My Experience with Postpartum Depression

Ways to cope with postpartum depression

I’ve never been so nervous to share about something. Part of it is the stigma surrounding mental health. And also the fear of being judged. Or that some will see it as complaining about motherhood, after we were so fortunate to be able to have a baby. And truth be told, it’s still hard for me to acknowledge that I struggled with PPD.

Society and social media tell us that moms are strong. That we are superheroes capable of everything and anything. But the reality is, that’s not always the case and especially not right off the bat. It took me months to acknowledge this, but admitting that you’re having a hard time does NOT mean you don’t love your baby, that you’re not trying your best, or that you’re not grateful. And I hope that by sharing my experience, another mom who is struggling might feel less alone and less afraid to seek help.

PPD Feels different for everyone

It’s normal for many women to experience postpartum blues in the immediate weeks after giving birth, due to the crash in hormones compounded with sleep exhaustion. But if it extends beyond a few weeks or you have more severe symptoms, it could be postpartum depression. For me, the best way I can describe it is it felt like wading through a fog of guilt, uselessness, and anxiety. It was a fog that I had no idea I was in until I was out of it, but looking back with a clear mind, it seems obvious.

After touching upon this on IG stories, I learned that it affects so many of us yet is rarely discussed. It can materialize in different forms and intensities, not just the “I want to hurt myself or my baby” kind that most people think of. One of my good friends who appeared to transition seamlessly to motherhood recently told me (very briefly and dismissively) that she went on antidepressants after giving birth. Another rockstar mom friend unexpectedly shared that she was in therapy for PPD. It reminds me that you never really know what someone else might be going through.

Boston style blogger, Extra Petite opens up about her struggle and experience with Postpartum Depression. Check it out here!

My ExperiencePOSTPARTUM DEPRESSION

The Guilt of Not Bonding
I always heard moms talk about the immediate bond they felt with their new baby. I thought that because I grew her in my belly for 9 months, that I’d intuitively be able to comfort her. But this didn’t happen, and it tore me apart. Nori cried a LOT as a newborn due to bad reflux, gas, and related pains. I would hand our crying baby to Nick while sobbing that I couldn’t console or soothe her, or I’d sometimes go blank and emotionally shut down. I said things like my baby hates me, and I felt unfit as a mom. And then I’d feel terribly guilty for even feeling that way, leaving me in a cyclical rut.

Feelings of Not Enough

I constantly wondered if I was enough for my baby. Doing enough, being enough. We had doctor visits every day the first week home due to jaundice, and then shortly afterwards, Nori ended up in the ER and was hospitalized for a week with an umbilical cord infection. Even though the doctors told me that I did not do anything wrong, I of course felt like it was my fault.

Breastfeeding Ups & Downs
I’ve always been a subscriber to “fed is best,” but the first few times we supplemented with formula, I had to leave the room with tears streaming down my face. I’ve had more ups and downs since, but feel fortunate to still be breastfeeding her at 6 months. I can only imagine how more severe breastfeeding challenges or complications could contribute to a new mama’s anxiety.

Feeling Hopeless and Overwhelmed
One of the things I wasn’t prepared for was the around-the-clock care aspect. Nursing every 2 hours combined with endless laundry from blowouts, daily doctor visits, blood tests, and medication routine felt like a continuous cycle of care and crying during which days and nights blurred together.

When Nick’s 2 weeks of paternity leave was coming to an end, I broke down and told him I couldn’t do it. I know a lot of mamas don’t even have this option, so I’m extremely grateful he was able to take unpaid leave to take care of both of us. During this time we also started Nori on reflux medication which helped a bit with her around the clock discomfort. But it was still hard to imagine a time when it would get easier. I was so focused on trying to care for my baby, I overlooked taking care of myself.

6 Months Later

The heavy feelings and tears still feel incredibly fresh, and I often wonder whether they’d come back one day as quickly as they had faded around 3 months postpartum. Part of getting through it was just time, but I wanted to share some other things that helped or that I could’ve done more of early on.

A few things that may help WITH POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION

1. Setting up a support system before giving birth.
Talk to your partner, friends and family before giving birth and line up a support system to help take care of YOU (not just the baby) and recognize signs. It’s very hard to realize symptoms of PPD yourself while in the depths of it.

Nick would encourage me to talk about some of the things I was feeling and why I was crying, even though most times there was no explanation or even if I felt the reason was silly. When some of my mama friends checked in and really listened, it meant the world to me to just to be able to talk candidly.

2. Move up your 6-week checkup if needed, and be candid with your doctor.
Your baby goes for regular checkups within days after leaving the hospital, yet most women in the US don’t have a checkup with their OB until 6 weeks after giving birth. This opens the door for physical complications from birth to go untreated, and for PPD symptoms to go unidentified and untreated, since caring for yourself can really fall to the back burner during those early weeks.

When I finally made it to my 6-week checkup, I tried to be chirpy and downplayed pretty much everything I was feeling. My doctor implored me to get help at home after hearing that it was just going to be me without family living nearby. She also talked about late onset PPD and how she sees it increasingly more around the 6-month postpartum mark.

3. Try to leave the house once a day (after taking sufficient time to heal from giving birth)
This helped me a lot not just because of the fresh air, but just to have one attainable “goal” and routine each day for you and your baby. This is unfortunately harder in the winter, but I feel like when it’s cold and dark it’s all the more important just to get out of your house once a day.

4. Actually accept help and ask for it if needed
Friends, family, and hired help. If you can afford to hire help for house cleaning, ordering food instead of cooking (or prepare frozen meals well in advance), nannies or night nurses, get the help that you need and don’t let it make you feel like less of a wife or mom.

Also, this was hard for me to do, but say YES when someone offers to help. And don’t be afraid to ask for it and to be specific if someone can offload some small tasks or errands for you.

5. Know when to get off social media
I think I can speak for many of us that it’s easy to fall into the comparison trap, and come across something on social media that makes you feel “less than.” I saw fellow women making motherhood seem effortless. I saw posts about their babies being angels, and how being a mom felt so natural and brought more joy than they ever could’ve imagined. I saw these posts and struggled to relate, and knew I had to stop scrolling and comparing myself.

6. Join a new mom group
Whether it’s online or in your city, I found that talking to other moms in a similar situation was one of the most helpful things I could do. That being said…

7. Addressing Mom-shaming
I wanted to touch on this because it’s gotten so prevalent in today’s world. After having a baby, it was as if the floodgates were open for unsolicited criticism, and the most disheartening thing is it’s mostly from fellow moms. People often forget that social media is a snapshot of a moment in someone’s life. Those early weeks, I lost count of the unkind messages about going through IVF just to have a “photo prop” or “clickbait,” for getting dolled up for staged Instagram photos instead of bonding with my baby at home, for causing her to be sick in the hospital due to neglect, for being inconsiderate of other new moms by wearing regular clothes too soon…the list goes on. There were also dozens of people who continuously created new accounts to harass me (and still do!) about my baby or call her ugly, including some downright racist comments.

I thought I’d developed thick skin from blogging for so long, but during the postpartum fog, this brought me down to a new low. I remember those negative messages echoing word for word in my head, wondering how people knew to kick you when you’re most vulnerable. I ended up posting infrequently and set a timer on Instagram, and I stopped checking direct messages at that time since those often got the most nasty.

Mom shaming doesn’t occur only on social media though – friends to family to strangers will also be quick with opinions and judgements. It’s important to trust yourself and remember that you’re doing your best. And it always helps to surround yourself with positive souls, and take time away from those who tend to bring you down.

To fellow moms who may be struggling right now, I’m sending you hugs, and a reminder that this too shall pass.

Did you experience postpartum depression or anxiety? What are some things that helped you cope?

233 thoughts on “My Experience with Postpartum Depression

• Reply Fellow mom March 18, 2019 at 11:23 pm

Your baby is adorable. Those people are just haters.

• Reply Fiz March 18, 2019 at 11:27 pm

My baby just turn 2 months. Im not sure if i really had PPD but wat i can share is that things got overwhelmed and heart pain for me. Im currently staying with my mother in law. Well she is a big help when comes to cooking and she did trained me well during the first 2 weeks. Baby cried almost every night during that period and i really felt helpless and useless becos it makes me feel that im not a good mom becos baby doesn’t want me. But it always works well when comes to MIL. I felt sad and angry becos theres a period that everytime when the baby cries, MIL will always get the baby from me without any permission. I did shared this with hubby, but hubby wasn’t on my side. He said that im just being sensitive and MIL was just trying to help. In the house, everyone seems to be soo obsessed with the baby but nobody cares about me. There are always times when im even worried if MIL oftenly picks baby up from me, the child won’t even recognize her own mommy. The support system that i need in the house was really bad. The only way of me coping with the unhappiness is by messaging my mom who lives miles away from me and a couple of close friends. In this house, nobody seems to care about PPD or PPA. To them its just how i managing myself. MIL even compares that she was perfectly FINE throughout her child birth to her 3 sons. She also compares me with my other in-law that all things are well for her. MIL even wants to control how i dress up the baby and she even complains how i stores the baby essential items. I feel the only issue here is becos im living with MIL. I agree that she will be the caregiver of my child once i started working but i do hope that she give me the chance of taking care of my baby during this period. You will have all the time with my baby once i start work. Now that my baby is 2 months, i try to accept the way my MIL do things. I am better everytime she wants to play with the baby, but she still don’t ask permission from me (i dont need a formal permission but all i need is for you to ask). Now, since that she is soo into my child, at times i want to have the freedom to just go out and have some fresh air. But again, she will nag and unhappy when i come back home late. Seriously i can’t tolerate with her attitude. I just hope she realize my unhappiness and know wat to do.

• Reply Carly March 19, 2019 at 12:11 am

Thank you for sharing your experience with PPD and being honest about the many stages, doubts and struggles you went through. I am sorry you experienced such hurtful and awful comments from mom-shamers. It is a sad state of our society that we tend to tear other women down, especially with the easy cloak of anonymity that social media affords us. It’s not right. Please know that there are those that want to lift you up, and see you succeed, and know that despite all the struggles, you’re a fantastic and amazing mom. Your daughter is very lucky and blessed to have you as her mommy.

Just remember the road you’re on with your daughter is very long. It’s not just the infant stage, but hopefully all the many stages of being a toddler, to a kid, to a teenager and eventually young adult. There are many opportunities on that road to bond and share and connect with her. Just like they say don’t judge by the first few pages of a book, I say, don’t judge yourself by the first chapter in your life story as a family and as a mom. The rest of the story, I can already tell, is going to be amazing.

• Reply Diana March 19, 2019 at 11:04 am

Hi there! I have been following your blog for about a year and just want to tell you that you and your family are absolutely beautiful ! I have always been inspired by your style and natural beauty. As for all the people who dared to tell you negative and hateful things about you and your baby it’s truly shameful and unbelievable that they would do that. The only way to explain it is they have hate and jealousy in their hearts. So it’s nothing about you. Don’t listen to those hateful people and their comments.
        I would like to also encourage you with your precious baby girl. Motherhood is very hard! I have four boys ages 8,6,4 and 1. My first son also had to be hospitalized multiples times and once for a week right after birth for jaundice, and cried uncontrollably due to tummy pain every night for several hours. I didn’t have any help from family but I’m so thankful my husband was extremely helpful. When my MIL would visit she ask why is he crying and I felt so terrible because I didnt know how to calm him down or what to do. My MIL would also say comments out of innocent obliviousness the other daughter in law son sleeps perfectly without rocking and eats on schedule. Only she the other daughter in law can do something like that which made me feel even worse as a mother. I totally understand how you feel and I too would feel overwhelmed exhausted and not sure if I was doing everything right or what to do. I also didn’t have that immediate connection with my first baby when he was born. And I was too scared to talk about it with anyone. With my second and third son it was a little better. Although of course I had other pregnancy and infant struggles but they were much better than my first baby. With my fourth son it was soooo hard that I can’t even describe it in words. I thought I would lose my mind. He cried uncontrollably every night 5-10 pm. It was exhausting mentally physically and emotionally. I don’t have anyone to help except my husband so it was very hard on both of us. There were times I just had to put him down in the crib and go to another room or hand him to my husband because I couldn’t handle it anymore. He also would wake up every 30-60 minutes at night. I tried every sleep training method on earth but nothing worked. Finally after he turned 1 yr of age he grew out of his crying at night and waking up often . Now he’s 18 months and it’s so much easier. He sleeps and eats better. I just want to encourage you and lift you up because I know how hard motherhood is . Also don’t listen to any hateful comments or people. You are were so beautiful and graceful during pregnancy and then after pregnancy. People who say hateful or negative things have jealousy in their hearts. Whatever is in someone’s hearts pours out. And even if they don’t know you personally they dare to judge you and be hateful. Don’t listen to hateful comments. You and your family are beautiful. God bless you .

• Reply Anonymous March 20, 2019 at 1:45 pm

Jean, I’ve loved to open your posts for the past two years; you make buying and wearing petite clothing so much easier and fun for me! Your photos are gorgeous, your style is creative and approachable, and the amount of homework that you’ve done to make these fashions available to us, is amazing. Thank you. As for all of those feelings that you’re experiencing from other moms, I feel sometimes it comes from their talking through their own insecurities; we all have them , because the responsibility for this precious child bears so heavily. It’s terrifying, and overwhelming , and most of us are Not prepared, despite the multitude of bedside- table baby books we’ve read! Im blesed with three boys, ages 12, 16, and 18. My eldest was in the icu for a week while I frantically tried to nurse him, or give him a pumped bottle , traveling back and forth. He had colic and diaper rash for for over 9 months and only a few years ago did he get diagnosed with gluten, dairy, shellfish , and egg intolerance. My husband was wonderful also, but one night as he was walking him outside in the stroller, we got a call that we thought was from CPS- Child Protective Services. It was a new low! Looking back, it makes me think that God made us strong, like a sapling . We can bend, and adapt to the fresh challenges of each and every little person we’re gifted. How we love each child in our family is going to be unique to you- just getting through some days out of duty is an act love! The strength and wisdom that makes you what we call a Mother is hard-earned, and I think that’s what allows our children to feel that our love is unconditional.

• Reply Bam March 19, 2019 at 1:47 am

I’m really sorry that you’re going through this. As much as she’s of big help towards your baby, you must also set boundaries and she must know where and when to cross over. It’s a shame that you have spoken to your husband and that was his response. You need to talk to your MIL. You need to adress your feelings, in a calm and respectful way… without any intention of hurting her feelings, of course she’s going to be hurt but if you don’t communicate your feelings, there won’t be any change . Everything that you wrote, is EXACTLY what you need to tell her. I personally hates comparisons with other people. Tell your mom in law that you are sure your other in laws are great moms just like you , you just happen to be different people and doing things/parenting differently. Thank her and tell her that you appreciate it that she’s there, but also tell her that you need this time to get to know YOUR baby and to bond. Listen, it’s your baby and you’re the mother. Everyone else, including the MIL can give tips, tricks, advice and whatever but in the end it’s yours and your husband’s decision to do what you feel is right for your child. If she’s still adamant , ask her how would she feel , if it was the other way around?

I hope you work it out. Sending you peace.

• Reply Leslie Espino March 19, 2019 at 9:58 am

Jean,

I’m not a mom, but as someone who may not want children it is very good to be honest about motherhood. It’s not for everyone – my fear is that I’ll resent my child for taking away a lifetime of opportunity from me. People like to be excessively positive and claim that the love you feel will totally overshadow that…they make it seem like parenting is ALWAYS easy and effortlessly natural. It’s not. That’s not a bad thing.

Thank you for being honest about it. That honesty makes you a great mother – not a bad one. You know your family.

Leslie

• Reply Nikki March 18, 2019 at 11:28 pm

Jean, I wish I had some words of wisdom. I had PPD with my second child. I didn’t even realize it until my doctor told me. Between all the sleepless nights and emotions, I thought I was just tired. I was breastfeeding and didn’t want to take medication, whether that was wrong, I don’t know. Mine was triggered by guilt and anxiety over the wellbeing of my kids. All I know is this, opening up and realizing what I had, being open to the wisdom of others and constantly reminding myself that I was enough, I was a good mom, and to not get triggered by a mere sniffle, helped me cope. I think I saw a counselor at the time too. It’s all a big blur. Do whatever it takes to make you feel better, go out for a bit with other moms, see a therapist, and get rest.

• Reply Beth C March 18, 2019 at 11:37 pm

I just can’t with the mom shamers! I think many of them don’t even realize what they’re doing.
    I’ve been following you for literally a decade (imagine my excitement when I started my first job and found we were the exact same size!), so my heart breaks for you. Something I didn’t see mentioned in the comments yet is placenta encapsulation. I was SUPER skeptical, but having PMDD for all of my adult life put me at a huge risk for PPD and other things, so I was game for anything. The capsules turned out to be little miracle pills for me! Any time I feel the beginnings of emotional “off-ness” I start taking them, and I always go back to feeling normal within a day or two. My son is almost 2 years old now, and I haven’t been this free of symptoms since I was a teenager.
    Thank you for sharing! Lots of love <3

• Reply Nadine C March 19, 2019 at 8:02 am

Hi Beth, do you mind sharing where you had placenta encapsulation done? Thank you!

• Reply Beth C March 23, 2019 at 12:22 am

I’m in Hawaii and used Shine Birth Services. I think most people who do it are also doulas or midwives, so maybe you could find someone that way?

• Reply Caroline March 18, 2019 at 11:51 pm

This is so brave of you to share and so thoughtful that you put the time in to offer tips to other moms. Hopefully everyone can start supporting each other more and judging each other less.

• Reply Jennifer March 18, 2019 at 11:52 pm

I didn’t realize I had PPD but my husband did. What ended up helping me was 30 minutes of aerobic activity…in the form of a dvd of sweating to the oldies with Richard Simmons. No lie. The endorphins from exercising made a incredible difference in my ability to deal. Of course, everyone’s physical abilility a couple months after delivery is different …but I highly recommend getting a little sweat on, even if you are exhausted.

• Reply Jo March 18, 2019 at 11:55 pm

First of, big hugs and kudos to you for posting this.

I suffered from PPD after my second baby. But it wasn’t until he was 6 months old that it was confirmed by my OB. I was coasting the first 6 months. Trying to balance my time between my 3 y/o and the baby. To me, I was supposed to feel that way because I was beyond exhausted. Everyone wanted my attention that my movements became robotic. At my son’s 6th month appt, my son was teething and was suffering from reflux, his Pedaetrician asked me if I was ready to feed him solids and I broke down. I told him I can’t handle more. I just want to sleep & he immediately told me I didn’t need to do it all. Once I calmed down, he told me to see my OB as he felt I may be suffering from PPD.

My son just turned one last week and I am still struggling. There are days that I beat myself up for not being able to do it all. And some days that I just give up and say, to hell with our schedule! Whatever makes everyone happy today, that’s what we’re doing!

Only advice I have is… Surround yourself with other moms- they may not be going through exactly what you are currently going through at that particular moment, but being able I just get it all out of your system really helps. And trust me, newer moms than you will be thankful you told them about your teething/reflux/colic/sleep regression/growth spurt woes. LOL

A friend of mine once said to me, ‘you may not feel like you’re doing your best but to your children you are the best mom’

• Reply Nisa March 18, 2019 at 11:56 pm

Sending hug Jean! ❤

• Reply Julia March 20, 2019 at 4:02 pm

Hi Jean, I’ve followed you for a few years for your petite fashion tips as I am about the same height. I am not a parent and probably won’t be, but just wanted to thank you for sharing. Mental health problems shouldn’t be stigmatised and the more people like you that open up the more people will share their problems and the easier life will be for so many people! I’m not a ‘baby person’ but Nori is adorable so please try not to take those horrible comments to heart. Wishing you happiness.

• Reply Chrissy March 18, 2019 at 11:59 pm

Not a mother here. But an avid fan of your blog.
    You’ve honestly been a positive inspiration. Happy to hear that you’ve been feeling and doing better.
    Nori will grow up to be a strong lady, just like her mama 🙂

• Reply Niki Wang March 19, 2019 at 12:10 am

You are so brave to post something like this! I am a mom of a 2-year-old and frankly I did not go through PPD in the first year. However I think I do now. After two years I am still not able to get enough sleep and stuck at home because my kid gets sick frequently after joining daycare. Anyway I want to give you a big hug and tell you that you are a wonderful woman!

• Reply Aubrey March 19, 2019 at 12:10 am

I was super depressed and isolated when I gave birth to my baby girl. I have no family around (they all live out of state) and no real close friends so it was tough. I cried EVERY day and thought I had issues because of it. I felt helpless, useless and very much alone. She cried a lot when she was a baby and it took a toll on me especially with the lack of sleep. I also had issues with breastfeeding (I just didn’t produce enough) which contributed to her crying a lot bc I had refused to give in to formula thinking I would be a complete failure if I did. I tried joining mommy groups but it just didn’t click for me. It finally got better and I felt more like myself once I returned to work. Looking back now I wished I had reached out to the few friends I did/do have but at the time I felt like it was a burden. My baby girl is now 19 months and is super independent , smart, funny and strong. I am due to give birth in 4 weeks to my second baby and while I am scared I would fall into the same depression I am hopeful it won’t be as bad. This time around I know the signs and am more open to reaching out to people. Thank you for sharing your experience. I find that it is more common than most people expect. I am honest about my experience with my girlfriends when they ask so they know it’s ok if they also go through the same experience.

• Reply Stephanie Snyder March 19, 2019 at 12:18 am

I suffered from extreme PPD after my second son was born. The lack of sleep, missing time with my first born, having to go back to work too soon, not enough help, not binding as well with baby and countless other things combined to make the perfect storm so to speak. I looked into antidepressants, but hate taking medication. I reached my breaking point around 6 mos postpartum and finally broke down and asked for help. It is such a dark cloud. Motherhood is hard and is definitely not all sunshine and rainbows. I can’t believe how awful people can be and it is so horrible you had to deal with PPD and haters. I will say I adore you and your family. Please keep as positive as you can. Haters gonna hate and all that.

• Reply Valeri Pighini March 19, 2019 at 12:32 am

Oh sweetheart. I remember PPD quite well, and of course, this too shall pass. And you’re handling it well, what with the personal communication and pictures you share with us. I really don’t understand it when people are cruel but I think you’re wonderful and I love seeing pictures of you and little Nori so much. Just every picture is precious to me. Sending you love and encouragement – keep sharing my dear – you’re doing this for so many people who cannot. And I for one am very proud of you. Love, Val

• Reply Pearl March 19, 2019 at 12:36 am

Jean, I’ve been your quiet follower for the last few years. Ever since I saw your baby, I immediately told my husband how cute and sweet she is! She is one of the most adorable babies I’ve seen. You are so strong in taking care of Nori and coping with PPD. Wish you are feeling better these days!

• Reply Jennifer M March 19, 2019 at 12:42 am

Thank you so much for sharing this very personal topic with such sensitivity in order to aid other mothers.. and mothers to be. It is an issue that needs more public discussion and a brilliant and courageous person (as well as aspirational role model) like you to give other women the courage to address their own feelings. Symptoms are indeed difficult to separate from “normal exhausted new mom” symptoms.

Mom-shaming is terrible and hurtful… even if you know that you are only the target… and not the source of the shaming behavior.

I experienced PPD as well – feelings of isolation, worthlessness, exhaustion, not being enough of a good mom, and not enough support from my partner. Fascinating how one can be with company 24/7 of your beautiful baby, yet still feel lonely… and writing your PhD dissertation. We had latch & various milk supply issues (low supply, to oversupply) as part of our challenges- not being able to feed or comfort your baby felt so hard. Joining La Leche group and talking to other breastfeeding moms helped with this aspect. Talk therapy helped a lot – as well as a popular education/community-based parenting group, which acted more like a fun social peer-playdate group. Getting a full-night’s rest at least once every 2 weeks and letting the husband bottle feed on night shift instead of breastfeeding made a big difference as well. Agree with your suggestion about making a plan for support network while you’re still pregnant- this was so key! Getting out for walks daily works wonders. An occasional post-partum massage works wonders – if you can manage a childcare option.

Just one more pat-on-the back among the many supportive comments here that say, you’re doing great and an inspiration to us other moms who are trying to “keep it together.” Your wardrobe inspirations help us feel beautiful inside and out – starting with dressing on the outside for the women we are inside… and the women we want to be. Both your beautiful photos of inspiration, as well as the beautiful mom-in-reality photos are two-sides of the same coin. On those “blah days”, as a new mother, you feel far from your old self; making a little time to look more like yourself is so helpful. I appreciate your “nursing friendly suggestions” while still a breastfeeding with 2yo toddler and working from home (I am eagerly looking forward to the bittersweet event of weaning soon).

THANKS for being honest, graceful, and thoughtful in your words and an inspiration. PS- Nori is absolutely adorable. a big hug from me.

• Reply De March 19, 2019 at 12:47 am

I’m 37 and have no plans for children in part out of fear it really isnt all that it’s made out to be. I imagine it’s very, very hard. Im admittedly a coward. I commend you for being real and brave, for sharing the real side of it and not pretending it isnt hard. Your sharing can help other mothers. You and your daughter are beautiful. The people who say hateful things are most likely miserable human beings who dont deserve your time or thoughts. Stay strong!

• Reply KT March 19, 2019 at 1:27 am

Thank you for sharing your experience and being so candid and open about it. I am currently pregnant with my third and suffered pretty badly with PPD when we had our first. My daughter was a collic baby and we knew very early on that she was. She would not stop crying and it was the absolute worse in the evenings. Breastfeeding as a new mom was so difficult because you have no idea what you are doing or to expect. I would breakdown in tears while breastfeeding as she would neglect the breast while I struggle so hard to continue on. Society makes you feel so guilty if you fail to breastfeed your baby. She also sufferered from jaundice and was in and out of the Dr office and had lab work done everyday for the first week of her life. Coming from an Asian background, my mom and MIL just never had the right words to say to make you feel as though it’s okay and that you are doing your best. There was this expectation that my daughter is suffering and I am causing it; whether it be something that I ate that caused her gassiness or what I could be doing better. What really helped me get through it was my amazing husband who saw the signs and forced me to talk about my feelings, get out of the house, and open up to other friends/family. Having a strong support group and being able to open up honestly helped me get through it. You are doing an amazing job, Jean! We may not always do things perfectly, but the most important thing that really matters at the end of the day is your baby is feed, happy and loved! Just remember the days are long but the years go by so quickly. Enjoy the good and bad moments with your little one!

• Reply Petite Teacher March 19, 2019 at 3:47 am

I think you are very brave sharing these personal experiences. It is hard to do so in real life, let alone online when you have no idea who is going to read (and judge) it. Anxiety in many forms is often hidden from the outside world. Sometimes it helps protecting you, sometimes it avoids getting help. I think each of us should make a choice what to share and what not. Your tips (getting out of the house, taking about your problems with close friends or people in the same situations) are very helpful. Work (in our case blogging) is also a big help, since it will take your mind off your anxiety. Love, Lieske

• Reply Anna March 19, 2019 at 3:54 am

I had PPD with my first child. Many of the feelings you describe I can totally relate to them, thank you for sharing them. My second baby just turned 6 months a couple days ago, and oh man, it has been such a different (better) journey! Now is when I can clearly see the PPD I had with my first. Two should be harder than one, but it actually is easier this time around. If you and Nick decide to go through the journey of having a sibling for Nori, just know it won’t necessarily be as hard as the first time!

• Reply Basia March 19, 2019 at 4:06 am

I’m 11 week pregnant and I already fear postpartum depression as I sometimes get this ridiculous pregnancy depression.
    And last week I almost write to you to ask you for writing about this!
    My friends are going through IVF right now and your post was so helpful! I know how to support them and that’s the best one can do for their friends.

I read about postpartum depression a lot because I somehow hope that I can prepare myself for that.

Thank you! Just remember you’re strong no matter how you feel about yourself and no matter what stupid people say.

• Reply Cat March 19, 2019 at 4:11 am

Thanks for sharing this, Jean. It took a lot of courage and heart, and I’m sure you’re helping so many moms out there who may be wondering what’s wrong with them. I had PPD after having my baby, 7 years ago. I was in a constant state of fog and hopelessness, and I didn’t have the support I needed (and, to be honest, I was to ashamed to ask for it). Realizing I had an illness took far, far too long — my son was 3 by the time I felt more like myself, and I wouldn’t wish that prolonged feeling of meaninglessness on anyone. My baby was definitely a “high-need” baby, and I think part of my PPD was not being able to admit to myself that my actual baby was nothing like the cooing, sleepy, easy baby I had envisioned.

I do feel like our culture glorifies the baby “bump” and focuses on the labor/delivery process (“natural” births, perfect birth plans, etc.). All of this can be such a disservice to women. After birth, new moms realize pregnancy is just the very tip of the iceberg — the reality of sleep deprivation and being “on” 24/7 with a squalling newborn can be such a shock and we feel so underprepared. That’s how I felt, at least! But 7 years later I feel so lucky to have my “high-need” kiddo (though sleep is still an issue. Gah!).

• Reply Revanche @ A Gai Shan Life March 19, 2019 at 4:15 am

I went on anti-depressants a few weeks after JB was born. I knew I loved zir but I couldn’t actually feel the feelings, it was like my positive feelings were locked up and I only had tiredness left. Obviously not sleeping much contributed to that, as did my fibromyalgia, but I needed the medications to help me be me again after giving birth.

I hate that people are so willing to attack you during such a delicate and difficult time but it seems to be something they feel so free to do to moms particularly and moms in the public eye even more so. I’ll never understand it.

I’m glad you got some of the support that you needed, and I hope you will continue walking out of that darkness, and that the heaviness will leave you in peace.

• Reply Lershan March 19, 2019 at 4:28 am

Hi Jean, I just wanted to thank you for sharing so much of your life with us. I’ve lurked around your blog for ages and was just really shy about making my presence known. I love your posts about dressing for work, getting married and then having Nori. I’m a few months behind you in terms of life milestones so far, and I’ve found so many useful tips from your blog about navigating each new stage. I’m a new mommy too and my little one is a month behind Nori, I look forward to all of your posts because it gives me so much encouragement and it’s just nice to know that we all have similar ups and downs.
    I found it difficult to transition into my new identity as a mother. I’m grateful I have a healthy, happy baby, but I was completely unprepared for what parenting would be like and how much life would change. I don’t cry much but I do feel this nagging sad feeling . I did many of the things that you mention in “A few things that may help” and am starting to feel better.
    It’s crazy how some people find so much gratification in making others feel bad. I hope I can offer you some encouragement too – continue to pay them no heed, it’s not worth the bad mojo and it just makes these people feel more gratified. You’re so full of grace and I love that!

• Reply Jamie March 19, 2019 at 5:31 am

I had PPD with my first. Like you, I didn’t realize what was wrong while I was in the middle of it all. I did not have feelings of hurting myself or my baby, but feelings of not being good enough. My all natural birth turned into an emergency c-section. I struggled to nurse and had to supplement with formula. I also vividly remember running into the bathroom to cry while my husband gave her formula. I felt like less of a woman because I couldn’t birth my baby and like a terrible mom because I couldn’t feed my baby. All the tips you listed also helped me. I am blessed to have my mom so close. She came everyday for an hour to give me a little break. When I became pregnant with my second child I started having panic attacks thinking about my dramatic birth and PPD. How could I go through all that again with a toddler? I hired a doula and she helped me work through a lot of things. The extra support during labor was wonderful too. My VBAC did not go as planned and I needed another c-section. Thankfully, besides the normally ‘Mommy Blues’ I have been okay this time around. My advice is to put off visitors. I found that aspect very overwhelming the first time around but I felt bad saying no. With my second, I used my c-section as an excuse saying I wasn’t up for visitors. That quiet time alone as a family those early days really helped me.

• Reply Carien March 19, 2019 at 7:50 am

You are such a rockstar!
    Thank you for sharing such a personal issue. It was a beautiful message!
    Lots of love, xxx

• Reply Jennifer March 19, 2019 at 8:40 am

My daughter was 6 months old when I realized something wasn’t right. And what I was experiencing wasn’t baby blues anymore. I was breaking down, I no longer was able to sleep and constantly in a negative mindset, I always wondered when will I feel better again ? and I had extreme mom guilt. My mom moved in to watch me, I saw 3 therapists and was put on sleeping medication. I just wanted to be the super star mom for my daughter. Nurse her, comfort her but omg I was hard on myself and I didn’t take care of myself. I slowly was able to sleep with medication and after many month she I was able to sleep again. I had a son since then and twins on the way. I’m pretty scared that the hormones and sleep deprivation will put me back in the dark place but I’m preparing. Drs, therapists, friends and family know about my depression and are supportive. We are also looking at hiring night nannies for a few months. Take care momma.

• Reply Lauren S March 19, 2019 at 9:03 am

You are so awesome to share your thoughts and feelings! I too experienced PPA and the breast feeding was such a challenge that I think that’s what caused it. I ended up nursing my daughter for 10 months, and felt really proud when I was done. I’m glad you joined a new moms group. This helped me tremendously as well in a Chicago. People who don’t live in big cities aren’t as lucky to have that kind of option for support, which is unfortunate. Keep going mama! You’re doing great!

• Reply Jenna Carberg March 19, 2019 at 11:06 am

This really is so brave for you to share. I went through 8 months of severe PPD. The hardest thing I’ve ever gone through.

I’m not a blogger but I did post about my experience. It was really hard for me to write too just because I didn’t want to even think about it again.

Here’s a link to what I experienced:
    During: https://www.postpartumdepression.org/blog/life-postpartum-depression/
    After: https://www.postpartumdepression.org/blog/freedom-from-postpartum-depression/

• Reply Deezee March 19, 2019 at 11:29 am

Your pregnancy posts have been a guiding light for me, and many others. That light and strength will shine through Nori, as she grows up with such a strong mom she will learn to live true to herself, unapologetically

• Reply Linda March 19, 2019 at 12:05 pm

Reading this wasn’t too surprising , I relate in every sense and I’m glad you’re getting through it. I guess everyone thinks it won’t happen to them, until it does. I had stitches after my first born and with no postpartum help, I had to do everything! Stitches got infected, I ended up in the hospital and the depression set in hard. I felt guilty and terrible and just all around sad. No one really talks about that so I’m glad you shared. The one thing that has me so angry is that people are bullying little Nori!!! How can anyone call her ugly? She’s a gorgeous little combo of you and your husband. I literally check your blog just to catch a glimpse of her adorable face.

• Reply Vanessa March 19, 2019 at 12:46 pm

Thank you for sharing your story . I suffered PPD with both pregnancies and felt so alone and ashamed because this is something we don’t really talk about . It’s great that there is more awareness now about this and women don’t need to suffer in silence.

• Reply Nina Berglund March 19, 2019 at 2:56 pm

Oh my goodness. I cannot believe the awful things that people said to you. That’s effing terrible. I am so so sorry to hear that. Motherhood is tough shit. I seriously think I haven’t caught up on sleep since giving birth the first time 8 years ago. Sometimes I even wonder if I still have PPD. I definitely had a hard time bonding with my first child. I mean she literally destroyed my lady parts, it was kinda hard not to be resentful. But, as you know, being a mother is also one of the best things in life. In fact, I often refer to it as the best and worst thing I have ever done. I am so glad you are feeling better! Enjoy your little family.

• Reply Anonymous March 19, 2019 at 4:21 pm

Dear Jean,

Thank you for posting this. My son is one month younger than Nori and I have really enjoyed following your journey with Nori. Like you, I also had PPD which I did not realize until it had significantly improved. I didn’t know if it was normal to feel as sad as I did, cry out of nowhere and I just chalked it up to being exhausted. It did not help that my son had colic. Although now things are almost back to normal, there are still times when I’m alone with my baby that I get scared I am not enough and can’t take care of him without my husband’s help. I think being alone with him for long periods of time (like when my husband travels) is when my mind goes back to that dark period when I felt so alone. It is so nice reading your journey and also seeing other post about their experiences as well. All I can say is- forget the haters. We got this mama! As one of friends once told me: “Don’t ever let anyone make you feel like you are not good enough for your baby. You grew that baby from 2 cells into the beautiful being he/she is today! Can they say that about themselves? I don’t think so!” Sending you much love.

• Reply Jess March 19, 2019 at 6:35 pm

Thank you for being so open about your experiences with infertility, pregnancy and motherhood. We also had trouble conceiving, and I became pregnant a couple of months after you. I have really really looked up to you and enjoyed reading your blog. I was so grateful to be able to read the thoughts and see the style choices of another petite pregnant lady/mama! I’m sorry that you’ve had to read such awful criticism. I don’t understand why people don’t seem to think that their words hurt if they’re typed instead of said in person. As is clear from the comments on your posts, the conversations you’ve opened about infertility and PPD have been helpful to your readership. Keep your chin up – you’re doing a great job!

• Reply Carla Day March 19, 2019 at 7:27 pm

Yes – to all of this! So proud of you for sharing and posting this. Every time a mama shares her story, it helps other mamas.

Generally speaking, our culture and society in the USA does not support parenting. One is expected to work like they don’t have a home life and raise their children like they don’t work.

I do believe that #millenials will change this.

• Reply Em March 19, 2019 at 7:46 pm

Jean,
    Thank you, as always, for being brave enough to talk about what everyone is going through but is too scared to talk about. Voices like yours are so rare, but make such a difference. All of your posts about pregnancy and motherhood have been so helpful for showing us that we are not alone.

You may not see this post, because so many other people already commented. But I just wanted to tell you about our experience with the acid reflux medication for our son. We realized that doctors prescribe it, but they don’t tell you how your kid can stop taking it! My son was prescribed a PPI, and the doctors said he would be fine when the stomach valve was fully formed. But every time we tried to stop the medication after that, he would cry and have really bad reflux. We were worried he would be on it too long, because PPIs can have long term side effects. Apparently the reason we were having trouble is because the medication can cause extra acid to be made in the stomach, and if you stop taking it all at once, it’s really awful and painful. It turns out that the way to stop it is to reduce the dosage gradually over time. We slowly weaned our son off the medication, and he was fine afterwards. So, just in case your doctors are like ours were, and didn’t bother to tell you how to stop the medication, that’s how we were able to stop taking it.

Much love to your lovely family!

• Reply Kristine March 19, 2019 at 8:23 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your struggles with PPD. I had my baby just weeks after you did, and I, too, suffered from PPD. But like many moms, I denied that I was depressed. Yet I cried everyday over how my baby hated me. I felt unfit to be a mom. I kept my feelings inside until one day, weeks later, I finally told someone I had been crying. Acknowledging what I was going through helped me cope. What made the biggest difference was going to a mommy and me class, where I got to speak with other moms going through the same thing. And slowly my confidence as a mother grew and PPD began to slowly fade away.

Reading your story brought tears to my eyes. It was as if I was reliving those lonely, dark days feeling trapped in the fog of PPD. I wanted to reach out and tell your former self (and my former self) that everything would be okay.

Long story short, I hope your story helps another mom who may be struggling with PPD. We need to be there for each other.

• Reply Babybear March 19, 2019 at 9:58 pm

Just wanted to say that, you are doing a great job new mummy! My boy is almost 3 now, but goodness, I went through perhaps PPD as well. Baby refusing to latch, low milk supply, crying day and night for a good one month, I had to kangaroo sleep with him the first 2 months of his life, and once I really thought of jumping out from the window with him! I didn’t speak to anyone about it as I was too tired from everything. But thankfully somehow it went away without me realizing it. But I swear the baby blues subsided a lot once I supplemented with formula milk.

Hang on there and it will get better definitely!

xoxo

• Reply Bela Anzu March 19, 2019 at 11:23 pm

Jean, I’m sorry to hear you’ve had such a difficult three months. I wouldn’t have guessed it because from your photos, it looked like everything was going smoothly. You’ve done an admirable job in caring for Nori without the help and guidance of family nearby, fended off mean and critical comments on social media, while still finding time to blog and help other moms (and potentially their partners)!

Looking back to when I first became a Mom, the steep learning curve and the around-the-clock 3 hourly feeds were the most challenging because I was suddenly continually sleep deprived, which was unlike cramming for exams. I was trying my best to meet all the demands of motherhood and it was one of the most difficult years I’ve experienced. I don’t think I had post-partum depression or anxiety, but the changing hormones made me emotional and cry easily. The first year was the most challenging for us, but it has gotten easier with time. So there is hope!

In regards to your helpful ideas, I agree that taking walks outside and setting up a support system is vital. Being out in nature helped me feel better and put things into perspective. One thing which I’m grateful for and helped me transition into motherhood, was that before I left the hospital in Canada, one of the nurses asked if I would like a health care professional to call me after I was discharged. I accepted it and a nurse called me a few weeks afterward to book a home visit to see how I was doing. She came regularly (every two weeks?) and introduced me to a home visitor who was a mom with grown up children. They would teach me helpful and practical tips like reasons as to why my babies were crying and what I could do, why it was important that I train them to sleep in the crib instead of allowing them to fall asleep in my arms, how to determine when to start solid foods, etc. The home visitor would come weekly and spend an hour with the twins and me. She’d teach me how to incorporate song and exercises for the babies, which was good because I wouldn’t have done it otherwise. The thought of taking the twins to a Moms’ group at a community centre by myself was overwhelming. They were with me for the first nine months until I got the hang of things and made a world of difference.

I hope things continue to get better for you and your beautiful family. Nori is beautiful and she’s fortunate to have such dedicated and loving parents.

• Reply Elle March 20, 2019 at 1:27 am

Jean,

You are so amazing and are such an amazing mom!! I have followed you for years and have always liked your style, blog, and personality. I respect you even more now that you are doing all that you do, as a mom of such a beautiful and adorable baby! Nori looks so pudgy and happy, it’s obvious that she is loved and that you are a great mom! Nori is seriously one of the cutest, prettiest babies I have ever seen.

It’s upsetting to hear that there are so many haters out there who has nothing better to do with their lives than try to spread their toxic energy. I hope that for every negative comment, you’ve been getting 1000 positive ones in return. Please don’t ever let the negativity stop you. You are changing lives!

I just had my second baby, but I’ve learned so much from you, a first time mom. Keep up the awesome work!!

• Reply Rose March 20, 2019 at 6:45 am

Just wanted to say I too have experienced this. Jean, you aren’t alone in this hard phase . My son is 3 now but as a newborn he was very fussy and had to be placed on reflux medication. I breastfed but didn’t have a good support system so I would stay in my room for what felt like weeks at a time just nursing. Sure there were sweet moments but I understand the fog. I broke down crying, just looking at him and wondering if I was fit to be a mom. Three years later he is the best thing that has ever happened to me. He stared into my eyes and tells me he loves me. This is all the validation I need as a mother. Your baby feels your love even though she has yet to tell you. She felt it from the first moment you hold them. She feels it every time you feed her, smile at her and hug her. Bless you and know that you are doing a wonderful job. Hugs from Texas!

• Reply Anna March 20, 2019 at 8:28 am

She is clearly so much more to you than a photo prop! There is so much love in your photos. Please keep posting pics of that beautiful baby girl!

Also, I was cycling with you as you did your IVF. My IVF baby was born shortly after Nori. Although not the same sex, some of what you’ve posted has been helpful (the pineapple pajamas and bear suit). I would love to see more baby outfits, especially things that could work for both baby boys and girls!

• Reply Ginger March 20, 2019 at 10:43 am

You are courageous and strong. Motherhood is not for sissies. Every mom has moments where she feels less than no matter how she appears to the world, but not every one is brave or real enough to say so. What an amazing role model for Nori!

• Reply Kristin March 20, 2019 at 11:30 am

What a beautiful mom you are, and what a beautiful daughter you have been blessed with. It is not easy to share the “tough” parts of life, or motherhood, so I applaud you for putting yourself out there. Anyone who has a negative comment to send your way of course has their own problems that they are manifesting out to you – please know that the mean-spirited comments are worthless, but the effort it takes to be honest with yourself and your audience is very meaningful. Thank you, and continued happiness/awareness/understanding to you and your family.

• Reply Lisa March 20, 2019 at 11:41 am

Hey Jean. I’m not a mom yet, but I appreciate your honest post. It’s refreshing. When I look at your blog, I think you have the perfect life! I know in the back of my head that it’s not always what it seems. You are so brave for sharing your experiences and putting yourself out there. Keep it up. You are amazing.

BTW I am absolutely appalled that people will create accounts just to mother shame you and call your baby names. This makes me wonder of the type of values they hold and what they might share with their own kids if that’s the case. Just remember that they don’t really hate you or mean those things… they are just bored with their lives and don’t put much thought into it their comment after they hit “submit”.

• Reply Jessa L March 20, 2019 at 11:49 am

Jean,

Thank you for sharing this. You really never know what’s happening behinds someone’s social media doors. Or even real doors. I work in healthcare and am all about people opening up! Everyone would be healthier, and hopefully happier, if they did.
    I have a 9 weeks old now and, while I luckily haven’t suffered from postpartum depression, I felt, and still, feel those blues sometimes. The middle of the night is the hardest when it’s dark, you’re exhausted, and your husband is sleeping and you love him but you hate him. (Hilarious poem by the way that made me feel so much better and more “normal”: https://www.popsugar.com/node/45824747). While I fed and held my baby, I wasn’t totally connected with her to begin with. Sure, I loved her, but the kind of love that’s like you have to love them. Not the kind where you’ve chosen to or fallen in love with them. She wasn’t interactive and we were strangers. There was actually a moment when she had a fever at a week old. We went to the pediatricians office and I got scared for a minute there. It was my first time out with her alone and I was so sleep deprived. I started crying while staring at her infant the office and that’s when I realized how much I actually love her. I fell in love with here right there, being scared for her. And I wanted to do everything to protect her. We have since become buddies.
    And the getting out is important. Luckily, I live in Denver where, even if there was a blizzard one day, it’s 60 degrees on the surrounding days. And the gorgeous mountains are an hour away. But I still go outside on those snowy, grey days. It helps. Just to move. And breath. And the mama’s group is my weekly sanity! It’s what I look forward to the most. Every. Single. Week. It’s where I can open up.
    Fortunately and unfortunately, it’s just my husband and I and our families live far away. Unfortunately, it’s hard. Fortunately, I’m learning and growing so much. And I’m surviving! I’m trusting my gut and surviving. The first month or so, I was online looking everything up, in Facebook groups asking questions. The last few weeks, I stopped that and staying offline has helped so much.
    I know you have a lot of followers and a public image, while I don’t, but keep in mind, you got there by being you. So, being a mother should be the same. Keep being you and trust your gut. Sure, read your messages and comments if that’s what you like to do to stay connected, but ultimately, you do you. Thanks again for sharing and being you! And, thanks for all the fashion advice and tips. I’m a small Asian, about your size, and you help me look decent 🙂 I actually lived in Portsmouth, NH for 10 months on a travel nurse assignment and anytime we went to Boston, I secretly hoped I’d run into you. I would’ve been star struck 😂 Anyway, I hope this doesn’t come off as rambling, because I do have a 9 week old-I’m still sleep deprived…

• Reply AW March 20, 2019 at 4:48 pm

I have been following your journey as my own pregnancy was pretty close to yours and was always wondering how these instamoms do it – they look so put together and their babies looked SO happy, and my oh my how their babies slept through the night.

Birth was difficult experience for me, and i was in denial being a mother. Breastfeeding broke me, and my own mother, despite having her around was immensely helpful during the first month, made me feel useless. And like you, i begged my husband to extend his parental leave, which he did and we moved in with his family. Having my husband’s support and presence was immensely helpful.

Currently my baby is 5 months old and although things have improved tremendously I still feel pretty blue somedays. Most nights i can still hear phantom cries and i have anxiety about my baby waking up that prevents me from sleeping well. I hope things do turn a corner around the 6 months mark..

• Reply MissLilly March 20, 2019 at 4:54 pm

Big thanks for sharing something so honest. We need more honest mums out there because reality is not just that gorgeous picture on social media, reality can be so hard. I had heard about PND but didn’t really thought it was so common until it hit me in the face. Similar to you my daughter had reflux and colic and who knows what. She was losing wait, not sleeping a thing and comfort feeding. I had to fight with doctors to be heard. I would not sleep until 16m for more than 2 to 4h a night in slots of 30m and no family around me other than my husband. I felt powerless and hopeless. I felt like a fraud of a mum because she was in such pain. I stopped going to mum and baby yoga classes because she would cry most of the time. I cried every single day for 6m in a row. My husband was amazing and was with me all the time. Knowledge is power and the more I realise what she had it helped me out. I also had to reach out to friends and ask for help which I never would do. What helped me clear the fog in my case was 3 weeks with my family, her improving and then going back to work (when she was 6m). I wish I had realised back then that maybe I was having some form of pnd. I wish I had known it was so common and I could reach to peer groups (like I did for living with reflux uk). Hugs to all the mums out here, we are superstar! Our kids loves us and they know we do everything we can and cannot for them. It’s ok to cry, it’s ok to ask for help. Together we can do this. Thank you so much for sharing and open such an important dialogue

• Reply Anonymous March 20, 2019 at 5:56 pm

New discovery for ALL the moms, new moms, and mothers-to-be out there:

Not that taking drugs for PPD is really the first thing one thinks of, but it may help those who feel PPD more acutely/severely! Good luck out there!

• Reply Linda March 21, 2019 at 12:24 am

Hi Jean! Sending love your way. My baby is probably a month or two older than Nori and I’ve enjoyed following your journey. Motherhood is definitely a whirlwind and I can definitely relate. I’m not sure if I had PPD but I definitely has something because there were a lot of emotions, tears, anxiety and guilt those first few months. (Anxiety and guilt still there for sure!) Thank you so much for sharing your story. I always look up to you and how perfect and easy you made motherhood look, while still being so stylish!! Thank you for reminding us that there is more that meets the eye and sharing your candid story. You are doing an AMAZING job; don’t listen to those haters! Do you have any tips on finding a mom group in the Boston area while working full time? I would love to find some mom friends but I barely even have time to shower some days!