• Friends & Family sales: LOFT Camel coat + olive legging jeans

Winter outfit olive jeans LOFT camel coat review

LOFT olive legging jeans sz 24p (5 colors) and wool-blend coat in xxsp (3 colors)
    Talbots striped tee sz Petite P, Sole Society booties sz 5.5

The pre-Thanksgiving F&F; sales are rolling in, including 25% off site-wide for Kate Spade (one of my go-to’s for holiday gifts) with GIFTED, 40% off at Ann Taylor with FRIENDS40 including new arrivals that hit yesterday, and also 40% at LOFT with code SHAREIT. I get a lot of questions on the olive skinny jeans I wear constantly, but they’re an older style by 7FAMK. I’ve tried on several alternatives from a wide price range and these LOFT sateen 5-pocket legging jeans were the best dupe I’ve found, plus are very affordable with this sale! They come in 5 colors and in regular, petite, and tall sizing…

I’m trying on a 24P which was a snug fit, and the length is great for shorties (just cuffed up once with these booties). I’m always surprised by how slim LOFT’s skinny jeans run compared to their skirts and pants, which I almost always need to get altered. The sateen material is not a shiny one (like what I typically mentally associate with “sateen”), more with a sueded feel and the color is a true dark olive. LOFT also makes a coated legging jean that fits equally great. The carbon color is a fun alternative to plain black jeans and the brandywine is beautiful in-person.
    LOFT petite olive sateen skinny legging jeans
    On to this coat – for several years now I’ve been shopping for a classic, belted camel coat. The top contenders for me each year remained the J.Crew’s popular icon trench (see my past review) and Burberry Brit’s camel coat (see my past review). The J.Crew had great details but a boxier cut and the Burberry was better but at a much steeper price point, so I wanted to take time and shop around more. You would think there’d be more options for such a staple piece! Years later I’m still camel-coatless and didn’t want to go any longer without one. I finally took the plunge with the Burberry (got a size 2 for layering room and shortened the sleeves) which of course has gone up in price during the time I’ve been hemming and hawing away, but I hope the number of wears over the next few years will make it a worthwhile splurge.

I’ll be showing more of that coat soon, but as a look-for-less, I wanted to do a quick review on this LOFT belted coat. It’s not too similar, but is one of the very few camel coat options I’ve found this year, especially since the J.Crew icon trench in camel sold like hotcakes before Fall barely began. It is single breasted, and a slight A-line cut when unbelted.
    LOFT camel brown coat petite
    The style has a funnel neck like the Burberry  which can be worn folded down, or propped up for full neck/lower chin coverage on brisk days. The material is a 50% wool blend which I found to be ~ medium weight. The quality of the material was average, nothing to write home about but I haven’t seen better options at the sale price point. I thought it fit true to size for LOFT coats and my usual xxsp had room for thick layers underneath. Details-wise, I like the classic shoulder epaulettes and button tabs by the wrists, however I never understand why coat pockets have upper openings instead of side/slanted for easier hand entry!
    Banana Republic petite yellow coat

As part of this LOFT sale I ordered the coated legging jeans and plaid funnel neck coat to try – I’m iffy about what the coat material will be like, but am in love with the taupe/ gray/ brick red color scheme and how it goes with almost everything I’ve been wearing lately. UPDATE: the coated legging jeans are amazing and a definite keep – would highly recommend. The coat pattern is great and fit in xxsp is also good on me for a coat, but the material is not high quality…will be trying it on more and deciding on that one.

Banana Republic actually also makes a plaid gray coat in petites which I saw in store and thought was nice quality. The pattern doesn’t speak to me as much, but I wanted to mention their 3-button coat in general which I hope they’ll make in more colors/patterns! I tried on the bright neon version of the same coat above in XSP (my usual size was sold out in-store) and was impressed by the tailored yet classic feminine look – a nice alternative to the J.Crew lady day. It was just a little big so I think my usual Banana Republic size would’ve fit perfectly. The bright lime was too bright as a coat even for this neon-lover (however there are lots of 5-star reviews for it already online), but check out the grey plaid for a more muted look.

36 thoughts on “Friends & Family sales: LOFT Camel coat + olive legging jeans

• Lia November 12, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Hey Jean, I'm excited to see your upcoming Daylesmoore post!

On the topics of coats, have you ever tried on any styles from Reiss? I'm about one size bigger than you, also 5'0", and their size 2 is quite snug on me. I think the 0 could potentially fit you.

• Lynn Tran November 12, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Jean! I love your blog. I've been following you for awhile but have never commented. I'm getting married next year and loved all your wedding photos and inspos. I'm really curious about the transition time you had between the tea ceremony to your actual library ceremony. Was the first look before the tea? Did the tea happen at home? I'm so confused about what to do and whether an outfit change was too hectic to deal with? Please help! Would love to hear a timeline or itinerary of your wedding day for some ideas! Thanks!

• Unknown November 12, 2015 at 8:00 pm

Stuff falls out of slant pockets so much easier, especially in a loose but rigid garment like an overcoat.

• Anonymous November 12, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Dumb question– how do you tie your bows so perfectly?

• Keri H November 12, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Absolutely loving that camel coat. It's the perfect length and hits you at just the riht spot!

Enclothed Cognition

• prudence yeo November 12, 2015 at 9:33 pm

The bright lime color of the coat is really striking and I guess it will appeal to people who want something more bold! Love the olive skinny jeans on you, looks very flattering!

Prudence

• Sasa Zoe November 12, 2015 at 10:49 pm

Need that banana trench:P

Shall We Sasa

• Trang Do November 13, 2015 at 1:47 am

Great look! Love those coats!
      Xoxo,
      Love from http://www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

• Lucy Lai November 13, 2015 at 2:28 am

Love the camel coat!

MISS LUCIA | Fashion & Lifestyle

• Unknown November 13, 2015 at 8:40 am

I had also been on the hunt for an affordable camel coat this year. This one fits my 5'0" frame perfect. No alterations needed!

• Julie Hiller November 13, 2015 at 10:53 am

I tried on that Loft coat in the store but I found it was too baggy in the body–when I had it belted it just looked sort of like a sack. Sad too, because I'd love to find a classic camel coat this year!

Lifestyle by Joules

• Yeimy Ceballos November 13, 2015 at 10:54 am

I bought the LOFT jeans in the grey. I'm 5'2, 116lbs and the 26P fit perfectly with no alterations. Yes, it is true that they are very snug. However, the sales associate suggested I take my regular size because if I went one size bigger, they would become too big and I probably would never wear them again. I'm so happy I followed her advice. They've stretched out to a non-vulgar fit. 🙂

• Olivia November 13, 2015 at 10:55 am

I want to know too! 🙂

• sarahp November 13, 2015 at 3:20 pm
    • Anonymous November 13, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Love this blog! Jean can you please post on how you do your hair??

• Art Adorned November 13, 2015 at 4:58 pm

These coats are so cute I love the colors so gorgeous, and they fit so perfectly.

• Briannac0 November 14, 2015 at 12:09 am

Hi Jean! I was wondering if the leggings are low rise or mid rise? Thanks in advance! Love your blog! The

• Maggie Zemanek November 14, 2015 at 8:58 am

Love the post!! I've also been on the hunt for a camel coat so I love your reviews for them. 🙂

• Anonymous November 15, 2015 at 9:25 am

what color coated denim leggings did you get?

• mybeautrip November 15, 2015 at 10:32 am

Lovely camel coat!
      xx

• Mady T. November 15, 2015 at 11:19 am

love the lime coat!

xoxo
      Mady

thegirlfromthemirror.blogspot.com

• Eniwhere Fashion November 15, 2015 at 11:53 am

Nice selection my dear. BR lime coat is my favorite!!! Have a nice day, kisses from Italy,
      Eni

Eniwhere Fashion
      Bloglovin of Eniwhere Fashion

• Jean November 16, 2015 at 11:24 pm

Hi Lia! Yes, I think Reiss has some great looking styles…love European brands for their smaller fit!

• Jean November 16, 2015 at 11:46 pm

Hi Lynn! Congrats on your upcoming wedding! We got a wedding coordinator who was experienced with Asian tea ceremonies and she helped draft a timeline based on the number of ppl we wanted involved and all of our needs. I would highly recommend that because everyone's needs and party sizes are different. We have small families so had sufficient transition time for an outfit change. We got a larger bridal suite in order to accommodate having the tea ceremony on couches within the suite, and we had a quick first look in the same suite and then I changed in there after the tea ceremony was over. Good luck with your planning!

• Jean November 16, 2015 at 11:46 pm

I see…my slant pockets usually have zippers so I haven't thought about that!

• Jean November 16, 2015 at 11:59 pm

Hi ladies! I have a tutorial of the half bow here. One end is shorter than the other because I did a half bow, but for a full bow, keep both ends more even. At 5:24 seconds make a loop with your right hand too before proceeding, in order to get a full bow: http://www.extrapetite.com/2011/10/all-about-belts-how-to-tie-hole-punch.html

• Jean November 17, 2015 at 12:00 am

Cute! I wish Lands End would make more extended sizing!

• Jean November 17, 2015 at 12:02 am

Thanks for the tip on the sizing for others who are in between!

• Jean November 17, 2015 at 12:03 am

Hi Sarah! Yes I saw and it looks great online…however I saw in reviews that it runs pretty big / long even for ladies who said they were tall. Too bad!

• Jean November 17, 2015 at 12:03 am

Thanks! I have a few hair tutorials if you search on my side bar : )

• Jean November 17, 2015 at 12:03 am

Hi! The waist hits about an inch below my navel, so I'd say mid : )

• Jean November 17, 2015 at 12:04 am

The burgundy ones!

• Anonymous November 23, 2015 at 2:09 am

The LOFT camel coat does actually have slant pockets at the sides in addition to the the pockets in the front. I bought the coat last month and didn't find out about the pockets until about the third wear when my hand just slipped into it by accident. They're very well hidden.

• Olivia November 23, 2015 at 11:18 am

Thanks Jean! Hope you're having a great time in Maine! 🙂

• Karina December 3, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Hi Jean! How stretchy are those jeans? I'm pregnant and looking for leggings/jeans that have enough stretch to get me through the awkward weeks before proper maternity pants are in order. Thanks!

• Susan April 3, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Do you ever sell your items? I would love to buy this coat or other things you no longer wear if you were to ever clear out your closet! 🙂