So many of my everyday outfits involve a plain black turtleneck as a starting point – I wear mine with everything from jeans and pants to skirts and suiting, and sometimes layered under sleeveless sheath dresses. Lately I love a black turtleneck simply tucked into a tweed skirt, with either a long cardigan or blazer to make it business casual. I found two affordable, good quality tweed skirts I love with a little Chanel-inspired flair, and better yet they fit perfectly without alterations! If you’re still in the midst of dreary winter weather, add a pair of fleece lined tights (I have sz S and wear ’em on heavy rotation).
mock neck bodysuit (4 colors)
Madewell makes a great lightweight “whisper cotton” black turtleneck (also at shopbop), but I’ve also been on the hunt for a bodysuit version that will stay tucked in all day with minimal bulge around the hips. I’m admittedly a fuller coverage undies kinda gal, so was happy to find this Everlane bodysuit that isn’t a thong bottom (although there certainly are seamless perks to thong bodysuits). It’s a fitted piece so I sized up to XS for comfort, and as a result the torso length is not snug on me like my usual size could be, but it’s also not noticeably long. The mock neck is flattering, the fabric is great quality with a good thickness and weight to it, and thankfully the “luster” doesn’t actually have much of a sheen. And just in case it’s not clear, bodysuits have a snap button bottom for going to the bathroom!
Here’s a couple of my recent posts on other Everlane pieces if you’re looking to tally up 2 items for free shipping!
TextureD skirt (3 colors)
I own so many favorite pieces from H&M that have lasted the test of time, both in terms of quality and style. So although the brand may be fast fashion in nature, by shopping selectively you can definitely find wardrobe staples that can be worn for years and years. Their skirt selection is always a go-to for me since sizing runs small. H&M is one of the few brands that extra petite shoppers can find bottoms that don’t require taking in at the waist!
These tweed skirts are both listed under the same link – there’s actually 3 color variations, including a pretty pink tweed that reminds me of this old skirt I love! Both of the ones I ordered are nice quality with a medium weight textured fabric, full lining, and back zipper. I sized up to a US 2 which fits smaller than a 00 petite in most American brands, so consider sizing up especially if you want a little more length to wear these skirts in an office setting.
Measurements: Size US 2 is 12.5″ across the waist, 16.5″ across the hips, and 17.75″ in length. Fabric does not stretch.
Other items to check out while browsing H&M:
- Pleated skirts – elastic waist is super comfy for all day wear and I basically lived in these while pregnant and postpartum. H&M has a chiffon version I’m interested in that is more airy and lightweight, compared to this one that I own (see it on me) which is more opaque and less flowy. Loving the mint and light green colors for spring!
- Another pretty black and white Chanel-esque skirt, which looks more comfortable due to the stretch knit sweater material and elasticized waistband.
- A classic belted sheath dress in black or beige.
- An extensive maternity & nursing section.
- Baby & kids clothes! This is actually why I was placing an order in the first place. Nori is outgrowing her H&M cotton cardigans so I got bigger sizes in this dotted lightweight cardigan, this thicker cotton cardigan, and these cute basic bodysuits. H&M toddler runs a little big so she’s 18 months and fits size 12-18m.