• How to resize + fix a too long belt or purse strap

uppababy stroller with nuna pipa carseat review

Many of you probably already own a leather hole puncher (also sold at craft stores like Michaels), one of my holy grail tools featured a couple times on this blog! I’ve been punch-happy using this baby to make handbag straps, belts, even the ankle straps of shoes fit better. But after adding a perfect new hole, what to do with the unsightly belt tail that remains flapping against your purse strap or waist?  (especially if you like to wear belts over dresses that have no loops) Below are a few solutions on how to fix a too long belt strap, ranging from easy DIY hacks to professional fixes:

how to resize a belt leather hole puncher

1. Use a small clear or colored elastic.

Works best for: skinny belts or straps, or, black straps that are easy to match with black rubber bands. For the cleanest look, you want to use a rubber band that’s a snug fit and doesn’t need to be wrapped around multiple times. I buy packages of hair elastics that come with multiple sizes, in order to have the best size on hand for each strap width.what to do with a too long purse strap shorten

what to do with a too long purse strap

See clear hair elastics used above on my Gucci purse, and black elastics used below on belts:

how to make a belt strap fit better

2. Try a Belt Loopy

Works best for: wide leather belts that you wear over a dress or skirt. I ordered the Belt Loopy to see whether this was another “as seen on TV” gimmick, or an ingenious solution. Consensus so far is it’s in between, and works well for the specific situation I mentioned. These are basically wired strips of material covered in faux leather that you can bend and shape to create temporary belt loops. The strips are several inches long and work best on wider belts, otherwise you’d have to wrap them around multiple times.

If your leather belt is a good color match for one of the 4 shades, it actually looks pretty seamless like it’s part of the original belt! I also think these are best for a belt that you wear over a dress or skirt, since that means you won’t be buckling and unbuckling it throughout the day, causing wear and tear against the faux leather loop.

how to add belt loops for flapping belt tail

J.Crew Factory skirt 00 petite, Express blazer 00 petite + belt xs (now avail. in xxs!), H&M turtleneck xs

Sidenote, the double ring belt I’m wearing above JUST got restocked in XXS for both gold and silver! This should fit someone similar to me in size without adjustments needed. I have the XS which runs a little big (holes measure 27″ to 31″) since I didn’t know there would be a restock. The faux leather is weighty and good quality and the belt has a lining along the interior. And if you’re looking for a designer belt that fits narrow waists without adjustments needed, the Gucci belt I reviewed in this post starts in size 65 which would suit a 22″ to 23″ waist (I wear a size 70).

3. Style the tail into a single or pretzel loop.

Works best for: skinny belts with just a few inches of extra length (for a single loop) or a long tail of excess length (for a pretzel loop). I especially like these looks on braided skinny belts!

white flare A line dress elegant work outfit

The single loop – outfit from this blog post

BW DVF dress tutorial
    The pretzel loop – outfit from this blog post

4. Have a cobbler shorten the strap.

Works best for: when you want a perfectly-fitting belt, or when you don’t want to punch extra holes into your belt and end up with a long row of holes. A cobbler will usually cut and refinish the strap, sometimes from the buckle end and sometimes from the tail end, depending on the fit situation and design. For belt / strap shortening, I’ve been quoted a range of $5 to $40 depending on the complexity of the job.

Which of these solutions have you tried? Please feel free to share any other tips!

how to shorten or fix a too long belt

27 thoughts on “How to resize + fix a too long belt or purse strap

• Reply Kendra February 13, 2019 at 11:41 pm

LOVING all of these tips. And I never knew about the pretzel twist, cannot wait to try that one!

• Reply Val February 14, 2019 at 12:33 am

Hi Jean!

Long time reader and fan of your blog! I was wondering if you had tips on how to keep a white coat… white (-: I have the same Express coat, but other than taking it to the dry cleaners every week (a very expensive option!) I’m not sure how else to keep it clean unless I just don’t wear it!

Thanks for all your great content!
      V

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite February 14, 2019 at 2:23 pm

Hi Val! Where are you noticing your coat getting dirty? For me, trouble spots are usually around the collar from makeup so I always try to wear a turtleneck or scarf to keep the coat clean there. I also use a lint roller to pick up black or colored fuzz that gets on it. Other than that I haven’t had issues with it needing frequent cleaning, but I usually am not sitting on benches outside and my baby isn’t mobile and messy yet (I’m sure that will change soon and the white coat might stay in the closet)

• Reply susan r rawls February 14, 2019 at 12:40 am

These are great ideas! Thank you so much. I have all these problems.
      I especially like the purse strap idea. This drives me crazy and I never knew how to fix it. And to think I threw out all my tiny rubber bands when my daughter’s hair got too thick to use them. LOL

• Reply Petite Teacher February 14, 2019 at 12:52 am

Wow Jean, these are my favourite blog posts. You always come up with brilliant tips for petite challenges. I was actually struggling with one of my belts this morning, so it couldn’t have come at a better time. Thanks so much and…happy Valentine’s Day to you and your loved ones. Love, Lieske

• Reply Janine February 14, 2019 at 1:34 am

I have been using that tip with the small hair elastics for years on my belts, works like a dream!! I have not yet tried it out on bag straps, but would definitely use them for that as well!
      But I have to admit that this belt loop thing you mentioned here, looks way better than using a hair elastic, much more high quality and you are right, it does look like it’s part of the belt.
      Thanks for recommending that one, I didn’t even know something like this exists! 🙂
      xx Janine

• Reply Michael @ Mile in My Glasses February 14, 2019 at 5:36 am

Love this Jean! What a useful post, thanks for sharing!

I hope you have a wonderful Thursday!
      Michael

• Reply Deniz February 14, 2019 at 7:13 am

Is there another place to buy the belt loopy? Amazon says they don’t sell it!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite February 14, 2019 at 2:25 pm

Oh no! I got mine on Amazon and it was still available this morning …maybe Amazon will restock? I went to the website on the package and it no longer exists. I hope doesn’t mean these are now discontinued. If you’re feeling crafty I bet you can DIY some with faux leather patches, wiring, and a hot gluegun or your cobbler could make some belt loops : /

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog February 14, 2019 at 11:57 am

I bookmarked this! ❤️ Super useful because I have to resize pretty much all the bags and belts I buy (and clothes… and pants…). I love, love, love your belt so much! 😀

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

• Reply May February 14, 2019 at 12:08 pm

Wow! Such amazing hacks. I have a bunch of belts that are too long. The hair elastic is absolutely genius!

May || https://themoderness.com/

• Reply Roses for Fridays | by mia February 14, 2019 at 12:23 pm

Just the parfait idea … always looking beautiful!

🌸🍃ROSES FOR FRIDAYS 🌸🍃| by mia | A Creative Lifestyle Blog

• Reply Maria February 14, 2019 at 12:24 pm

I have never thought to use an elastic band on my handbag. I love these tips! Thanks for sharing!

xo, Maria

• Reply Young February 14, 2019 at 3:58 pm

I love all these tips! Love the pretzel loop for skinny belts.

The Style Intermission

• Reply W Design Living February 14, 2019 at 4:52 pm

Love the great tips and the beautiful step by step photos of belt tying! Thanks for a great post, Jean!!!

• Reply Mariah February 14, 2019 at 5:13 pm

This is genius! I always have this problem. Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Maureen February 14, 2019 at 9:22 pm

Oh goodie! I needed this. I have straps and belt that are just way too long. What great hacks and awesome pretzel loop tutorial. You are the best!

Maureen | http://www.littlemisscasual.com

• Reply Elizabeth T. February 14, 2019 at 10:07 pm

OMG thank you so much for all of these wonderful belt hacks, especially the belt-tying! <3 🙂 Definitely going to be trying this out!

XO, Elizabeth T.

• Reply Jeannie February 15, 2019 at 1:16 pm

Hello Jean! This is a random question about the Nordstrom leather motto jacket you recently posted about. Did you have the sleeves shorthened on yours? I did order it but the sleeves are too long and I’m wondering if, with the zippered sleeves, if they can be shortened???

• Reply Jeannie February 15, 2019 at 2:13 pm

Hello Jean! This is a random question about the Nordstrom leather motto jacket you recently posted about. Did you have the sleeves shortened on yours? I did order it but the sleeves are too long and I’m wondering if, with the zippered sleeves, if they can be shortened???

• Reply IRC February 20, 2019 at 6:12 pm

Hello Jeannie! Since I’m short and have a lot of experience with this, I figured I’d let you know that yes, a competent tailor or seamstress can alter zippered (as well as buttoned, belt-cuffed, cinched, etc.) sleeves on leather jackets. If it helps having an estimate, I live near Washington, D.C., and pay between $35 and $50 for shortening the sleeves on leather and faux leather items with zippers. It’s well worth the investment. It might be worth mentioning, since you said you got your jacket from Nordstrom, that they have excellent tailors, and you get a certain amount of “complimentary” alteration services ($100 per year, I believe) if you are a Nordstrom Card member. I haven’t had them do my leather goods, but I would trust them to do a great job if I ever needed them. I’ve been pleased with the work they’ve done on other “difficult” materials they’ve altered for me.

• Reply VIJAYAN February 16, 2019 at 4:53 am

HI
      I love all these tips! Love the pretzel loop for skinny belts.

• Reply miki February 16, 2019 at 2:48 pm

this post was super helpful, thank you for sharing!!

Miki x

• Reply Maya February 18, 2019 at 3:17 pm

Love your tutorials!

• Reply Jojo February 19, 2019 at 9:45 pm

Why did I never think of the hair tie one!?

• Reply Brandy February 20, 2019 at 11:42 am

LOVE THESE TIPS! This problem has been bothering me for so long! #petiteproblem

• Reply I-Rod February 20, 2019 at 5:38 pm

For a purse strap that I know I will not need to readjust once I determine the correct length for me, I use a leather punch and a screw stud rivet. These come in “button round” and “cap flat” shapes and in gold, brass, silvertone, and black finishes. They look professional and take less than 20 minutes to install. Please do not cheapen the look of a nice handbag by using an elastic band. A round, ID badge magnet, a thin piece of mounting tape, or even some cleverly disguised double-sided tape would make a better solution in a pinch!