Strolling into September // Olive Fit + Flare Dress

I rarely get to see both of my brothers, so it’s been a treat for all of us to spend some time together this week. They wanted to take Nori out for a stroll, and it felt good to actually brush my hair and teeth and get out the door for a reason other than doctors checkups! Simple flats + button-down dresses have been my go-to combo these days for nursing-friendly outfits. The higher waistband on this particular dress from Nordstrom creates a flattering silhouette, while the generously-cut fit and flare skirt accommodates my low-hanging postpartum belly. For fit reference, I’m currently about 108 lbs (5 feet tall) and wear a size 2 petite in this dress. It’s 97% cotton / 3% spandex, lined throughout the torso, and has side pockets and a removable sash belt. The color also pairs equally well with the leopard slide sandals that I reviewed in this post!

olive fit and flare dress petite fashion blog

I’ve gotten a lot of questions on the stroller and carseat systems that we chose – after debating over and testing a number of options, we went with the UPPAbaby Cruz stroller for everyday use and Babyzen YoYo stroller for travel and car trips (we currently keep this in our car trunk). And with both of these, we use the Nuna Pipa carseat. This carseat came the most highly recommended to us as it meets more stringent European safety guidelines, plus it works on both of the aforementioned strollers with converters (UPPAbaby converter; Babyzen converter). I know it’s early, but we’ve been taking everything for a spin on our daily pediatrician trips and have been very happy with them.

The YoYo design is amazing and compact, and could work as a primary stroller if you live somewhere with well paved pathways. It springs open easily and folds up small enough to be stored in an overhead airplane bin, with a carrying strap that you just sling over your shoulder. It’s light, portable, and I like that you can easily switch up the color or get a replacement seat pad. The wheels are durable and agile for a travel stroller, but I’m not sure they could sustain daily wear and tear on Boston’s very uneven brick and cobblestone sidewalks, especially in the winter.

For the UPPAbaby stroller (a Boston favorite!), we went with the Cruz over the Vista because it’s a better size for our small storage space and for navigating narrow paths and aisles. If you plan on having more than one child close in age, though, then the Vista is definitely a better value since it converts to seat two little ones plus lets a third ride along on a board attachment. The Vista also includes a baby bassinet, which needs to be purchased separately for the Cruz. We did buy the bassinet and have been using it more than expected at home. We keep it on this stand (lent to us by a friend), and the canopy has been great for shielding a napping baby from bright light and gusty air conditioning.

uppababy cruz vista bassinet boston blog
You can’t really see it, but here’s the Nuna Pipa carseat on the UPPAbaby Cruz using a converter:

uppababy cruz stroller nuna pipa car seat

Caslon sandals sz 5, Urban Outfitters dress (old)

fall fashion olive green dress petite fashion blog
My brothers fighting over who gets to watch and push the baby ; )

extra petite boston blogger south end
Thank you to Nordstrom womenswear for partnering on this post.

32 thoughts on “Strolling into September // Olive Fit + Flare Dress

• Reply Guest September 2, 2018 at 10:37 pm

Hi Jean, Congratulations! Thank you for all your posts – love your blog and have been following for years. For the 1901 dress, did you need to alter the straps at all or did you find the skirt too full? On the Nordstrom site, the dress seems a bit low (and the skirt less full) but on you it looks great! Thank you!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite September 2, 2018 at 10:52 pm

Hi there – yes thank you for reminding me, I did shorten the straps on the 2P by half an inch (using the straightforward sewing method in one of my recent blog posts). But I also tried on the 0P and it was proportioned shorter, so much that the shoulder straps would not have needed any shortening on someone my height. The 0P was just much too small for me width-wise (I sent it back so hopefully it’ll pop up online soon). The skirt has a good amount of material and pleats but it does not poof out in a full A-line shape unless you are moving. Hope that helps!

• Reply Guest September 2, 2018 at 10:57 pm

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! 🙂 I love the lemon print in this dress as well but wish it were offered in petite.

• Reply Roses for Fridays | by mia September 2, 2018 at 10:52 pm

Yes, It’s good to get out and get some fresh breather, besides just Dr. check ups. Always looking beautiful! 🌷👍🏼🌷

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog September 2, 2018 at 10:54 pm

Jean, you’re looking beautiful! Can’t even tell you were just carrying a baby not long ago. I love the dress 🙂 ❤️

• Reply Nasim September 2, 2018 at 11:53 pm

Hi! Congrats!! What color is the Uppa Baby stroller? Thanks in advance!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite September 3, 2018 at 9:44 am

Hi – it’s the “gregory blue / silver”

• Reply briana September 3, 2018 at 12:45 am

You look darling, too cute fighting over watching the baby! Happy September!

Briana

• Reply Katie September 3, 2018 at 2:07 am

Congratulations on your little one. She is so adorable and you look amazing. I hope I am going to look this great after giving birth too.

I love your posts and your blog and been following your journey for quite a while now and I am always coming back for more. Keep going.

• Reply Rena September 3, 2018 at 3:32 am

You are so beautiful and I love you in both looks!
    xx Rena

• Reply Peppermint Dolly September 3, 2018 at 3:33 am

You look wonderful – congratulations again!!

Rebecca

• Reply Mireia September 3, 2018 at 3:44 am

How cute!

• Reply Elizabeth T. September 3, 2018 at 4:31 am

In love with this olive dress – it’s perfect for the fall! <3 And aww your brothers are sooo sweet! 🙂

XO, Elizabeth T.

• Reply Kerry September 3, 2018 at 5:47 am

You look amazing as a new mother – congrats! Welcome to the world, Nori – what an adorable name. Would love to hear your daily makeup/hair routine once things settle down for you. I have a little one too but still struggling to find time to look groomed everyday (these days only putting myself together only on”special occasions”!)

• Reply Kate September 3, 2018 at 8:20 am

Fyi, when they saw I’d purchased this stroller, my pediatrician and hospital nurse both advised against using the uppababy bassinet as a baby bed for safety reasons. Babygearlab.com, run by a pediatrician, suggests the same: www.babygearlab.com/reviews/nursery-furniture/bassinet/uppababy-bassinet-and-stand

• Reply Ray Amaari September 3, 2018 at 9:18 am

You look amazing!

• Reply Brandi September 3, 2018 at 9:24 am

Jean, you look fabulous. You’re wearing my favorite color! Its so flattering on you and looks comfy yet practical and stylish. Thanks for the tips on strollers and such!

• Reply Chanelle Pat September 3, 2018 at 11:16 am

Hi!! I’m definitely getting the uppababy vista, The sales lady showed us the nuna car seat installed into the stroller and it sat a bit more upright because of the way the adapters were made. Do you notice this when your car seat is attached???

• Reply Vicky September 3, 2018 at 11:40 am

Congrats! I would love you to keep posting nursing friendly dresses and tips! I am also a new mom and finding work or nice event outfits that work with nursing or pumping has been a real challenge!

• Reply Connie September 3, 2018 at 12:50 pm

Congratulations! I love your blog and you make all mothers proud. You and Nori are beauty’s.

• Reply Susan Lee September 3, 2018 at 2:20 pm

Great post! Curious if you started your research for Nori’s convertible car seat? 😉

• Reply Jandrew September 3, 2018 at 2:36 pm

Great blog. This olive dress is a nice look , love the full skirt . Have fun with the Uncles .
    Happy Labor Day
    Jandrew

• Reply Janet September 3, 2018 at 4:08 pm

Congrats! Did you also consider the Uppababy minu?

• Reply Allison September 3, 2018 at 4:17 pm

Oh this dress is so stunning on you! It’s too bad it’s sold out in most sizes, especially the petites. I feel like petites always sell out faster than regular sizes. It’s wonderful that you were able to get out for a walk and especially to spend time with your brothers! xo

Allison | Peplums & Pie

• Reply Sara September 3, 2018 at 8:37 pm

You look fantastic in this dress. I was just trying to find a nursing friendly dress for my in laws’s 50th anniversary and it proved to be very hard. Wish I’d seen this! We have the Vista and looooove it.

• Reply Petite Teacher September 4, 2018 at 7:05 am

Dear Jean. You look amazing and somewhat tired at the same time. The ultimate new-mum look! Great that you have had your family over to enjoy Nori’s arrival together. These are such special moments and best cherished and shared with loved ones. Glad you are able to do so. Enjoy your adorable daughter and keep putting your priorities right (real life over blogging for example – omg: I really sound like a teacher and a slightly older mum than you now! – the advice is well meant and comes from the bottom of my heart). Love, Lieske

• Reply Ashley Frei September 4, 2018 at 10:25 am

Wow I can’t believe you just had a baby! You are so so petite! 😊 love that dress! You have such beautiful hair. You’re beautiful! Congrats on baby Nori!

• Reply Rachel September 4, 2018 at 5:15 pm

Hi Jean so glad for you and Nick. Enjoy all the newness of this new time in your lives. You look good in the Olive dress it’s a great color. Blessings on you, Nick, and sweet little Nori.

• Reply Liz September 5, 2018 at 10:19 am

You look beautiful! I definitely did not look human for at least a month after my baby was born! We use the same Uppababy Cruz with the bassinet – same color too! The bassinet was the only place our baby would sleep for the first 3 months and it was perfect for getting him to nap during walks. Now that he’s bigger we use the Uppababy seat and love that it can adjust to so many positions from completely upright to totally flat. We haven’t needed a second stroller at all!

• Reply Jessica September 6, 2018 at 2:58 pm

You look just amazing and like you’re transitioning into motherhood very well! Love seeing your sweet family on Instagram!

• Reply Jane September 8, 2018 at 11:06 am

Hello! Great post! I am also petite and 18 weeks pregnant! Did you do anything to prevent diastasis recti?

• Reply Anonymous September 14, 2018 at 12:25 pm

Congratulations! You look fabulous!