5 Fall Work Outfits that are Easy to Recreate

Back when I worked in the corporate world, one of my few sartorial highlights was organizing an initiative called “the work appropriate fashion show.” It was meant to give new hires a sense of what to wear in our fairly conservative workplace because, well, a Pinterest search for “work inspo” yields a lot of short skirts, bare shoulders, and open toed shoes. So in the spirit of finding business attire that isn’t too boring, I wanted to share some Fall outfit ideas that are easy to recreate within your own wardrobe! I also picked a few key pieces you’ll want to dig out of (or maybe add to) your closet this season.

1. your favorite nautical tee, autumn edition

This lightweight turtleneck tee is one of my most reached for basics in cooler weather, and also works casually layered under a vest, moto or denim jacket. I was happy to see an affordable option (also sold here) this season that looks identical to my older one, and if you’re not a fan of turtlenecks, there’s a regular crewneck tee option too. See how else I’ve styled mine here.

camel tie waist pants petite workwear outfit ideas

Madewell turtleneck xxs, Express pants 00 short (reviewed here), Banana Republic pumps 5 (reviewed here), Tory Burch bag (burgundy work tote at a great value – see it on me)

2. a classic camel skirt

Hands down one of the most easy to style pieces in my work wardrobe, and worth the alterations in getting a perfect fit. J.Crew Factory has an affordable, slightly darker option that’s a little longer in length like mine! Camel also works well with navy, black, or dark brown tights once the temps dip further.

fall business professional work outfit ideas for petite

Ann Taylor blouse xxs petite (reviewed here), J.Crew wool skirt (similar in petites), Tony Bianco pumps 5, Uniqueen jacket (old; similar), Prada bag

3. a soft piece in a rich hue

Whether it’s burgundy, brown, olive, or a burnt orange cashmere like what I’ve chosen here, a rich fall color can help transition otherwise summery pieces (like white pants) into more seasonally appropriate outfits!

how to style white pants for fall work outfits

Everlane cashmere sweater xxs c/o, WHBM pants, altered (similar cut that I love but also needs waist alterations), Ann Taylor coat xxsp, Sole Society Zeda tote

4. A drapey tie neck blouse

This is a 4-season staple for me, and Ann Taylor makes a great one that fits well and is machine washable!

work outfit with flats ideas petite fashion blog

Ann Taylor blouse xxs petite, J.Crew blazer 00p (updated version by J.Crew or J.Crew Factory), J.Crew Cameron pants 00p (runs small; my review), M.Gemi loafers 5.5 (my review)

5. A moody textured accessory

An easy way to update an old favorite sheath dress that might feel too plain to wear on its own. H&M has some of the best waist belts this season that actually fit narrow waists, and I fell in love with this dark brown-burgundy embossed one. Or, try your dark croc texture in the form of a work tote bag – this extra affordable one is roomy and proportioned right for petite ladies.

fall office outfit ideas petite fashion blog

Everlane sweater xxs c/o, Express skirt xxs petite c/o (fitted on me), H&M belt xs, Banana Republic pumps 5 (reviewed here)

Here’s one more outfit re-mixing key pieces from # 1, 2, and 5. I’d top this with a cream circle cardigan or duster sweater for business casual wear or a brown tweed jacket for business formal. Which look in this post was your favorite?

j.crew camel wool pencil skirt petites outfit

22 thoughts on “5 Fall Work Outfits that are Easy to Recreate

• Reply Angela Yu October 3, 2019 at 2:11 am

I love your work outfit posts! It’s great inspiration – I don’t have to think too hard about putting together professional outfits. Thank you for this post and please keep them coming!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 3, 2019 at 11:24 am

Thank you Angela for the feedback! xx

• Reply Angie October 12, 2019 at 10:32 pm

Hi Jean! Love your blog. It looks like the H&M waist belt isn’t available. Any chance you can post other similar petite options? Thanks!

• Reply Elisabeth October 3, 2019 at 3:11 am

Hey Jean,

Love your looks, especially outfit number 5. Is the skirt from express regular fit or petite?

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 3, 2019 at 11:29 am

Hi Elisabeth, sorry I forgot to add in the sizing – it’s an xxs petite and it’s stretchy and fitted on me. Note it may look like a tweed texture but it’s actually a finer nubbly texture with black, cream, light pink and the skirt is fully lined.

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses October 3, 2019 at 3:18 am

Love the Autumn outfits Jean, they all look so great for the season!

I hope you have a great Thursday,
    Michael

• Reply Janine October 3, 2019 at 5:53 am

You nailed these outfits, thanks for the inspo! I definitely need to get some cream colored wide leg pants into my wardrobe.
    xx Janine

• Reply LR October 3, 2019 at 9:38 am

Love the outfits! They all look great! I find myself working from home more lately and then running my kids around in the evenings. Could you do an athleisure type post like this (budget friendly)? I would love to find some new pieces.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 3, 2019 at 11:31 am

Thanks for the suggestion! I will try, although my go-to athleisure outfits are just leggings, a slightly longer tee, fleece or faux leather moto jacket and my black sneakers!

• Reply Jada October 3, 2019 at 10:29 am

These are the perfect fall work looks!

• Reply Danielle October 3, 2019 at 11:53 am

Hi Jean, thanks for the post, this is great! Have you tried the Express tie waist pants in Petite 00 vs 00 Short? How do they compare? Thanks!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 3, 2019 at 4:33 pm

Hi Danielle – yes I have. the Petite were about half to 1 inch longer than the Short. I’m 5 feet tall for reference if you’re deciding between the two size options!

• Reply Jacqueline Pittman October 3, 2019 at 1:14 pm

First of all – Hallelujah! Finally gorgeous outfits for petites! All of your outfits are exceptional and inexpensive but look very lux. Great job!!

• Reply L October 3, 2019 at 2:21 pm

Hi Jean! This post is so topical for me rn, thank you! Unfortunately it’s already tights season here in the cold frozen North. Do you have any go-to brands? I get so overwhelmed trying to pick them out on Amazon, and I live literal hours away from the nearest brick and mortar clothing store.

• Reply Linna October 3, 2019 at 3:30 pm

Great outfits per usual. I usually shy away from taupe, nude, tan colors but really like the looks you’ve put together, especially look #3!

• Reply emily October 3, 2019 at 3:37 pm

I love these. Any chance you can help me find some cognac or brown narrow calf riding boots (about 12.5″calf circumference)? I tried the Frye 2 button and they didn’t work. I haven’t tried the Melissa knotted you posted about but I was hoping to stay under $200. Any ideas?

• Reply Elizabeth Tran October 3, 2019 at 6:39 pm

Always love your outfits, Jean <3 🙂 Super chic and sophisticated!

XO, Elizabeth T.

• Reply Deb October 3, 2019 at 9:27 pm

Hi Jean! Thanks as always for your great posts! I would love any tips you might have on sustainable/responsible clothes for kids. Thanks in advance!

• Reply Anonymous October 3, 2019 at 9:59 pm

Love these types of posts!

• Reply dihez October 3, 2019 at 10:30 pm

I really like it so great!

• Reply Mija October 5, 2019 at 1:00 pm

I love the first outfit. Not so casual but looking comfy to spend my day in office. Thank you for the idea.

XOXO, Mija

• Reply Michelle October 15, 2019 at 5:36 am

Hi Jean! Just wondering where you got your black headband from… It’s so cute!