I got so much great feedback on my first IGTV styling video, I’m back with another one featuring a piece most of us already have in our closets: the classic black pencil skirt! Click here to watch the full video, with a few styling tips & tricks that I apply to my everyday outfits.
Featured item: Express high waist stretch skirt (I’m in 00 regular)
Fit notes: This skirt is very stretchy but it’s not bodycon or too curve hugging (which you’d want to avoid in the workplace). It’s made in office-appropriate material with lining and actually fit my natural waist without waist alterations! The back center slit comes up pretty high so I will be stitching it closed about 2 inches.
1. Night Out
- Bristols 6 Nippies
- H&M lace cami xs (similar)
- J.Crew earrings (similar)
- Ann Taylor sandals sz 5 (updated version)
- Chanel wallet on chain (shop preowned)
- Blank NYC faux leather jacket xs
2. City Chic
- Theory sleeveless turtleneck P c/o (budget-friendly option)
- Textured Gucci Belt sz 70 (sizing info; look for less option)
- Banana Republic trench xxsp (my review)
- similar black pumps (just got these & love! Runs a touch big – I’m usually between a 5 and 5.5)
- Quay Sunglasses (very chic & don’t slide down my flat nose bridge)
- Goyard St Louis tote
- Uniqlo shapewear S (light level of control)
- Ann Taylor scallop top xxs
- Similar black headband
- Chanel pearl brooch (similar)
- Banana Republic cap toe pumps 5 (my review)
- Tory Burch small Robinson tote (older version)
- H&M nursing camisole XS (older version)
- Madewell whisper tee XXS
- Clear elastics (also useful for this too-long belt trick)
- H&M denim jacket (similar in petites by J.Crew (very shrunken fit!) and LOFT)
- Gucci soho disco bag (duty free w/ free shipping)
- Soludos espadrilles sz 5
Styling tips summarized from my video:
Tip #1 (Night Out): Mix materials and textures like satin, lace, and leather to add interest to a simple black & white color palette.
Tip #2 (City Chic): When wearing your trench coat open, tie a bow at the back to add a little shape and to keep from losing the sash.
Tip #3 (Professional): Tuck tops into shapewear shorts to help keep them in place and smooth under skirts.
Tip #4 (Casual): Layer a neutral nursing tank top under regular tops for easing breastfeeding access.
Tip #5 (Casual): Roll up the waistband on your skirt (only works with some fabrics) to make the item a little shorter for certain outfits. Cover up the rolled waistband with your top.
Tip #6 (Casual): Use a clear hair elastic to knot up a shirt hem to define your waistline