Fall Trends: 4 (Petite-Friendly) Ways to Style Over The Knee Boots

casual fall outfit idea apple pear picking boston

Marc Fisher Epic OTK boots c/o DSW (similar), J.Crew blazer, Caslon tee, BP scarf (similar), Paige jeans

Here in New England, apple picking gets all the love but my personal favorite has to be pear picking! We went for the first time last year and I couldn’t wait for the crisp, sweet and juicy pears to come back in season. Our favorite farm for this is Honey Pot Hill…their pear harvest might be dwindling down for the season, but I’d highly recommend it for next year, if you live in the Boston area!

dsw marc fisher over the knee otk boots

For today’s post, I’ve partnered with DSW to share styling ideas for one of my favorite Fall pieces: over-the-knee (OTK) boots! This particular pair I’m wearing is a good option for shorter women – the block heel is low & stable, and the shaft hits me right above the knees (for reference, I’m about 5 feet tall). A style like this is a great way to dip your toes into the trend if you’re not ready for the thigh-high styles yet.

fall outfit jcrew camel blazer nordstrom plaid blanket scarf

I often hear from petite women who shy away from OTK boots, but I personally find them to be flattering and leg-lengthening, not to mention warm. Here are 4 easy outfit ideas that I love for this style of boots:

1. For a chic cold-weather look, wear a simple tee or sweater dress that’s slightly shorter in length, so there’s at least an inch or so of gap between the top of the boot and the bottom hem of your dress. Add tights in the winter, and a long cardigan or jacket for a layered look. If your boots tend to slip downward against bare legs, try wearing thicker socks or leg-warmers inside of your boots to help create traction.

over the knee otk boots dress wrap jacket fall outfit

2. For a cozy and weekend outfit, pair stretchy leggings with a longer tunic top, oversized sweater or poncho:

fall casual outfit anthropologie poncho sweater tall boots

3. For a casual everyday look, wear your OTK boots with tucked-in skinny jeans and a sweater or tee. I like using the zipper opening right by the ankle of the boots to reach in and pull down my jeans all the way and avoid bunchiness. For additional print and texture, layer a plaid shirt either underneath (letting the collar, sleeve cuffs, and bottom of the shirt peek out) or tie it around your waist.

fall outfit idea OTK boots cable sweater plaid shirt

4. For a super simple and quintessentially Fall outfit, pair your boots with dark jeans, a basic tee and soft patterned blanket scarf. Layer on a blazer for a preppy look like I did here:

fall style plaid blanket scarf white tee tall boots

These Marc Fisher boots come in four colors (I’m wearing the olive) and both regular and a wide calf fit. I get reader requests for extended calf just as much as narrow calf boots, and rarely see it offered in smaller sizes like these are. I have on the size 5.5 regular which are on the narrow side in the calf, with a looser fit on me in the lower thigh area due to a slit in the upper back shaft. Sizing feels true to size, and they were comfortable with no breaking in required. Here’s two other styles that I found at DSW, available in smaller sizes like 5+ and with narrower calf measurements:

Aldo faux suede heeled boots – Under $100, listed with 13″ calf and 22″ shaft height

Charles David flat faux suede boots – listed with 12″ calf and 21.5″ shaft height

fall fashion blazer blanket scarf over the knee tall boots

Here’s a Pinterest-friendly summary of my favorite looks from above!

how to style_ways to wear over the knee OTK boots

52 thoughts on “Fall Trends: 4 (Petite-Friendly) Ways to Style Over The Knee Boots

• Cam Nguyen October 5, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Thank you so much for the tips, I recently purchase a OTK boots during the Nordstrom Anniversary sale and can't wait to get some use in them.

• April October 5, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Those OTK boots are so pretty! I love OTK boots for all the reasons you mentioned (especially the comfort and warmth factors). I love all the different ways you styled them!

April | http://thebluehydrangeas.com

• Sarika October 5, 2016 at 11:57 pm

They are not same length as stuart weitzman otk. Correct?

• Olyvia October 6, 2016 at 12:33 am

You look great in those OTK books! They look super warm too! Unfortunately for me, OTK emphasizes how very short my chubby thighs are, haha! Must be a proportion thang 😉

• Stylingsistas October 6, 2016 at 12:34 am

We sisters are petite and love your blog. This post really helped us and guess what we will get one of these beauties :)) ! Thanks for this post, looking forward for more such posts ! Hugs….

• Susan Nguyen October 6, 2016 at 1:51 am

Those boots are gorgeous and the photo you took look cozy and have inspired me to recreate some of these looks.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Susan xoxo
    glamrituals.com

• La Bijoux Bella | by mia October 6, 2016 at 1:56 am

Such a cute look for Fall! 🙂

La Bijoux Bella | by mia

• Lady SAKINA October 6, 2016 at 2:45 am

These over the knee boots are made for you . OTK boots are my favorite style of shoes in fall to spring ! I'm in love with the tall lenght, so suede, vegan or leather are nice versions of my dressing. I like the chic way of the different combinations to wear them, you are so cute and so chic with them. ♥

• Mitch October 6, 2016 at 2:46 am

I love your style :). Thanks for sharing ;).

• Anonymous October 6, 2016 at 3:02 am

these boots are super cute!
    Fash 'n' fudge
    Fash 'n' fudge

• fabi Aguilar October 6, 2016 at 5:31 am

Love that kind of boots!!! classic for every winter!

Your outfits with them are so cool!! <3

Thanks for sharing 😉

• Tess Felber_Sequins are the New Black October 6, 2016 at 7:29 am

I LOVE your OTK boots! So chic, yet so versatile : ) Happy Thursday!
    xx Tess | Sequins are the New Black

• Leeann Bienfang October 6, 2016 at 9:55 am

Those boots are so cute and I like that they have a heel on them for us short people! 🙂

• Justine W October 6, 2016 at 10:10 am

Can you do a tutorial on how to put our hair up in a pony tail like yours ? Mine always turns out to be a flat flop. Thanks'

• Julie Hiller October 6, 2016 at 10:28 am

All three of these looks are great. I think the first might be my favorite! Love the coat and the boots.

Style by Joules

• Rose Nika October 6, 2016 at 11:15 am

sooo many ways to wear those boots TALK ABOUT BEST DEAL EVER

Life is just Rosie
    Instagram

• The Brave Brunette October 6, 2016 at 1:08 pm

I'm also 5 feet and I found I little bit hard wearing OTK boots, but I think I'm gonna try anyways. THANKS xx

• Em October 6, 2016 at 1:17 pm

I absolutely love this!! I've been looking for a way to style my new OTN boots! Bought a pair for the 1st time which was super daring for me!xx

• abu October 6, 2016 at 2:06 pm

wow! looks so nice and style

• abu October 6, 2016 at 2:17 pm

wow! looks so nice and style…

• Ev October 6, 2016 at 3:07 pm
  • Robyn October 6, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Super cute look! Love the boots 😀

• Sharan Kaur October 6, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Love your outfit and your OTK boots! I'll definitely have to invest in a pair this season!

xoxo
    Sharan

• Mei Liang October 6, 2016 at 5:31 pm

I really like the short dress and the leggings with looser tunic look! I used to shy away from OTK boots as well since I'm petite but with the right outfits (like yours!), it really does elongate the legs. Thanks for sharing!

Pieces of Mei

• Maria Khalid October 6, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Jean, great post as usual! I got inspired by you to order the boots myself in olive 🙂 FYI for the other readers, if you are a dsw member, you can apply two different codes at the same time for a total of $40 off your purchase. The codes are 'fallsavings' and 'fall2016' (you do have to be a dsw rewards member which is not a credit card, just a rewards card)

• BW02 October 6, 2016 at 10:33 pm

#1 is the main use I see for OTK boots. So you can wear dresses in the winter!

• Myra Jean Lerma October 7, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Love this look!! I just brought out my OTK boots to see if I could recreate with my beige blazer…and sadly my beautiful boots got squished in my closet over the summer season. I now have a saggy crinkled look near the ankle on one of the boots. Do you have any tips on how to reshape boots (not just the reshape inserts but something to give them a "wrinkle face lift").

• Anonymous October 7, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Hi Jean, just wondering where you got your short swing dress from? Or if you could provide more details. Thank you!! I love it

• Jean October 7, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Hi! It's from Boohoo petites but sold out. They have similar still but only in regular sizing, I believe

• Jean October 7, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Oh no! Unfortunately I don't … maybe apply leather conditioner and then stuff them in the sagged area? The conditioner moistens the material so maybe the drying process will aid in some re-shaping, but that's just a guess!

• Jean October 7, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Hi Justine! this older post has some of the steps I use to add volume to my ponytail: http://www.extrapetite.com/2015/06/easy-formal-hairstyle-tutorials-from.html

• Jean October 7, 2016 at 8:48 pm

SW has lots of OTK styles…the 50/50 have around the same shaft height, the highland/midland/lowland are higher, and the all legs are lots higher.

• Anonymous October 7, 2016 at 10:41 pm

As a petite/narrow calf gal and DSW Rewards Premier member familiar with DSW.com's selection of suede OTN boots, I was surprised to see a link posted for Charles David Flat Faux Suede Boots. Product details list a 21.5" shaft height and a comment from a 5'9" reviewer mentioning how these boots go well over her knees. You may want to revisit the website to confirm having these posted as petite friendly OTN boots.

• Jean October 8, 2016 at 1:46 am

Oops, thanks for pointing out my typo of 11.5 instead of 21.5 (big difference, so I hope no one actually thought it was 11 as that would definitely not be OTK!). I tried those boots on myself and did find them to be petite-friendly. Many OTK boots are designed to hit higher at the thighs not like the Marc Fisherers. The Charles David ones are narrower than most boots I've tried on, and measure just like my Stuart Weitzman Lowlands both in shaft height and width.

• Amanda Irel October 8, 2016 at 2:25 pm

I absolutely LOVE that camel blazer! Beautiful! I tend to shy away from anything that's not a black blazer but the camel still looks crisp and sophisticated.

• Sara Bolanos October 8, 2016 at 3:08 pm

These are sold out but I love what you did! (I'm 4'11) and have been scared to try OTK! do you think you could link similar styles/brands that are also petite friendly and wont break the bank =(

• Jessica October 9, 2016 at 12:54 pm

After reading this post, I was very eager to go to DSW to try on these boots. I am about 5'1" and petite like you and have a terrible time finding boots that fit snug in the calves. The Marc Fisher boots were too loose, not at all how they seem to fit you. The Aldo boots are very slim, but also very tall. They came to about mid-thigh on me. How would you wear those boots? Would they make me look too short wearing them under a dress without any space between the dress and the boot? I think they are too snug to wear over jeans, maybe leggings. What would you suggest?

• Maine Girl October 9, 2016 at 5:01 pm

I called DSW today, and they said there's a possibility that they will get re-stocked. I was so disappointed too 🙁

• mayu from japan October 10, 2016 at 10:43 pm

Hi,Jean!
    I got these boots in olive, boohoo wrap, and old navy shirt.
    I'm a big fan of your outfit, they are comfy but cute !
    I also feel happy in sweet colors.