Accessory Storage: The Belt Ring Hanger

beltring
After going from owning 1 belt to amassing a small collection, my poor mannequin begged me to find a new storage solution. Growing up, I remember toying with my dad’s belt ring and thinking how clever it was. I don’t know what took me so long, but I finally ordered my own from Amazon.

For the ring to be effective, look for a thin ring with the open ends super close to each other, preferably touching (this way the ring can move smoothly through all your other belts as you get to the one you are looking to remove). The open ends on mine are a little too far apart and belts fell off, so I flexed my muscles and did some bending. This one looks like a better alternative with close-together ends.

Readers – how do you organize and store your belts?

77 thoughts on “Accessory Storage: The Belt Ring Hanger

• kileen September 15, 2011 at 12:32 pm

great tip, Jean! i actually have a belt rack thing that i currently use to store all my belts (http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10006850&N;=&Ntt;=tie+rack) but it's getting a little out of hand cause i have so many belt just stacked on top of each other. i think i'm gonna try out this ring hanger!

• Belle Muse September 15, 2011 at 12:33 pm

How do you come up with all these great ideas? haha wow!!

• easy petite looks September 15, 2011 at 12:37 pm

i just throw mine all on a shelf, lol. I used to hang them when i was younger, but have since gotten to lazy :/

• Alterations Needed September 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I've NEVER seen one of those before…so cool! I use a hanging tie holder and drape my scarves and belts over it. Although I've gotten lazy and now my belts are just sitting on a shelf, my dresser, and the floor. 😛

• Alicia September 15, 2011 at 12:59 pm

That's interesting. You could also get an extra-large binder circle ring from the office supply store.

I use a scarf and belt hanger – it has about 8 arms on either side of the middle support for you to drape/hang scarves on and then has several hooks on the bottom for the belt.

• My Dressy Ways September 15, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Reason 3478561463948 why I love your blog! Best tips ever! I've never seen one of these, but will be getting on ASAP. I (try to) keep all my belts on a belt hanger thing that has hooks but the hooks are spaced out far enough for my wider belts so most of them end up on the floor.

• Angie September 15, 2011 at 1:02 pm

oh that's a simple and clever solution!

• myhanh September 15, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I didn't know there were things like this made! I've been using a large loose leaf binder ring that I hang on a nail on the door. I balance it where the clasp opens so that it doesn't undo b/c of the weight of my belts, but it does the job!

• Michelle September 15, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Such a great idea! I was just rolling mine up and stuffing them in a drawer. 🙂 I like yours better. It's funny because I have a smaller ring like that but smaller for all my hairties. 🙂

• xxayeexx September 15, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I acutally have something similar to that!

• AubreyOhDang! September 15, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I strap mine over the closet rod & then place it through the buckle (but not fasten). That way, if I accidentally touch it, it won't just drop to the ground. This takes up more space though, so I only recommend it for bigger closets.

at first, i was looking at this thing and was thinking, "ok…that's still tedious if you want a belt in the middle & you have to take out the ones ahead of it." Til I read and realized you can push it on the other side of the opening to get to the one you want, so that's why you want a closer gap. got it.

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) September 15, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Wow, inexpensive too! Jean I want to see you flex your muscles LOL!!!

• Vilay September 15, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Anonymous said…I got that idea from my mom too! Hahaha
    Great tips always come from great persons as our parents!! lol

• Anonymous September 15, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I'm a huge fan of yours! I'm 5'2" and gave up on shopping completely because I never thought to getting things tailored. Thanks for all the wonderful advice! btw, I think I lived in the same apartment complex as you do! I can just tell by your hardwood flooring and the russian market photo next door to the apartment! 🙂

• jkyw September 15, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I'm amazed! I never knew such things existed. And btw, where did you get that mannequin? I think I need one for 'future' sewing projects.

• J September 15, 2011 at 2:05 pm

belt ring is a good idea! i just put them around a hanger! i love how you have a mannequin you use to put them on!

• Nuha September 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm

great idea! i've actually got all of my hats and belts in a wicker box..this would make it so much easier and funner 🙂

• J-ezzy September 15, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I have 2 hangers where i put the belt's metal hoop onto the hanger hook and one drawer with all the wide belts. I must have that belt ring, I've never seen it before! Thanks for the awesome post!

• SassyUptownChic September 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Usually on a hanger! LOL This is so cool! Thanks for the tip!

SassyUptownChic xoxo Kim

• Cee September 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm

This is one of those inventions that is genius but also makes me scratch my head at the simplicity — duh, why couldn't I come up with that?! Thanks for the tip!

I drape my belts and sashes over a regular hanger right now, but it's kind of a pain to "balance" the heavier items with the lighter so everything stays put.

Does anyone have good storage solutions for sashes? Unfortunately it won't work with this belt ring.

• Pip September 15, 2011 at 2:50 pm

This is the greatest idea ever! How come I never knew of this?! LOL! I am going to be ordering one now too, since I need more space in my closet. 🙂

• thoshebebutlittle September 15, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I don't think I have any belts, TBH. I don't have much of a waist, and despite the conventional wisdom that belts are good on straighter figures they seem to just make me look wider.

I do have quite a few scarves though. They usually spend the cooler months folded in a drawer in my dresser.

• Mary Ann September 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Great idea – I think i need one of these!

• joy September 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm

That's such a genius idea! I currently drape them all on one of the lower rods in our closet. That worked well until I started amassing more belts. Lately there have been a few times where I turned the house upside down searching for "that one belt" only to have it turn up hidden underneath another one in the closet. I'm so buying one of those belt rings.

• thegoodgirlgoneblog.com September 15, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I think I need this. The bf just built me a great closet, but I still have a few things lying around that just won't go on the shelves/hanging areas. This should help get all my belts off the floor…

• FP September 15, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I was actually searching for a belt hanger, one that I don't have to stack belts on top of each other and was trying to create one my self using shower curtain rings. This is a great idea. I wish there was some sort of a clip or a fastener though to fill the gap, so that it would be possible to remove the exact belt by simply turning it around. I am searching my brain for an alternative everyday ring with a fastener for a DIY. Would probably be able to hang it on a normal hook right?

• Evelyn September 15, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Where'd you get your mannequin? And that is a very innovative idea, thanks!

• Anonymous September 15, 2011 at 3:39 pm

hey jean, what makeup brushes do u use?

• Anonymous September 15, 2011 at 3:46 pm
  • R.L. September 15, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Yay, your tips are always simple but soo helpful! I used to just hang my belts the way I hang my hangers but this would put dents/distort my fake leather belts. This is a nice way to showcase your collection too, though I kinda like them on your dress form too.

• tiffyama September 15, 2011 at 4:04 pm

What a great way to store your belts! Looks really cute too. :]

• DSK Steph September 15, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I've never heard of this belt ring until now! 😀

• Anonymous September 15, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Nice.
    BTW Jean, can you have a session to talk about how to style with a belt?

• katattack2000 September 15, 2011 at 5:04 pm

This is such a great idea 🙂 I normally just hang them from my wardrobe on little hooks.

• lin September 15, 2011 at 5:19 pm

jean, this is a great idea. i normally hang my belts on a belt rack but now that i have collected quite a few, they keep falling off the rack. i'm going to have to find myself one of these rings. thanks!

• FashionFreak/Mihaela September 15, 2011 at 5:24 pm

i love this! awesome 😀

my blog♥mfashionfreak

• littlenashua September 15, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I recently saw a nifty belt and scarf hanger at Bed Bath and Beyond that I want, but in the meantime I actually keep the belts attached to the little hanging thing that they are on when you buy them in the store. I have 9 belts and they were all purchased in 3 packs from places like Forever 21 and Charlotte Russe. Both stores have the belts hanging from a small plastic hook. I keep them on that hook and then attach the hook to another coat hanger that my scarves are on.

• Petite and Hungry September 15, 2011 at 5:52 pm
  • NeutraKris September 15, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I use a hanging rack I purchased from Walmart. It has two sides with 5 slots each that you can string your belt to – it also double as a tie rack!

• richa September 15, 2011 at 6:05 pm

in a big coach box i got a purse in… its glossy so it looks nice on a shelf and its roomy enough so i can see all of them in it. neat enough to cover the lid also.

• FashionableAsians September 15, 2011 at 8:01 pm

What a great way to organize belts, I have the hoops from IKEA but it's hard to pull out the belt I want when I have too many on one hoop :T

• May September 15, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Great organizational tip! I had some empty wall space in my closet so I just installed a coat rack with thin hooks and hang all my belts off them. I like the display and it helps me see all my belts better so that I end up wearing more of them!

• Jenn September 15, 2011 at 8:44 pm

This is such a great idea! I think another solution to the large gap leading to belts falling out would be to use flashcard rings from like Office Depot or something and just attach one to each belt so that you don't even have to swing the belt ring around to the belt you want to take out. Just a thought! Love your blog! Only subscribed pretty recently but your posts get better and better!

• April September 15, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I have a belt thingie like that but mine is pink and was only $7 at Ross. 🙂

• Meg September 15, 2011 at 10:01 pm

This is a great organizing idea.

In a future post or posts, can you talk about (and show us with pictures) how you organize your clothes, shoes and jewelry?

• el.vi. September 15, 2011 at 10:20 pm

WOw I love it and need one!!

• Michelle September 16, 2011 at 12:38 am

Loving your animal print belt!

I just use a large purse box to store my belts. I hoard purse boxes, so I figured I might as well put one to use!

• hawa September 16, 2011 at 2:04 am

Wow… Now i learn!! never seen one of these but I shall definitely be looking out for em.. i presently throw my belts over the closet rail. :-/

Thanks for the tip!

• Karen September 16, 2011 at 2:05 am

Thanks for the tip! Jean, might I ask you where you purchased your mannequin?

• Christy September 16, 2011 at 2:38 am

i use S-hooks!

• Anonymous September 16, 2011 at 3:38 am

These are also great to store hair ties, head bands etc!

• Carla Krae September 16, 2011 at 6:15 am

Had one since the early '90s, lol.

• faye lu September 16, 2011 at 7:18 am

having one of those *why didn't i think of that* moments! such a cool idea.
    i've been hanging mine off the 'hook parts' of my hanger … not very neat. this is a much more visible way of displaying them.

• faerie87 September 16, 2011 at 7:21 am

i actually have this one which i think is a little better
    think i got it from bed bath and beyond…

• Nitu September 16, 2011 at 8:04 am

Great idea! Never even knew that existed. Do you have a suggestion for scarves? Mine keeping falling on the falling most of the time!

• 1MadScientist September 16, 2011 at 8:42 am

That's a good belt ring. I got mine from the container store I think. It looks a little different and is not as functional as yours. Mine is more of U shape and if I have a belt at the end I have to take ALL the belts off to get to it! Yours looks more functional though. Good find!

• Anonymous September 16, 2011 at 12:51 pm

But isn't it hard to get a belt off the ring if it's in the middle of the stack? Or am I missing any trick?

• Anonymous September 16, 2011 at 1:03 pm

is it easy to take off a belt that is in the middle of those belts? Do you have to take out others in order to get to the one that you need? Just trying to visualize how it works in action. Thank you!

• Wendy September 16, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Thanks for the great tip!

• DoRa Priscilla September 16, 2011 at 3:50 pm

That is super cool! =D

• fashionforteens September 16, 2011 at 11:27 pm

My dad has one of those too:) Great tip! I never thought to get one myself though I don't exactly have a belt collection. I only own a few. Yours are beautiful though-I love all of the skinny belts.

• Vivian September 17, 2011 at 4:05 am

that is so cool! i store my belts in my wardrobe, there is this rack thing on the back of the door =)

• Anonymous September 17, 2011 at 1:14 pm

hi jean, i just started following your blog. i just wanted to say i LOVE your blog and you!! i love nice things as well, but i am also a thrifter and am all about the bargains. you pull thriftiness off with elegance and i commend you for that. keep doing what you do!! 🙂

• Vicky September 17, 2011 at 2:17 pm

This is way cool. Best tip ever. Up there with the belt hole puncher. 🙂

• Julia Rose September 17, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Is your mannequin custom made? If so where did you get it made? Thanks!

• PetiteAsianGirl September 17, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Great ideas, everyone! Thanks for sharing your methods : ) I love the suggestions of the binder ring or flashcard ring. I think that might work better.

@Julia Rose @Karen @jkyw @Evelyn Mannequin was from a local gift store that closed down and were selling their fixtures. If you look on ALterationsNeeded's blog, Kelly bought a nice little mannequin from a widely available store online, that is closer to her in size.

@Anonymous Thank you! I have to agree with you, I love mixing "nice things" with bargain finds : )

@Anonymous That's nuts! What a coincidence.

@Anonymous I integrate belts into most outfits (for work, anyways) but I'll keep your post suggestion in mind!

@Meg Sure thing! I'm working on a DIY jewelry case, can't wait to show it.

@Anonymous @Anonymous I mentioned in my post that ideally the two open ends should be very close together, preferably touching, for this to work perfectly. The exact one I ordered has an issue where it's a little too far apart, and small belts do fall through when I'm trying to move through and take out the exact one I want. I tried bending the ends to be even closer together. THe one my dad has works perfectly with no issues, and I remember the open ends being so close they touch.

• xoladiihoneyxo September 18, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I just hang mines on one of those things you nail to the walls or over the door. Some of the buckles are too small so I just hang them side-ways but yours is definitely a better solution! I must looking into these ideas. hehe. Its been one of the reasons why I haven't bought any belts due to this reason… 'cause I didn't want to see clutter!

• Dias September 20, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Hi Jean, if I may ask you about the size of belt. I usually wear xs size belt but what is the equivalent of xs in belt? Thanx:)

• marialinh September 23, 2011 at 9:26 am

Hey Jean, I ordered the same belt ring as you did from amazon and mine did not have a gap! The ends were touching! Darn, and I was hoping to flex my muscles ;P

• megan alissa design November 2, 2011 at 1:37 pm

This is a worthwhile thing; I don't own it yet, but my amazon order has been placed! I never liked those coat hanger shaped belt rack types. They take up too much space and the belts fall off. After searching and searching I finally made my own belt holding contraption to hold my now, ample collection of cute belts. I was hoping I found a better solution and it worked out well for awhile except the belts still keep falling off! This ring looks to be much better! Can't wait, great tip!

• Sheba January 23, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Loved the idea of the belt organizer. I got this one from Amazon after getting inspired from you. Quite sturdy and holds all my belts, the rings do tend to move around a little on the hanger but I don't mind that. It's easy to take the belts on or off.

• Anonymous April 10, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I use mine as a Holliday present by taking individual wrapped hard candies and tying a piece of very thin ribbon on one end and tie it to the ring untill their is no more space available. When you are done it looks like a Christmas wreath to hang on the door. When I have given this in the past who ever got it thought it was a neat gift………

vs

• www.jewelryboxavenue.com October 18, 2012 at 3:29 am

Thanks for the deal with! However yeah thank for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love studying extra on this topic.

• Surf Jewels June 17, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I think I may need one of these. I currently have all my belts stuffed in a drawer, not the best solution. Was thinking of a hook, but like the idea of being able to get off one belt at a time and not the whole lot.

• belt hanger October 16, 2014 at 2:47 am

The open ends on mine are a little too far apart and belts fell off, so I flexed my muscles and did some bending.You can also visit: http://tiny.cc/belt-organizer-hanger

• Emma Winget May 21, 2015 at 2:35 am

Amazing and creative ideas for a accessory organizer. Completely amazed with it. Keep sharing similar articles.