• Underneath the Outfit: Hidden Ways to Stay Warm

apres ski winter white faux fur vest outfit petite style

BB Dakota vest xs (also sold here), Talbots sweater (similar), J.Brand jeans 24,
    Sperry boots sz 5.5, Asos hat (similar here or here), Ray-Ban sunglasses, Celine bag

What a week it’s been in Boston! Even for an indifferent sports-watcher like myself, the energy here has been infectious from the big win. And as some of you saw on Instagram, our main cause for celebration was this Super Bowl commercial pulled off by Nick and a very small but creative team. I’m a little ‘bai’ased of course, but I’m so proud of the work he’s done while still making time to help me with this blog. They filmed the ad during our recent trip to LA … I’m disappointed to report though that overzealous fan-wives were not permitted on set with JT!

park city utah cute snow ski lodge outfit petite fashion

I forgot to share photos of this winter white look, in which I was trying to channel either a snow bunny or the abominable snowman – you decide! There’s more to many of my cold-weather outfits than what meets the eye, thanks to hidden layers and useful little items.

For longer periods of time in the cold, Nick and I started using hand and toe warmers at the recommendation of a friend (who relies on them for her lengthier commute). I don’t like the fact that these are not re-usable, but they last for up to 8 hours and definitely do help when you want to be extra prepared against the elements! The hand warmers, shown below, are little packets activated by shaking, and the toe ones are flat to be stuck on the underside of your socks. They don’t get very hot, rather, are just warm to keep your hands/feet at a comfortable temperature. We buy ours here online, or you can also find them at some home improvement or sporting goods stores (since they’re popular with construction workers or hikers / campers).

uniqlo heattech thermal under shirt hot hand warmers review

For layering, I’ve mentioned Uniqlo before as my go-to for thermals, but this Heattech scoop neck tee shown above is my favorite for staying completely hidden under tops. It comes in an un-glamorous underwear package and feels very thin, but works to keep you insulated without excess bulk, even when layered under blouses. I recommend getting a shade similar to your skin tone so it won’t show up under white or lighter-colored tops. The scoop neckline is bigger than what I was looking for (they don’t make Heattech crewnecks in nude shades for some reason!), but it does stay nicely concealed under even lower-cut tops.

cute winter outfit what to pack for ski lodge weekend trip

On the bottom half, I usually wear thin leggings under my pants in very cold weather, or tights under super skinny jeans. For white bottoms or jeans with slight distressing and rips, nude hosiery that’s close to your skin tone can serve as a hidden layer of extra warmth.

winter white snow bunny outfit apres ski fashion

Eddie Bauer coat xs (see my review), Sperry boots sz 5.5 (also sold here)

This doesn’t apply to my coat here, but I’ve gotten some questions on what to do for outerwear hoods that come down too far and cover half your face (because there’s nothing cute about walking around with impaired vision!). You could potentially get the hood altered if it’s detachable, or, try wearing a beanie with a small pom pom underneath which helps elevate the hood up an inch or two. I know it defeats the purpose of being able to just flip a hood over your head, but on the plus side you get extra insulation up top.

What are some of your tips & tricks to staying warm in the winter? Please share!

49 thoughts on “Underneath the Outfit: Hidden Ways to Stay Warm

• La Bijoux Bella | by mia February 7, 2017 at 11:05 pm

Simply beautiful . . . Loving the snow white scenery. Just fabulous! 🙂

❤LA BIJOUX BELLA❤ | BY MIA | A Creative Lifestyle Blog

• Tourettes February 7, 2017 at 11:27 pm

Where did to get your Celine bag? 😀 love this look!

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture and Lifestyle Blog February 7, 2017 at 11:34 pm

I love your coat. Too bad it's not cold enough in Hong Kong to wear that!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

• Helen Veyna February 8, 2017 at 1:57 am

First of all, I love this outfit. That pom pom beanie is so cute! Also, thanks for these awesome tips on how to stay warm. I recently discovered Uniqlo's heattech, and their tops and tights have been essentials in my wardrobe this winter season. I've also been using the tights under jeans trick all winter long. I'll have to look into getting some of those hand and toe warmers as well.

-Helen
      Sweet Helen Grace

• MizEats February 8, 2017 at 2:00 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• MizEats February 8, 2017 at 2:03 am

Hi Jean, I agree with you that wearing thermals under clothes is one of the best ways to stay warm in cold temps. When I do snow-related activities, I like to wear my Northface waterproof shell/jacket and beneath that a fleece jacket and sweater. My pants are usually snow pants, which are made of a waterproof material. Having waterproof clothes is key as you want to stay dry. I may look like Joey from an episode of Friends, but at least I'm warm. 😛

• Georgiana February 8, 2017 at 2:52 am

Layers, layers and some more layers… the best way to keep warm when running outside the whole day in winter. I really like the photos, the white outfit against the snowy background, trés chic!

Why are glossies (Elle, Vogue, …) only selling aspirations and inspirations? Read more (link).

• Neeltje | Thoughts in Style February 8, 2017 at 3:21 am

Love this outfit. X

• Julia February 8, 2017 at 3:36 am

Absolutely in love with this white look! And congrats on Nick's work! My company has a short Super Bowl commercial this year as well. The ads are definitely one of the things I look forward to the most every February! 🙂

Julia || Closet de Jules || Recent Post – This Season's Cutest Bags

• Sophie Spiegelberger February 8, 2017 at 4:47 am

White always looks so stunning in winter!

• Rachelle Pinksole February 8, 2017 at 5:19 am

This the cutest winter look, thankfully I didn't have to be anywhere cold this year but yea if I am I always have my cuddl dubs.

xo
      Pinksole

• Beatriz Moreno Martínez February 8, 2017 at 5:49 am

Jean!! Great post!! I knew these little packets as I love skiing!! Precisely I knew about them in Boston when I went to skiing to Vermont. There are also thermal leggings that works very well under the ski suit. Eddie Bawer is also a brand that I love when cold temperatures and they have a pretty design, that is important too😉

• Oroma Roxella Rukevwe February 8, 2017 at 6:52 am

Love the outfit!

/ ORR – Life & Style Journal

• Anonymous February 8, 2017 at 8:58 am

Do you size up your jackets and coats? I often find that my sleeves are too tight cause my sweater is too bulky.

• pumpkinmommy February 8, 2017 at 9:10 am

I am all about Heat Tech. I will wear two Heat Tech thermal shirts, one over the other, on super cold days. I wish they would bring back the Heat Tech leggings in lighter colors for wearing under light colored pants. Cool thing about Heat Tech is that it doesn't fray (much) so if the neckline is too high, you can get away with trimming it down.

• alka February 8, 2017 at 9:27 am

LOVEd the commercial..Congrats to Nick and team!! Outfit is awesome and yay for the Pats!!! What a game?!!

• MizEats February 8, 2017 at 9:43 am

Nick did a great job on the commercial!

• Ewa Macherowska February 8, 2017 at 9:47 am
    • Daneisha Smith February 8, 2017 at 10:19 am

These pictures are gorgeous. I just love how the backdrops complement your outfit! So pretty!

• Josephine Ellen February 8, 2017 at 10:25 am

He was behind that commercial?! Amazing – congrats to him! And I LOVE this wintery look!
      xx,
      josephine

• Beth Silverman Landau February 8, 2017 at 11:52 am

Grabber brand foot warmers are lifesavers. They are shoe inserts that don't stick to anything and run the whole length of the foot. They cost more than the toe warmers but, in my opinion, make even the coldest temperatures bearable. They come in two sizes. I also love Uniqlo's HeatTech, but a CuddleDuds has a line that is also invisible under clothes. I love their turtleneck and even wear it under… yes, another turtleneck. Eliminates the need for a scarf if you're going for a more streamlined look. I strongly advocate warming layers beneath bottoms of all types, including fleece-lined tights or leggings. Look for ones of different weights for customization, as well as those that do not pinch at the waist. Knit tights are a great layer Under thin pants from fall to spring. Also – invest in a jacket that actually keeps you warm. My Eddie Bauer Duffle Coat isn't high fashion, but when everyone is gasping from cold or freezing for fashion, people consistently admire it and same where they can get one. Plus, you can keep your outfit trim and fashionable underneath it.

• Sasa Zoe February 8, 2017 at 11:54 am

So cute:P

Shall We Sasa

• nazita February 8, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Jean your looks are always amazing. Thank for sharing them with us

Un saludo

• AlibestDeal February 8, 2017 at 5:24 pm

I really love this outfit! Great ways to stay warm at winter!

• Chantel February 8, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Great photos and I love your vest.

• Nano @ Travel With Nano B. February 8, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Your outfit is gorgeous. For some reason, many tend to dress in darker shades like grey and black during winter, but you are sporting white so perfectly! As for warmers, Uniqlo is my go-to as well for thermals, love perusing their shops here in Tokyo. I also try to buy body shirts instead of regular tees – no need to tuck them in and, overall, look is neater and more comfortable. And of course a pair of UGGs – I could never survive a cold winter without them 🙂

• Valeri February 8, 2017 at 9:47 pm

I had no idea Nick had something to do with advertising in film. That's so cool. And it would have been HECKA cool (my daughter's words) to have been able to say hello to JT. I think he's pretty awesome.

btw: I bought the black faux fur vest you're wearing in another blog that is from Abercrombie and Fitch. What a great buy! I get so many compliments on it.

• P February 8, 2017 at 11:10 pm

Wool socks help me survive the winter. I usually get them from Costco, but I recently discovered Darn Tough socks at REI – they have a lifetime warranty!

• Tynka. February 9, 2017 at 6:59 am

lovely!

• Julie Hiller February 9, 2017 at 10:39 am

Wearing a pom beaning under my hood keeps it from being too blinding–that's a good tip. Also, I always wear fleece-lined gloves and hats for extra warmth.

Style by Joules

• Julia Mazzucato February 9, 2017 at 9:14 pm

I love that knit hat! These are gorgeous photos.
      Julia・Little Miss Haute Couture

• LitLaur February 10, 2017 at 1:06 am

How exciting! Congrats to Nick and his team!

If you'd like some reusable hand warmers, look up Heat in a Click or Hot Snapz. I've only tried the first brand, but they work the same way.

• Paddling In Stilettos February 10, 2017 at 1:17 am

I always love your style!
      xoxo

• Rachel February 10, 2017 at 8:14 am

You look stunning! Beautiful shots!

• Lindsay February 11, 2017 at 9:46 am

Bai was our favorite commercial – although with the Bai Amazon button attached to the side of our frig, it would have been a top contender anyway! Great job to your hubs!

I LOVE this look! Definitely my ideal winter look…if I didn't have a 3 and 1 year old toting applesauce pouches around all day. Seriously though, this whole outfit is beautiful, and I love the tips to stay secretly warm.

• Kate Amar February 11, 2017 at 10:56 am

You and your helpful tips! You rock! I love the combo of your beautiful pics, style inspo, and helpful info. Thanks and keep it up!

• Vera February 12, 2017 at 3:06 pm

What a stunning look. I love your vest.

Blonde in Cashmere

• Jean February 13, 2017 at 1:57 pm

Thanks! It's from Barneys

• Jean February 13, 2017 at 1:58 pm

Haha I totally agree … being waterproof and warm tops being fashionable in the winter! I know Nick love the Northface shells but I haven't tried them yet myself!

• Jean February 13, 2017 at 1:59 pm

All of my coats tend to fit differently, so if I'm wearing something bulkier I'll go for my looser fitting coats! I still like to buy some coats true to size, for a sleeker silhouette and when I don't wear thick layers underneath.