MNG by MANGO Challenge #3 – Parisian Chic

mngparis1

Dress: c/o MNG by MANGO sz XS  Belt: from F21 shorts  Jacket: BR
Clutch: H&M; (similarNecklace: Nordies Rack (similarWatch: Michael Kors Jet Set

Scarf: Gucci  Boots: eBay  11-12mm studs: bought here for $5

I was so excited to see a stripes-themed challenge for this week. My mind was racing…what lucky striped item will it be? My comfy AT tee? The DIY ruffle dress? Or my classic AT sheath? Then I realized I only got tops and dresses from jcpenney (as a petite woman shopping in a regular-sized line, I steered clear of the hardest-to-fit garment: pants), and nothing coordinated with my striped things.

After much debate, I ended up choosing a draped navy sheath (comes with a tie belt) that fits me decently with some room to give. As for the stripes component…I’m making the belt count : )
mngparis4
These boots were an eBay find from several years ago. We know older or vintage clothing runs small, but did you know the same goes for shoes? I know many women aren’t ok with pre-owned shoes, but there are some online that are unworn, or barely worn in pristine condition. These $30 boots are leather, size 6, made in Italy, with a 13″ calf circumference and a 14″ shaft height. Almost perfect. They hit smack at my knee bend, which is my pet peeve, so I wear them cuffed.
mngparis5
I’m still on the hunt for classic boots with the perfect fit. Readers and fellow bloggers – please help make your short-legged friend’s boot dreams come true by sharing any relevant finds this season. Wanted: 13″ tall, 13″ or less calf circumference boots with an almond toe, either flat riding style or with a simple ~3.5″ heel. Brown or black. I have heard tales of boot alterations both in shaft height as well as width, but I’m hesitant. I know they run very steep (maybe $80+) with no guarantee of success.
mngparis2

Sleeeepy! Snapped these early in the morning, in the cold and rain (typical, Boston!).

If my makeup looks different here, it’s because I spent the weekend with Khatu who trimmed my brows, liberally bronzed my face, introduced new mascara, and shared her secret for glowing skin: drinking bottles and bottles of water per day.

Disclosure: This campaign is produced by Style Coalition and sponsored by jcpenney.

For Daily Posts

71 Comments

1. Great Outfit! When you find the boots please share.

2. Wendy wrote:

adorable scarf!

3. Anonymous wrote:

You always look chic Jean even in your sleepy state 😉 I love this outfit on you the most – although I am sure there will be more MNG challeges coming along and I shall change my mind after seeing more.

Recently I checked out your voluminous puff bun tutorial and fell in love with the style. I went to ebay right away to buy the velcra and twisty pins. The velcra came home this weekend but not the twisty pins so I attempted to make a bun like you – suffice to say it did not come out as perfect as yours ;( I guess this style is one that will need practice to be perfect. You can see my excuse for a puff at my blog:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Thu

4. Holly wrote:

please do a post and let us know if you find those boots because i need some too! i hate that most tall boots meet right at my knee when they're supposed to be below the knee.

5. Josephine wrote:

I just ordered these kids riding boots from Zara (http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/us/en/zara-us-W2011/130511/418531/RIDING%2BBOOT%2BWITH%2BBUCKLE). I haven't received them yet but the shaft height and style looks great! Too bad it doesn't have a heel but at $60 and real leather it might be worth it to have 🙂

6. Marmander wrote:

Love the outfit! You always look so pretty.

Found a Nine West boot that is 13" circumference but the shaft is 11". It's a bit pricey at $199.
    But if it looks great then it might be worth it.

7. Sunny wrote:

Great job with the Parisian outfit! Funny, I think I have almost the exact same boots as you. I found mine at a thrift/vintage store in Rome when I was traveling around Italy. They are the same color, knee-high, and size 36 (or 6). 😀

8. JJ wrote:

I love the scarf! And as for petite boots — I'm on the hunt for very nearly the same thing, and they're just impossible to find. Why does the shaft always have to be SO long on every pair of boots I like? The only luck I've ever had is shopping from the kids' section, but when you're looking for a boot with a proper heel…well, you're not going to find that in the Girls 7-16 department!

9. Christie wrote:

The link to the dress is broken – can you please post it? I LOVE the dress! (and the whole look)

10. Anonymous wrote:

I like your natural makeup better. I think you put together a nice outfit, but it might be a little too mature for your age. I know you like to dress older (because of your petite size.) but I feel that this outfit is fit for a 40yr old lady.

I hope you (and your readers) won't get upset with my opinion. Your outfits are lovely, but it'll be refreshing to see some age appropriate outfits.

11. lola wrote:

what a great blog, love those pictures! you're such a beauty with an adorable style 🙂

love, lola

Posted 10.4.11 Reply
  12. Girl time! Your eyebrows look great!

I've been on a mad search for the last couple years for a pair of cognac boots as well. The ones I've worn for three, maybe four years now are giving out on me. I just purchased a pair of Steve Maddens from Ideeli for way more than I would have ever wanted to pay (still cringing) but I hope they work. I love how cognac goes with everything – that's why I was willing to make the investment.

Your ebay score is pretty nice! I was trying to see what kind of heel they have on them, but no luck! :)I hope you find your dream pair too!

13. Elle wrote:

You look so chic! Love the Gucci scarf (can't believe it's the first time I noticed it) and the new boots. I really want a pair of riding boots too but already bought a pair of boots from H&M; so I have the luxury of time.

…and I may have to echo some of the sentiments expressed earlier (though I have to say the change is not as obvious in person), I like your more subtle makeup application (not that I know anything about make up or how to apply it properly) better, it just seems to suit you and your style?

Posted 10.4.11 Reply
  14. The scarf looks very hermes esque! And the vintage boots are fabulous!

shimmering2light.blogspot.com

15. Anonymous wrote:

P.S. Love the candids you've been posting lately.

16. Anonymous wrote:

Jean, you look pretty in this outfit, and the scarf and pearls compliment it well.

For the make-up, you look nicer without the bronzer. Your previous brows seemed to frame your face better and gave you a youthful appearance. With these newly trimmed brows, the length seems to stop just short of where you'd naturally expect them to end, maybe due in part to the way the darker eyeshadow has been applied. It also makes your eyelids appear a tad puffy although I know that they probably aren't. I'm probably just nitpicking, but you look beautiful with your natural skin colour and your previous brows. It's fun to try out different looks though.

You have such a talent for putting together different outfits. Thanks for sharing them with us.

17. Carla Krae wrote:

Bit too much bronzer, sorry.

18. Anonymous wrote:

looks a little airline stewardess

19. Michelle wrote:

Your makeup looks wonderful. You look so refreshed and give off a great glow. I especially like the way your makeup looks in the last pic… every thing looks defined. 🙂

20. Victoria wrote:

Love this Parisian inspired look. The cropped jacket fits you perfectly.

xoxo,

Victoria

21. Mary Ann wrote:

Oh wow, I'm really loving this look – especially how you tied the scarf. Home run outfit for me!

22. Hi Jean,
    I like you in your soft, everyday makeup better. The bronze thing does not look good.

23. Petite-ish wrote:

Hi Jean! Ha, I was thinking you look more like khatu in these pictures before I read your note. I always look for boots a bit of elastic in the calf for the perfect fit. I love the cole haan and stuart weitzman flat boots but they are way too pricey for my (poor student) budget.

24. girly girl wrote:

I love this outfit! I'm also forever in the hunt for classic knee high boots for my scrawny 12-inch calf! I can never wear a dress or skirt with my boots! btw, could you pls do a post on what to wear/pack for travel during winter? I'm going to nyc in November and I don't know what to bring! Pls help! 🙂

25. Vivian wrote:

GOR-GEOUS! Definitely different, maybe it's the makeup? Idk, but the outfit is looks very nice. (= Haha, yeah you look sleepy on the last shot… looking at it makes me sleepy too. I wish it rained more in Hawaii, like it does there. I love the rain! Too much Sun here.

26. Anonymous wrote:

too much bronze! when the page loaded I was like "whoa, what happened!". Prefer your natural look. Like the outfit though 🙂

27. Ping wrote:

i was gonna say, girl you look tan! lol, i see ms. khatu did her magic. love this look, its very sophisticated and very put together.

i agree that shoes sizes have inflated! i swear i used to wear a size 6 which fit perfectly fine. these days, i need a size 5!

28. maggie wrote:

I love your outfit! Especially the scarf — it adds such a nice touch ^^ Water is very important! Especially for people with dry skin.

xx maggie

29. kileen wrote:

that scarf is so pretty and i love this dress! and great tip on the water — i'm always reminding myself to drink more too!

as for the bronzing, it's a nice change of pace from the everyday look (although i think maybe a little more blending along the cheekbones would make it look less harsh, but it's personal preference). lovely as always!

30. myhanh wrote:

At first page open, the bronze is noticeable. I have love for you and Khatu both, of course! but I think the old brows and lighter complexion fit your classic persona more closely. 🙂 As for boots, I have the opposite problem with calf circumference from years of soccer!

31. i love your jacket!!

32. Anonymous wrote:

love this outfit!! Could you review the newly-released size p00 of jcrew lady coat? Thanks a lot!

33. Michelle wrote:

Gorgeous!!! You look so confident in this look!

I love those boots! Ebay, huh? I am such a chicken about buying shoes online! As for recommendations, I highly recommend trying on a pair of Stuart Weitzman stretch boots.

Your makeup is gorgeous! I am totally feeling a Khatu-vibe going on! 🙂

34. mai wrote:

Love it! The scarf and pearls make this outfit!

Posted 10.3.11 Reply
  35. I love that outfit. Gorgeous. I would love to find the same boots as you – in the same size. So, do share if you find them. I've got nothing as of now.

36. Cher wrote:

Finding boots that fit is a pain, isn't it? It's usually boots that come from "higher-end" designers that come with smaller shafts, at least in width. I've had success with altering the width of a shaft, but I would imagine that altering the height of the shaft would be much easier.

37. Chloe wrote:

Aw, pretty-pretty Jean! Love it.

38. Ellie wrote:

For riding boots that fit, order actual horseback riding boots custom. You might even be able to find them in your specs. I remember my friends that ride telling me to do the same (the shaft is always too tall for my shins) since riding boots can either be custom made or found in more sizes and fits.

Posted 10.3.11 Reply
  39. What a fun way to spend the weekend – getting style tips from a good friend! Love the new make-up look (but your usual technique is also so pretty). What products did Khatu use? Your cheeks are glowing!

Posted 10.3.11 Reply
  40. You look gorgeous Jean! Can the dress be worn alone?

41. Anonymous wrote:

You look way too bronzed, it looks almost orange! I like you better w/your au naturel makeup!

42. You do a little different, glowing of course, in the cold! LOL 🙂

I love your outfit, especially the neck scarf. I do hope you find those dream boots. I had no idea they do alterations for them, either. $80+ is an extremely risky for something that may or may not work :p

43. Fanny wrote:

I have the Intyce boots by Steve Madden. The shaft is 15 inches and the heel height is about 1.25 inches (not exactly what you wanted) but the height doesn't bother me at all cause it doesn't reach to my knees at all.

I bought it from Steve Madden directly, but here is a link to Nordstrom's website. It's very similar to the boots you have now but just in case you want a second pair 🙂

44. Anonymous wrote:

I'm on the hunt for the unexisting petite boot too! Can you do a post on boots? You'd think with petite clothing it would dawn on someone to make petite boots too right?!

45. I am Khatu wrote:

lol, always remember to hydrate.

Posted 10.3.11 Reply
  46. love your scarf sweetie!!

Posted 10.3.11 Reply
  47. You look gorgeous…love this so much!

48. Yulia wrote:

p.s. by blue of course I meant navy. It's been a long day…

49. Yulia wrote:

Love both the outfit and the makeup! Blue + beige is such a classy combination…nautical yet cosmopolitan.

50. Ria wrote:

Always so chic! Do you ever have a bad outfit day? 😀 I love this one!

Get the newsletter!

What updates would you like?