Navy and Emerald

greenongreen4
greenongreen5

J.Crew Lady Day Coat sz 00P in “oasis green,”  H&M; blouse, blazer & clutch, Yesstyle skirt
Adrienne Vittadini boots, Target girls tights, Amrita Singh necklace, F21 belt, MK Tortoise watch

This ensemble was from my 2011 J.Crew lady day coat review post – I just forgot to post the outfit underneath. Despite your encouraging words to keep the H&M; emerald dress, I wasn’t too sad to part with it as I’ve already overindulged in the color. This shade of green is flattering on many skin tones and easy to pair. It can be elegant or preppy, depending on what you do with it.
greenongreen3

greenongreen
For this simple weekend outfit, I went the preppy route with touches of warm cognac brown, deep navy, and stripes. This old striped belt is one of my favorite finds from Forever 21 (even though the diaper-like shorts they came with have been condemned). Looking back on my post from 1 year ago, I realize that most of my purchases from there have never seen the light of day. It makes me think twice before spending money again at F21.
greenongreen2

Readers – What colors are you loving for Spring? Mint is everywhere, but this shade of green seems more universally flattering & classic.

91 thoughts on “Navy and Emerald

• Anonymous February 22, 2012 at 11:04 pm

wow the first comment!!!!! i love you , Jean!

• Anonymous February 22, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I wouldn't wear a green coat over a green top. Thats too much.

• Anonymous February 22, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I miss reading your blogs! I know you're busy and I understand. My husband said I'm addicted to you..LOL… but it's because you're so inspiring! Keep up the great work. I love greens on you. You look beautiful as always!

• Jessica Cai February 22, 2012 at 11:07 pm

I'm a petite girl too and I love how you find items that fit your shape! Great outfit 🙂

• Lainey February 22, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Love the pairing Jean! The green is gorgeous on you!

• Work Hard, Stay Humble February 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm

mint is definitely in, but i've always preferred forrest/emerald green over mint. Spring color wise, i've been really into red orange, especially when the material is chiffon.
    Btw I really like your outfit in last photo with just the blazer over. Very simple/elegant.

• Meek February 22, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Jean I've been so inspired by your love of an emerald or kelly green that I'm determined to add more of that color to my closet. In the winter I am closer to your color (I'm Vietnamese), so thanks for showing me how to wear it!

For spring, I am loving a good coral, since I turn a deeper tan. I think it would look fabulous on you too!

xo

• Vicky February 22, 2012 at 11:14 pm

The green, navy, camel, cognac are so well put together. Love the ensemble. I've been trying to find a camel mini, but with no luck. Please keep your eyes peeled for me. 🙂
    It's a great idea to look back 1 year and reflect what has worked and what hasn't. F21 purchases for me hasn't been the most lasting ones, so lesson learned.
    Congrats on your new job. Hope to see you this weekend.

• Jackie February 22, 2012 at 11:19 pm

This outfit looks so chic! Emerald really does look good on you.

I know this is so two years ago, but I'm really falling in love with yellow again at the moment =D

• Anonymous February 22, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Love the colors! I'm 5'0.75" … haha. Can you shed some insight on good blazers that fit petites and what to look for? thanks!

Kimberly
    drlovesnerd.tumblr.com

• Yunstation February 22, 2012 at 11:32 pm
  • With Each Passing Day February 22, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Love the ensemble. The colors work so well together. I am looking to add more green to my wardrobe. =)

• Genie February 23, 2012 at 12:00 am

I love that shade of green against your skin tone! I'd have to say I'm really excited for the creme pinks and purples. I'd also like to try out some coral pieces, they feel like an echo of neon to me.

xoxo,
    Genie

• littlemissandrea February 23, 2012 at 12:02 am

Beautiful colours, Jean! I've always found emerald green to be universally flattering. Although I am really loving mint & coral this season, the emerald green is much easier to wear year round compared to those other two shades. Love the outfit as always!

• Mia M. February 23, 2012 at 12:03 am

I'm a new Yorker whose afraid of color. I would wear a pop of color of something but not a bright coat

• Janine A February 23, 2012 at 12:07 am

I agree, this is a much more flattering color than mint green. The blue and green go so well together!! Great shots as usual 🙂

• Victoria February 23, 2012 at 12:08 am

Love this green. It's a great bold color and looks perfect with navy blue. Boots are way cute too.

xoxo,

Victoria

• SIENA.STYLE February 23, 2012 at 12:15 am

you look so pretty

• Petite-ish February 23, 2012 at 12:16 am

I've been obsessed with whites/creams lately, although I'm not really saving it for spring haha. Its too bad about the F21 items never seeing the light of day :-/ I hate when that happens! Maybe you can sell them or give them away. It always makes me feel good when I can find a cousin or friend to whom I can give an item that I'd spent good money on, but then never wore.

• SS February 23, 2012 at 12:55 am

Love green & navy combination. Navy jacket worked really well with that green. I'm thinking to get some pastel color for spring!

• Benjamin + Trang February 23, 2012 at 1:20 am

Love the Emerald on you…it looks great! For my transition into spring, I've been really into this yellow color called tobacco… I'm obsessed! Thanks for posting!

-Trang

• Anonymous February 23, 2012 at 1:42 am

Curious as to why the F21 items never see the light of day – passing trends? lack of quality?

• GiuliaC_Sparkly Fashion February 23, 2012 at 3:41 am

I love how you've paired green and blue together! Great job!!! Oh, and what a cute coat, love it!
    xoxo

• Annie February 23, 2012 at 3:51 am

I'm really loving the greens lately! Mostly emerald & mint, both of which I don't have in my closet 🙁 Time to pick up some nail polishes for a quick dose! 🙂

• gigiofca February 23, 2012 at 5:24 am

The boots are fierce! I have also shied away from F21 as of late. Time is limited so I can't be bothered w/handwash items!

• Anne February 23, 2012 at 7:48 am

I'm loving all sorts of pastels as of late.
    Of course mint green is popping up everywhere, but I love pastel coral (if there is such a thing) and pastel yellow.

xo Annie

• Candy February 23, 2012 at 8:18 am

So beautiful as always!

• Tina February 23, 2012 at 8:21 am

I'm a May baby and thus my birthstone is the emerald. I've been obsessed with the color for YEARS but it was hard to find. I have been searching for an emerald green coat for a long time and was so sad when I missed that crazy Jcrew sale. I'm happy to see the color is in this spring! You look amazing in the color, which makes me happy since I am also Asian. I'm going to take advantage of how the color is everywhere and stock up this season!

• NeutraKris February 23, 2012 at 8:32 am

I LOVE this coat! I love the emerald shade, too. Very lovely outfit!

• Kate February 23, 2012 at 8:34 am

Beautiful outfit, and yes, this green is much more classic. Great job!

• Tina February 23, 2012 at 8:38 am

your coat is lovely!

• ♥ Natalie February 23, 2012 at 8:44 am

Wooow, pretty! I love this emerald coat ♥

• Bára Rektorová February 23, 2012 at 9:25 am

What an inspiration! I have a problem with green, my skin tone is "olive" so in most shades of green I look green:-) But emerald is one of the few that work.

• Urban Mantra February 23, 2012 at 9:33 am

I really like the color combination of green and brown/cognac! Very classic. I agree with you about the mint – it's a great, spring season color but this shade of green you're wearing is flattering on most people and skin types. Great look! 🙂

• Nelah February 23, 2012 at 9:54 am

Green has never been my choice of color when it comes to clothes but you r post made me think twice. Love the combination of this outfit, quite unusal but lovely.

• Molly February 23, 2012 at 9:55 am

This is my hands-down favorite look of yours.

• Natasha Fatah February 23, 2012 at 10:03 am

Beautiful looks all around Jean! You look amazing!

xoxo

• Karmela February 23, 2012 at 10:20 am

I definitely love the color combinations here a lot more than your pairing of the B&W; gingham shirt/black jacket/brown boots with the camel skirt.

• Leslie Moo February 23, 2012 at 10:41 am

Jean, I love the color combo. It looks fantastic on you. I've been trying to get away from my usual black and grey ensembles. Now I am cursing myself for not buying that J Crew coat when I had the opportunity. Oh well, c'est la vie. :/

• marisabel r. February 23, 2012 at 10:49 am

I'm loving the tangerine orange for spring. Although pastels are sweet, I am more of a bright color kind of person.