Barcelona Part I & Petite Fashion Challenge #11: Vacation Vogue

I am starting my Barcelona photo journal in conjunction with this month’s Petite Fashion Challenge, hosted by SkiPetite. Please visit her blog to see the other ladies’ outfits.

The challenge: “Put together an outfit made for sightseeing. It should be one that will be comfortable for walking around in and can last you from the early morning until dinner and drinks in the evening.”

How convenient! Instead of posting just one outfit, I’ll share how this habitual underpacker had to stretch a handful of garments over several days. I brought one of each: blouse, sweater, skirt, jacket, shorts, pants, bag, and scarf.
barcelona17
Thrifted skirt, H&M; pants, BR bag, Gap neon sweater & nude blouse (similar), Missoni scarf, Topshop jacket
barcelona2

Left: Super tender octopus in a potato puree – so good. Right: A satchel of cheese atop heirloom tomato salad.

barcelona4

Best ever tuna tartare w/ avocado and roe.
barcelona7

Colorful macarons at Mickey D’s.

barcelona5

All the MNG by MANGO campaign bloggers, plus jcpenney ladies.
barcelona15
Top: Freshly baked bread with oil, tomatoes & raw garlic to rub on. Bottom: Scrumptious scallops w/ prosciutto.
barcelona3 Early evening sangria with Lilliana, Sydne and Carmen.
barcelona1
Lefties – Zara’s outlet store chain, where I finally found a kelly green blazer.

barcelona18

Disclosure: This trip was sponsored by Style Coalition and jcpenney.

55 thoughts on “Barcelona Part I & Petite Fashion Challenge #11: Vacation Vogue

• Michelle October 25, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Wow!! You really do underpack! I like to underpack because it forces me to buy something new from wherever I am. So I have a memory and new clothes! πŸ™‚

All you ladies look stunning! I love your scarf so much!

And yum!! Glad you had such great food experiences! πŸ™‚

• Anna October 25, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I loved Barcelona when I visited last spring- the Hermes and Burberry stores were to die for (I bought nothing considering it's much cheaper in the US). Your photo diary looks great – I'm glad you had fun! What was your favorite part?

• Really Petite October 25, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I don't know how you managed to pack so light- hats off to you! I always bring several suitcases when traveling overseas…LOL

• easy petite looks October 25, 2011 at 8:10 pm

yum, i love food! barcelona is so fun, seeing the pics makes me want to go back! Such lovely pics πŸ™‚

• Ski Petite October 25, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I have been telling myself I need to pay less when traveling because I usually end up wearing my faves more than once and then not wearing one or two outfits anyways.

Your pics are so fun to look at. I just added you to my post. Thanks for partaking in the challenge!

• quite contrary October 25, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Wow, that's impressive. I can't imagine taking so little clothing anywhere. I always take at least a week's worth even when I go away for a weekend – and then I wear the same thing the whole time!

How many days were you away for?

• Alterations Needed October 25, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Ohhh…Barcelona looks beautiful!!! I don't know how you wear skirts and shorts barelegged in fall. I get cold when I do that in summer! You all look so chic and I'm excited to see the rest of your photos! And yay for Missoni scarves! πŸ™‚

• R.L. October 25, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Love the simplicity of your packing and how you didn't sacrifice style. You are amazing at mixing and matching! My fav outfit is hands down the thrifted skirt with the Missoni scarf. I know you said you wanted more orange, but I think the colors in it are just right. Can't wait to see more pics! And so cool that there were other petites there too!

• PetiteLittleGirl October 25, 2011 at 8:36 pm

You already know that I am definitely not a light-packer, I had a bag full of stuff when I visited Boston. I need to do better with my next trip.

You ladies look gorgeous. Barcelona is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing your pictures, Jean. Can't wait to see more.

P.S: Mickey d's sell macarons? So unfair!

• Stylepint October 25, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Love this travel diary, you always look so chic and polished! Way to go! =)

• Mary Ann October 25, 2011 at 8:41 pm

All the food looks delicious – esp. the tuna!

• kileen October 25, 2011 at 8:41 pm

wow, you're so good at underpacking! i have the opposite problem and definitely need to learn how you do it! and those scallops look so delicious! can't wait to see the kelly green blazer. πŸ™‚

• Sydne October 25, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Gorgeous photos! So much fun πŸ™‚

• CynthiaC October 25, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Jean, you really need to teach me how to pack lightly! I always end up taking too much…maybe something for a future post??? πŸ™‚

• Vivian October 25, 2011 at 9:03 pm

You always stand out to me! (= The best ensembles!
    I notice your purse fits you fell, doesn't look like it will eat you up or anything… Can you maybe do a blog about finding the right size purse/totes for petites? I love bags but my friends used to tell me alot that my bags look like I am able to fit inside it. And I think maybe my big totes make me look smaller. Help?!

• AubreyOhDang! October 25, 2011 at 9:06 pm

look at how your neon sweater just pops in that group pic!

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) October 25, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Wow way to pack Jean I'm super impressed! Were you cold at all? All the other ladies look more bundled up LOL! Looks like you're having a fabulous time and Zara has an outlet store?!? So cool!

(Just realized the strategy with the under packing – you can shop more and bring more home! LOL!)

• Ella Pretty Blog October 25, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Lovely pictures! I can't get over the Macarons at McDonalds!!! Your Missoni scarf looks amazing paired with all your outfits.

• Vicheka Im October 25, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I love your sense of style, so classy and chic!

check out my blog if you want ideas for a Halloween costume for less than $20!

• Ellie October 25, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Wow that is impressive!!! I always over pack! Youre thrifted skirt outfit is so cute! what a great find!

Ellie

• The Little Dust Princess October 25, 2011 at 10:09 pm

omg you're in a skirt and the rest of the girls look so bundled up! Love how you only brought one of each with you. It really forces you to think about how to pair these items to make it all look diff!

• Cee October 25, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I so enjoy your vacation pics, and these are no exception! All you ladies look great and the food = YUM. Speaking of places to eat at, would you mind sharing some recs? My parents are actually in Barcelona for the next week or so and I have a feeling they'd be looking for the nearest Chinese or McDs practically every meal, lol.

• maggie October 25, 2011 at 10:21 pm

That sounds like so much fun! You really did underpack, but you managed to make every outfit look original. All the food you ate looks delicious, I'd love to try the tuna tartar or the bread~

xx maggie

• DSK Steph October 25, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Macaroons! <3 Barcelona sounds like so much fun! Lots of good eats -- yum!

• LorraineNpopo October 25, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Love your handbag!!! Very pretty~ =) Sorry it might sound stupid, but BR stands for??

• Lauren October 25, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I am floored with your ability to bring so few clothes and still make each outfit look so new and chic. Teach me your ways….

• Petite and Hungry October 25, 2011 at 11:43 pm

you look absolutely gorgeous in every picture!! and the food looks soooo yummy!

• lin October 25, 2011 at 11:51 pm

jean, you've got great packing abilities. i am really impressed you're able to make several different outfits with just a few garments…..and the food looks delish. thanks for sharing! πŸ™‚

• JJ October 25, 2011 at 11:51 pm

And I thought I was an underpacker! You put me to shame…I'm so impressed with how you stretched such few items into such well put-together looks!

• Rainy Days and Lattes October 25, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Beautiful photos! πŸ™‚

• girly girl October 26, 2011 at 12:16 am

I'm amazed at how you can wear shorts and mini skirt with bare legs in the fall season! I would freeze to death! love how you mix and match your clothes!

• SewPetiteGal October 26, 2011 at 12:38 am

WOOOOOWWWWW! You are the queen of remixing – amazing job, Jean! I'm bookmarking this for future reference!

• Tiff October 26, 2011 at 1:40 am

great post! I think this is my favorite from you so far πŸ™‚ I definitely need some pointers on how not to over pack.

• girly girl October 26, 2011 at 1:42 am

btw, I just recently discovered sample sale sites. which ones would you recommend? thanks jean

• newpetite October 26, 2011 at 1:49 am

Gorgeous you and awesome packing!Hope I can be a wizard next time I pack πŸ™‚

• Jen October 26, 2011 at 3:01 am

You are genius at remixing Jean! I can't believe you only brought one of each – amazing. And Macarons at MICKEY D'S?! Insanity!! They actually look good too haha! I also never knew Lefties was Zara's outlet. Darn… definitely missed out in Barcelona next time. Anyway, I can't wait to see the rest of your photos as I am sure they will be just as jealousy inducing as this one was πŸ˜‰

xox
    Jen

• Kiwi October 26, 2011 at 4:51 am

You girls all look amazing in your outfits.
    The challenge sounds really fun… but comfy means swapping heels for flats… D=

• Elle October 26, 2011 at 9:02 am

I am impressed by your ability to pack light…I am well known (within my circle of friends and family) to pack three suitcases for a weekend trip.

Barcelona looked like a blast, can't wait to see part II.

p.s. so jealous that you get to go to a ZARA OUTLET. Is the green jacket you got the same one seen on a few bloggers? http://lookbook.nu/look/1758206-Green-and-nude-plus-Valentino-bag-and-shoes

• Nelah October 26, 2011 at 9:52 am

I need to learn how to be a minimalist when it comes to packing. You should do a post on how to choose items, pack light and be stylish…please.

These photos from Barcelona look awesome.

• grace October 26, 2011 at 10:25 am

Love these photos Jean – and look at that food! Makes me drool!! It looks kinda cool there in Barcelona with you guys all bundled up!

I'm a minimalist packer as well, but not a very fashionable minimal packer. I wore clunky black waterproof walking shoes, black pants and a black rain jacket ha last time I went to Europe πŸ˜€ Also had to wash some of my clothes too. How many days did you go for? Did you wash any of your garments while you were there?