Summer workwear // navy knit skirt + mixed prints

business casual work outfits petite style blog

I’ve always marveled at how women work through the last few weeks of pregnancy, especially now as I’m entering the throes of it and can barely stay put for 30 minutes (always itching to walk around, stretch out my back, prop up my legs)! To make matters more uncomfortable, work attire isn’t usually known for having the most forgiving fabrics (an essential for me at this point).

For today’s post with Ann Taylor, I chose a look comprised of all stretchy knits. This skirt is nice quality and fully lined with a second layer underneath, a feature you don’t typically find in knit skirts. The fabric is stretchy with an elastic banded waist, and the slightly asymmetrical ruching placement should help conceal trouble areas! I sized up and went with regular sizing for longer length (this skirt is available starting in 00 petite).

ann taylor navy pencil skirt petite fashion blog

navy summer work wear office outfits petite clothing
The possibilities are endless with a navy skirt, but I went with two of my favorite, staple prints here for a subtle mix-and-match look. This dotted cardigan has a tight weave to it, and is a nice medium weight to combat blasting office AC. Note the fabric content listed under petite is inaccurate – the fabric blend listed under regular sizing is correct! I stuck with my usual pre-pregnancy size for this one and like that the sleeves are 3/4 length.

polka dot cardigan office outfit petite fashion blog
Thank you to Ann Taylor for partnering on this post.

25 thoughts on “Summer workwear // navy knit skirt + mixed prints

• Reply Leslie June 25, 2018 at 12:01 pm

Do you have issues with the bottom of your shirt creating lines underneath this skirt when tucked in? I love knit pencil skirts but I hate having the lines of my tucked shirt show through. It’s worse than panty lines!

• Reply Ashley Drach June 25, 2018 at 9:24 pm

Same! This totally is a faux pa 🙈 but I will sometimes wear Spanx under my skirts and tuck my shirt in under so it smooths it more.

Otherwise, I believe Jean did a post on kind of looping the shirt and tucking it back under itself (horrible description but it’s here somewhere 😊).

Good luck!

Ashley
      ashleydrach.com

• Reply Sheila June 26, 2018 at 12:35 pm

Same here. Now I just wear bodysuits with all my pencil skirt!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite June 26, 2018 at 8:54 pm

Yes, tucked shirt lines are a pain! Since this skirt is lined and darker navy in color, it’s a little less visible. It’s also better with shirts in a silky-feeling or more fluid fabric and also with shirts that are a little more fitted. That’s why I much prefer to wear cropped-length tops (that don’t require tucking) or bodysuits, but the selection of both that are both petite-friendly and professional-looking are not that vast.

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog June 25, 2018 at 12:04 pm

Love the simple outfit, perfect for a semi-casual workplace! 🙂 ❤️

• Reply Ashley June 25, 2018 at 12:17 pm

I actually worked the day my baby was born (but from home, luckily enough!). I was convinced he would be a week late for some reason so I was planning on working until 41 weeks – make the most of Maternity leave! And then I went into labor on my due date. Contractions started at 930am, he was born the same day at 11:59pm. I had a winter pregnancy so I did a lot of dresses with Maternity tights and tunics with leggings. Definitely not normally work appropriate but I think people are more forgiving with pregnant women!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite June 26, 2018 at 8:55 pm

That’s a well-timed due date! And yes for sure, I feel there’s a little more leeway with expecting mamas and workwear.

• Reply Briana June 25, 2018 at 12:29 pm

Looks comfortable and super professional!

Briana

• Reply Roses for Fridays | by mia June 25, 2018 at 1:18 pm

Beautiful Mama to be! 🌷👍🏻🌷

• Reply Mireia June 25, 2018 at 4:39 pm

Love this outfit!

• Reply May June 25, 2018 at 6:41 pm

Love this look! Especially with the upcoming 4th of July ahead of us.

May || https://themoderness.com/

• Reply Mimi June 25, 2018 at 9:44 pm

Love your outfit. May I ask where you purchased those sunglasses? Really love the whole outfit. You look gorgeous in everything.

• Reply Rachel June 26, 2018 at 7:33 pm

Yes, wondering the same!

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite June 26, 2018 at 8:57 pm

Hi Mimi & Rachel – they are the “Lively” style by Thierry Lasry in the tokyo tortoise color. They are very pricey unforutnately, but Shopbop occasionally has sales and I have yet to find another pair of sunglasses that fit and look as good as these!

• Reply Narhee June 25, 2018 at 11:28 pm

Love this post! You look fab!

Narhee | Made in Mauve

• Reply Elizabeth T. June 26, 2018 at 2:29 am

This office look is stunning <3 🙂 I love the skirt so much! Ann Taylor really has some amazing pieces!

XO, Elizabeth

• Reply Carina Herren June 26, 2018 at 7:04 am

You make these pieces look so good! You are so glowing with that baby bump 😉 This color is really slimming and lengthening. 🙂

Carina

• Reply Shloka June 26, 2018 at 9:18 am

This is such a chic and classic combo babe! In love!

x
    Shloka

• Reply val June 26, 2018 at 11:19 am

Oh my word. Only you can make looking pregnant so chic. Ok, there are a few others. But seriously Jean. Love the way you put this outfit together – so chic.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite June 27, 2018 at 12:09 am

You’re always the sweetest, Val! xx

• Reply Michelle June 26, 2018 at 6:30 pm

I love how you mixed the stripes with the polka dots! So stinking adorable.

~Michelle

• Reply Maureen June 26, 2018 at 6:40 pm

Love the ruching of this skirt! After having a kid, I live in things that are more forgiving in the middle or at least can mask the baby tummy! So ruched items are one of the best! I knew a lot of people who worked up to the day when they had to give birth but I was lucky enough to start my maternity leave one month before. I was so glad I did. I had time to really have that mental, emotional and physical time for myself and also prep for baby. Not the nursery or baby things but just the emotional aspect of it.

Maureen | http://www.littlemisscasual.com

• Reply Alyssa June 26, 2018 at 8:54 pm

The promo code does not work. Anyone else have this issue?

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite June 27, 2018 at 12:09 am

It ended last night, unfortunately!

• Reply Carol Ramírez August 12, 2018 at 3:48 pm

Great post! These photos are gorgeous, and i love the little tidbit facts you threw in there. It makes this so much more interesting.