• Something different: H&M Faux-Fur Collar

I saw this collar on xppinkxx’s blog last week and immediately put it on my buy list. She wore it over a simple black blazer with shorts, tights, and flats, and I feel in love! Faux-fur is everywhere this season, but I wanted to dabble in it without spending too much.

When I came upon the rack of collars at H&M;, several girls were clustered around it displaying their mockery & disgust. I had to huffily push my way through to grab one. I suppose this is one of those things that you can either love or hate.

fauxfur

fauxfur3

Faux-fur collar: H&M;
    Khaki Jacket: Theory sz 00

Dress: Theory Yeneth sz 0 (hemmed)
    Heels: Ann Taylor Elle Pumps in sz 5 (buy here)
    Sweater: LOFT long cardi sz XXSP in charcoal (buy here)
    Belt: Ann Taylor Perfect Skinny sz S (buy here, holes punched)

For $14.95, I am tres impressed by this accessory. The faux fur is beige/taupe/gray and goes nicely with a variety of colors. It definitely looks and feels more expensive than $15, and easily dresses up cardigans or blazers. Continue reading for more photos…

fauxfur2fauxfur1

The inside of the collar has two slits so you can tuck one end in and have it criss-cross, like so:
    fauxfur4

Some H&M; sale tips:

– A reader (thanks Pauline!) tipped me off on the H&M; iphone app. If you shake it you get a coupon for 20% off one item.

– Right now H&M; is having their 10 year anniversary sale (thanks Sophia for the heads up!) and they have $10 off select items every day. If you spend over a certain amount (not sure what this amount is, but I met it) you get a free tote bag and a $5 off coupon good for a future purchase.

On an unrelated note, I was super excited today about CVS’s Revlon nail polish sale. All Revlon polishes (including base, treatment, and top coats which can normally run up to $8) are $3.99, but then you get $3 extrabucks back per bottle, making them .99 each. I stocked up on colors for Fall:

From left to right: Gray Suede, Totally Toffee, Vixen, Plum Night

I then immediately used the extrabucks to buy Seche Vite topcoat and polish remover & pads (which are buy 1 get 1 50% off). Pictured below is “Vixen,” which in better lighting is more raisin colored and not as dark. I’m also wearing gray suede in my outfit photos above. It’s a lovely, taupe-gray that is great for work. It did chip easily on me, so a topcoat is key.

Readers – What would you pair the collar with? I’m looking for more ideas that are actually “wearable” in real life.

60 thoughts on “Something different: H&M Faux-Fur Collar

• nicole October 3, 2010 at 11:06 pm

I love the faux fur collar! I think I'm going to have to make a trip to the H&M; here to get one; $15 is a steal and it looks amazing on you!

It's definitely a win with blazers and cardigans for sure. I love how you wore it with that khaki jacket – so chic!

• elleandish October 3, 2010 at 11:09 pm

I would want to try it with my BR tan trench coat… or a thick belted sweater

not entirely sure if they'd work well together but that's my plan this fall/winter πŸ˜€

• Angie October 3, 2010 at 11:09 pm

wow! the fur looks really high quality. i would have not expected you to wear something like that but oddly enough it looks so good on you! i know that if i tried i would look like i had an accident in cabela's xD

thanks for the h&m; tips πŸ™‚

• Liana October 3, 2010 at 11:09 pm

ooh that looks so good on you! i want one now πŸ˜› hmm, if i had one i'd probably wear it with everything! but for everyday i think it would look cute over a plain white fitted t-shirt with skinny jeans and heels and a clutch…or wide leg pants with heels

• Ping October 3, 2010 at 11:25 pm

jean i love the fur on you!! it definitely looks expensive. what a great find for $15.

• Rainy Days and Lattes October 3, 2010 at 11:32 pm

WOW, the faux fur looks so glamorous on you. I especially like it paired with similar colors like the tan/beige color you have on πŸ™‚ It looks very wearable especially for nighttime!! πŸ™‚ So interesting they H&M; just sells the collar. That's really versatile and much better than selling a whole ensemble πŸ™‚

AHH, I can't believe they have the Seche Vite top coat at CVS!!! Why didn't I see it?! I'm probably going to go back to pick that up and hopefully with another useful coupon. I love scanning those things πŸ™‚ Even a $5 off $20 is not too terrible since they have that Extra Bucks promo πŸ™‚

• Jess October 3, 2010 at 11:41 pm

The faux fur collar looks so cute on you!! I love the color of the fur, it looks expensive. I think it would look great with a cream colored sweater or anything tan or camel colored like you have it with the trench. I really wish Texas would get H&M.;

I also love your nail color choices- I think I will try out the taupe-gray color. I also love chocolate brown on nails for fall.

• PetiteXXS October 3, 2010 at 11:57 pm

You look so gorgeous and glam in the first pic! I like how the fur comes in a collar so you can wear it with different items, much more versatile (and cheap) than buying fur-lined items. I'm still not sure if and where I can wear faux fur, since it hardly gets cold in LA, but I'd definitely go for something like this if I were to try!

Btw are you painting your own nails now? If so it looks like you're doing a great job! πŸ™‚

• Stylepint October 4, 2010 at 12:04 am

Great find and the outfit photos look very chic. I'd love to get a fur collar too, but I'm so picky I might DIY one. =P

The fur collar looks almost long enough simulate a vest from the front, but I agree that pairing it with a cardigan/blazer looks best.

• Couture and Crayons October 4, 2010 at 12:29 am

That collar is so versatile. Thanks for modeling with various ensembles. I have searching for a faux fur collar. I hope they still have some when I'm in L.A. in a few weeks.

Janice (Couture and Crayons)

• Jen October 4, 2010 at 12:43 am

D: omg, that is beautifullllll!!!!!

So sad we don't have H&M; still. Pretty much every time you post something from there it makes me die a little inside. BTW, the backlit photo of you is absolutely gorgeous. I wish I could instill a bit of bf's photography skills into my husband!

I do have a faux fur collar from Forever21 last year that I'll have to make do with. Sadly, it's just a rectangle and not that pretty collar shape. πŸ™

• herwaisechoice October 4, 2010 at 1:36 am

That collar looks great on you Jean!!! Those girls obviously didn't know what they were talking about. My boyfriend said you look very elegant– and I totally agree! Love how many outfits you have managed to style this with πŸ™‚

Have a great week!
      Jen

• BuNnYLuBerz October 4, 2010 at 1:50 am

you put it together very well!

• kali October 4, 2010 at 1:59 am

Thanks again for telling me about this a few days ago. I got Lilac Pastelle today but I'm going back for more!

• kali October 4, 2010 at 2:00 am

P.S. I like the faux fur collar on you! It looks really cute.

• aradhana x3 October 4, 2010 at 2:35 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your collar! OMG.

I'm definitely going to stop by H&M; tomorrow and pick one up for myself. SUCH a versatile item that'll go great with almost any outdoors-y type ensemble!

• DSK Steph! October 4, 2010 at 2:48 am

You look like a million bucks Jean!

I need that in my life, but I have a feeling my dogs would start humping it if I ever randomly left it out.

p.s. so what time did you and your camera man wake up to take those pics πŸ˜›

I still laugh thinking about your tweet about getting up early on a Saturday. haha

ILY!

• The Girlie Blog October 4, 2010 at 3:02 am

I think you made the faux fur collar work. I really want to head to H&M; for their sale, but no time :O( And I like Revlon's Grey Suide – pretty color.

• Reemz-petitewomen October 4, 2010 at 5:37 am

wow! you definitely work the fur collar!

• PetiteLittleGirl October 4, 2010 at 7:05 am

I am not a fur kind of girl but I love this look on you. You really know how to style it. Thanks for the heads up on those nail polishes on Twitter. I went to CVS and got some for myself last night

• Chloe October 4, 2010 at 8:57 am

Love the fur collar- I've been hunting for a faux fur stole to layer over coats and cardis, and so jealous that you have an H&M; near you! The closest to me is a 14 hour drive. *throws hissy fit*

• em.me.ma October 4, 2010 at 10:26 am

You look so warm for fall! <3

• Claud October 4, 2010 at 10:49 am

I love the faux-fur collar layer over the cardigan. Looks great on you, tres chic!!!

• Stephie October 4, 2010 at 11:16 am

I love the fur collar! I saw pink's blog on it… if only H&M; was in Texas!

• simplyvonne October 4, 2010 at 11:29 am

the fur collar definitely look awesome on you..i dont think it will look great on me but you rock it !

• Claud October 4, 2010 at 11:31 am

omg Jean those ellen pumps from AT are simply gorgeous. Both the black and toffee colors are tempting me…oh no I can't come here πŸ˜‰

• LilliChantilly October 4, 2010 at 1:17 pm

You look so freaking gorgeous and chic! Makes me want to get a fur collar! <333

• shimmering2light October 4, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I've seen a lot of faux fur paired with chunky knits… paired with skinny jeans and wedge boots would make it very chic!

shimmering2light.blogspot.com

• Em October 4, 2010 at 1:53 pm

LOVE that collar! I contemplated buying a cardigan at H&M; last year JUST for its detachable collar, but this one is so much better! It's wider and the "fur" is better quality.

You look like you have it right…it looks especially good with the plum cardigan. I think it'll spiff up all outerwear items, from blazers to trenches to overcoats. Honestly, such an accessory goes with almost everything. It may raise some eyebrows in more conservative offices (when not worn with outerwear), but who cares…it looks good πŸ™‚

• AubreyOhDang! October 4, 2010 at 2:08 pm

w/o tucking it in, how do you make it stay on the collar like that?

• Lori October 4, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I read this in the middle of the night last night, and I had to make a trip to H&M; today to buy the collar! And thank your reader for the tip on the 20% off! Awesome!!

• Banhannas October 4, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Okay, to be honest if I saw that on the rack I would definitely be smirking and making fun of the collar. Obviously, I can't appreciate beautiful pieces!! Holy cow, you look so glamorous in it! I was in H&M; yesterday thanks to Sophia as well and I'm rethinking of hounding down that piece for my mom. She absolutely adores fur!

• Pauline October 4, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I usually hate fur and would probably be one of those girls showing their disgust for it, but I have to admit, it looks very pretty and chic on you!

—–
      Also, heads up about the 20% off code. If the cashier verifies that you have used the code on your iphone/itouch, you can delete the app, download it and shake it again, and another 20% off coupon will pop up. H&M; usually has internet for guests, so if you want another item, just delete and re-download it on the spot!

• Callandra October 4, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Ah, tres chic! So much better than the faux fur vests that are literally EVERYWHERE right now! I really like how you styled the collar. For some reason I tend to style fur accessories more to 70's type outfits. I would probably wear this piece with a fitted vintage tweed jacket, some wide leg trouser jeans and boots. (But then again, I think your style may be a bit more classic than mine);)

• Tara October 4, 2010 at 7:44 pm

I am loving the faux fur! You look great!

MixandMatchFashion

• Cee October 4, 2010 at 7:47 pm

I don't think I can pull off fur. It's way too elegant for me! =P You look amazing in it though. I love how versatile it is and really glams up every outfit. I can also see you wearing it as part of a bolero/shawl-type over a dress.

• MizzJ October 4, 2010 at 8:54 pm

This looks great! I've been curious about experimenting with fur as well, and a collar seems like a great to indulge without going for a full-on furry coat!

• Vicky October 4, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Love the faux fur on you. I am not crazy about this trend but really like the way you pulled it off. Thanks for the tips on CVS nail color sale. Have to head out there tomorrow. πŸ™‚

• Michelle October 4, 2010 at 9:30 pm

My favorite is definitely the first picture. I love the belt you chose.

And $15?! Great price! I would have never guessed.

• Annie P. October 4, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I'm liking the faux fur collar! Living in freezing NYC I'm liking the fur trend, but I just can't seem to find some cheap yet lush faux furs around here :T Maybe I gotta wait a couple more wks..