August 15, 2018 at 12:05 pm

Hi Bela, I hope you are doing well and that your pregnancy is progressing along healthily!! It’s always great to hear from you. You have such a great memory – we were definitely inspired by both of those things when requesting the cookies ; ) xx

• Reply Petite Teacher August 11, 2018 at 3:19 am

Never seen such original cookies before. Wow! And great to see some of your friends in a picture. It’s wonderful having friends and family around you when there is something to celebrate! Love, Lieske

• Reply Jennie August 11, 2018 at 12:20 pm

Jean—- everything looked so beautiful!
      Is your husband Filipino??

• Reply Sharon August 12, 2018 at 3:49 pm

Everything looks beautiful! You have such wonderful taste and class. Congratulations!

• Reply Anonymous August 12, 2018 at 5:42 pm

Just curious with the babyshower game, was someone able to break the egg with the eggplant? The theme is totally cute and beautiful.

• Reply Ka August 12, 2018 at 5:42 pm

• Reply Anny August 12, 2018 at 11:49 pm

i love the theme of this shower! so cute!! cant wait for your baby to come! btw do you have any tips on how to get rid of shoulder bumps from your knit sweaters and blouses? what kind of hangers do you use to avoid the bumps and how do you hang try your clothes?? i would love if you could help!!

• Reply camilla August 13, 2018 at 12:28 am

Oh, you look so beautiful. I like your dresses and all the photos.

• Reply Varuna Jithesh August 13, 2018 at 3:39 am

Nice and Perfect looking outfit.

• Reply Jenny Yang August 13, 2018 at 4:13 pm

I am obsessed with all of these shots and the theme! I haven’t seen any parties like this! So excited for you and Nick!
      xx jen

• Reply Mel August 14, 2018 at 5:22 pm

Jean, it looks like someone is using your photos (probably without permission) – https://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/view/215415/Lazaro-3415-Size-4

My friend who is shopping for a wedding dress sent me the link. I didn’t think it was you since the dress wasn’t your size and you don’t live in California. Thought you might want to know.