Accessory Storage: The Belt Ring Hanger

beltring
After going from owning 1 belt to amassing a small collection, my poor mannequin begged me to find a new storage solution. Growing up, I remember toying with my dad’s belt ring and thinking how clever it was. I don’t know what took me so long, but I finally ordered my own from Amazon.

For the ring to be effective, look for a thin ring with the open ends super close to each other, preferably touching (this way the ring can move smoothly through all your other belts as you get to the one you are looking to remove). The open ends on mine are a little too far apart and belts fell off, so I flexed my muscles and did some bending. This one looks like a better alternative with close-together ends.

Readers – how do you organize and store your belts?

77 thoughts on “Accessory Storage: The Belt Ring Hanger

• Anonymous September 16, 2011 at 3:38 am

These are also great to store hair ties, head bands etc!

• Carla Krae September 16, 2011 at 6:15 am

Had one since the early '90s, lol.

• faye lu September 16, 2011 at 7:18 am

having one of those *why didn't i think of that* moments! such a cool idea.
    i've been hanging mine off the 'hook parts' of my hanger … not very neat. this is a much more visible way of displaying them.

• faerie87 September 16, 2011 at 7:21 am

i actually have this one which i think is a little better
    think i got it from bed bath and beyond…

• Nitu September 16, 2011 at 8:04 am

Great idea! Never even knew that existed. Do you have a suggestion for scarves? Mine keeping falling on the falling most of the time!

• 1MadScientist September 16, 2011 at 8:42 am

That's a good belt ring. I got mine from the container store I think. It looks a little different and is not as functional as yours. Mine is more of U shape and if I have a belt at the end I have to take ALL the belts off to get to it! Yours looks more functional though. Good find!

• Anonymous September 16, 2011 at 12:51 pm

But isn't it hard to get a belt off the ring if it's in the middle of the stack? Or am I missing any trick?

• Anonymous September 16, 2011 at 1:03 pm

is it easy to take off a belt that is in the middle of those belts? Do you have to take out others in order to get to the one that you need? Just trying to visualize how it works in action. Thank you!

• Wendy September 16, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Thanks for the great tip!

• DoRa Priscilla September 16, 2011 at 3:50 pm

That is super cool! =D

• fashionforteens September 16, 2011 at 11:27 pm

My dad has one of those too:) Great tip! I never thought to get one myself though I don't exactly have a belt collection. I only own a few. Yours are beautiful though-I love all of the skinny belts.

• Vivian September 17, 2011 at 4:05 am

that is so cool! i store my belts in my wardrobe, there is this rack thing on the back of the door =)

• Anonymous September 17, 2011 at 1:14 pm

hi jean, i just started following your blog. i just wanted to say i LOVE your blog and you!! i love nice things as well, but i am also a thrifter and am all about the bargains. you pull thriftiness off with elegance and i commend you for that. keep doing what you do!! 🙂

• Vicky September 17, 2011 at 2:17 pm

This is way cool. Best tip ever. Up there with the belt hole puncher. 🙂

• Julia Rose September 17, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Is your mannequin custom made? If so where did you get it made? Thanks!

• PetiteAsianGirl September 17, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Great ideas, everyone! Thanks for sharing your methods : ) I love the suggestions of the binder ring or flashcard ring. I think that might work better.

@Julia Rose @Karen @jkyw @Evelyn Mannequin was from a local gift store that closed down and were selling their fixtures. If you look on ALterationsNeeded's blog, Kelly bought a nice little mannequin from a widely available store online, that is closer to her in size.

@Anonymous Thank you! I have to agree with you, I love mixing "nice things" with bargain finds : )

@Anonymous That's nuts! What a coincidence.

@Anonymous I integrate belts into most outfits (for work, anyways) but I'll keep your post suggestion in mind!

@Meg Sure thing! I'm working on a DIY jewelry case, can't wait to show it.

@Anonymous @Anonymous I mentioned in my post that ideally the two open ends should be very close together, preferably touching, for this to work perfectly. The exact one I ordered has an issue where it's a little too far apart, and small belts do fall through when I'm trying to move through and take out the exact one I want. I tried bending the ends to be even closer together. THe one my dad has works perfectly with no issues, and I remember the open ends being so close they touch.

• xoladiihoneyxo September 18, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I just hang mines on one of those things you nail to the walls or over the door. Some of the buckles are too small so I just hang them side-ways but yours is definitely a better solution! I must looking into these ideas. hehe. Its been one of the reasons why I haven't bought any belts due to this reason… 'cause I didn't want to see clutter!

• Dias September 20, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Hi Jean, if I may ask you about the size of belt. I usually wear xs size belt but what is the equivalent of xs in belt? Thanx:)

• marialinh September 23, 2011 at 9:26 am

Hey Jean, I ordered the same belt ring as you did from amazon and mine did not have a gap! The ends were touching! Darn, and I was hoping to flex my muscles ;P

• megan alissa design November 2, 2011 at 1:37 pm

This is a worthwhile thing; I don't own it yet, but my amazon order has been placed! I never liked those coat hanger shaped belt rack types. They take up too much space and the belts fall off. After searching and searching I finally made my own belt holding contraption to hold my now, ample collection of cute belts. I was hoping I found a better solution and it worked out well for awhile except the belts still keep falling off! This ring looks to be much better! Can't wait, great tip!

• Sheba January 23, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Loved the idea of the belt organizer. I got this one from Amazon after getting inspired from you. Quite sturdy and holds all my belts, the rings do tend to move around a little on the hanger but I don't mind that. It's easy to take the belts on or off.

• Anonymous April 10, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I use mine as a Holliday present by taking individual wrapped hard candies and tying a piece of very thin ribbon on one end and tie it to the ring untill their is no more space available. When you are done it looks like a Christmas wreath to hang on the door. When I have given this in the past who ever got it thought it was a neat gift………

vs

• www.jewelryboxavenue.com October 18, 2012 at 3:29 am

Thanks for the deal with! However yeah thank for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love studying extra on this topic.

• Surf Jewels June 17, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I think I may need one of these. I currently have all my belts stuffed in a drawer, not the best solution. Was thinking of a hook, but like the idea of being able to get off one belt at a time and not the whole lot.

• belt hanger October 16, 2014 at 2:47 am

The open ends on mine are a little too far apart and belts fell off, so I flexed my muscles and did some bending.You can also visit: http://tiny.cc/belt-organizer-hanger

• Emma Winget May 21, 2015 at 2:35 am

Amazing and creative ideas for a accessory organizer. Completely amazed with it. Keep sharing similar articles.