Style it 6 Ways: High Waisted Trousers

petite white trousers try on

It feels silly to be sharing regular fashion now, but I hope these posts can be a lighthearted read for some of you outside of the news, work, and other stressors in your life. I’m continuously grateful for everyone working hard out there to keep our communities going, and grateful for the ability to work from home. I’m trying my best to share content readers are requesting more of (like meal ideas & activities) while fulfilling previous partnership obligations, so I truly appreciate your understanding with posts like these!

Cream pants are not exactly my stay-at-home lounge piece of choice, but I picked these out a few weeks ago and know they will get lots of love down the road as part of a classic wardrobe. Hopefully this can be a bookmark / Pin for later post of styling ideas!

A good pair of cream pants is actually quite hard to find, so I was particularly excited to find these trousers from Express which are currently fully stocked in Short, Regular, Long AND Petite inseams. If you’re debating between Short and Petite, I have tried both before and the Petite inseam is usually just slightly (maybe 1″ longer) than the Short. These pants are made of a lightweight, slightly textured fabric and fully lined, with an included belt and pockets. The cut is gently tapering in the leg. The waist runs a little big in my opinion, but the belt helps cinch it in. Size 00 Short measures: 13.5″ across the waist, 10″ rise, 24.5″ inseam.

1. Business Casual

See pic above! For everyday work wear, these pants are very easy to pair with blouses or bodysuits that can be tucked in. Because the pants aren’t too fitted around the hips area, it doesn’t show a lot of lines or bulges from tucked-in tops. If you want to tuck in a darker colored or bulkier top with a more seamless look, try my older tip by tucking your top into a pair of skin-toned shaping shorts / spanx first , and then put your pants on over that.

2. Dinner or Girls Night

Tuck in a satiny or lace-trimmed cami, and layer with a soft draped trench or moto jacket. This textured satin cami is a beautiful, versatile blush-taupe color and actually has substantial weight to it (and is double layered!) so it isn’t thin or clingy. The top layer fabric has a subtle hammered texture to it. XS is a tad roomy on me, but the spaghetti straps are adjustable which helps a lot with fit.

petite-friendly affordable date night outfit

3. Meetings

Top the previous outfit with a blazer and swap in closed toe pumps and a large tote. I mentioned this style blazer in a previous post – it’s a great slimmer cut option that fits nicely without alterations. It’s made of a durable medium weight material with a full lining. Size 00 petite measures 14.5″ across the shoulders, 15″ armpit to armpit, 13″ across the waist, 21.75″ shoulder to sleeve hem, and 22″ total length. Currently there is a coordinating pencil skirt available in the same “powder pink” color as this blazer (actual color has mauve tones to me rather than a true powdery pink).

how to style white pants for the office

Express blazer 00P, satiny cami xs, ankle pants 00 short, M.Gemi pumps 35.5 (similar, code JEAN60 for $60 off) Sole Society tote

4. Comfy Casual

Slip on flat or low walking shoes and a chunky knit. I’ve had this sweater since last year and personally thinks the wool runs a little itchy if you wear it against bare skin (not if you layer something underneath). However I keep on reaching for it week after week because I love the light-weightedness and slouchy cut, and how it’s not too thick nor thin for this weather. With wearing and washing, the itch factor has definitely done down over time.

sustainable fashion Everlane sweater and Ro
petite review of white high-waisted trousers

5. Everyday Chic

Since all of the above looks are lighter on the color palette, I also wanted to show white paired with black for a sharp yet still neutral everyday look! Black, white, camel are go-to hues in my closet, with the reason being that they always pair together effortlessly. This would also be a great way to wear cream trousers into colder seasons like Fall.

petite trench coat and white pants outfit

Trench coat (my review), similar mock neck top, ankle pants 00 short (shoes & outfit linked here)

6. sweet & summery

So this one feels so far down the road (one can dream, right?), but for a darling, summer vacation or cocktails look try a cropped length top and add a pair of espadrilles. Both of my tops below are old, but Express has an adorable tie shoulder denim top out right now along with a few other eyelet alternatives.

white ankle cropped pants outfits

Express top (old; similar in eyelet), ankle pants 00 short, Castaner wedges 5, Janessa Leone hat, Zara bag

casual chic petite summer outfit

Old top, vintage bag, ankle pants 00 short, Lele Sadoughi headband (older print), Castaner wedges 5

Thank you to Express for partnering on this post. Which of these looks was your favorite?

28 thoughts on “Style it 6 Ways: High Waisted Trousers

• Reply Janet March 25, 2020 at 4:20 pm

Wondering if you found those cream trousers from Express to be see-through. I can’t find a good pair of white trousers that are lined and fashionable!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite March 25, 2020 at 5:35 pm

Hi Janet, they are lightweight, so not fully opaque. However the full lining here helps! I would wear skin-toned underwear as with any white clothes. With nude undies I don’t have sheerness concerns.

• Reply Petra March 25, 2020 at 4:35 pm

I absolutely love these outfits you are sharing today! The first one with the blouse is my favorite. I needed a distraction with fashion today. I am an elementary teacher trying to keep my students educated from home and it is wearing on me. So thank you for your great outfit ideas that I can use hopefully later in the year!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite March 25, 2020 at 5:37 pm

I’m happy to hear that, Petra! After just two weeks home 24/7 with my toddler I have such an appreciation for caretakers and teachers, especially of active younger kids. I am sure the parents all really appreciate your efforts to do what you can while at home.

• Reply Noreen March 25, 2020 at 7:05 pm

Hi Jean, I live in Ireland and can’t access the link to the Rose pleated too . Could you please advise the details ? Thank you! Gorgeous post!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite March 26, 2020 at 1:07 pm

Hi Noreen, it’s from Express! Sadly I don’t think their website works in Ireland : /

• Anonymous March 26, 2020 at 3:00 pm

Thanks Jean – that’s a shame, but great inspiration. Thank you!

• Reply minau March 25, 2020 at 4:44 pm

Very nice styling! My fave is number 2!

• Reply TT March 25, 2020 at 4:55 pm

What is the first pair of shoes with a bow? I like it very much

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite March 25, 2020 at 5:35 pm

Thanks! They are ann taylor from a few years ago though.

• Reply Jenny March 25, 2020 at 7:40 pm

So happy to find a new post from you today! Much appreciated distraction from the ‘new normal’ of sheltering at home. Dreaming of going out again and enjoying fashion once more….my husband and I dressed up for a date night bat gone recently, and it definitely helped lift our spirits a bit 🙂

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite March 26, 2020 at 11:47 am

Happy to hear that, Jenny! We def won’t be taking the little things for granted after this! xx

• Reply Peggy March 26, 2020 at 7:19 am

Have followed you for years as a petite senior. Like the choices you make and how to put them together.

You mentioned you feel silly showing fashions, it is a reprieve but you are an amazing seamstress. Why not post a diy face mask and urge those who have tight 100% cotton and elastic to make a mask. Even donate, if you have supplies.

Thank you. I am not trying to be presumptuous.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite March 26, 2020 at 11:41 am

Hi Peggy, I actually re-shared a tutorial to sew the DIY masks on Instagram and had to delete the post because my inbox was flooded with negative and opinionated messages about it. I personally think it’s a wonderful idea to make and donate to professionals who might have to use bandanas as a last resort, but there are very controversial opinions about DIY cotton masks and I didn’t have the mental capacity to deal with that much online negativity / judgement during this time.

• Reply Emily S. March 26, 2020 at 12:24 pm

I’ve been seeing people spout misinformed judgments about that all over social media and it’s so frustrating. I’m sorry you had to deal with that, and I’m glad you’re making wise decisions about preserving your own capacity during this time.

• Reply Peggy March 26, 2020 at 3:56 pm

No problem. You are a doll. From a senior. Just a suggestion. I didn’t see Instagram. I don’t have it. Bless you and your.

• Reply MM March 26, 2020 at 9:49 am

last outfit, especially, so cute!!! love love love!

• Reply Brandi March 26, 2020 at 10:07 am

Thanks for keeping the regular posts coming. I work in a bank as a teller and right now we’re considered ‘essential’. We’ve closed the lobby and switched to drive thru only for transactions and wear gloves. Its still nice to see something fun like a fashion post, we need the distraction. These are crazy times we live in now and things change daily. Ive never tried high waisted pants before, Ive always thought they would make me look wider in the middle or venture into ‘mom jean’ territory. And I dont mean the more modern version some people wear today.. but maybe I’ll give them a try!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite March 26, 2020 at 11:46 am

Very crazy times indeed and really hoping you continue to stay safe and healthy, Brandi! xx

• Reply Karen March 26, 2020 at 10:12 am

Keep the fashion coming, I like the diversion!

• Reply Sara Lindsey March 26, 2020 at 11:16 am

All very cute options and very versatile!

• Reply Nicci March 26, 2020 at 12:02 pm

I love how all of these outfits look! ❤ Talk about a versatile pair of pants!

• Reply Adria R March 26, 2020 at 1:10 pm

When I received your email link to this post I thought how crazy to be thinking of fashion now (staying isolated with family at home, being a duel NYC/NJ resident.) But then I realized you must be contractually obligated to post, by your vendors. When I clicked on the link I was happy to read your opening remarks. You are a gem, and I look forward to the days when we can dress up, go out, be social and feel whole again.

• Reply Irene T March 26, 2020 at 3:17 pm

Dear Jean,

Loveee all of your outfits! <3

Also love your headband! Can you showcase your headbands with us? I always have a hard time putting one on, like my hair would get scrunched up to the top….Would love to see what you have and how to keep your hair in place!

• Reply Nicole March 26, 2020 at 4:16 pm

This was a great break from the news..which I’m trying to limit. I love your style and personality. Thank you for all you do!!!! I’ll be buying these pants…white/cream pants with a lining is a great find!

• Reply Monica March 26, 2020 at 5:36 pm

Jean – I’m seeing these pants sold as 00 short and also 00 petite. Which of these did you purchase??

• Reply Anne March 30, 2020 at 6:01 pm

I actually had a conversation with an Express stylist about these pants. I was confused about the short and petite, too. The stylist told me the petite clothes are proportioned the same as the regular sizes, just smaller. The short sizes are regular, just short. I don’t know what size she got but I that might help you!

• Reply Alex March 26, 2020 at 7:08 pm

Maybe make a post about cute lounge wear?
    I’m not dressing up much now working from home. Not craving any work clothes at all.