Fall Dressing: Neon, wool, and faux fur

neonwool

Sweater: Gap dolman-sleeve sweater (similar)
Vest: H&M; Divided sz 2 ($29.95, current)  Skirt: thrifted and hemmed
Bag: H&M; Divided, Pearls: Nordstrom Rack S (similar) Watch: Michael Kors JetSet

I woke up today, shivering, to a brisk 49 degree morning. Where is the mild 65-70 degree “Fall” weather that allows for donning light layers while sipping cider and watching the leaves turn? I wore this today (with a tee layered underneath) and was still cold and Rudolph-nosed. I just don’t want to give in to tights yet.
neonwool1

Low heels: Aldo (old) (similar here in “Natural”)

Today’s outfit combines three elements that I’m embracing this Fall – color, textures, and faux fur. This vest is very shrunken fit in sz 2 because it’s from the juniors “Divided” line, and I really wanted to swap it for a sz 4 for more frontal coverage. Nick vehemently protested, saying there was a “subtle but noticeable” difference from the back view, and that sz 4 looked like a fur backpack on me. Alas, I’m still with the 2.
neonwool3A splash of neon from this Gap dolman-sleeve Sweater prevents my outfit from veering into full neutral, monochromatic territory. I have enough mustard yellow, but this eye-catching color is different from anything I own. I also love the comfy, slouchy fit – just have to be careful not to snag the material.

neonwool4

And oh, do you recall this wool skirt from earlier this week? : )

neonwool2

78 thoughts on “Fall Dressing: Neon, wool, and faux fur

• Carmen September 18, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Hi, you look great always! Just wondering what hair products you are using.

• Carrie L September 18, 2011 at 5:35 pm

lol…great job on the skirt. looks amazing!

• Shannon leigh September 18, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Love how you incorporate some of your work separates into your casual outfits — shows how you can make your closet go a mile! I have a question regarding the H&M; wool skirt, would you wear that one or this one you converted DIY to work in the fall/winter? Or do you think it is too short? Could it be appropriate if you wear black opaque tights? Would you wear flats with it to make it more work appropriate? I work in a business casual office… lastly, I picked up the h&m; camel color skirt and am wondering how to get rid of the crease down the front (from them folding them for display at the store). Do you suggest ironing inside-out? Thanks, Jean!

• Chocolate, Cookies & Candies September 18, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I've been looking for a faux fur vest since last year. I found one at Zara Kids but I'll check out the H & M one featured in this post.

• curvypetite September 18, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I gotta say I don't like the faux fur for casual use, heck even some office settings! Yet you pull it off great!

• R.L. September 18, 2011 at 7:13 pm

LOL @ the comment about going from lil bo peep to chic! I would have never have thought to incorporate neon green into a fall outfit, but the slouchiness works so well with the vest and mini! Even w/o seeing the vest in sz 4, I think you made the right choice with the 2. Most fur vests are made rather large and clunky even on non-petites. But I really like the shrunken fit on you and I think it makes it more versatile for what you can wear underneath it.

BTW, are you wearing 2 necklaces? I'm on a hunt for a multi-strand pearl necklace with diff sized pearls. I saw a Kenneth Cole one at Nordstrom Rack that even incorporated chain links.

• Canadianpetite September 19, 2011 at 1:42 am

So stylish, Jean! Love the punchy color of the sweater. I just watched your tut for the hair and it sure adds to your whole look. You're very good at thrifting and seeing the potential in items.

• Laura Frost September 19, 2011 at 10:34 am

Awesome – I love the Amish before and after.

• JJ September 19, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I love, love, LOVE what you did with the skirt! It inspires me to go thrifting myself, I'll have to find a Savers near me ASAP.

• petiterepublic September 19, 2011 at 1:51 pm

adorable! i think im going to make a wool skirt just like yours, but it would probably still be more expensive!

• Jackie September 19, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Hehe…It's gorgeous here in Philly. I am now in that perfect 65 degree weather ^_^ I LOVE fall.

This outfit is so chic! I just knew the skirt would turn out nice (lol @ the before pic).

I love the one neon piece, it really pops!

• P September 20, 2011 at 10:03 am

I love your sunglasses, where are they from?

• Mae Lu September 20, 2011 at 2:08 pm

From Fraulein Maria or house Frau to New York chic!

I love how you paired it with a faux fur gilet. There's something so chic and unexpected about voluminous faux fur, neon and pearls.

This ensemble is pretty much what I envision whenever I think stylish autumnal garb.

AWESOME. A+ Brill.

xx{ish.},
    Mae Lu @ thereafterish.!

• Samantha September 20, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Um… AMAZING job at the DIY hem on the skirt! I thought you had brought it to the tailor (when you first showed it)! Love your mix of color, texture, fur, and pearls!

xo, sam

P.S. LOL@ the before and after pic!

• gigiofca September 20, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Just genius on the skirt!!! Super cute outfit.

• Katie Maher September 22, 2011 at 12:57 pm

i love your sunglasses? chanel? what style??
    thanks! new follower!
    katie

• PetiteAsianGirl September 22, 2011 at 1:02 pm

@R.L. It's a three-strand necklace from Nordstrom Rack! Recent, around $20 something.

@Katie Maher @P Thank you! They're the Chanel tortoise Wayfarers Style #5182

• Pablo September 22, 2011 at 7:00 pm

You look absolutely stunning…! Love the fur vest =).

• Rainy Days and Lattes September 22, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I just ordered the velcro bump on ebay for 3.99! I can't wait for it to come! 😀

• Rainy Days and Lattes September 22, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Oops, I commented on the wrong post! :p I love the illustration of the pilgrim skirt :p It looks amazing what you did to it after!

• sara September 28, 2011 at 12:30 am

looksfabulous! Can you please do a tutorial on DIY hem?

• Aquarelle Bleue October 22, 2011 at 12:04 pm

This is a great outfit–some fashion trends tend to be styled always as "edgy", such as the faux fur vest and neon-colored items, but you made it look not only very contemporary but classy. This is awesome, thanks for posting.

• dietingfashions October 26, 2011 at 7:38 pm

This outfit looks great on you! I want a faux fur vest, but too bad I can't wear it. I look like an Abominable Snowman in one. I tried last year and I really don't think I can pull it off. But I crave faux fur though.

• cb12a902-1e0c-11e1-8ecc-000bcdcb2996 January 10, 2012 at 9:05 pm

This outfit minus the vest is one of my favorite looks on you! It all works I must have those pearls,been looking for a while, but I will fine some I love. You have a great sense of style. Never feels contrived.

• Anonymous March 14, 2012 at 11:08 am

I think you have an amazing taste in clothes. I love most of the things you wear. You pay attention to detail and the end effect is always great. Keep up the good work gal! x ana

• Wytane April 11, 2012 at 7:02 pm

You look gorgeous as always!

Love, wytane.blogspot.com
    xoxo

• Jenny Mandarin July 5, 2012 at 11:27 am

Awesome. Looks great. Reminds me of Tasha Polizzi clothing. My cousin has done some thing with tasha polizzi clothing. She likes it a lot.

• Emart018 July 25, 2012 at 12:28 am