DIY: How to make a bra strap converter for low-back dresses

Wearing a low-back dress? Extra Petite, Boston style blogger shares a DIY version of a bra strap converter. It's super easy and simple to do!
If you’ve ever passed on a low-back top or dress due to qualms about what bra to wear, here’s a quick DIY project that might nix such qualms in the future. After posting about a few holiday dresses this season, several readers (thank you all!) informed me about a low-back bra converter. It’s very affordable to buy, but not always easy to find right when you need it.

DIY BRA STRAP CONVERTER

Thankfully, the converter design is not rocket science. The night before my event, I scrounged up some supplies at home and finished a bra strap converter on my own in 5 minutes. All you need is:
DIY Bra Strap Converter for Low-Back Dresses
Directions:

1) Snip off the clasps from an old bra, making sure to leave enough “band” on to attach to the elastic. Bra clasps for the most part are universally sized, but do test out the clasps on the bra you plan on wearing just to be sure.

2) Sew one clasp to the end of an elastic band. Make sure you sew it on securely because there will be tension pulling on the band.

3) Clasp it on one end of your bra, and wrap around your tummy to measure the length you need. You want it to be taut so that the tension pulls the back of bra band down low enough, but not so tight that you’re uncomfortable. Cut your elastic to the length you need, then sew on the second clasp. Voila! This will not work on completely back-less items, but is adjustable enough to work on a range of lower-dipping backs.

Photo for illustrative purposes only…please resist any snickering : )

DIY Bra Strap Converter

A few of you have asked how the Zara sequin dress in XS worked out, so here is a belated update. There was once a time when I’d go for the tightest fit possible, but that time has long passed. The XS will work nicely for some, but on me, it was very snug and less flattering than the small. For reference, I’m about 5ft tall and 32-24-32.

Small (left)  vs  X-Small (right)

I’ve mentioned before that I find clothing to be most flattering when it just skims your figure – and this is most evident in the side view comparison of these two dresses:

Small (left)  vs  X-Small (right)

Bra Strap Converter
I did find the waist on the S to be slightly loose, and altered it last minute by making a small incision along the inner lining. There’s a zipper along one side of the torso (which I didn’t want to touch), so I took in the other side by about an inch, right at the waist line. The amount was small enough to not make the dress too lopsided, but enough to make a little difference in the overall silhouette. Photos above are post- DIY alteration.

DIY Bra Strap Converter
Readers – Please share your favorite undergarment solutions for tricky clothing designs!

79 Comments

1. Anonymous wrote:

Awesome tutorial. I did perfectly and was so comfortable. I pulled the elastic down my pelvic instead of around my waist or tummy and it was much more comfortable. God bless you. Thanks.

Posted 12.15.13 Reply
  2. OKB wrote:

can you buy just bra clasps? I really want to do this but don't have a bra to spare / cut up at the moment. great tutorial!

Posted 12.7.13 Reply
  3. missmisz wrote:

This tutorial is great! I made a very successful one! Thanks 🙂

Posted 11.21.13 Reply
  4. Hi! My dress is very very low. Will this work? Or do ineed to have the elastic longer?

Posted 11.18.13 Reply
  5. Jean wrote:

I wouldn't recommend for a strapless, because it would probably pull it down too much without the support of two shoulder straps.

Posted 10.2.13 Reply
  6. christina wrote:

wondering the same thing!

Posted 6.1.13 Reply
  7. Cali wrote:

This is so helpful! do you think it would work for a strapless bra for a wedding dress though? or would it just pull the bra down?

Posted 5.28.13 Reply
  8. Donna wrote:

Oh my word….talk about a money saver! This was a fantastic tutorial and it worked like a charm! Thanks so much!

Posted 5.16.13 Reply
  9. Rebecca wrote:

I love this! Glad I didn't throw out some of those old bras yet – I knew they would be good for something!

Posted 3.11.13 Reply
  10. Magda E. wrote:

Hi! I just found this blog and fell in love. I am "extra petite" too and I love your tips! This is a great one, since I don't dare NOT wearing a bra, and I had to pass on some dresses because of the lower back and bra's showing!

Posted 2.24.13 Reply
  11. Anonymous wrote:

For shirts, that's what garters are for! If you're comfortable wearing thigh high hose, use garters to keep the hose up and the shirt tucked nicely.

Posted 1.30.13 Reply
  12. Wow. Amazing idea, i will try my old bra, thanks for sharing very useful idea.
    i will share with my friend. i will apply my old wonderbra .

Posted 1.18.13 Reply
  13. This is such a good idea! I feel like I've passed up on way too many low back dresses now I know how to make my own low back bra! Thanks for the tutorial (:

♥♥♥ from

Posted 1.16.13 Reply
  14. Anonymous wrote:

Great idea, very useful and ingenious! : )

Posted 1.2.13 Reply
  15. Anonymous wrote:

Agree 100%, great post!

Posted 1.2.13 Reply
  16. Thank you for wearing your bra on top of your dress!!! It really helps me rig up my own for all the low back dresses over the holidays.

Posted 12.28.12 Reply
  17. You look gorgeous in this sequins dress and it's so wonderful to read that you had a beautiful Christmas time…those are the best presents…good memories 😉
    Thanks for sharing the bra trick…this will definitely be used soon!!
    Have a fabulous New Year's!!
    XOXO

Posted 12.27.12 Reply
  18. Anonymous wrote:

That's a very cool idea! Will keep it in mind if I ever need to hide the strap in the back. Thanks for sharing!

-Kit

Posted 12.24.12 Reply
  19. GEMMA wrote:

I have done the same thing on the SAME dress!

Check out my blog: http://www.gemmamonclus.blogspot.com

Love,Gemma

Posted 12.23.12 Reply
  20. yuliLoo wrote:

helpful idea))

Posted 12.22.12 Reply
  21. I love that you are brave enough to photo yourself with the bra on the outside of the garment. You are wonderful and so creative with your solutions. Genius, I say!!! And great reminder that even though the XS fit, the S was definitely more flattering and less hoochy. Great lil alteration you did at the waist!

Posted 12.21.12 Reply
  22. arika wrote:

I just purchased the sequin dress in xs it was on sale online. I tried both the xs and s on. I maybe a tad bit smaller than you. The small is quite loose on the chest area waist and the skirt flared a little at the bottom. Hope I didn't regret getting the xs ones 🙂 btw I purchased the dress cause It looked great on you. And I waited till it went on sale glad they still have my size.

Posted 12.21.12 Reply
  23. Mady T. wrote:

love your tip with the bra…you really know how to make cloths feet your body…congrats!

xoxo
    Mady

thegirlfromthemirror.blogspot.com

Posted 12.20.12 Reply
  24. This has been really helpful. I've got a dress which I bought years ago, still unworn because I have no idea how NOT to get the bra straps showing on the back. Brilliant idea. And very frugal too. Thank you so much for showing this.

Posted 12.20.12 Reply
  25. Phoebe wrote:

Jean, I was wondering if you had some tips about shrinking 100% cotton items (like a simple t-shirt)? I know you mention shrinking using the washer/dryer at times, but any specific directions/tips would be super appreciated!

Posted 12.20.12 Reply
  26. Anonymous wrote:

Nice! Thanks for diy! And the dress looks amazing on you.

Posted 12.20.12 Reply
  27. MangoLily wrote:

Love your idea, very creative.

Posted 12.19.12 Reply
  28. Amazing DIY! I always need help with this!

Posted 12.19.12 Reply
  29. Shweta wrote:

I just came across your blog today and am so excited!!! I'm extra petite also, and feel like I've found a kindred spirit 😉 Thank!
    Shweta

Posted 12.19.12 Reply
  30. Janki wrote:

I find that your attention to those little details helps us all dress better and understand proper fit. I'm now always on the lookout for the S curve and blouse gaping. And I'm realizing that for me, mid knee is the perfect hem, even if it means hemming just an inch to get it right. I often go thrifting and will pick up sizes that are per-vanity days. Now, I bring a tape measure and look for ways to DIY alter, per your awesome posts.

Posted 12.19.12 Reply
  31. Susanna wrote:

Great post! And the pictures are helpful. I'm familiar with this converter and you are right about it being difficult to find. I've never thought I could made it myself but it seems to be very easy. Thanks for the tip!

Posted 12.19.12 Reply
  32. Debora wrote:

Love the way you explained the process with the bra… the pictures were great! I was initially a little confused and started skimming through the content (short attention span!) but was able to follow with the step by step pictures. I will have to give it a go!

Posted 12.19.12 Reply
  33. I feel so enlightened, like I've been doing it wrong all these years! Hahaha!
    I'm afraid that may wear out the elastic much faster than usual?

xoxo

Posted 12.19.12 Reply
  34. This comment has been removed by the author.

Posted 12.19.12 Reply
  35. Steffi wrote:

What a clever idea, Jean! I have passed on several low back outfits because I couldn't be bothered to find appropriate bra. Bookmarking this for reference.

Posted 12.18.12 Reply
  36. I'm so glad I found your blog. I am also petite and just started my own blog where I'll be posting fashion and clothing items that I've sewn and altered. I have to agree that the small size looks so much better. I have also realized as I get older that tight, no matter how small you are, is not really flattering. Unless you are 5 years old. 🙂 Look forward to more posts.

37. Suzie Q wrote:

You're so clever, great DIY bra converter! Also, great comparison between the small and XS of the dress. That dress is absoulutely gorgeous!

xoxo,
    Suzie Q

38. Anonymous wrote:

Have you tried oblique workouts? You can work on just one side.

Posted 12.18.12 Reply
  39. A belt usually helps for me. If it's a super silky skirt, I sew on a little velvet or other similar fabric along the inner waistband for a little friction, especially if I am wearing tights. That solves it for me! HTH.

40. newpetite wrote:

That is genius! I have put down many dresses so many times because of hits. But not any more!!

41. Bromeliad wrote:

Part of what makes it rotate is your bag. If you carry a bag on both shoulders, it helps a tiny bit.

42. Bromeliad wrote:

You are such a smarty.

I use a paperclip to adjust bra for racerback tops.

43. Anonymous wrote:

Agree 100% – well said ladies and thank you Jean!

Posted 12.18.12 Reply
  44. Great tip…awesome dress!

Posted 12.18.12 Reply
  45. Such a genius idea! I actually use those "Nu-bra" things whenever I have a low cut/backless/strapless dress!

-Stephanie
    @LaminLouboutins.blogspot.com

46. Carol wrote:

You are adorable and ingenious. I can't sew, so I'll be buying the $8 version from Amazon. Thanks for the tip!

47. Sabrina wrote:

About the Zara dress and its fit… I'm actually quite surprised, because Zara's XS have always been a bit loose on me (and I'm saying that as a slightly curvier girl at 4'10" and fluctuating between 90-95), so I guess their sizing is bit erratic? Anyway, you look absolutely smashing in that dress and that bra strap converter? GENIUS! I know that I've personally hesitated or put down dresses because I otherwise had no idea how to conceal my bra. Thanks for yet another brilliant DIY, Jean! 🙂

xo,
    Sabrina

48. Sabrina wrote:

This comment has been removed by the author.

49. Anonymous wrote:

I'm not crafty at all–and lazy too! Victoria's Secret Very Sexy convertible bras all come with matching bra converters. These converters can be used with any other bra. I personally have 3. Worth checking into! Jean, i love your posts and always look forward to them.

50. Tien wrote:

This the an awesome tip Jean!! I have a dress I'm wearing to a wedding with a low back and it's lacy too! Do you have any tips for bra wearing or are pasties my only option?!

Tien xo

51. love this tip. i didn't snicker until you told me NOT to snicker!! 🙂

the dress is beautiful on you – i'm so glad you got it. xox

52. Anonymous wrote:

Totally agree. I love that you don't give in to vanity sizing and instead look for the most flattering fit. I can be guilty of it from time to time, but the reminder and evidence is right here: the S with slight alterations looks incredible on you! I also appreciate that you are willing to showcase true fit on your blog, so that the readers who don't live in a shopping metropolis can ascertain how clothes will really fit. I can judge how well an item will fit me based on your reviews. Thanks for blogging with integrity!
    ~Shirley

53. Candice wrote:

Hi Jean,

Thanks for sharing this great bra DIY! It's very useful. I too would love a tutorial on how to keep a skirt from rotating.

You looked great in the S sequin dress.

54. Petite-ish wrote:

I too would love a tutorial on how to keep a skirt from rotating! And this bra-strap fix is brilliant. Thanks, Jean!

55. Emily wrote:

I third the rotating skirt dilemma!

56. Jane wrote:

Not "taught" but "taut."

Sorry to be so English-teachery.

Posted 12.18.12 Reply
  57. This is such a great tip! Genius! Thanks for sharing!

Posted 12.18.12 Reply
  58. Thank you so much for this DIY!

Posted 12.18.12 Reply
  59. I love that you recognize the fact that just because you can technically fit in a smaller size, it might not be the most flattering. I'm not petite at all (far from it) and I find a lot of helpful information, especially about fit and customization. I see way too many people who get excited because the zipper goes all the way on a dress or pair of pants, without realizing it's not at all flattering, and going up a size would actually make them look smaller. Thanks for reminding us it's not about the tag on the inside that no one else will see!

60. So helpful and ingenious, and I did not even think of snickering! 😉

61. Carol Li wrote:

What a great post. It looks so easy that I might even attempt it!

Posted 12.18.12 Reply
  62. wow awesome! i'm gonna keep this in the back of my head next time i want to buy a low back dress.

63. I Am Alexa wrote:

Whenever I wear low back/ backless dresses, I usually just wear an adhesive bra. But thank you for sharing this solution! Awesome idea! 🙂

64. Anonymous wrote:

Love this! Great dress!

65. Sabrina wrote:

What a great idea with the bra! And your comparison pictures really make me think about some pieces in my wardrobe and if they are too tight or not. Now I see the difference one size bigger can make, I am not quite sure anymore.
    Anyway, great and helpful post!

x
    Sabrina

66. jen chung wrote:

Dang you are patient! I would've just worn pasties LOL. Love this more appropriate solution though, thank you for sharing! 🙂

67. Anonymous wrote:

I noticed that your waist line looks unbalance after the post alteration photo. Could it be due to the one inch incision at only ONE side of the dress? I personally have an imbalance waistline. Do u have any idea how to overcome this problem? My right waistline is straight down, while my left side is more like hourglass shape. I'm so sad :'(
    Adelia

68. Anonymous wrote:

I think Jean mentioned in her YouTube video before. U can tuck your top into your underwear (a full underwear, not g-string or mini version).

As for how to prevent pencil skirt from rotating, hey Jean, I would love to know too! 🙂

69. Anonymous wrote:

this is an awesome idea! and simple to make too:) thanks jean!

Posted 12.18.12 Reply
  70. Brilliant – I seriously would have never thought to do that myself, thanks for sharing!

71. Jenny B. wrote:

What a ingenious DIY. This will definitely come in handy with some of my scoop-back dresses. Thank you for sharing Jean!!

72. Jenny B. wrote:

This comment has been removed by the author.

Posted 12.18.12 Reply
  73. I gained quite a bit of weight this winter, so I was debating between the Small and the Medium. The Small was tight but looked sexy. The Medium was loose, but looked classier and could probably be worn again for classy events. I was going to get the Medium and get it taken it; however two Sales Assistants highly suggested that I get the tight-fitting Small instead. I hope my date likes it for NYE!

74. Michelle wrote:

Genius idea, Jean!! I do usually avoid dresses/tops with plunging backs for that reason. Now I will re-think if I am ever in love with a piece with a lower back. 🙂

75. lin wrote:

thanks. this idea for bra strap converters will be very useful when i wear my low-back dresses or tops.

you are totally correct in that the s sequin dress looked so much more flattering than the xs. it looks great on you after the slight alteration.

76. Vickai! wrote:

YES! I would LOVE tips on that. Also how to keep pencil skirts from rotating… 😉

77. Tiffany wrote:

Great solution to lower items. Do you have a solution to prevent tops from moving around when you wear them with a pencil skirt? If so, I would love to know!

78. rhaindropz wrote:

wow.. this is helpful =) thank you

Get the newsletter!

What updates would you like?