Winter White

ann taylor winter white outfit3

I look forward to the first major snowfall every year – it’s one of the few times when winter feels absolutely magical, before the snow gets covered with salt and becomes a muddy slush. Yes I was cold snapping these photos but I couldn’t resist. You can see how I would typically dress for the winter commute with waterproof boots, sweater legwarmers, and a cozy jacket over this outfit:

ann taylor winter white outfit4

Hunter Tour packable boots (review), Sheinside jacket (review), DIY legwarmers

The winter white in this outfit would also look good paired simply with black tights and pumps. The heat has been blasting at my office so I’ve been taking off my tights or legwarmers once there. For those who have asked, I definitely don’t wear my weather boots at work during the day – like the majority of fellow commuters here, I take them off at my desk and keep them there until going home. I’m especially excited to have “packable” boots now in case it’s only raining during one way of the commute. If a shoe change might be needed, I plan on bringing lightweight flats and rolling up the boots then carrying them in the pouch they came in.

Tuck away a colorful clutch in your work tote for evenings activities or holiday parties:

ann taylor winter white outfit

I picked out this skirt thanks to Ann Taylor – the lace is described as “metallic gold” online and I think the stock photo color is accurate. It is a very subtle gold with hints of light sage-grey colors and some sparkle in the knit.

Skirt is fully lined with a side zipper, and the grosgrain ribbon waist and scalloped bottom are pretty touches that lets it transition easily from work to special occasions. The sizing feels true to AT brands – a 00 petite waist measures about 26″ around for reference. I took the waist in myself (easier than usual due to the elasticized waistband) and can post the step-by-step if anyone is interested. For a skirt that fits perfectly right off the rack, I recommend this dot sweater skirt (reviewed here) which is very good quality and a fair value with the 50% off!

ann taylor winter white outfit2

Tory Burch tote (up to 30% off w/ code LUCKY, full price here but more colors)

You can style a full cream outfit like this with a different neutral colored bag (as shown in the first pic), or with a pop of rich color like the red clutch for events or this burgundy satchel. And oh, as a reminder the sweater I’m wearing is a “cropped” style – don’t want anyone to be surprised by the shorter length and sleeves! I personally love this style, but was thinking that those who want more length and longer sleeves could probably fare well with the regular sizing.

**Cyber Monday sale** – through 12/1, use code CYBER50 for 50% off the entire Ann Taylor site. My whole outfit here is at least half off or more! Happy shopping!

63 thoughts on “Winter White

• Jean December 5, 2014 at 2:20 am

Too funny…my mom has this! Just did a post on this, hope it helps in your search.

• Jean December 5, 2014 at 2:21 am

Thank you so much – it's Laura Mercier "red amour." I actually got it as part of a gift with purchase when buying some caviar eye sticks…so win win!

• Jean December 5, 2014 at 2:23 am

Welcome to Boston! To be honest I haven't tried on any snowboots because I haven't had the need. I have a short commute and don't really do outdoor activities. Several of my friends and colleagues have Sorel boots, which are supposed to be insulated and designed for the cold.

• Jean December 5, 2014 at 2:24 am

Thank you! I haven't come across any cropped striped sweater/tees in-person recently except at H&M.; I don't see them online but they were in-store by the basics and Divided juniors section. For patterned coats, what size do you typically take and what weight (mild winter, fall, cold winter) are you looking to shop for?

• Jean December 5, 2014 at 2:52 am

Hi there – I try to mix old and new whenever possible and a lot of my outfit here was acquired over time…bought the necklace last summer, tote earlier this summer, and shoes are very old. I turn down the majority of c/o items offered but I think like most ppl in a similar position, do appreciate ones that cater to extended sizing needs or are designs that are true to my style.

• Cat December 5, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Hi Jean!

Really like your blog and your style! I live in Boston and am wondering if you can tell me which tailor you use? My mom bought me two lovely but oversized trench coats (she thinks I'm bigger than I really am 🙁 …) I hate to see the two trench coats sitting in my closet 🙂

• Anonymous December 5, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Hi Jean,

Wow thank you so much for these options! I'm really loving the green floral sheen and overture tulle sheath dress, I can't wait to drop by Anthropologie and try these on. On the downside they are a tad bit over my budget for a holiday dress but can probably justify the purchase if the dresses fit well. 🙂

Thank you and have a great holiday season!

Danielle

• Anonymous December 6, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Thanks so much, Jean, and best wishes to you too! Happy holidays to both of you 🙂

• Anonymous December 7, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Thanks Jean!! If you come across some good quality cropped striped top would you please share? I think many ladies will like it too as they are so versatile 🙂 For patterned coats, I'm looking for both light and winter. Fall is very short in where I live. And I'm 5'4" and 115lbs. I wear SP for Ann Taylor and am usually a size 2 in other clothing brands

• Karin Morataya December 7, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Hi Jean! HUGE fan here and I LOVE your style. I am traveling to NY & DC in early January and I was wondering if you could recommend any must haves for east coast weather, since I am a Cali girl I am not well equipped and need some shopping to do. I am also petite (5"1) and have a hard time finding winter clothes that are not overwhelming. Please Help! 🙂

• Angela from NYC December 8, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Hi Jean! I'm from NYC and it's freeeezing! I'm a new mom and was running late to work today – due to lack of sleep. So, I grabbed my trusty skinny black slacks – and at the door I realized I was going to have to wear my pointy flats or else I'd look frumpy wearing my pants + boots! I chose fashion over comfort and wore those flats into the cold morning.

During the winter months, what do you wear with work slacks while keeping your feet warm? I know sock-less looks good but I'm cold! Or do I have to stick with skirts/tights/boots the whole winter? And they have to be flats or a very sturdy heel – I have to endure a commute via subway / bus.

I would love to see your response or a post on extreme winter work outfit ideas.

– Angela

• Anonymous December 8, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Hi Jean,
    I was referring to readjusting the skirt waist size that you mentioned in your post

• Carrie Brown January 7, 2015 at 7:13 am

The perfect white outfit. Well done, girl