Pleated midi skirt + petite friendly moto jacket

black leather jacket outfits petite fashion blog

Blank NYC jacket xs (a few here at 40% off!), Quay sunglasses (also sold here), H&M skirt xs (see similar skirt below), H&M tee xs, YSL heels from eBay, TDE box bag, Gucci belt 70 (read my review)

I did a poll on Instagram asking what topics are the most helpful, and it looks like “styling 1 piece multiple ways” and baby content are the two top contenders! While I worn on some ideas for the latter, here’s another outfit featuring this familiar belt, black turtleneck, and faux leather jacket on repeat, styled very differently than in my recent athleisure post with sneakers. See this jacket in numerous other looks including casually, with cocktail attire, with textured layers, or with an A-line skirt. I know bare legs and heels are not the most practical for some, so another way I’d wear this is with fleece lined tights and booties with a fitted stretchy ankle opening, aka “sock booties” like these below.

leopard pleated skirt petite fashion reviews

Left: midi skirt 0 (waist runs small), turtleneck xs, fleece lined tights S; Right: plaid skirt 0 (runs small)

I also tried on this similar pleated skirt pictured at the top left that comes in numerical sizing (0, 2, 4 …) instead of letter (xs, s, m…). In comparison, the numerically sized skirt is a little shorter, and the waist fits more precisely since there are more numerical size options than letter (size 0 fits a 24″ waist). Both skirts feature stretchy elastic band waists and were comfortable. The plaid buttoned skirt I’m trying on in the top right is another petite-friendly piece I mentioned recently. Note the 0 runs much smaller than 00 petites in most American brands, and is a true mini on someone my height.

black and white dress for work

Excuse the ankle booties that don’t match, but I thought this two-toned dress was beautiful and well-made in person, despite looking quite drab online! The model seems to be wearing a size too big for her, because this dress is very fitted and runs small in the bodice and waist. A 0 was pretty snug on me, but as with many H&M dresses, the waistline hit a few inches below my natural waist so this would fit best on someone a little taller.

winter outfit ideas boston petite fashion blogger

I get so many questions on my Celine Audrey sunglasses, I was thrilled to find this stylish “look for less” option by one of my favorite affordable sunglasses brands. This style by Quay (sold via either Quay or Amazon Prime) is a little more square in shape, but sits well up on my nose bridge, better than the Celines. My only complaint is the “Quay” text in small white font on one of the lenses, but I’m curious if it can somehow be removed.

stylish winter outfits for petite women pleated skirt

See another outfit I love utilizing the same formula of a cropped moto jacket paired over a midi length skirt, but in a very different brighter color scheme and vibe!

44 thoughts on “Pleated midi skirt + petite friendly moto jacket

• Reply Lauren February 6, 2019 at 11:23 pm

Hi Jean. Nice post, thanks! I’d love to see a post on how to style boring basics, like “How to style jeans and a white T shirt three ways”. Or “Black pants and a white top three ways”. Sometimes when I’m in a hurry I reach for these staples and it would be nice to add some creativity easily. Thanks.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite February 7, 2019 at 12:48 am

Hi Lauren, that’s a great suggestion! I’ve been wearing my basics pretty “basic”ally being short on time with a baby these days, so need some ideas to keep on hand myself.

• Reply Jacqueline Link February 7, 2019 at 8:43 am

I also really need help on basics/foundations. Another topic that would be great is “commute to office” type stuff like.. Changes of shoes. I’m good with changing shoes into heels but what are the commuter shoes without looking like that lady in tanned tights with white crew socks and sneakers. Especially in rain and cold weather

• Reply The Wendy Edit February 6, 2019 at 11:33 pm

Great post! You pulled off that snakeskin skirt so well (I can’t even imagine myself wearing that).

• Reply Sarah February 6, 2019 at 11:59 pm

Hello, I love how you style your outfits, you always look beautiful and put together. I have a question about midi skirts/dresses. Sometimes I feel the length is hard to wear being short. I feel shorter or frumpy. So I tend to stay away from that style. Are there tips that you suggest when wearing that style?

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite February 7, 2019 at 10:47 am

It’s definitely a little more challenging being short. One tip is to find a length that ends at a narrower part of your leg – so for example, with longer lengths, avoid skirts that hit at the widest part of your calves, and instead try ones that end maybe at the narrow part under your knee or closer to your ankles. Skin-tone colored shoes always help, or in the winter try black tights with black shoes for an elongating effect. lastly I try to keep the top fitted and sleek like with a black turtleneck here to help elongate the look.

• Reply Lindsay February 7, 2019 at 12:34 am

Hi Jean. Love this look! Is the blank nyc leather jacket you have on the exact one that is linked? The collar does not look similar? I like the one you have on better. Hope it’s the same one! 🤞

P.s please share a tutorial of your hairstyle in this post! Unsure if you have it in a low bun or ponytail but such a classy look on you. ❤️

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite February 7, 2019 at 12:53 am

Hi Lindsay – oh my goodness, thank you so much for pointing that out since I did link the wrong one. Just updated my post with the exact one, although to be honest I bought mine from Nordstrom many years ago so I’m not certain if the brand made small tweaks to the material and such. And thank you about the hair!! It’s a low ponytail because it’s been so darn windy here.

• Reply Judy February 7, 2019 at 2:38 am

Jean – I’ve been following your post for a while now and get some great ideas! Thank you! I’m not petite per se, but I’m 5’5″ (108 lbs) and usually wear an XXS or 00. I love how you can make an H & M skirt and top look so classy and expensive! For those of you interested in the Blank NYC jacket – I bought it last year and had to exchange the XS for the S. (For reference, I’m 34B chest).

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite February 7, 2019 at 10:48 am

Hi Judy – thank you for the kind words and for the fit tip! I agree it runs narrow, especially in the shoulders and arms.

• Reply Leslie February 7, 2019 at 3:06 am

Loved how you layered the coat over the jacket without looking bulked up! I struggle with office attire in the winter because of the need to stay warm, but how do you wear a blazer/jacket and then a coat over it and still be comfortable being able to move? Any tips, do you buy a larger size to fit over jackets?

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite February 7, 2019 at 4:12 pm

Hi Leslie, I buy coats in a range of “fits” for this purpose. Some run a little more fitted and some are more relaxed, straight cut or wrap style, like this one! I especially love wraps which are very forgiving and perfect for layering over a jacket or blazer.

• Reply Janine February 7, 2019 at 4:20 am

That snake print midi skirt is absolutely amazing! I can honestly not believe it is H&M yet alone that price! Thanks for sharing, I ordered right away 🙂
    xx Janine

• Reply Jennifer February 8, 2019 at 10:29 am

Honestly, I tried on that same skirt at H&M in a Small and it was down to the floor on me. And I am 5’2″. I was disappointed.

• Reply Mireia February 7, 2019 at 5:58 am

I’m really into midi skirts lately!

Mireia from TGL

• Reply Miri February 7, 2019 at 7:17 am

Love how you combined the skirt! It looks so nice on you.

lots of love, Miri

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses February 7, 2019 at 7:25 am

I love your outfit Jean! That skirt is gorgeous!

Happy Thursday!
    Michael

• Reply Minau February 7, 2019 at 7:36 am

Great look!

• Reply Rena February 7, 2019 at 7:49 am

Very elegant how you styled the pleated skirt with the snake print.
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Renahttp://www.dressedwithsoul.com

• Reply Rezia February 7, 2019 at 10:34 am

Hi Jean! Does your jacket lapel only fold down on one side? I’ve been looking for a faux leather jacket and I love how that looks on you, but the asymmetry might drive me nuts.

• Reply Jae February 7, 2019 at 10:39 am

I don’t really like the small Quay logo on the lens! I think it’s tacky but I do love their sunglasses. Also, I love that snakeskin skirt on you!
    Jae

• Reply Shannon Mahaney February 7, 2019 at 10:51 am

Such a fierce outfit! I love the way you styled the skirt with the leather jacket. Mixing feminine pieces with leather is one of my favorite trends!

• Reply Marta February 7, 2019 at 11:13 am

That skirt definitely caught my eye, I love it, the pattern is so pretty. And the jacket looks super cool with it.

• Reply Young February 7, 2019 at 11:31 am

I love how you styled this skirt! I can’t believe it’s from H&M. I thought it was from a high-end brand and more expensive.

The Style Intermission

• Reply SundayDahlias February 7, 2019 at 11:47 am

How do you always look so put together?? I’d love to see more baby posts and updates as well!!

• Reply Sarah February 7, 2019 at 12:17 pm

I love this look and it’s great for new moms transitioning from post pregnancy body to pre pregnancy body. I think it looks very forgiving and will encourage me to dress up instead of wanting to reach for sweatpants all the time. Thanks for the style inspiration Jean! It is much harder to stay excited to dress up with a little one always at your beck and call.

• Reply GL Gardner February 7, 2019 at 12:23 pm

Excellent choices. Love the snake print pleated skirt. I am wearing more midis with boots or black tights and heels. I think the longer length gives an extra classy look. Wish the skirt were available. Do you have any other suggestions where one might purchase something similar? I think I will have to get out my black leather jacket-I don’t wear it in winter as I am in the great lakes area….brrrr. Excellent post.

• Reply Oanh February 7, 2019 at 12:55 pm

Hi Jean,

Is the material of your Black NYC leather jacket sticky? When I touch my NYC jacket I have a sticky feel from the leather. I bought it from Nordstrom a year ago.

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog February 7, 2019 at 1:25 pm

The two-toned dress you tried on is my favourite! I’m so tempted to get it, but I don’t know where I’d wear it to, since I don’t have any semi-formal occasions coming up… maybe I should still get it? 😉 So cute! ❤️

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

• Reply Roses for Fridays | by mia February 7, 2019 at 1:59 pm

Love ♥️your outfit looks as always!

Wonderful and informative post. Merci for sharing.

🌸🍃ROSES FOR FRIDAYS 🌸🍃| by mia | A Creative Lifestyle Blog

• Reply Carrie February 7, 2019 at 9:42 pm

I own the BLANK NYC jacket you link, but I have a problem: it is now flaking really badly on the back of the shoulder and around the cuffs. I like the jacket enough to replace it and buy a new one, but I’m not sure what caused the flaking in the first place, so I’ve been hesitant to replace it. I’ve had it maybe 3-4 years, and though I wear it frequently, that probably means once a week at most (more frequently in some seasons, and almost never in others). Have you had this problem or do you know what might be causing it?

• Reply Laura February 16, 2019 at 1:19 pm

Carrie—I have this same problem! I bought my jacket about 4.5 years ago and I love it and wear it all the time, but noticed last year it was starting to flake around the shoulders. Now the material is cracking around the elbows as well! I’ve had it long enough that maybe it’s just time to replace, but I want to make sure it doesn’t happen again. I’m thinking about reaching out to Nordstrom and asking them about the problem.

• Reply Elizabeth T. February 8, 2019 at 2:35 am

This skirt is super chic <3 🙂 I love how you styled it!

XO, Elizabeth T.

• Reply May February 8, 2019 at 2:56 am

This look is definitely one of my favorite of yours!I was definitely looking at that skirt before but wanted something that was more on the gray side.

May || http://themoderness.com

• Reply Polly February 8, 2019 at 9:26 am

Hi Jean,
    First time commenter but long time follower. Thanks for always inspiring me with your ideas!

For the Quay sunglasses, I have a different pair of that brand and was able to rub off the logo using the “penny edge method.” Exactly as it sounds and worked perfectly.

• Reply Annika February 8, 2019 at 2:32 pm

I REALLY like the skirt in the first photo-did you get a petite for the length?
    Also do they ever restock? Very nice selections.
    I have never purchased shoes from Ebay-do they take returns if they do not fit?

• Reply Sara B February 8, 2019 at 8:50 pm

Hi Jean! I love this outfit! You look so chic without actually breaking the bank, you are gorgeous!

I was wondering if you’d consider doing a post on footwear? I love my heels as much as the next girl, but I am also a middle school teacher who has to stand for about 6 hours a day! Usually by the end of the day I’m walking around my classroom barefoot because my feet hurt from my heels. I don’t want to look old or frumpy… How can I look professional without killing my feet? Would love your input!

Thank you!
    Sara

• Reply Maureen February 8, 2019 at 9:01 pm

What a beautiful outfit! That skirt on the first photo is simply gorgeous. I have a difficult time with sunglasses and I have heard good things about Quay. Do you find their size overwhelming for a smaller face?

Maureen | http://www.littlemisscasual.com

• Reply Ottilie February 11, 2019 at 6:17 pm

Hi Jean, for getting rid of the “Quay” text: have you tried putting eucalyptus oil on a cotton pad or paper towel and rubbing it off? I use eucalyptus oil for getting scuff marks off of my patent heels or getting rid of price tag residue… thanks to Asian moms everywhere for their hacks 🙂

• Reply Marissa February 12, 2019 at 7:57 pm

Hello Jean,

I just wanted to first say how much I adore your blog! I’ve been an avid reader since 2015, and I genuinely enjoy all of your content. So please keep it up!

Since you are a bonafide expert in fashion, now that Winter weather is in full swing, could you feature some more ways to wear tights with different outfits? I adore how you paired tights with those skirts, and I would love to have some more inspiration. My boyfriend said that he really loves how I look in tights (apparently that is a thing? Ha ha), but I never know what types of outfits to pair them with without looking like a dork….

Any help that you could give would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much, and I look forward to many more months of great content!

• Reply Jackets Inn March 15, 2019 at 2:39 am