Abercrombie just kicked off their 30% off sitewide Black Friday sale and gave me code AFJEAN for extra 15% off!
Back in September, I shared one of my favorite finds all year – these wide leg trousers (read my review) that actually got me excited to wear pants again! Featuring a chic tailored look but with a comfortable stretch fabric and elastic back waist, these are perfection for those who want a pant to toggle between casual and work looks. I wanted to share a few updates that were made to these fan favorite pants, and also a comparison with their newer straight leg relaxed pant.
From the sale, here’s a few coats I either own or have tried on over the years:
- Blanket wrap coat. Runs big – read my review with more photos. A lot of reviews mention being surprised at no lining, but you can see in the product photo this is an unlined, double-faced style coat. This intentionally unlined style has had a comeback in recent years, but for a lined coat, see the bottom two styles listed!
- Blanket open coat. See my try-on if you’re looking for a front-button coat with no belt.
- Wool-blend Dad coat in 10 colors. One of their core coats that’s been around for ~ 5 years! Straighter cut.
- Wool-blend Mod coat. See my try-on. A newer style with a different lapel than their Dad coat, but the overall fit is very similar. This runs true to size for me.
- Vegan leather mini puffer. See on me, and this now comes in a more shrunken Ultra Mini version.
Updates to the original “Sloane” Wide Leg Pant
The original wide leg pant is still being sold here, but there is a newer product page selling the same pant with a few updates. The original wide leg pant that many of us got earlier this year was in letter sizing (XXS – XXL), but the updated style is now in numerical sizing like denim (23 – 32). By switching from letter to numerical sizing, there are now 15 sizes to choose from (instead of the original 7 sizes) for finding the perfect fit. They also named this style pant the “Sloane” style.
Another update is that they now offer an Extra Short inseam in select colors like black – good news for those of you who told me you found Short to still be too long!
Wide Leg Pant vs. Relaxed Straight Pant
I found the original wide leg pants with letter sizing to run small at the waist, while the relaxed straight leg pants fit looser in comparison. I should’ve guessed this based on the “relaxed” vs “tailored” fit keywords! My waist measures around 25″ and a XS Short in the original wide leg pant is fitted at my waist, while I need a 24 Short in the relaxed straight leg pant for the same fit.
Both styles have the same comfortable fabric and zipper front with a partial elastic back waist. One thing to note about the straight leg pant is that the zipper style differs based on color. Some colors have a more trendy, angled zipper in the front while other colors like black and navy have a regular zip.
Personally, I still prefer the wide leg pant since I love the drama of a looser cut, but I do wonder if in a few years a straight cut will better last the test of changing tastes and trends. See the wide leg trousers styled here on me with sneakers.