Whether it’s a hat that’s too loose, a scarf that won’t stay in place, or a purse strap that’s too long…there are always those small fashion challenges in need of a quick fix. Over the years, I’ve accumulated a list of style hacks to help alleviate some of these fashion frustrations, and wanted to share the ones I find the most useful!
1. How to make a hat smaller
Fashion Frustration: When your hat is too loose and at risk of blowing away.
The Fix: Hat size reducer strips. Adjust the fit of your hat by sticking on these lightweight foam pieces. These are available in different thicknesses based on how loose your hat is, and you can stick on either more or less for the perfect fit. I own both options below and don’t have a major preference!
- Entire roll (not cut) – This is 3mm thick.
- Individual 4″ strips – Comes in both black & white. You can choose from 2 different thicknesses: either 0.2 inch / 5mm thick, or 0.12 inch / 3mm thick
2. How to secure a scarf or shawl
Fashion Frustration: When you want to keep a scarf secured stylishly in place without having to tie it.
The Fix: Scarf magnet. These are strong magnetic buttons that keep your scarf, shawl, or wrap in place on a windy day and won’t damage the fabric like a brooch might.
- MagneButton – Got this as a gift a few years back from my mother in law! I have the low dome pearl version which I’ve found to be very versatile, but it also comes in a variety of other designs and sizes.
3. How to Temporarily shorten a chain strap
Fashion Frustration: When the chain strap on your purse is too long for your frame, or, if you want to wear your chain strap purse multiple ways (for example, I like to carry my Chanel flap bag with the straps extra short – see style # 2 in this blog post).
The Fix: Metal buckle hooks. See two ways that I’ve used this on my Chanel handbag: 1) hook both sides together underneath the flap to significantly shorten the shoulder strap; or 2) hook just one side to slightly shorten the overall strap. Note the buckle I have is a little too thick to hook through my older wallet on chain strap.
- Metal Buckles available in multiple metal tones.
4. How to temporarily make a necklace longer
Fashion Frustration: When your necklace isn’t quite the right length for the neckline on your OOTD.
The Fix: Necklace Extender. I love how this makes my necklaces more versatile, especially for layering jewelry of different lengths.
- Kendra Scott Option – comes in several metal finishes including, gold, silver and rose gold to closely match necklaces.
5. How to secure a long belt without loops
Fashion Frustration: When your belt or bag strap tail hangs too long and either sticks out or flaps around.
These small tools have made a big difference with a few of my fashion frustrations over the years. Hope you guys find them helpful, and please share any style solutions or hacks of your own!