Accessory Storage: The Belt Ring Hanger

beltring
After going from owning 1 belt to amassing a small collection, my poor mannequin begged me to find a new storage solution. Growing up, I remember toying with my dad’s belt ring and thinking how clever it was. I don’t know what took me so long, but I finally ordered my own from Amazon.

For the ring to be effective, look for a thin ring with the open ends super close to each other, preferably touching (this way the ring can move smoothly through all your other belts as you get to the one you are looking to remove). The open ends on mine are a little too far apart and belts fell off, so I flexed my muscles and did some bending. This one looks like a better alternative with close-together ends.

Readers – how do you organize and store your belts?

77 thoughts on “Accessory Storage: The Belt Ring Hanger

• kileen September 15, 2011 at 12:32 pm

great tip, Jean! i actually have a belt rack thing that i currently use to store all my belts (http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10006850&N;=&Ntt;=tie+rack) but it's getting a little out of hand cause i have so many belt just stacked on top of each other. i think i'm gonna try out this ring hanger!

• Belle Muse September 15, 2011 at 12:33 pm

How do you come up with all these great ideas? haha wow!!

• easy petite looks September 15, 2011 at 12:37 pm

i just throw mine all on a shelf, lol. I used to hang them when i was younger, but have since gotten to lazy :/

• Alterations Needed September 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I've NEVER seen one of those before…so cool! I use a hanging tie holder and drape my scarves and belts over it. Although I've gotten lazy and now my belts are just sitting on a shelf, my dresser, and the floor. 😛

• Alicia September 15, 2011 at 12:59 pm

That's interesting. You could also get an extra-large binder circle ring from the office supply store.

I use a scarf and belt hanger – it has about 8 arms on either side of the middle support for you to drape/hang scarves on and then has several hooks on the bottom for the belt.

• My Dressy Ways September 15, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Reason 3478561463948 why I love your blog! Best tips ever! I've never seen one of these, but will be getting on ASAP. I (try to) keep all my belts on a belt hanger thing that has hooks but the hooks are spaced out far enough for my wider belts so most of them end up on the floor.

• Angie September 15, 2011 at 1:02 pm

oh that's a simple and clever solution!

• myhanh September 15, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I didn't know there were things like this made! I've been using a large loose leaf binder ring that I hang on a nail on the door. I balance it where the clasp opens so that it doesn't undo b/c of the weight of my belts, but it does the job!

• Michelle September 15, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Such a great idea! I was just rolling mine up and stuffing them in a drawer. 🙂 I like yours better. It's funny because I have a smaller ring like that but smaller for all my hairties. 🙂

• xxayeexx September 15, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I acutally have something similar to that!

• AubreyOhDang! September 15, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I strap mine over the closet rod & then place it through the buckle (but not fasten). That way, if I accidentally touch it, it won't just drop to the ground. This takes up more space though, so I only recommend it for bigger closets.

at first, i was looking at this thing and was thinking, "ok…that's still tedious if you want a belt in the middle & you have to take out the ones ahead of it." Til I read and realized you can push it on the other side of the opening to get to the one you want, so that's why you want a closer gap. got it.

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) September 15, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Wow, inexpensive too! Jean I want to see you flex your muscles LOL!!!

• Vilay September 15, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Anonymous said…I got that idea from my mom too! Hahaha
    Great tips always come from great persons as our parents!! lol

• Anonymous September 15, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I'm a huge fan of yours! I'm 5'2" and gave up on shopping completely because I never thought to getting things tailored. Thanks for all the wonderful advice! btw, I think I lived in the same apartment complex as you do! I can just tell by your hardwood flooring and the russian market photo next door to the apartment! 🙂

• jkyw September 15, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I'm amazed! I never knew such things existed. And btw, where did you get that mannequin? I think I need one for 'future' sewing projects.

• J September 15, 2011 at 2:05 pm

belt ring is a good idea! i just put them around a hanger! i love how you have a mannequin you use to put them on!

• Nuha September 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm

great idea! i've actually got all of my hats and belts in a wicker box..this would make it so much easier and funner 🙂

• J-ezzy September 15, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I have 2 hangers where i put the belt's metal hoop onto the hanger hook and one drawer with all the wide belts. I must have that belt ring, I've never seen it before! Thanks for the awesome post!

• SassyUptownChic September 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Usually on a hanger! LOL This is so cool! Thanks for the tip!

SassyUptownChic xoxo Kim

• Cee September 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm

This is one of those inventions that is genius but also makes me scratch my head at the simplicity — duh, why couldn't I come up with that?! Thanks for the tip!

I drape my belts and sashes over a regular hanger right now, but it's kind of a pain to "balance" the heavier items with the lighter so everything stays put.

Does anyone have good storage solutions for sashes? Unfortunately it won't work with this belt ring.

• Pip September 15, 2011 at 2:50 pm

This is the greatest idea ever! How come I never knew of this?! LOL! I am going to be ordering one now too, since I need more space in my closet. 🙂

• thoshebebutlittle September 15, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I don't think I have any belts, TBH. I don't have much of a waist, and despite the conventional wisdom that belts are good on straighter figures they seem to just make me look wider.

I do have quite a few scarves though. They usually spend the cooler months folded in a drawer in my dresser.

• Mary Ann September 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Great idea – I think i need one of these!

• joy September 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm

That's such a genius idea! I currently drape them all on one of the lower rods in our closet. That worked well until I started amassing more belts. Lately there have been a few times where I turned the house upside down searching for "that one belt" only to have it turn up hidden underneath another one in the closet. I'm so buying one of those belt rings.

• thegoodgirlgoneblog.com September 15, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I think I need this. The bf just built me a great closet, but I still have a few things lying around that just won't go on the shelves/hanging areas. This should help get all my belts off the floor…

• FP September 15, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I was actually searching for a belt hanger, one that I don't have to stack belts on top of each other and was trying to create one my self using shower curtain rings. This is a great idea. I wish there was some sort of a clip or a fastener though to fill the gap, so that it would be possible to remove the exact belt by simply turning it around. I am searching my brain for an alternative everyday ring with a fastener for a DIY. Would probably be able to hang it on a normal hook right?

• Evelyn September 15, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Where'd you get your mannequin? And that is a very innovative idea, thanks!

• Anonymous September 15, 2011 at 3:39 pm

hey jean, what makeup brushes do u use?

• Anonymous September 15, 2011 at 3:46 pm
  • R.L. September 15, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Yay, your tips are always simple but soo helpful! I used to just hang my belts the way I hang my hangers but this would put dents/distort my fake leather belts. This is a nice way to showcase your collection too, though I kinda like them on your dress form too.

• tiffyama September 15, 2011 at 4:04 pm

What a great way to store your belts! Looks really cute too. :]

• DSK Steph September 15, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I've never heard of this belt ring until now! 😀

• Anonymous September 15, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Nice.
    BTW Jean, can you have a session to talk about how to style with a belt?

• katattack2000 September 15, 2011 at 5:04 pm

This is such a great idea 🙂 I normally just hang them from my wardrobe on little hooks.

• lin September 15, 2011 at 5:19 pm

jean, this is a great idea. i normally hang my belts on a belt rack but now that i have collected quite a few, they keep falling off the rack. i'm going to have to find myself one of these rings. thanks!

• FashionFreak/Mihaela September 15, 2011 at 5:24 pm

i love this! awesome 😀

my blog♥mfashionfreak

• littlenashua September 15, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I recently saw a nifty belt and scarf hanger at Bed Bath and Beyond that I want, but in the meantime I actually keep the belts attached to the little hanging thing that they are on when you buy them in the store. I have 9 belts and they were all purchased in 3 packs from places like Forever 21 and Charlotte Russe. Both stores have the belts hanging from a small plastic hook. I keep them on that hook and then attach the hook to another coat hanger that my scarves are on.

• Petite and Hungry September 15, 2011 at 5:52 pm
  • NeutraKris September 15, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I use a hanging rack I purchased from Walmart. It has two sides with 5 slots each that you can string your belt to – it also double as a tie rack!

• richa September 15, 2011 at 6:05 pm

in a big coach box i got a purse in… its glossy so it looks nice on a shelf and its roomy enough so i can see all of them in it. neat enough to cover the lid also.