5 Useful Style Solutions for Accessories

J.Brand cropped jeans 24, BP sweater (old; very similar), Gucci soho bag, Joie heels (old), Banana Republic hat (old; similar)

Whether it’s a hat that’s too loose, a scarf that won’t stay in place, or a purse strap that’s too long…there are always those small fashion challenges in need of a quick fix. Over the years, I’ve accumulated a list of style hacks to help alleviate some of these fashion frustrations, and wanted to share the ones I find the most useful!

1. How to make a hat smaller

Fashion Frustration: When your hat is too loose and at risk of blowing away.
The Fix: Hat size reducer strips. Adjust the fit of your hat by sticking on these lightweight foam pieces. These are available in different thicknesses based on how loose your hat is, and you can stick on either more or less for the perfect fit. I own both options below and don’t have a major preference!

how to make a hat fit smaller tighter

2. How to secure a scarf or shawl

Fashion Frustration: When you want to keep a scarf secured stylishly in place without having to tie it.
The Fix: Scarf magnet. These are strong magnetic buttons that keep your scarf, shawl, or wrap in place on a windy day and won’t damage the fabric like a brooch might.

• MagneButton – Got this as a gift a few years back from my mother in law! I have the low dome pearl version which I’ve found to be very versatile, but it also comes in a variety of other designs and sizes.

how to tie a scarf pearl magnet button

3. How to Temporarily shorten a chain strap

Fashion Frustration: When the chain strap on your purse is too long for your frame, or, if you want to wear your chain strap purse multiple ways (for example, I like to carry my Chanel flap bag with the straps extra short – see style # 2 in this blog post).

The Fix: Metal buckle hooks. See two ways that I’ve used this on my Chanel handbag: 1) hook both sides together underneath the flap to significantly shorten the shoulder strap; or 2) hook just one side to slightly shorten the overall strap. Note the buckle I have is a little too thick to hook through my older wallet on chain strap.

how to shorten a chanel bag chain strap

how to shorten a chanel classic flap bag strap

4. How to temporarily make a necklace longer

Fashion Frustration: When your necklace isn’t quite the right length for the neckline on your OOTD.

The Fix: Necklace Extender. I love how this makes my necklaces more versatile, especially for layering jewelry of different lengths.

• Kendra Scott Option – comes in several metal finishes including, gold, silver and rose gold to closely match necklaces.
5. How to secure a long belt without loops

Fashion Frustration: When your belt or bag strap tail hangs too long and either sticks out or flaps around.

The Fix: Tiny elastics in clear, black, or brown to match your strap or Belt Loopy strips. Refer to my previous blog post on this topic for more info and before & after photos!

how to resize a belt leather hole puncher

These small tools have made a big difference with a few of my fashion frustrations over the years. Hope you guys find them helpful, and please share any style solutions or hacks of your own!

style hacks for your hat scarf purse strap

29 thoughts on “5 Useful Style Solutions for Accessories

• Reply Sylvie November 7, 2019 at 11:38 am

Thank for these helpful tips! One thing I always struggle with is my skirt bunching up between my legs when I wear tights. How do you keep your skirts nice and flowy with it without tights?

• Reply Rachel November 8, 2019 at 11:30 am

hi! honest question: you don’t use slips or half-slips? that’s literally 90% of what they’re for… if you’ve never used them before: give it a shot! it works!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 8, 2019 at 12:10 pm

Agreed – slips are great for that purpose! Sharing an older post of mine where I included the half slip that I gave in both nude and black: https://www.extrapetite.com/2016/08/undergarment-guide-my-must-have-bras.html

• Reply Petite Picks November 9, 2019 at 2:40 pm

One of my favorite posts of all time! I like this one a lot, too. The scarf magnet is a great gift!

• Reply Nicha November 7, 2019 at 11:22 pm

So fab!! Very useful and practical tips, Jean. Thank you so very much.

I normally use simple safety pins to shorten my chain straps, as necklace extenders (they are hidden under my hair, anyway), or even for a belt loop.

Well, just share my tips in case someone needs a quick fix. 🙂

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 8, 2019 at 12:12 pm

Safety pins work wonders! I will admit I’ve used them for all of those purposes as well before as a quick fix ; )

• Reply miki November 7, 2019 at 11:48 pm

I adored this tip so much, especially the one about the hat!
    Miki x

• Reply Thu November 8, 2019 at 12:32 am

So helpful, thank you!!! The others were interesting to learn, but the one that most intrigued me was the magnebutton!! It’ll help with scarves I’ve given up on because wrangling a toddler made me resort to only infinity scarves. Also didn’t know these buttons can help with cardigans too – so versatile!!! Looki bt forward for getting that and referring my friends to this!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 8, 2019 at 12:13 pm

Yes, it’s great! Just make sure you take it off with both hands on each half otherwise you might go chasing after a rogue piece rolling around on the floor. I didn’t find magnet buttons to work as well on blouses or light cardigans (I ordered some options on Amazon to try) because they were more visible and sometimes too heavy for the fabric, but others might have better luck!

• Reply Janine November 8, 2019 at 1:44 am

What an amazing post!! These tips are actually so helpful, I have never ever heard of scarf magnets but oh boy do these sound like a life saver!
    Thanks so much for sharing
    Xx Janine

• Reply Mireia November 8, 2019 at 2:54 am

These are really useful tips!

Mireia from TGL

• Reply Anonymous November 8, 2019 at 3:54 am

This is so great! Thank you for the tips !!

• Reply Mary November 8, 2019 at 4:47 am

Thanks Jean! Awesome and super useful tips.

• Reply Lisa November 8, 2019 at 6:01 am

Great tips. I can see the hat tip also being helpful to keep makeup off the inside brim or hat marks off your forehead.

• Reply ral November 12, 2019 at 5:59 pm

Good point re: makeup!

• Reply Annaliese November 8, 2019 at 7:11 am

These are so simple yet so helpful!! I can’t wait to try the scarf one.

• Reply Carol Pardee November 8, 2019 at 9:06 am

Fabulous tips! I am always frustrated by long straps!

• Reply Nicole November 8, 2019 at 9:08 am

You are the best! I love your advice. Thank you for sharing.

• Reply Alexa M Johnson November 8, 2019 at 10:27 am

LOVE these hacks!

• Reply CW November 8, 2019 at 10:39 am

Thank you – now I just need a tip for keeping thigh high boots from falling down!

• Reply Nicci November 8, 2019 at 12:56 pm

These are such great tips! Thanks, Jean! 🙂

• Reply Elizabeth Tran November 8, 2019 at 3:15 pm

Your fashion hacks are always the best! <3 🙂 Thank you so much for sharing so many great tips!

XO, Elizabeth T.

• Reply Irene November 8, 2019 at 8:07 pm

Hi Jean, I have a pair of the same strap up Soludos sandals that you have, and I always have trouble keeping the straps up. Any tips on how to stop the straps falling down?

• Reply JA November 9, 2019 at 2:37 am

Thanks for all your tips. Any quick fix idea to lengthen pants from the top?
    I am sick of wearing my low waist pants (culprit for muffin top) , but they fit perfectly otherwise. Do you have any suggestions?

• Reply Ruth Josey November 9, 2019 at 2:15 pm

I love these tips! Simple fixes that sometimes we just struggle with and don’t bother to find a solution. I shared on Pinned, Posted and Tweeted!

Ruth

• Reply Fran November 10, 2019 at 11:00 am

I just ordered a Magnebutton! Thank you once again for offering a fix to a problem that I didn’t realize had an easy solution!

• Reply zoe November 12, 2019 at 10:01 am

nice stuff. I like this hat!!

• Reply Betty | CHALK Academy November 13, 2019 at 3:25 am

Thank you so much for these helpful tips! Never heard of the magnebutton but sounds like exactly what I need for my scarves when running after my kids.

On another note, do you have a post on recommendations for petite belts?

• Reply Betty | CHALK Academy November 13, 2019 at 3:26 am

Please disregard my prior question, I found your post on belt fixes and see a bunch of belts linked there. Learning so many tips from these great posts, thanks again!