Winter White

ann taylor winter white outfit3

I look forward to the first major snowfall every year – it’s one of the few times when winter feels absolutely magical, before the snow gets covered with salt and becomes a muddy slush. Yes I was cold snapping these photos but I couldn’t resist. You can see how I would typically dress for the winter commute with waterproof boots, sweater legwarmers, and a cozy jacket over this outfit:

ann taylor winter white outfit4

Hunter Tour packable boots (review), Sheinside jacket (review), DIY legwarmers

The winter white in this outfit would also look good paired simply with black tights and pumps. The heat has been blasting at my office so I’ve been taking off my tights or legwarmers once there. For those who have asked, I definitely don’t wear my weather boots at work during the day – like the majority of fellow commuters here, I take them off at my desk and keep them there until going home. I’m especially excited to have “packable” boots now in case it’s only raining during one way of the commute. If a shoe change might be needed, I plan on bringing lightweight flats and rolling up the boots then carrying them in the pouch they came in.

Tuck away a colorful clutch in your work tote for evenings activities or holiday parties:

ann taylor winter white outfit

I picked out this skirt thanks to Ann Taylor – the lace is described as “metallic gold” online and I think the stock photo color is accurate. It is a very subtle gold with hints of light sage-grey colors and some sparkle in the knit.

Skirt is fully lined with a side zipper, and the grosgrain ribbon waist and scalloped bottom are pretty touches that lets it transition easily from work to special occasions. The sizing feels true to AT brands – a 00 petite waist measures about 26″ around for reference. I took the waist in myself (easier than usual due to the elasticized waistband) and can post the step-by-step if anyone is interested. For a skirt that fits perfectly right off the rack, I recommend this dot sweater skirt (reviewed here) which is very good quality and a fair value with the 50% off!

ann taylor winter white outfit2

Tory Burch tote (up to 30% off w/ code LUCKY, full price here but more colors)

You can style a full cream outfit like this with a different neutral colored bag (as shown in the first pic), or with a pop of rich color like the red clutch for events or this burgundy satchel. And oh, as a reminder the sweater I’m wearing is a “cropped” style – don’t want anyone to be surprised by the shorter length and sleeves! I personally love this style, but was thinking that those who want more length and longer sleeves could probably fare well with the regular sizing.

**Cyber Monday sale** – through 12/1, use code CYBER50 for 50% off the entire Ann Taylor site. My whole outfit here is at least half off or more! Happy shopping!

63 thoughts on “Winter White

• Anonymous November 30, 2014 at 7:31 pm

You look gorgeous Jean!! Thanks for the informative line up with reviews!! Love your blog! I'm a fan!! I saw your photo on facebook featuring a patterned black and white jacket with your red Hunter boots. Do you mind sharing that jacket with me? I love it!! And I'm in need of a patterned coat. Everything coat I own is solid color now~~

• Dressed with soul November 30, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I love it so much that you styled your Hunters even with this beautiful winter white outfit! Congratulations and thank you that you beared the cold – this outfit is again perfect and you inspired me once more my Hunters not only to wear for walks in the rain 🙂
    xx from Germany/Bavaria, Rena

• Aleksandra Ivanko-Deel November 30, 2014 at 8:25 pm

I love this outfit. It looks beautiful on you. Everything from the skirt to the Jacket looks so well put together.

• Sasa Zoe November 30, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Looking beautiful! 🙂

Shall We Sasa

• Jean December 1, 2014 at 12:04 am

Thank you so much! Which coat are you talking about? I went and looked and don't see a patterned jacket with red boots. There is one I posted with black boots and that is an Anthropologie scroll coat that's unfortunately from last year : /

• Anonymous December 1, 2014 at 12:21 am

Beautiful lace skirt! http://www.kblossoms.etsy.com

• prudence yeo December 1, 2014 at 12:36 am

The red hunter boots look really cute with the classy outfit! Love the layered necklaces which really glam up the whole look and the fur collar jacket is such a pretty piece too!

Prudence

• little random happiness December 1, 2014 at 12:52 am

The snowy setting is definitely magical! You look beautiful. I don't own many white items in my closet but you've inspired me to start looking hehe. Thank you!

• Elaine December 1, 2014 at 1:21 am

If it's the coat in the pictures above, isn't that one from Sheinside?

• Anonymous December 1, 2014 at 4:08 am

Hi Jean,

I'm traveling to Manila in a couple weeks and will be spending Christmas and New Years there, I was wondering if you had any suggestions for holidays dresses? I was planning on getting a dress before I flew out of San Francisco. The red lace Banana Republic you featured on a blog post around this time last year was a definite winner for me so something like that dress would be really perfect for me. If only I didn't wear it this most recent Christmas and had too many pictures taken wearing it, I would wear it again! Haha.

Looking forward to hearing from you. 🙂

Danielle

• TaraMixandMatch December 1, 2014 at 5:51 am

I love how pretty this outfit looks in the snow!

• Sweets & Style December 1, 2014 at 7:01 am

Beautiful outfit! Love the skirt, the pearls and the coat!
    X
    Miri

• Rachel Dinh December 1, 2014 at 10:08 am

Great Winter White Jean! Happy December.

• Jean December 1, 2014 at 10:28 am

Maybe, but I didn't post the picture above on FB so was confused!

• Julie December 1, 2014 at 10:45 am

This outfit is just gorgeous! I love the detail on that skirt. I'm right there with you on the first snowfall of the year–we got about an inch in Michigan and I loved it. Then it turned to slush! Oh well, I'm looking forward to more winter outfits from you!

Style by Joules

• Anonymous December 1, 2014 at 1:28 pm

My apology! I was referring to the one Jean wore with the SW boots and red bag. I wasn't looking at the picture when commenting hence I thought the red was from the Hunters 😛 Thanks Jean for answering

• Anonymous December 1, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Thanks Elaine too! Was thinking about getting the Sheinside coat but seems not warm enough for me

• Emily December 1, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Winter white is so chic with snow in the background! I wish I could pull off this type of look in California, but it doesn't look like we're getting snow anytime soon. 🙂

Jemily Life

• Champagne Star December 1, 2014 at 4:20 pm

great outfit, but I know you must have been freezing! It can be difficult to be cute during the winter when, after a point, you are more concerned with staying warm than looking good.

• Anonymous December 1, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Hi, Jean! I've seen you post a lot about these Hunter packable boots, but I've wondered what they look like when they're "packed." Would you mind taking pictures of them when packed so I can see how they look rolled up?

• Jean December 1, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Hi Danielle! What size do you wear? That'll help me narrow down some options. I haven't seen anything yet this year that jumped out like the BR lace (forever one of my favorites) but will give it some thought!

• Jean December 1, 2014 at 9:41 pm
  • annie lee December 1, 2014 at 11:57 pm

wow snow!!!!! we don't get snow here in where i live so this is so exciting haha 🙂 you look so elegant jean x

• Anonymous December 2, 2014 at 1:37 am

Another beautiful outfit 🙂 I'll have to check out those boots. I currently own the Hunter regent savoy and they are super slim fitting as well for slim shorter calfs. just a touch shorter than the tour but in a riding boot cut minus the buckles

Its a good slightly dressier alternative; but I've been wanting a fun color for a while.. thinking about the bright peacock in the tours now 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

KC

• Anonymous December 2, 2014 at 7:26 am

Hi Jean, Love your blog and outfit! What kind of legwarms do you use? Anything besides the Hunter boot socks? It seems even with boots and tights and a long coat my legs could still get cold in the winter? Thanks!

• Anonymous December 2, 2014 at 11:09 am

Jean, love your style. Your blog is the only one I can find pays attention to regular and affordable brands. I've bought many great items since I followed your blog, and will definitely follow you in the future. I also appreciate any review you've given, which are candid and righteous, no matter the brands and styles. I am wonder whether you've tried any Balenciaga bag? I really admire Balenciaga bag, but just worry the city is too big for my 5'2'' figure. The Balenciaga town and fist bags seem smaller, but I never tried them. I would like to hear your opinion about those bags. Thank you so much. Happy holiday!!

• Suzie Q December 2, 2014 at 3:51 pm

This winter white shoot is just so dreamy! I absolutely am in love with the skirt, and I love how you made it chic paired with a cable sweater and necklace!

Suzie Q

• Anonymous December 2, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Hi Jean, I've been following you for years and love your style and really appreciate your shopping tips as a fellow petite gal. I was wondering if you have any suggestions for smaller guys – my fiancé is 5'6" and weighs less than 120lbs – I thought shopping for me is hard, but it's impossible for him! Even designer stuff is too big. Thanks in advance for any advice at all.

• Anonymous December 3, 2014 at 12:24 am

Hi Jean! How are you liking the red Kate Spade wallet featured in the Laura Mercier make up post? Thank you!

• Anonymous December 3, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Omg jean- these photos are magical! -Bettina

• Hayley December 3, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Hi Jean — I wanted to share with you this dress I ordered from Piperlime firstly because it was green (I need a green dress), and secondly because the reviews indicate that it runs small which I always get excited about! Anyhow, I got it in the mail and the fit is absolutely amazing although it will need to be hemmed an inch or two. Aside from the amazing fit, it is only $35 (sale price) and can be dressed up or dressed down for casual wear. I just went ahead and also ordered it in the orange color even though I have a million orange dresses because I love the green one so much. I'm barely 5'1" and 100 lbs. http://piperlime.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=90557&vid;=1&pid;=232216002

• Anonymous December 3, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Hi Jean! Thanks so much for your reply! I usually wear a size 4 in BR dresses. 🙂

Danielle

• Elifnaz December 3, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Lovely look, beautiful pics!

• Anonymous December 3, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Hey Jean, did you know your photo was featured here?

That's awesome! 🙂

• Anonymous December 3, 2014 at 10:05 pm

I love how you rock patterned coats and striped sweater/tees and still look girly and elegant!! Can you recommend me some good crop stripe sweater/tee and patterned coats this year?

• Anonymous December 3, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Can you please post on how you tucked the AT skirt in? It looks amazing btw on you

• Anonymous December 3, 2014 at 11:31 pm

I miss your old posts where there were less "c/o" clothing and you broaden your creative outlet with pieces you already have. Maybe I am saying this because I am jealous.

• Paola December 4, 2014 at 5:53 am

So chic!

• Anonymous December 4, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Hi Jean, I really like the DVF Zarita lace dress you posted a while back but unfortunately it's out of my price range. Recently I came across a cheaper version by Adrianna Papell and was wondering if you've looked at this brand before or any other less expensive alternatives. Thanks!

Below is a link to the dress:

• Anonymous December 4, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Beautiful!!. Like your lipstick too! if you don't mind, can you tell me what color and brand?
    thanks!