• MNG by MANGO Challenge #3 – Parisian Chic

mngparis1

Dress: c/o MNG by MANGO sz XS  Belt: from F21 shorts  Jacket: BR
    Clutch: H&M; (similarNecklace: Nordies Rack (similarWatch: Michael Kors Jet Set
    Scarf: Gucci  Boots: eBay  11-12mm studs: bought here for $5

I was so excited to see a stripes-themed challenge for this week. My mind was racing…what lucky striped item will it be? My comfy AT tee? The DIY ruffle dress? Or my classic AT sheath? Then I realized I only got tops and dresses from jcpenney (as a petite woman shopping in a regular-sized line, I steered clear of the hardest-to-fit garment: pants), and nothing coordinated with my striped things.

After much debate, I ended up choosing a draped navy sheath (comes with a tie belt) that fits me decently with some room to give. As for the stripes component…I’m making the belt count : )
    mngparis4
    These boots were an eBay find from several years ago. We know older or vintage clothing runs small, but did you know the same goes for shoes? I know many women aren’t ok with pre-owned shoes, but there are some online that are unworn, or barely worn in pristine condition. These $30 boots are leather, size 6, made in Italy, with a 13″ calf circumference and a 14″ shaft height. Almost perfect. They hit smack at my knee bend, which is my pet peeve, so I wear them cuffed.
    mngparis5
    I’m still on the hunt for classic boots with the perfect fit. Readers and fellow bloggers – please help make your short-legged friend’s boot dreams come true by sharing any relevant finds this season. Wanted: 13″ tall, 13″ or less calf circumference boots with an almond toe, either flat riding style or with a simple ~3.5″ heel. Brown or black. I have heard tales of boot alterations both in shaft height as well as width, but I’m hesitant. I know they run very steep (maybe $80+) with no guarantee of success.
    mngparis2

Sleeeepy! Snapped these early in the morning, in the cold and rain (typical, Boston!).

If my makeup looks different here, it’s because I spent the weekend with Khatu who trimmed my brows, liberally bronzed my face, introduced new mascara, and shared her secret for glowing skin: drinking bottles and bottles of water per day.

Disclosure: This campaign is produced by Style Coalition and sponsored by jcpenney.

71 thoughts on “MNG by MANGO Challenge #3 – Parisian Chic

• Ria October 3, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Always so chic! Do you ever have a bad outfit day? 😀 I love this one!

• Yulia October 3, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Love both the outfit and the makeup! Blue + beige is such a classy combination…nautical yet cosmopolitan.

• Yulia October 3, 2011 at 9:46 pm

p.s. by blue of course I meant navy. It's been a long day…

• TaraMixandMatch October 3, 2011 at 9:48 pm

You look gorgeous…love this so much!

• Sandy a la Mode October 3, 2011 at 9:57 pm

love your scarf sweetie!!

• I am Khatu October 3, 2011 at 9:58 pm

lol, always remember to hydrate.

• Anonymous October 3, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I'm on the hunt for the unexisting petite boot too! Can you do a post on boots? You'd think with petite clothing it would dawn on someone to make petite boots too right?!

• Fanny October 3, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I have the Intyce boots by Steve Madden. The shaft is 15 inches and the heel height is about 1.25 inches (not exactly what you wanted) but the height doesn't bother me at all cause it doesn't reach to my knees at all.

I bought it from Steve Madden directly, but here is a link to Nordstrom's website. It's very similar to the boots you have now but just in case you want a second pair 🙂

• Rainy Days and Lattes October 3, 2011 at 10:11 pm

You do a little different, glowing of course, in the cold! LOL 🙂

I love your outfit, especially the neck scarf. I do hope you find those dream boots. I had no idea they do alterations for them, either. $80+ is an extremely risky for something that may or may not work :p

• Anonymous October 3, 2011 at 10:11 pm

You look way too bronzed, it looks almost orange! I like you better w/your au naturel makeup!

• Really Petite October 3, 2011 at 10:18 pm

You look gorgeous Jean! Can the dress be worn alone?

• Ella Pretty Blog October 3, 2011 at 10:23 pm

What a fun way to spend the weekend – getting style tips from a good friend! Love the new make-up look (but your usual technique is also so pretty). What products did Khatu use? Your cheeks are glowing!

• Ellie October 3, 2011 at 10:30 pm

For riding boots that fit, order actual horseback riding boots custom. You might even be able to find them in your specs. I remember my friends that ride telling me to do the same (the shaft is always too tall for my shins) since riding boots can either be custom made or found in more sizes and fits.

• Chloe October 3, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Aw, pretty-pretty Jean! Love it.

• Cher October 3, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Finding boots that fit is a pain, isn't it? It's usually boots that come from "higher-end" designers that come with smaller shafts, at least in width. I've had success with altering the width of a shaft, but I would imagine that altering the height of the shaft would be much easier.

• Laura Frost October 3, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I love that outfit. Gorgeous. I would love to find the same boots as you – in the same size. So, do share if you find them. I've got nothing as of now.

• mai October 3, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Love it! The scarf and pearls make this outfit!

• Michelle October 3, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Gorgeous!!! You look so confident in this look!

I love those boots! Ebay, huh? I am such a chicken about buying shoes online! As for recommendations, I highly recommend trying on a pair of Stuart Weitzman stretch boots.

Your makeup is gorgeous! I am totally feeling a Khatu-vibe going on! 🙂

• Anonymous October 3, 2011 at 10:50 pm

love this outfit!! Could you review the newly-released size p00 of jcrew lady coat? Thanks a lot!

• Petite and Hungry October 3, 2011 at 10:52 pm

i love your jacket!!

• myhanh October 3, 2011 at 11:07 pm

At first page open, the bronze is noticeable. I have love for you and Khatu both, of course! but I think the old brows and lighter complexion fit your classic persona more closely. 🙂 As for boots, I have the opposite problem with calf circumference from years of soccer!

• kileen October 3, 2011 at 11:21 pm

that scarf is so pretty and i love this dress! and great tip on the water — i'm always reminding myself to drink more too!

as for the bronzing, it's a nice change of pace from the everyday look (although i think maybe a little more blending along the cheekbones would make it look less harsh, but it's personal preference). lovely as always!

• maggie October 3, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I love your outfit! Especially the scarf — it adds such a nice touch ^^ Water is very important! Especially for people with dry skin.

xx maggie

• Ping October 3, 2011 at 11:37 pm

i was gonna say, girl you look tan! lol, i see ms. khatu did her magic. love this look, its very sophisticated and very put together.

i agree that shoes sizes have inflated! i swear i used to wear a size 6 which fit perfectly fine. these days, i need a size 5!

• Anonymous October 3, 2011 at 11:48 pm

too much bronze! when the page loaded I was like "whoa, what happened!". Prefer your natural look. Like the outfit though 🙂

• Vivian October 3, 2011 at 11:50 pm

GOR-GEOUS! Definitely different, maybe it's the makeup? Idk, but the outfit is looks very nice. (= Haha, yeah you look sleepy on the last shot… looking at it makes me sleepy too. I wish it rained more in Hawaii, like it does there. I love the rain! Too much Sun here.

• girly girl October 4, 2011 at 12:32 am

I love this outfit! I'm also forever in the hunt for classic knee high boots for my scrawny 12-inch calf! I can never wear a dress or skirt with my boots! btw, could you pls do a post on what to wear/pack for travel during winter? I'm going to nyc in November and I don't know what to bring! Pls help! 🙂

• Petite-ish October 4, 2011 at 12:33 am

Hi Jean! Ha, I was thinking you look more like khatu in these pictures before I read your note. I always look for boots a bit of elastic in the calf for the perfect fit. I love the cole haan and stuart weitzman flat boots but they are way too pricey for my (poor student) budget.

• swanprincess October 4, 2011 at 12:44 am

Hi Jean,
      I like you in your soft, everyday makeup better. The bronze thing does not look good.

• Mary Ann October 4, 2011 at 12:53 am

Oh wow, I'm really loving this look – especially how you tied the scarf. Home run outfit for me!

• Victoria October 4, 2011 at 1:16 am

Love this Parisian inspired look. The cropped jacket fits you perfectly.

xoxo,

Victoria

• Michelle October 4, 2011 at 1:27 am

Your makeup looks wonderful. You look so refreshed and give off a great glow. I especially like the way your makeup looks in the last pic… every thing looks defined. 🙂

• Anonymous October 4, 2011 at 3:46 am

looks a little airline stewardess

• Carla Krae October 4, 2011 at 5:53 am

Bit too much bronzer, sorry.

• Anonymous October 4, 2011 at 6:29 am

Jean, you look pretty in this outfit, and the scarf and pearls compliment it well.

For the make-up, you look nicer without the bronzer. Your previous brows seemed to frame your face better and gave you a youthful appearance. With these newly trimmed brows, the length seems to stop just short of where you'd naturally expect them to end, maybe due in part to the way the darker eyeshadow has been applied. It also makes your eyelids appear a tad puffy although I know that they probably aren't. I'm probably just nitpicking, but you look beautiful with your natural skin colour and your previous brows. It's fun to try out different looks though.

You have such a talent for putting together different outfits. Thanks for sharing them with us.

• Anonymous October 4, 2011 at 6:34 am

P.S. Love the candids you've been posting lately.

• shimmering2light October 4, 2011 at 7:25 am

The scarf looks very hermes esque! And the vintage boots are fabulous!

shimmering2light.blogspot.com

• Elle October 4, 2011 at 8:29 am

You look so chic! Love the Gucci scarf (can't believe it's the first time I noticed it) and the new boots. I really want a pair of riding boots too but already bought a pair of boots from H&M; so I have the luxury of time.

…and I may have to echo some of the sentiments expressed earlier (though I have to say the change is not as obvious in person), I like your more subtle makeup application (not that I know anything about make up or how to apply it properly) better, it just seems to suit you and your style?

• My Dressy Ways October 4, 2011 at 8:38 am

Girl time! Your eyebrows look great!

I've been on a mad search for the last couple years for a pair of cognac boots as well. The ones I've worn for three, maybe four years now are giving out on me. I just purchased a pair of Steve Maddens from Ideeli for way more than I would have ever wanted to pay (still cringing) but I hope they work. I love how cognac goes with everything – that's why I was willing to make the investment.

Your ebay score is pretty nice! I was trying to see what kind of heel they have on them, but no luck! :)I hope you find your dream pair too!

• lola October 4, 2011 at 8:42 am

what a great blog, love those pictures! you're such a beauty with an adorable style 🙂

love, lola