Sharing Big News About a Little Embryo

infertility ivf stimulation injections extra petite blog

Prepping for nightly injections

Even before Nick and I started trying to have kids, I would sometimes imagine the insanely happy moment of seeing two lines appear on a stick, then conjuring up a clever way to surprise him with the news. But after years of trying, infertility and then IVF have transformed getting pregnant from something I once viewed as encapsulated in a single moment into a process defined by so many points along a journey, each point with its own different odds of either heartbreak or advancing to the next step. And at each point, the only thing you can really do is hope.

After we completed egg retrieval last year, one of the next crucial points was the embryo transfer, followed by an anxiety-ridden wait to find out if it implanted successfully. Although I kept telling myself to keep my hopefulness in check based on probabilities, the truth was I felt like I had poured everything I had, both emotionally and physically, into that single embryo.

boston blogger ivf embryo implantation day

Embryo implantation day

While in a cab earlier this month, we finally got that phone call from the IVF nurse with my blood test results, and she uttered news we’d been hoping to hear for so long:

“You’re pregnant!”

I remember barely breathing, as Nick and I just sat there blankly. It was like we were both brimming with joy, yet neither of us wanted to let it out in case it might not be real or it might not last. But when I looked over and saw a tear well up in his eye, it really started to hit me. And with each day and each doctor’s appointment, it’s becoming much more real.

I’m now about 9 weeks along, which I know is a little early to share by traditional standards. I’m feeling especially anxious, since infertility has made it hard for me to trust my own body to do the things it’s supposed to do. However, this journey has taught me to find strength in knowing you’re not alone and knowing others have experienced and felt the things you have and more — especially when the outcome is not certain. It’s also shown me that things don’t always happen how you expect them to, and there are many different paths to get where you’re trying to go.

Even though this road didn’t unfold how we’d imagined, we couldn’t be more grateful and so very happy to have made it to this point. Thank you to each one of you who shared hope, positivity, and encouragement thus far, and we’re so excited to continue sharing this next chapter with you!

extra petite pregnancy announcement ivf journey1

366 thoughts on “Sharing Big News About a Little Embryo

• Carol January 31, 2018 at 10:46 pm

Congrats! So happy for you!

• HanD January 31, 2018 at 11:13 pm

Congrats to both of you! All the hardship and pain you have endured to get to this point will seem small once you hold this precious baby in your arms. I still remember the several rounds of IVF and surrogacy we had to go through, but every time I look at my daughter, I always know it was worth everything. Wishing you a healthy and happy pregnancy!

• Michelle Dann January 31, 2018 at 11:28 pm

Jean, I am so happy for you and Nick! How amazing and wonderful this new is.

Congratulations to both of you🙏🏼👏🏼👶🏻

• A February 1, 2018 at 12:37 am

thanks for being brave enough to share. We’re a young couple too and went through ivf after struggling with infertility. I’m in my second trimester and as grateful as I am for this miracle, I still get sad thinking that our journey to this point was so difficult and unnatural. It helps to know I’m not alone. God bless your little bumble—best wishes for a happy, healthy pregnancy.

• Chloe February 1, 2018 at 9:18 am

Dear Jean

Congratulations. Very happy for you. I still can remember the time I found out I was pregnant, the joy was unspeakable!!!

I really enjoy your blog and it has been helping me to stay positive for so many years.

I will keep praying for you and wish you have a smooth pregnancy journey.

You and Nick will be welcoming this little miracle.

2018 is a great year.

All the best!

• J February 1, 2018 at 9:39 am

Congrats! You’ll be an amazing mom, so happy for you.

• Emily February 1, 2018 at 9:40 am

Congrats Jean – so happy for you!!! Can’t wait to see how you will rock maternity fashion!

• J February 1, 2018 at 9:41 am

Congrats! You’ll be an amazing mom, so happy for you!

• Janelle February 1, 2018 at 10:13 am

Congratulations!!! As a fellow petite lady, I have been reading your blog for tips for years now, but have never commented before. I am just thrilled for you and your husband! I wish your new baby good health and joy.

• Shubana February 1, 2018 at 1:41 pm

Congratulations on this new and exciting journey!

Sugar Coated Things x Beauty Blog

• Gwen February 1, 2018 at 2:52 pm

So thrilled for you! Reading about the tears welling up in your eyes brought tears to mine. Thank you for your bravery in sharing such a deeply personal part of your life. Congratulations!!

• Nicole February 1, 2018 at 2:54 pm

I so very rarely comment, but always look forward to your posts – especially this one! Congratulations, and hoping for a joyful year to follow.

• su February 1, 2018 at 3:04 pm

Very very Happy to know.
    congratulations!!! lots of love, prayers n blessings .

• Anonymous February 1, 2018 at 3:35 pm

Congratulation! Finally!

• Agi February 1, 2018 at 5:39 pm

I am so happy for you and wish you the best!

• Lindsey February 1, 2018 at 6:12 pm

Oh my goodness, what wonderful news !! I am truly so happy for you and Nick and wish you a healthy pregnancy ahead!

• S February 1, 2018 at 6:40 pm

Congratulations!!!! SO happy for you <3

• Michele February 1, 2018 at 10:16 pm

Congratulations! I can’t imagine how incredibly difficult the journey has been, thank you for sharing your story and giving hope to all the other strong women going through similar situations. 2018 is your year ❤️ 🍼

• Jenny February 1, 2018 at 10:52 pm

Dear Jean,
    Your story is so inspiring and despite all the hardships you have faced, I’m so proud and happy for you and Nick. I have been a longtime reader and I admire your elegant style and taste. You have been so courageous to share your story and I am in awe of your strength and persistence. You already are an amazing mother. Congratulations to the both of you, and may you continue to be blessed.

• Christine February 2, 2018 at 8:37 am

Congratulations on the little one. I hope each day is better than the last.

• Nancy February 2, 2018 at 4:22 pm

Congrats! I applaud your courage to share such a personal story. All the best!

• Anonymous February 2, 2018 at 8:18 pm

Congratulations!

• Michelle February 3, 2018 at 4:25 am

I am so happy for you. Congratulations. Xoxo

• carrie February 3, 2018 at 7:21 am

congradulations!

• Rosemarie February 3, 2018 at 10:56 pm

Congratulations Jean! I am so happy for you guys. Thank you for sharing this journey with us, it is inspiring! Thank you!

• Joy February 4, 2018 at 1:47 am

Congratulations! Enjoy every little moment!

• Fernanda February 4, 2018 at 1:17 pm

So happy for you and Nick, Jean!!!!! xoxo

• H S February 4, 2018 at 5:25 pm

All the very best to both you and yor husband!! Very happy to see this news!!

• Sharon February 5, 2018 at 3:49 am

Congratulations to you Jen. I shared the same journey as you 10 years ago and could fully understand what you went through. But all are good now and wish you and Nick all the best.

• Kris February 5, 2018 at 11:24 am

I’m so happy for the two of you. I stumbled on your blog last year and have been checking in periodically for the fashion and the updates. Congratulations! Stay strong and be encouraged.

• Grace February 5, 2018 at 11:53 am

Congratulations to you and Nick, Jean! I’m beyond thrilled for the two of you. Wishing you a safe and uneventful pregnancy. Thank you once again for sharing such personal news about your trying journey. You are an inspiration.

• na ncy c February 5, 2018 at 1:53 pm

Congratulations!!

• Emily February 5, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Congratulations! I am so happy for you both. I remember being so impacted by your earlier post about trying to become pregnant, thank you for having the courage to share that, especially with how difficult that must have been. I prayed for this outcome, and I am praying for you to have a safe pregnancy, and you will be fantastic parents!

• Vea February 5, 2018 at 5:33 pm

Oh what a great news Jean!!! I just stopped by to visit your blog today just to see how things are with my favorite fashion blogger… the last post I’ve read was about a rough time you’re going through, but look at you now!!! So blessed!!! I’m so happy and excited for you and your family! I’ll pray for your healthy and safe pregnancy. Enjoy the moment, and take care of yourself! Can’t wait to see your bundle of joy!!! Hugs!!!

• Anonymous February 6, 2018 at 10:02 pm

So happy for you both!!!

• Carol February 6, 2018 at 11:40 pm

Congrats!! All the best to your pregnancy!

• maryland teacher February 7, 2018 at 1:57 am

So very happy for you… motherhood is a joy that you will carry through your whole life. My boys are 26 and 27 years old, and I still am as thrilled as I was when I first learned I was pregnant. Thank you for sharing your journey and your excitement.

• maryland teacher February 7, 2018 at 1:58 am

• e.k. February 7, 2018 at 3:10 am

Congrats to you and Nick! May God give you enough peace to trust Hum with each passing day and may He give you greater strength to trust Him too.

• Jennifer February 7, 2018 at 5:59 pm

I came to your blog just now and I had a feeling that you were pregnant and I saw this post! Congrats.

• Linda February 7, 2018 at 8:47 pm

Congratulations!! You’ll be such a great mama I’m sure–and Nick will be an awesome dad.

• Mary February 8, 2018 at 4:13 am

congratulations! really happy for you. thanks for your style inspiration and best wishes!

• Anyi Labrada February 8, 2018 at 8:41 pm

Congratulations, so happy for you guy’s.!

My husband and I have been trying for long now, but I have not lost hope.

• Angie February 11, 2018 at 12:32 am

Congratulations to you both! God is good!!! Enjoy every moment of pregnancy 🤰🏻. I’m sure you will have amazing pregnancy style. Little tip, AG maternity jeans are so comfy & cute.

• G S February 14, 2018 at 12:12 am

Congratulations. So happy for you both. Have a safe and healthy pregnancy.

• Janet February 15, 2018 at 2:33 am

Thank you for sharing your experience and the amazing news. Congratulations to you and Nick!!!

• Lily February 15, 2018 at 11:49 pm

So happy for you guys! I’ve been reading your blog for over 2 years now and I feel like I know you through your posts. This post is like hearing good things from friends!

• Kristen February 16, 2018 at 10:53 am

Hi Jean,
    I’m so incredibly happy for you and Nick. I can’t imagine the heartache you’ve been through, but I do understand the happiness that is to come! Being a mommy is the best, and you’re going to be so amazing!

• Kate February 19, 2018 at 10:58 am

I’ve followed your blog sporadically, but I’m so happy for you! Congratulations!!
    May your pregnancy be a joy, your baby be the healthiest little squiggler, and your cravings always be in reach (mine was cold water, easy as anything)

May I recommend four books which I found indispensable?
    For now:
    Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn: lots of information about what’s going on, presented in a factual manner
    The Birth Partner: if you want to learn SO MUCH about late stage pregnancy and childbirth. Seriously helpful for me and for my husband.
    For later:
    The Happiest Baby on the Block: learn those 5 S’s. Have your husband learn those 5 S’s so he can look like an expert baby whisperer. We even brought a portable white noise machine in the hospital to make the transition home a little easier.
    The Wonder Weeks: gives some time periods you can expect baby to be super fussy/clingy/angry. Incredibly helpful to be a little prepared once you get the hang of it. It’s not always teething! Sometimes the world is just SO INTENSE for a baby’s changing brain.

Congratulations!

• Chon El February 23, 2018 at 12:10 am

Congrats! I followed you because i like your fashion style. I’m a pettite 4’9″ Filipina gal myself. We did ivf 9 yrs ago and have a baby girl. Goodluck on your journey.