• I said yes

Thank you so much to everyone who shared kind words and well wishes on our recent engagement. We read each and every message, and they have really warmed our hearts. Some of them were from longtime readers, with whom I’ve been fortunate to share snippets of fashion and life through this blog over the years. Several of you have asked about the proposal, so I figured I’d share on here…

We recently purchased our first condo and are doing renovations before moving in, which means the weekend started off like any other these days: with a visit to our BFFs at Home Depot. We grabbed a few bags of soil and picked out some pieces for the bathroom…riveting stuff…(Nick claims he used his better judgment at this point and resisted popping the question in the plumbing aisle). Back at our place, we were getting ready to work so I started to change into my manual labor “scrubs.” Nick asked if I wanted to keep my normal outfit on, which should’ve been my first clue something was up. He’s usually a strong advocate for practicality, so I’m thinking…are you nuts? I’m going to be hauling tile and shoveling cow manure!

I ignored this strange advice and proceeded to put on my dirty clothes and ratty sneakers. After just a few loaded trips up and down the stairs, I was panting like a dog and desperately needed to cool off on the roof. My tomatoes needed re-potting, so I decided to busy myself with that (yes, that is now my idea of fun…I’ve fast-forwarded straight to senior citizenship). proposal 1
    Soon after, Nick came bounding onto the roof deck with multiple cameras swinging from his neck (should’ve been my second clue). I figured the boy just liked to take scenic photos, so I went on super-focused on my plants. He appeared to aimlessly wander around the roof for a while before popping up from behind me with a bunch of seed packets in his hands. “Why don’t you plant these seeds?” I glanced disinterestedly and was like, cucumbers? It’s not the season yet!proposal 2He kept on awkwardly pushing them toward me saying I should plant them, which only made me more thoroughly confused, as seen above.
    seed packet front
    It took a while for me to realize a “special” packet was wedged between the cucumber seeds… proposal 3After seeing the back of the packet, it finally started to come together. I don’t remember a word said after that except he was down on one knee, and I was vigorously nodding. And it wasn’t until the ring was on that I noticed the multiple cameras from before set up like spycams.
    seed packet backI met Nick while we were freshmen in college, but even then it wasn’t hard for me to see his patience, creativity, and huge heart – qualities that I knew I’d be lucky to have someday in a husband and the father of my children. I’m the happiest girl to be starting the next chapter of life with my biggest supporter and best friend.
    proposal 4

337 thoughts on “I said yes

• Savitha Raj May 13, 2014 at 10:57 am

Congratulations Jean:)
      -blog reader of 2 years, admirer of you style.

• Anonymous May 13, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Congratulations!!!!! Such a sweet and creative proposal! Best wishes to you guys <3

• senzaimizushima May 13, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Oh my gosh that was so sweet perfect and cute!! Congratulations!! 😀

• meme May 13, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Hi, Congrats on your engagement!!!! I'm a lurker too…funny that some many of us suddenly post on your blog 🙂

• Natalie @ Obsessive Cooking Disorder May 13, 2014 at 8:31 pm

your facial expression is the best one haha

• Anonymous May 13, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Congratulations!

• Nati33 May 14, 2014 at 2:01 am

I love it! This brought tears of joy to my eyes and certainly gave me flashbacks to when my husband proposed. What an amazing feeling and magical day that was! Congrats again beautiful Jean! Best of luck with the wedding planning:) I wish you both a lifetime of health and happiness.

• gigisgoneshopping May 14, 2014 at 2:29 am

Congratulations!! Very creative and I love that it was all captured in photos. It becomes a blur for sure! lol

• Anonymous May 14, 2014 at 6:12 am

Another lurker here 🙂 We're all coming out to congratulate Jean and Nick 🙂

• Anonymous May 14, 2014 at 6:27 am

OMG! Congratulations.. this is the cutest proposal !!

• Sara Girão May 14, 2014 at 8:40 am

Congratulations! You will be one of the prettiest brides I will see (hope you show us the outfit) 😀

• ali May 14, 2014 at 9:45 am

Does it not get tiresome to be on film every moment of the day? I wish you well with your nuptials and much happiness. The photos looks staged though especially with the captions.

• Jean May 14, 2014 at 10:20 am

I truly appreciate the well-wishes from you and the ladies above. The photos are snaps from a video that Nick had secretly running while proposing (except for the last – once I came to my senses I had to take one for our friends where we actually both had heads : ) He said he wanted to have something to share with our families which both live far away. It was never intended for a blog post so I'm sorry to hear your sentiments. I only shared as several readers had asked about how it happened.

• Jean May 14, 2014 at 10:23 am

Thank you so much for coming out to share your kind words (from around the world, nonetheless!). We appreciate it so much.

• Jean May 14, 2014 at 10:24 am

That's amazing, Quiana! We had similar beginnings and I feel very inspired by your story.

• Jean May 14, 2014 at 10:27 am

Carolyn, I wish you and your husband many more years of that happiness. It's amazing to find someone in that earlier stage of life and grow into your own side by side.

• Jean May 14, 2014 at 10:29 am

Thank you, Oanh, and I wish you the best in your journey with your boyfriend. There are always challenges and compromises as part of an evolving and loving relationship : )

• Jean May 14, 2014 at 10:31 am

Thank you Bela and I certainly have Jen to thank for connecting us way back when : ) To answer your question, he had the cameras running on video the entire time so he could share with our families – these are "stills" from that footage.

• Sam May 14, 2014 at 2:30 pm

AHHH We got engaged on the same day. SO happy!

• Hems May 14, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I love your blog and been reading it for sometime…but got a bit busy in the middle, and now when i come back i see this.. Sweetest proposal ever.. you guys look great together… Congrats!!

• Anonymous May 16, 2014 at 1:07 am

Coming out of lurking to say congratulations & best wishes to you guys!!!

• graceRysh0p May 16, 2014 at 12:49 pm

now that's a proposal! xD
      so cute!!!!

Congratulations!!! 😀

• Ami May 16, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Congratulations on your engagement! As a gardening lover, I can't help but give Nick major kudos for doing a gardening themed proposal. One of the things I look forward to every year is planting my tomatoes, and carefully caring for them all summer. If you are looking for a new potting system looking into the Earthbox, its self-watering with a large reservoir so your tomatoes grow as huge as ones grown in the ground, but with less pests. I apologize for the little ad, but I have had such good results the three years since I purchased it I figured a fellow gardener would appreciate it!

• Anonymous May 17, 2014 at 1:13 am

Oh my gosh, congratulations Jean and Nick! I'm also a long time lurker and I love your blog. Nick did good with his proposal. Very sweet! You guys make such a great pair. Wishing you more love and happiness in the next chapter of your lives. Cheers! – JC

• stephrodu May 19, 2014 at 3:05 pm

"Delurking" as well… I can't believe I'm seeing this post so late! This has to be the cutest, most thoughtful proposal I have ever heard of/seen. You two are super cute! I can't wait to see wedding planning posts! (Please share with us!!!) 🙂

• Lakia May 22, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Congratulations! 🙂

• Aeroplane and Apparel May 23, 2014 at 3:03 am
    • Sherry Shaoyin Du May 26, 2014 at 3:29 pm

This is soooo sweet!!! Congratulations!!!

• TofuTiff May 31, 2014 at 11:10 pm

This is such a beautiful proposal! I love the "thoroughly confused" face! Congratulations to you and Nick and on this new chapter in your life. The best is yet to come!

• Olive June 9, 2014 at 5:47 pm

That is one of the sweetest proposal stories I have ever read (I teared up reading it). So happy for both you and Nick! Congratulations, and I wish you guys a lifetime of happiness together!!

• ellesy ellesy June 11, 2014 at 11:22 pm

i think i've only commented on your blog a handful of times over the years but i wanted to wish you and nick a million congratulations!! what a sweet way to propose… the "instructions" on the back of the seeds envelope were perfect. thank you for sharing your story! x

• Anonymous June 12, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Congratulations Jean! (Longtime lurker and absolute fan of yours) 😉

• Anonymous June 15, 2014 at 2:57 pm

It's so sweet how you chronicled this special event in your life through your blog. Congrats to the beautiful couple!

• Mom (Míriam) October 5, 2014 at 6:32 pm

May God bless your mariage! Love, happiness and a lot of laughts!

• Anonymous March 31, 2015 at 10:41 am

Hi Jean, I didn't have the chance to read this post when you posted last year.

This is such a cute proposal and so sweet. It makes me filled with joy reading this. You both are so lucky to have found each other.

-Tiffany

• Heidi Hui September 1, 2015 at 4:38 pm

this is very similar to how my husband proposal. 🙂 Love your blogs!!!! xoxo

• Heidi Hui September 1, 2015 at 4:40 pm

This is very similar to how my husband propose to me. Love your blogs !!! xoxo