• Camel duster sweater + leopard pumps

banana republic petite work outfit

Plush duster cardigan xxs petite c/o, strappy camisole xs petite, sloan pants 00 petite, Madison leopard heels sz 5 – all on on sale!(discount applied at checkout)

With a newborn, I’ve re-discovered my love for basics since I now have a much smaller window of time to get dressed! I’m excited for the days we can start traveling more as a family, but as of now, simply getting out of PJs and out the door can feel like a small accomplishment. This outfit combines some trusty basics that I’ve had for a while with a longer, duster length cardigan that’s on-trend for Fall. This sweater is labeled “plush” and it’s indeed fluffy, soft and warm for upcoming trips and chilly plane rides.

To tie the solid colors together, I added printed shoes with a flattering lower “V” dip in the front. Leopard shoes will surprise you with their versatility – this same print also comes in a lower loafer or kitten heel, or I love the look of this bolder block heeled pump rendition (I have the Madison block heels in another color and they’re super comfy!). For a casual or travel outfit for exploring around town, I’d swap in high-waisted skinny jeans and pointed flats or mules plus a crossbody bag.

Banana Republic is having 40% off online (code BRFRIEND) and free expedited 3-5 day shipping on orders over $100 with code BRSHIP. I tried on a few pieces in-person and wanted to share some current picks!

• Cotton blend cable sweater – Beautiful sweater that I wish came in petites. It’s in a smooth weave (compared to a fluffier / looser weave) and the slight balloon-shaped sleeves give it more of a fashion-forward look. The weight is heavier and substantial, and the all-over cables are nice and thick. xxs regular works casually on someone my size with the sleeves cuffed up.
    • Scallop pencil skirt – The staple pencil skirt updated with a scalloped edge and slightly longer hemline. The material is the same bi-stretch fabric as on BR’s popular Sloan pants. I found this to run a little big – a 0 petite was roomy on me. I’d pair this with a striped turtleneck tee tucked-in, or a cami like the one I’m wearing (I love that it’s lined and has adjustable straps!) plus a cropped blazer.

petite clothing fall long cardigan sweater
    banana republic petites work clothing business
    banana republic petite long camel cardigan
    prada saffiano leather bag caramel brown
    Thank you to Banana Republic for partnering on this post.

30 thoughts on “Camel duster sweater + leopard pumps

• Reply Roses for Fridays | by mia October 12, 2018 at 1:27 am

Ohhh such a cute look for Fall … love ♥️ the leopard touch!

• Reply Rena October 12, 2018 at 2:33 am

Looks simple but is really elegant!
      xx Rena

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog October 12, 2018 at 3:58 am

I love the look of the duster sweater! It’s so perfect for fall! 🙂

• Reply minau October 12, 2018 at 6:43 am

Great ensemble!

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses October 12, 2018 at 7:39 am

Loving the camel duster Jean, you look incredible! Loving the colour palette of your outfit, too!

Happy Friday!

• Reply Simplement Lui October 12, 2018 at 8:47 am

A superbly elegant outfit and the perfect trendy leopard heels!

Happy Friday xx

• Reply Brandi October 12, 2018 at 9:23 am

You look so classy and chic! Ive wondered can a petite like myself could pull off the super long sweater look which I love.. I think I’ll try it now seeing how cute it looks on you. ☺ way to go Mama, youre doing great! Have a great weekend!🍁🍂

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 12, 2018 at 10:07 pm

Thank you, Brandi! I didn’t wear duster lengths much until recent years and find them to be surprisingly flattering if the entire outfit is kept sleek and streamlined! xx

• Reply Nikki October 12, 2018 at 9:37 am

Great pairing of colors, just perfect for the Fall! Love it! Have a wonderful weekend , Jean!

• Reply Sole October 12, 2018 at 9:42 am

Nice pairing! I loved the tip on how to turn this outfit into a more casual version.;)

• Reply Neeltje | Thoughts in Style October 12, 2018 at 12:29 pm

Such a pretty duster coat! X

• Reply Serene October 12, 2018 at 1:08 pm

Hi Jean!

I’ve followed your blog for a long time, and I’ve been meaning to ask – in your “about” section (pre-pregnancy) you mentioned you have 32″ hips, but in many of the 00p bottoms, the size chart says these are for 34″ hips. Given that these are usually not high-rise bottoms, do you have issues with them sliding down during the day without a belt? I’m straight figured with 25.5″ waist-32.5″ hips and most 00p pants/jeans slide down during the day. Thanks!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 12, 2018 at 10:06 pm

Hi Serene – size charts are almost never accurate unfortunately! pre pregnancy, I would have to shrink down their Sloan pants in the machine dryer after every few washes. I mostly had a problem with the waist being loose though and not the hips so can’t soeak to your question exactly. I think a 00p in these is the right size for your waist and hopefully that will help keep the pants up!

• Reply anon October 14, 2018 at 6:46 pm

I am about your size and tried the sloan maybe two months ago. I don’t recall any issues with the waist or hip. My problem was the crotch area was still not quite right. The J.Crew Cameron in 00P was a better fit for me, although still left something to be desired in terms of fit, I think because the ankle is not super fitted it is not as slimming as past pants they have made. Hope that helps.

• Reply Haley October 12, 2018 at 1:50 pm

Beautiful! I am 4’9 and just had a baby as well. I have “the mom pouch” and my hips are definitely wider so I can’t fit into my size 10kids pants anymore lol. I’m not sure how to hide that pouch and look good with being so small. I know your are skinny but do you have any ideas for me? I think I’m a size…. 5???

• Reply Sandra Earley October 12, 2018 at 2:01 pm

II’ve just had a look on the site, the cardigan is $138, is that in the sale? Thanks jean

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 12, 2018 at 10:03 pm

Yes the discount is applied in your cart at checkout!

• Reply Mimi October 12, 2018 at 3:53 pm

Really love this look on you. It makes you look a lot taller 🙂 I haven’t worn heels for awhile now after I gave birth to my son. He’s 2 and he loves to run around nonstop. Can’t imagine myself chasing him with heels on haha. Btw, I really love those leopard heels on you.

• Reply Elizabeth T. October 12, 2018 at 8:24 pm

This duster is super chic <3 🙂 I love the color so much! And those pumps are gorgeous too! Love this simple outfit!

XO, Elizabeth T.

• Reply May October 13, 2018 at 1:12 pm

Love the duster. Been looking for a good one for forever! Love Banana Republic!

May || http://themoderness.com

• Reply Jada October 13, 2018 at 7:25 pm

BR always has great classic pieces! Love this look!

• Reply Petite Teacher October 14, 2018 at 12:01 am

Love this stylish and simple outfit, especially the way the pumps pimp up the very basic colour scheme. I can imagine you love wearing pumps again after having worn flats during the last period of your pregnancy. Love, Lieske

• Reply Peppermint Dolly October 14, 2018 at 7:49 am

Great outfit – love the pumps!!

Rebecca | http://www.peppermintdolly.com

• Reply Rosalie Lucia October 14, 2018 at 11:27 am

Hello Jean,
      I own several duster length cardigans and was wondering how you store yours. I know you’re not supposed to use hangers because knit fabrics can stretch. I’ve tried folding them but because of the longer length it sometimes takes three folds to get them to fit in drawers … then you have to deal with the impressions that are left because of the folds, especially on thinner knits. Would love to hear your suggestions. Thanks!

• Reply kim October 14, 2018 at 6:48 pm

agree with you about leopard! nothing like a statement print as a neutral to add some interest to an outfit. love the pairings here.

• Reply Mary in MD October 15, 2018 at 7:15 am

Jean, please do an updated feature on using the right size hangers. You could feature baby hangers, too. I ordered wooden hangers the last time you did this and LOVE the petite wooden hangers. I need to order more, and I could use an ExtraPetite promor code.

• Reply Jandrew October 17, 2018 at 2:53 pm

The on trend leopard pumps really set this outfit off . Great look !
      Jandrew
      Dress The Part

• Reply Claire October 21, 2018 at 11:49 am

I love the outfit!! I have had my eye on these BR camisoles for awhile (via website, I shop online), but I feel like it would be impossible to hide a bra. In your pictures, I see no evidence of a bra! If you don’t mind, are you wearing strapless? Or is there a built in? Thanks!

• Reply Marisa November 3, 2018 at 10:53 am

I love a classic BR look! I did just go to this sale and am so sad that the new fit of the Sloan’s is much larger – the 00 petite used to fit me perfectly and now is so baggy, especially in the waist! However I tried on the Devon and it fits much better!! It’s a little more high waisted and slimmer throughout – just a tip for any petite ladies who have always worn the Sloan! 🙂

• Reply Clara December 17, 2018 at 8:33 pm

Hi Jean,

I bought the Sloan pants on your recommendation and am wondering- how far up do you go in size so that they shrink to the right size? I saw your post and photo of the Sloan pants pre-shrinking but am still not sure whether I need to go up one size as Banana Republic pant sizes seem to run large on me. Thanks!