Tie waist tan trousers + chunky olive knit

express petite tan pants for work

Express tie waist pants 00 short (5+ colors), Express sweater xxs, similar pumps, Prada tote, Ray-ban aviators

Do you plan out your outfits the night before or morning of? I’m guilty of the daily morning scramble so owning neutral, pairs-with-everything pieces like these tie-waist pants can be a major time & style saver. These are a mix of polished and relaxed and the length can be styled with heels, flats and even leather sneakers if that’s your look! They come in multiple inseams and have functional pockets. The fabric on this color (fabrics might differ by color) is unlined, fluid feeling and lightweight (tip: since these pants are looser in the leg, you can layer thin leggings or footless tights underneath for more warmth come winter). I’m a sucker for camel but if you’re new to this cut of pants, black might be the easiest to style and the lowest maintenance!

I juxtaposed the waist cinching style here against a chunky, textural knit for some contrast, however for a professional setting I’d of course recommend wearing this fully covering the shoulders. This sweater is great quality in a thick, durable weave that doesn’t feel snag prone, and the length isn’t too long on a petite frame. For business wear, I’d pair these pants with a cream turtleneck sweater, black puff shoulder top, or a drapey blouse in a more saturated fall hue like burnt sienna (which actually looks so good with light tan!). These also work well with an animal print top or lace cami in any color for going out. Size 00 short measures: 12.5″ across the waist (the tie can help cinch it in more to fit), 11.25″ rise, 24.5″ inseam.

boston petite fashion blogger off shoulder sweater

Here’s a few other petite-friendly recommendations from Express that I’ve tried on!

Workwear pick: High waisted textured pencil skirt – knit and stretchy skirt fits with no alterations needed on me in xxs petite. Fabric also conceals panty or blouse lines from tucking in your top. Hits right below my knees.

Fun pick: Faux leather skirts! Express has 3 styles right now worth checking out. The ruffles on this ruffle leather mini need just a little smoothing out of the package (you can lightly iron or steam the reverse side, just not the leather-like side) and the skirt was a perfect high waisted fit on me. For a longer pencil length, I also tried on this leather pencil skirt which is cut so chic for more creative / fashion forward work settings or a night out on the town. The 00 petite measures 12″ across the waist, 16″ across the hips, and 22″ in length. It is a true pencil silhouette that tapers down and I love the high waist with slightly longer length that hits right below my knees. The leather has a nice matte, very lightly pebbled finish to it with stretch.

express petite work pants try oncamel tan work tote prada saffiano bagtie waist pants petite fall fashion
Thank you Express for partnering on this post. You can use code 7416 for $25 off $100 either in-store or online (see coupon terms and conditions).

20 thoughts on “Tie waist tan trousers + chunky olive knit

• Reply Briana September 30, 2019 at 12:47 am

I love the sweater on you girl!

Briana

• Reply Janine September 30, 2019 at 2:23 am

I freaking love this outfit!! That color combo is sooo good – major inspo! Thanks for sharing lovely!
    Xx Janine

• Reply Rena September 30, 2019 at 5:06 am

Looks cute how you styled the sweater!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Reply Jennie October 4, 2019 at 5:08 pm

Is there a difference between the sizing for these pants in Short and Petite? Both size are currently available in a 00 on the Express website, and I’m trying to decide which one to buy!

• Reply Kathy September 30, 2019 at 8:53 am

Love the neutral palette you work with Jean! Just wondered if you wore regular size RayBan Aviators. I have a small face and was contemplating whether to try the RayBan Juniors.

• Reply Anonymous September 30, 2019 at 4:42 pm

Same problem. I bought RayBan juniors once and they were way too small. Should have returned them, but it was a hassle. So they are sitting in a drawer.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite September 30, 2019 at 9:57 pm

Hi! These are the standard size – I wouldn’t recommend trying smaller. I was actually even thinking about getting their more oversized aviators next time because i love my sunglasses big. With the adjustable bendable nosepiece on RayBans, even if the lens are big I find they still sit well on my face.

• Reply A September 30, 2019 at 10:39 am

Love the pants! I have the same style from ASOSand have found the material to be notthe greatest- it pills on the side I wear my tote bag. Do you see this with the Express pants?

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 4, 2019 at 8:03 pm

I think I know the ASOS ones you mention. My tote bag doesn’t rub against my pants though so I haven’t had that issue yet!

• Reply Elizabeth Tran September 30, 2019 at 2:57 pm

In love with these pants and how you styled them with this sweater! <3 🙂 Super cute! And your hair is sooo adorable too! Would love to see a tutorial on how to get the bun!

XO, Elizabeth T.

• Reply pavani October 4, 2019 at 12:25 pm

Jean, why did you opt for 00 short instead of petite. I’m trying to order online and not sure which to get.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 4, 2019 at 8:02 pm

I got both to try. The 00 petite is about an inch longer than the 00 short so I went with the shorter ones!

• Reply Sharon October 6, 2019 at 11:14 pm

Sometimes, especially for pants, i would really appreciate seeing a back shot.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 18, 2019 at 11:23 am

Noted!

• Reply Barbara October 10, 2019 at 8:04 pm

I always wonder what to wear under an off the shoulder top. I’ve never found a strapless bra that stays on. Any advice? 🙂

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 18, 2019 at 11:26 am

For a top that is just one shoulder off, I wear a regular bra and slide the strap off (or wear one with convertible straps so I can just remove one!). For fully off shoulders I usually wear stick on bras. Check my blog post dedicated to bras and undergarments!

• Reply Sarah October 15, 2019 at 9:01 pm

Hi Jean,

As a very petite Asian girl, how can I wear paper bag pants without making me look like a midget? The normal solution is to wear heels, but I am a college student and walk around all day, so it isn’t practical. I wore a pair of paper bag pants other day and it looked like I had shrunk 3 inches.

Thanks!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 18, 2019 at 11:27 am

I stick with high waisted styles (to elongate the leg line), make sure the pant leg line is tapered and not too poofy, hemmed to above your ankles, and do a pointed flat to continue lengthening the overall look!

• Reply Melena October 18, 2019 at 10:04 am

Hi Jean,
    I’m 4’11” (barely), 104 lbs, and 33 years old.
    My measurements are 34″ (B cup), 26″, 35″.

So I’m a tad broader than you, but still extra petite!!!! (Love the name of your blog; I’ve always told people I’m extra petite!) Just discovered your blog recently and I am really enjoying it. I’m finding a lot of great styles to emulate. Besides skinny jeans, I’ve always had a hard time figuring out what pants make me look taller.

Went to Rome & Venice this summer and found some camel-colored pants JUST like the ones you’ve got on here, but the material is very thin since they’re for summer.

I am thinking about ordering these ones from Express. However, in your pictures, the pants look a little more form-fitting than they do on the Express models. So I was wondering if you had a tailor taper them a little bit?

I think I’m going to be a consistent follower of your blog! You’re a doll!!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite October 18, 2019 at 11:28 am

Nice to meet you, Melena and thanks for the kind words! The Express ones are not form fitted in my opinion. It might just be my position and how I’m walking that pulls the pants taut a bit in photos. It’s worth ordering to try and if you have an Express store near you, you can return items for free in store (I aways order a bunch of sizes and styles to try, and just pay to ship whatever doesn’t fit back since it’s more convenient).