• I said yes

Thank you so much to everyone who shared kind words and well wishes on our recent engagement. We read each and every message, and they have really warmed our hearts. Some of them were from longtime readers, with whom I’ve been fortunate to share snippets of fashion and life through this blog over the years. Several of you have asked about the proposal, so I figured I’d share on here…

We recently purchased our first condo and are doing renovations before moving in, which means the weekend started off like any other these days: with a visit to our BFFs at Home Depot. We grabbed a few bags of soil and picked out some pieces for the bathroom…riveting stuff…(Nick claims he used his better judgment at this point and resisted popping the question in the plumbing aisle). Back at our place, we were getting ready to work so I started to change into my manual labor “scrubs.” Nick asked if I wanted to keep my normal outfit on, which should’ve been my first clue something was up. He’s usually a strong advocate for practicality, so I’m thinking…are you nuts? I’m going to be hauling tile and shoveling cow manure!

I ignored this strange advice and proceeded to put on my dirty clothes and ratty sneakers. After just a few loaded trips up and down the stairs, I was panting like a dog and desperately needed to cool off on the roof. My tomatoes needed re-potting, so I decided to busy myself with that (yes, that is now my idea of fun…I’ve fast-forwarded straight to senior citizenship). proposal 1
    Soon after, Nick came bounding onto the roof deck with multiple cameras swinging from his neck (should’ve been my second clue). I figured the boy just liked to take scenic photos, so I went on super-focused on my plants. He appeared to aimlessly wander around the roof for a while before popping up from behind me with a bunch of seed packets in his hands. “Why don’t you plant these seeds?” I glanced disinterestedly and was like, cucumbers? It’s not the season yet!proposal 2He kept on awkwardly pushing them toward me saying I should plant them, which only made me more thoroughly confused, as seen above.
    seed packet front
    It took a while for me to realize a “special” packet was wedged between the cucumber seeds… proposal 3After seeing the back of the packet, it finally started to come together. I don’t remember a word said after that except he was down on one knee, and I was vigorously nodding. And it wasn’t until the ring was on that I noticed the multiple cameras from before set up like spycams.
    seed packet backI met Nick while we were freshmen in college, but even then it wasn’t hard for me to see his patience, creativity, and huge heart – qualities that I knew I’d be lucky to have someday in a husband and the father of my children. I’m the happiest girl to be starting the next chapter of life with my biggest supporter and best friend.
    proposal 4

337 thoughts on “I said yes

• BraidsNGlasses May 8, 2014 at 1:00 pm

This was so sweet! Congratulations to both you and Nick! I'm so excited for your future togather! 🙂

• Anonymous May 8, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Congratulations to you both – what a wonderful story to share x

• Gina Griffin May 8, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Wow! What a sweet a beautiful moment! Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Kalena Cao May 8, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Congrats Jean! Can't wait to hear the wedding planning.

• Christine Mikesell May 8, 2014 at 1:44 pm

So thoughtful! Congrats, I'm so happy for you!

• Anonymous May 8, 2014 at 2:01 pm

wow…this is so very touching!! Congrats to you two!!!

• Mallivan Olinger May 8, 2014 at 2:24 pm

That is the sweetest proposal! I love the proposals where the girl is just plain confused and has to put it all together. Means so much because it meant that the guy took a lot of time to come up with a plan. Love it! Congratulations to you both!

• Lauren May 8, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Congratulations Jean & Nick! What a sweet personal proposal, beautiful! Thank you for sharing your style and personal journey with us. Cheers!

• Anonymous May 8, 2014 at 5:31 pm

ha ha That pic of you confused is priceless.
      Blessings.

• Teah May 8, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Oh that was such a sweet proposal, congratulations and best wishes on your engagement!

• Fujiyamamama May 8, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Congratulations!

• Anonymous May 8, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Congratulations Jean and Nick!! This post was a joy to read and what a endearing proposal!

• Anonymous May 8, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Another lurker here…….Congratulations! You are a beautiful person–inside and out, and I wish you a beautiful future!

• Wendys Lookbook May 8, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Oh the onions!!! :*) I'm in tears and am so happy for you and Nick! I love the reaction shot of you! You and Nick both deserve all of the happiness and love in this world! Congratulations and wishing you endless happiness, joy, and peace! <3

• Stephanie May 8, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Congratulations Jean! So happy for you 🙂 My boyfriend did something similar – he set up the DSLR while we were at a lookout on a mountain and then when he was starting to make his mini proposal speech it started to RAIN. Luckily the camera was weatherproof 😉

• Anonymous May 8, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Congratulations! Very happy for you both

• Alterations Needed May 8, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Congrats again you two! I can't wait to christen your rooftop deck with a bottle of champs and celebrate all the new beginnings this year! Love you guys!

• Anonymous May 8, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Long time reader delurking from NYC to say CONGRATS to you both.

G

• Claud May 8, 2014 at 11:50 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Claud May 8, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Aww…such a Beautiful proposal, Congrats!!! Best wishes.

• Sasa May 9, 2014 at 1:01 am

You two make a lovely couple. Congratulations and cheers!

• Jing Johnson May 9, 2014 at 1:22 am

Congratulations Jean! We've never met but from your post I could tell that you both are so talented and kind people and love each other very much. I wish you all the happiness! Can't wait to see the wedding pics. 🙂

• Anonymous May 9, 2014 at 5:46 am

Congratulations Jean and Nick! So happy for you two! Wish you two live happily ever after!

• Suzie Q May 9, 2014 at 7:00 am

Congratulations, Jean and Nick!! I'm so happy for you guys! The proposal story is so cute and sweet, and your confused facial expression is priceless 🙂 You guys seem perfect for each other, and him being your biggest supporter shines through on your blog 🙂 Looking forward to seeing snippets of your next chapter of life on here!

Suzie Q

• Meghan Silva May 9, 2014 at 8:31 am

Awwww congrats honey. Wish you many many years ahead of love and prosperity.

Meg | Meghan Silva's Blog

• pinkframboise May 9, 2014 at 8:52 am

As a long time reader who never comments, I have been wondering when you we getting engaged. I love following your blog and especially this particular entry. Congratulations to you and Nick!! Looking forward to reading about the wedding planning!! 🙂

• Michelle May 9, 2014 at 12:41 pm

congrats again! thank you for sharing this special moment with your readers. I appreciate your blog and I'm always impressed with the effort and quality of your posts. thanks again 🙂

• Arts May 9, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Hi Jean, I'm a long time reader and love your blog. I don't often comment, but thought I should definitely mention something for this…this is the cutest and quite creative proposal. Congratulations to you both, you make such a cute pair..May you have the most fulfilling life filled with happiness and love.

• Christine May 9, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Congrats Jean!!! So so happy for you guys to start this new chapter in your life!!! The ring is GORGEOUS and the proposal story is one for the books 🙂

xx,
      Christine

• Faye Y May 9, 2014 at 3:16 pm

D'awww this made me all weepy! 😀 My proposal was in a similar scenario (minus sneaky cameras), as in I was unwittingly in very unglamorous house clothes when the Sparkly was introduced into the equation. In comparison your "casual gardening clothes" looks like a fashion plate for Country & Living. XD

Congrats once again, and wishing you and Nick an awesome wedding event (and life) up ahead!

• Jennifer J. Chow May 9, 2014 at 3:24 pm

What a wonderful proposal–I loved the wording on the packet! (I can't believe I missed this post before.) Congratulations to you and Nick!

• Anonymous May 9, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Jean, I also am a long-time follower of your blog – I read ALL of your posts :3 I just wanted to say congratulations and I wish you all the best in your engagement!

• rodelma lopez May 9, 2014 at 6:12 pm

congratulations and all the best…

• Chrissy huynh May 9, 2014 at 10:01 pm

soooooooooooo happy for you!!! you are soo cute and adorable and tiny! (pretty much very much like me) been following your blog for years but rarely comment, but this warrants a big CONGRATS!!!!!!!!! 🙂

• Anonymous May 9, 2014 at 11:20 pm

My boyfriend read your engagement story and his reactions were as follow: awwww . . . and great! I can't live up to that! Lol!!! Congratulations to the both of you. Thank you for sharing such a special moment with us. 😀

• Cara Tang May 10, 2014 at 1:25 am

Big Congratulations!!!! You too are the cutest couple in the world!!!!

• Oanh Nguyen May 10, 2014 at 8:28 am

Congratulations!!!! Know what's funny? I've only been a faithful follower for about a year, and trust your judgment in fashion.. my boyfriend and I have been living together for about 8 months and sometimes things get challanging. I read your posts, and some includes Nick where you guys coordinate outfits for various occasions… We are planning our first real vacation (being together for 4 years), 3 days in NYC, 2 days in Boston, and literally, I thought about you and Nick… then of course, my ADD mind starts to wonder when will you guys get married? Then a few days later, I saw your post on Facebook.

Congratulations!! Your blog helped me transferred from being Plain Asian Jane to just add a little color to my face. Thank you!!! Please keep this blog, not just for fashion and make up, but also share a bit of your personal life. Honestly, I love your personal blogs bc you are beautiful inside out…

Again, congratulations! Wish you guys a lifetime of happiness!! 🙂

• wwkww May 10, 2014 at 10:08 am

Soooooo happy for you! Congrats!

• myhanh May 10, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Congratulations, Jean and Nick! I was so excited to learn about your engagement! I hope that you'll be able to share some of your wedding planning process with us! Enjoy your engagement and coming months! Cheers!

• Anonymous May 10, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Congrats Jean. I am a long time follower of yours as well. Wish you guys the best.

• Anonymous May 11, 2014 at 3:20 am

Congratulations!! Loved the proposal! Wish you all the happiness in the world! 🙂

• Kellie@Sexybagsnshoes.com May 11, 2014 at 8:42 am

Awww so sweet! I especially love how he proposed in private and yet made it so special (and took pictures!) Congrats and best wishes to the future bride and groom!

• Anonymous May 11, 2014 at 10:41 am

Congratulations!

• Anonymous May 11, 2014 at 11:51 am

Congrats! :))

What nail polish are you wearing?

• Anonymous May 11, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Congratulations! Such a BEAUTIFUL proposal and ring of course =) Good luck with the wedding planning and have fun!

• fab frugirl May 11, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Congratulations, Jean and Nick, on this new adventure in your life together. I've been a long-time reader of you blog, and even though your posts are always so thoughtful, informative and well-spoken, this is my favourite post! You and Nick are so adorable together and the proposal was so sweet. I love how Nick captured your reactions by strategically placing all those "spy cams". Thank you so much for sharing such a special event with us.

Wishing you and Nick a lifetime of happiness!

• Oona May 12, 2014 at 4:40 am

I love the fact that when you made one of the most important commitments in your lives, you were both wearing your work clothes. Your blog has meant a lot to me, Jean, since I've spent years trying to put together a to-scale professional look. Your ideas are a breath of fresh air. But that professional look isn't anybody's whole life. At least, it's not the whole life of people I really want to know! Once again, you show yourself to be both beautiful and practical… characteristics that will serve both of you well long after the honeymoon is over. Have a wonderful time planning your wedding, renovating your new home, and making more sweet memories.

• Anonymous May 12, 2014 at 6:55 am

Same here! Forever lurker from Manila! Best wishes to such a beautiful couple 🙂

• kateprs May 12, 2014 at 6:34 pm

long time lurker, first time commenting. I just had to say how awesome it was that Nick did something so thoughtful and special. Also, you look so cute in your gardening gear 🙂 Best wishes!

• Nicole Dionne May 13, 2014 at 5:55 am

Congratulations!!! That's one of the most creative and cutest proposals ever!