• Two Generations of Lace

holiday party lace dress

On me: DVF Zarita dress (gifted & first posted here), DIY sash, Manolo Blahnik BB pumps
    On my mom: Adrianna Papell lace dress in “cassis” (also in sleeveless or cap sleeve)

For the second half of my collaboration with Nordstrom holiday dresses (see part one for this $26 petite-friendly find), I chose an older piece from my closet that’s become a favorite over the year. I didn’t expect the “nude” pink color to be as versatile cross-seasonally as its proven to be. I wore it with white and gold back in spring, and have paired it with deeper hues like hunter green for fall events. I hope to get another wear in before winter turns me Casper-y pale and the nude disappears into my skin. For the holidays, I made this fun oversized sash to accentuate the waistline and break up the all-over lace look.

holiday party lace dress1

A few of you have asked about more affordable dupes for this dress, in particular the Adriana Papell version. This brand starts at size 2P so I haven’t considered it personally, but was thrilled that my mom has it. While I was growing up, my parents were pretty stern and always chastised my shopping habit (“books over looks!”), so I’ve been secretly quite pleased in recent years to get texts from Mom on her clothing and makeup “hauls” inspired by my blog posts. It took some coaxing for her to join me in photos but my dad cracking jokes off-camera helped : )

holiday party lace dress3

The design of both dresses is pretty similar with the biggest difference I observed (did not try the AP on myself) being the lace materials. I can’t describe it well -see above closeup- but the DVF lace is a larger, more distinct floral which I do think looks a little more higher end. It might also be accentuated though by the lighter vs darker shades here, but both dresses come in a variety of colors. Composition of the stretchy lace is 70% rayon / 30% nylon for DVF and 56% rayon / 44% nylon for AP. Lower-quality rayon and nylon can be pilling-prone but I’ve had no signs of that on the DVF, and can’t speak to my mom’s dress. Both dresses are double-lined in a soft knit material, with a zipper closure down the back. The AP is made in China and the DVF is domestically-made.

holiday party lace dress2

According to my mom, this ran fairly true to size if not big (she is 5’2″ for reference, and 34″ bust, 28.5″ waist, and 35″ around the hips). This dress in 2P looked like a good fit on her with some extra room in the hips. She’s usually worrisome of her upper arms and tummy and I thought this look flattered both areas. I do think this type of stretchy dress would look best very fitted (looks too loose in some stock photos), so consider sizing down. I am wearing a 0 regular in the DVF which has been altered – see the original fit on me:

DVF zarita lace dress before

I had my tailor slim the sleeves through the armholes and taper the bottom of the skirt for a more fitted “pencil” silhouette. I hope these photos show how classic a lace sheath can be for women of all ages!

This post was sponsored by Nordstrom to share holiday dressing ideas.

62 thoughts on “Two Generations of Lace

• Anonymous December 8, 2014 at 10:06 am

Your mother is adorable and classy all at once! Gracious you two take lovely photos! I like the way you styled the pink dress with a large bow – creative!

• Julie December 8, 2014 at 10:40 am

What a great post! It's fun to see your mom after following you for so many years. She looks great! I love both dresses, but I might prefer yours because I'm not a big fan of back zips. Plus the belting really accentuates the waistline beautifully.

Style by Joules

• Anonymous December 8, 2014 at 11:10 am

Hello, Jean. You both look so sophisticated, you and your mum. It's possible to feel the warmth between you and your mum. Best wishes — Anu from Finland.

• Millie Scimia December 8, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Now we see where you get it from! Your mom is stunning!

• Joyce TeawithMD December 8, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Jean this post is so heartwarming and makes me so happy! I love that you and your mom share a love for fashion. I've also been sharing my skincare/beauty tips with my mom since I started my blog, and she can't be happier that I'm going to be a dermatologist. Moms are the best!

XO
      Joyce

• Dayle December 9, 2014 at 6:00 am

You guys look adorable! I especially like how your metallic pumps compliment the blush tone of your dress 😀

• A Golden Tulip December 9, 2014 at 6:09 pm

you two look so pretty in those lace dresses…love both the dresses…

xo
      Hems

• Anonymous December 9, 2014 at 11:49 pm

the dress is too short for ur mom's age

• Jean December 10, 2014 at 2:31 am

I disagree – I personally think 1.5 to 2 inches above the knee is a respectable length, and hope other women aged similarly are not deterred from feeling confident and beautiful in that type of length.

• Bettyna Ciorba December 11, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Your dress is stunning x

Emma

• Carrie December 11, 2014 at 8:57 pm

I have been eyeing this DVF lace dress on Shopbop for ages but have never made the leap and purchased it.

I am so loving how you wore it with the DIY bow! <3

Thanks for the inspiration!

Cheers,
      Carrie
      http://www.carriesim.com | Instagram: @carriesim

• Suzie Q December 15, 2014 at 5:56 am

That is so sweet to see you and your mother in an outfit post together! I love the theme of lace dresses on both of you, you both look beautiful in them!

Suzie Q