Navy and Emerald

greenongreen4
greenongreen5

J.Crew Lady Day Coat sz 00P in “oasis green,”  H&M; blouse, blazer & clutch, Yesstyle skirt
Adrienne Vittadini boots, Target girls tights, Amrita Singh necklace, F21 belt, MK Tortoise watch

This ensemble was from my 2011 J.Crew lady day coat review post – I just forgot to post the outfit underneath. Despite your encouraging words to keep the H&M; emerald dress, I wasn’t too sad to part with it as I’ve already overindulged in the color. This shade of green is flattering on many skin tones and easy to pair. It can be elegant or preppy, depending on what you do with it.
greenongreen3

greenongreen
For this simple weekend outfit, I went the preppy route with touches of warm cognac brown, deep navy, and stripes. This old striped belt is one of my favorite finds from Forever 21 (even though the diaper-like shorts they came with have been condemned). Looking back on my post from 1 year ago, I realize that most of my purchases from there have never seen the light of day. It makes me think twice before spending money again at F21.
greenongreen2

Readers – What colors are you loving for Spring? Mint is everywhere, but this shade of green seems more universally flattering & classic.

91 thoughts on “Navy and Emerald

• Anonymous February 22, 2012 at 11:04 pm

wow the first comment!!!!! i love you , Jean!

• Anonymous February 22, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I wouldn't wear a green coat over a green top. Thats too much.

• Anonymous February 22, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I miss reading your blogs! I know you're busy and I understand. My husband said I'm addicted to you..LOL… but it's because you're so inspiring! Keep up the great work. I love greens on you. You look beautiful as always!

• Jessica Cai February 22, 2012 at 11:07 pm

I'm a petite girl too and I love how you find items that fit your shape! Great outfit 🙂

• Lainey February 22, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Love the pairing Jean! The green is gorgeous on you!

• Work Hard, Stay Humble February 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm

mint is definitely in, but i've always preferred forrest/emerald green over mint. Spring color wise, i've been really into red orange, especially when the material is chiffon.
    Btw I really like your outfit in last photo with just the blazer over. Very simple/elegant.

• Meek February 22, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Jean I've been so inspired by your love of an emerald or kelly green that I'm determined to add more of that color to my closet. In the winter I am closer to your color (I'm Vietnamese), so thanks for showing me how to wear it!

For spring, I am loving a good coral, since I turn a deeper tan. I think it would look fabulous on you too!

xo

• Vicky February 22, 2012 at 11:14 pm

The green, navy, camel, cognac are so well put together. Love the ensemble. I've been trying to find a camel mini, but with no luck. Please keep your eyes peeled for me. 🙂
    It's a great idea to look back 1 year and reflect what has worked and what hasn't. F21 purchases for me hasn't been the most lasting ones, so lesson learned.
    Congrats on your new job. Hope to see you this weekend.

• Jackie February 22, 2012 at 11:19 pm

This outfit looks so chic! Emerald really does look good on you.

I know this is so two years ago, but I'm really falling in love with yellow again at the moment =D

• Anonymous February 22, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Love the colors! I'm 5'0.75" … haha. Can you shed some insight on good blazers that fit petites and what to look for? thanks!

Kimberly
    drlovesnerd.tumblr.com

• Yunstation February 22, 2012 at 11:32 pm
  • With Each Passing Day February 22, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Love the ensemble. The colors work so well together. I am looking to add more green to my wardrobe. =)

• Genie February 23, 2012 at 12:00 am

I love that shade of green against your skin tone! I'd have to say I'm really excited for the creme pinks and purples. I'd also like to try out some coral pieces, they feel like an echo of neon to me.

xoxo,
    Genie

• littlemissandrea February 23, 2012 at 12:02 am

Beautiful colours, Jean! I've always found emerald green to be universally flattering. Although I am really loving mint & coral this season, the emerald green is much easier to wear year round compared to those other two shades. Love the outfit as always!

• Mia M. February 23, 2012 at 12:03 am

I'm a new Yorker whose afraid of color. I would wear a pop of color of something but not a bright coat

• Janine A February 23, 2012 at 12:07 am

I agree, this is a much more flattering color than mint green. The blue and green go so well together!! Great shots as usual 🙂

• Victoria February 23, 2012 at 12:08 am

Love this green. It's a great bold color and looks perfect with navy blue. Boots are way cute too.

xoxo,

Victoria

• SIENA.STYLE February 23, 2012 at 12:15 am

you look so pretty

• Petite-ish February 23, 2012 at 12:16 am

I've been obsessed with whites/creams lately, although I'm not really saving it for spring haha. Its too bad about the F21 items never seeing the light of day :-/ I hate when that happens! Maybe you can sell them or give them away. It always makes me feel good when I can find a cousin or friend to whom I can give an item that I'd spent good money on, but then never wore.

• SS February 23, 2012 at 12:55 am

Love green & navy combination. Navy jacket worked really well with that green. I'm thinking to get some pastel color for spring!

• Benjamin + Trang February 23, 2012 at 1:20 am

Love the Emerald on you…it looks great! For my transition into spring, I've been really into this yellow color called tobacco… I'm obsessed! Thanks for posting!

-Trang

• Anonymous February 23, 2012 at 1:42 am

Curious as to why the F21 items never see the light of day – passing trends? lack of quality?

• GiuliaC_Sparkly Fashion February 23, 2012 at 3:41 am

I love how you've paired green and blue together! Great job!!! Oh, and what a cute coat, love it!
    xoxo

• Annie February 23, 2012 at 3:51 am

I'm really loving the greens lately! Mostly emerald & mint, both of which I don't have in my closet 🙁 Time to pick up some nail polishes for a quick dose! 🙂

• gigiofca February 23, 2012 at 5:24 am

The boots are fierce! I have also shied away from F21 as of late. Time is limited so I can't be bothered w/handwash items!

• Anne February 23, 2012 at 7:48 am

I'm loving all sorts of pastels as of late.
    Of course mint green is popping up everywhere, but I love pastel coral (if there is such a thing) and pastel yellow.

xo Annie

• Candy February 23, 2012 at 8:18 am

So beautiful as always!

• Tina February 23, 2012 at 8:21 am

I'm a May baby and thus my birthstone is the emerald. I've been obsessed with the color for YEARS but it was hard to find. I have been searching for an emerald green coat for a long time and was so sad when I missed that crazy Jcrew sale. I'm happy to see the color is in this spring! You look amazing in the color, which makes me happy since I am also Asian. I'm going to take advantage of how the color is everywhere and stock up this season!

• NeutraKris February 23, 2012 at 8:32 am

I LOVE this coat! I love the emerald shade, too. Very lovely outfit!

• Kate February 23, 2012 at 8:34 am

Beautiful outfit, and yes, this green is much more classic. Great job!

• Tina February 23, 2012 at 8:38 am

your coat is lovely!

• ♥ Natalie February 23, 2012 at 8:44 am

Wooow, pretty! I love this emerald coat ♥

• Bára Rektorová February 23, 2012 at 9:25 am

What an inspiration! I have a problem with green, my skin tone is "olive" so in most shades of green I look green:-) But emerald is one of the few that work.

• Urban Mantra February 23, 2012 at 9:33 am

I really like the color combination of green and brown/cognac! Very classic. I agree with you about the mint – it's a great, spring season color but this shade of green you're wearing is flattering on most people and skin types. Great look! 🙂

• Nelah February 23, 2012 at 9:54 am

Green has never been my choice of color when it comes to clothes but you r post made me think twice. Love the combination of this outfit, quite unusal but lovely.

• Molly February 23, 2012 at 9:55 am

This is my hands-down favorite look of yours.

• Natasha Fatah February 23, 2012 at 10:03 am

Beautiful looks all around Jean! You look amazing!

xoxo

• Karmela February 23, 2012 at 10:20 am

I definitely love the color combinations here a lot more than your pairing of the B&W; gingham shirt/black jacket/brown boots with the camel skirt.

• Leslie Moo February 23, 2012 at 10:41 am

Jean, I love the color combo. It looks fantastic on you. I've been trying to get away from my usual black and grey ensembles. Now I am cursing myself for not buying that J Crew coat when I had the opportunity. Oh well, c'est la vie. :/

• marisabel r. February 23, 2012 at 10:49 am

I'm loving the tangerine orange for spring. Although pastels are sweet, I am more of a bright color kind of person.

• uponbluemoon February 23, 2012 at 10:56 am

Love this outfit! I do have a question about wearing blazers underneath winter coats. Do you buy coats with enough room to accommodate blazers? If so, does it feel too loose if there's no blazer underneath? I feel most of my peacoats are not big enough to fit blazers underneath, but if I go up a size, they'll be too big. I'd love to hear your opinions on this!
    Thanks,
    Annabelle

• Anonymous February 23, 2012 at 10:58 am

I'm sure your boyfriend is happy you will not purchase anything from f21 lol

• Tina February 23, 2012 at 11:21 am

I love that H&M; blouse in both the green and the cream color but too bad I can't find it at my local stores. I have the lady day coat in the plum color in size 0 but unfortunately the sleeves are shorter than what I would have liked it. It was a good price but still sitting in my closet untouched and I'm still debating on what to do with it.

• Satin And Salt February 23, 2012 at 11:22 am

Okay two things we have in common…. not wearing too much from forever 21 and I also prefer emerald green over the mint. Mint may be showing up on my nail polish or other small inexpensive goods but if I decide to buy green this year I'll be choosing an emerald shade that will withstand the test of seasons.

-Nico

• Sara Campbell February 23, 2012 at 11:43 am

Love the layers!! Great colors too, I love that shade of green too 🙂
    Xo,
    Sara Campbell
    ^Follow the link to our blog for all things chic, fabulous, fun, and Sara Campbell!

• Love and Company February 23, 2012 at 12:01 pm

The colors look absolutely amazing on you! Love tnat shade of green with the blue. What a great combo!

Love your blog!

xoxo

• hyuni February 23, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Love the emerald/navy. The photos are looking very professional! Consider Love Culture as a replacement for F21.

• My Dressy Ways February 23, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Love the green and blue together. Now I see why you decided to return the emerald green dress. I didn't realize you had so many green pieces!

• Anonymous February 23, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I think turquaze will be nice for spring!

• Ping February 23, 2012 at 1:16 pm

haha i do love that belt! btw there's a new f21 with 3 story that just opened in SF…so there's 2 f21 within 2 blocks of each other that are 3 story…i made tim go with me of course. lol

• Fashion Blawger February 23, 2012 at 1:29 pm

This is a little random, but did you recently get a haircut? Your ends look so healthy! And geez, you sure can make H&M; look expensive! The JCrew jacket really elevates the blouse to look like silk 😉

A Preponderance of Fashion

• Petite February 23, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I really like your coat 🙂

• DSK Steph February 23, 2012 at 1:40 pm

You need to be in J.Crew's catalog! Gorgeous pairings. 🙂 Love the colors schemes!

• dietingfashions February 23, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Lots of pastels in the air! I still see lots of polka dots and zippers as statement pieces rather than for versatility.

I see emerald and mustard being trendy from spring to fall.

Helen

• Anonymous February 23, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Absolutely LOVE the emerald and navy together! Never would have though of it!

• contrary kiwi February 23, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I definitely think that mint should be worn only by a few people (if they're trying to look good, that is. If they're not, wear away!). I personally greatly prefer emerald or forest green (or almost any other green, really).

Unfortunately we're heading into winter right now so no spring colours for me 🙁 However, I refuse to be a typical Kiwi and spend my winter swathed in black and grey. I'm really enjoying a palette of mustard, navy, forest green and other rich, dark colours at the moment, so I'll wear them a lot this winter I think.

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) February 23, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I actually never thought to pair navy with emerald but it goes beautifully together!

• Annapurna February 23, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Very pretty Jean. I often pair navy with moss green and love the combo.

Good call to keep that blouse and get rid of the dress – the blouse is a versatile way to get your emerald fix and can be used in many different outfits. Interesting how many different retailers came out with emerald items last season (the J Crew coat and H&M; blouse practically match) – reminds me of Meryl Streep's speech in the Devil Wears Prada about how colors chosen by high end designers end up trickling down to everyone.

• newpetite February 23, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Gorgeous colors! I feel the same way about F21 too..

• E February 23, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I absolutely love the green! It's a shame I haven't seen those blouses at my local H&M;.

• Anonymous February 23, 2012 at 10:23 pm
  • Anonymous February 24, 2012 at 1:21 am

We have the same type of legs…slightly bowed and short…are there certain thing you avoid wearing because of the shape of your legs?I was always told to avoid skinny jean, but I still wear them,,

• Vivian February 24, 2012 at 2:43 am

Ever since I started reading your blog, I have NEVER shopped at F21 ever again because of their sizing and trendy stuff. I have been very cautious with them. And haven't bought a thing since. I used to think it was the best place because they can get kinda pricey and everything looked so good since I knew about other PETITE places. On a side note, I have never thought tights looked good, but you gave me ideas! (= Great pairing!

• Anonymous February 24, 2012 at 2:49 am

hi jean! first time posting – been catching up on your blogs (i'm at august of 2010 now – going backwards) and you are sooo engaging. so is nick! always a treat learning new tricks and tips from you. anyway, i noticed that you always mention ebates, but have you heard of evreward.com? when you type in the store name, it'll give you ALL the cashback reward sites available as well as which one gives the most cash back. for example, while ebates may give 7.5% at, say, endless.com, mrrebates.com is giving 10%. (i do not work for evreward.com – i just use it a lot!) that's all. keep up the great bloggin'!

• Anonymous February 24, 2012 at 5:00 am

I agree the green top + green coat is a bit much, but the jacket + top + skirt combo is very nice. I've been wanting to have something mint green for a long time now but have not found anything that suits my skintone, then one day I tried on a top in a shade similar to your top and I was sold 😀 Just love that colour. Gotta try your colour combo sometime.

• Tais Oliveira February 24, 2012 at 6:24 am

Olá Look Lindo!

Parabéns pelo Blog!

Beijos

Taís

• Lisa Ng February 24, 2012 at 9:58 am

Great color. I'm going to try to find some! As for F21, their accessories aren't half bad.

• happilyfull February 24, 2012 at 1:49 pm

absolutely stunning! love your coat!!!

• Anonymous February 24, 2012 at 5:49 pm

hi Jean, I can see how much you like the warm cognac color of that H&M; clutch. I notice you use it alot when putting together many outfits. My question is (sorry that it is not related to this post at all) do you find the black classic chanel M/L bag versatile? If you have to pick either one, which one would you rather keep: the WOC or classic bag? and why

• AimfullyAims February 24, 2012 at 8:27 pm

The cognac accents look lovely against your emerald shirt and coat. Your post has made me realized that I don't have any emerald colored clothes…see how I am justifying a future shopping spree 😉

• Joy February 24, 2012 at 11:36 pm

you know you look very nature-y. the browns – earth, greens – land, and blues – sea. it all goes together very well.

• PetiteAsianGirl February 24, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Definitely the classic flap! The WOC is a nice little clutch for evening but it doesn't hold very much. A big complaint I have about the WOC is that the snap button can fall open if you fill the bag up too much, whereas a turnlock closure will always stay shut. I use my black classic flap all the time, but the WOC only as a clutch these days.

• PetiteAsianGirl February 24, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Thanks for the tip! It seems like a great idea : )

• PetiteAsianGirl February 24, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Look for a good fit in the shoulders, because that's the most complicated/priciest alteration. Sleeves can be shortened, and sometimes torsos can be slimmed. Also make sure the length is not too long on you because that's something else that I don't get altered. H&M;, LOFT, and Theory are three different places where you can find petite-friendly blazers at various price points (listed from low to high).

• Anonymous February 24, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Thanks Jean! Have a great weekend

• PetiteAsianGirl February 24, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Well, a little bit of both – one piece shrunk ridiculously after 1 wash & dry and it looks like a toddler's top now. The others are all a little too big and/or don't flatter me, but I bought them regardless because they seemed cheap and trendy at the time.

• PetiteAsianGirl February 24, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Hi Annabelle – I don't intentionally buy coats to fit blazers underneath. I'd like my coats to fit snugger but this is the smallest size available. Whenever I'm wearing extra layers, I know I'll just have to wear my roomier coats. You should stick with your normal size and maybe carry your blazer in your purse, or just "suffer" a little with a tighter than usual jacket until you get to your destination.

• PetiteAsianGirl February 25, 2012 at 12:01 am

Lovely! I really want to get these slightly similar earrings (only $12) but I don't want to pay for shipping … http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID;=1e05069&cat;=all+fashion+jewelry&pcat;=JewelrY+++watches&catid;=83560&pcatid;=70737&x5view;=1&cattyp;=RLE&Ne;=4294957900+5+8+1031+964+578+18+1545&NOffset;=0&SO;=0&CatSel;=4294931179|earrings&Nao;=21&N;=229+4294931179&dep;=JewelrY+++watches&SelDim;=4294957900~+8~&deptid;=70737&PSO;=0&bcCat;=3&CmCatId;=70737|83560&sa;=1

• Siri February 25, 2012 at 4:47 am

Wow, what a great color! This color is one of my favorites at the moment. It is just so lovely.

You are very beautiful, and I am a big Norwegian fan. I just discovered your YouTube channel, and you inspire me a lot! Keep up the good work 😀

• pjlatte February 25, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I love this green coat! You look stunning wearing it. The color is amazing.

♥ Pjlatte's Bag Book ♥

• Coffee Cream and the Caffeine February 26, 2012 at 9:59 am

Love that green coat dear ! Love ur outfit 🙂

• Suzie Q February 26, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Hi Jean, I love your blog. I love your classic chic style, inspiring me for my work outfits too =) You seem like such a sweet person. I've been inspired to start my own blog and I'd love for your support =) xoxo

Suzie Q

• xJOLE February 26, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Love the look and texture of the blazer!

• B well put together February 26, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Great outfit!!! very classic.

• Sarees February 27, 2012 at 3:49 am

I love how you find items that fit your shape! Great outfit..

• Jagiri February 27, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I really love the mix of these colours! Inspiring.

ididtellyou.blogspot.com

• 6 o'clock Inspiration February 28, 2012 at 7:54 pm

wow the emerald coat is gorgeous!!
    I absolutely love this outfit!
    So well put together!
    check out my blog and follow me!

• psychelyn February 29, 2012 at 12:19 am

Glad I found your blog, I'm petite and I always have problem with sizes when shopping. I hope I could get some ideas and tips from you 🙂

• Annabelle March 2, 2012 at 12:25 pm

That strip of navy peeking out between the coat and the shirt is great! I've been loving that combination for spring too — there's a Marc by Marc Jacobs clutch in just those colors that I have my eye on…

• Naz March 9, 2012 at 2:00 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.