• Spotted Slim Pants + J.Crew Red Edie Bag (now on sale)

rededie5
    J.Crew Edie Purse in 7 colors (use SHOPNOW for extra 30% off, good til 8/7), eBay rope pearls
    Ann Taylor sandals (use FRIENDSFB for extra 30% off), H&M; spotted pants (sz 2, $12.95) & blouse
    Thanks to JCA for sharing the unpublished code SHOPNOW, good for an extra 30% off sale items on J.Crew online. The discount makes this little bag $138.60, and still available in 7 rich colors. I got mine for $95 after calling several places using their in-store locator system – but I was told red was the only color at that price, and that I got one of the last ones left nation-wide at the clearance price (this was 2 weeks ago).

rededie

This bag is a lovely size for something with a smaller frame and can be worn three ways. You can carry it from the top handle as a handbag (above), sling it casually from your shoulders using the detachable long strap (below)…

rededie4
    Or you can loop the handle over your arm satchel-style…

rededie2
    It is no secret that J.Crew has been taking liberal inspiration from handbag designers (Tillary toteCeline luggage tote), and the Edie bag is no exception. For my little red bag cravings, I had been eying Coach’s vintage red court bags via e Bay and was struck by the unmistakable similarities. I’m not a fan of Coach’s overdone logo canvas, however some their older leather bag designs are timeless and functional. Despite loving the original Coach, I went for the Edie because I could get a new/clean bag for less (the pre-owned red court bags were going for $100-$150), and I was a bit skeeved out by stains I saw on the older suede interiors.
    rededie3
    These H&M; spotted pants are a recent purchase that I am very happy with. They jumped out at me on the website – and once I saw the $12.95 price tag, I marched straight to the store after work. I was worried that crazy animal pants would be unpopular with the boyfriend, but he gave a surprising thumbs up. I toned down the print with a solid top and neutral shoes, but added a small punch of color back with a classic red and gold bag.

Left: off the rack fit vs. hemmed + tapered   Right: unaltered and rolled up, styled with basic black

rededie6
    The sz 2 in these pants fit me well throughout the waist and hips, but I must point out the extremely high-waist which I have been wearing folded down. Also, the length is meant for someone several inches taller than me and thus doesn’t taper down enough by my natural ankles. You can resolve this by rolling them up in cuffs, or by slimming down the pant leg and hemming as shown above.
    rededie1
    See this bag in oasis green and sagebrush on Elle (plus a wonderfully thorough review), and the pecan color on Kelly. Despite ordering my bag on final sale, sight unseen (FYI – it is not final sale online), I was confident that it would look proportionate on me having seen these two ladies tote it frequently and lovingly. Please note that both of them have mentioned that this leather is scratch-prone. I haven’t noticed this on my red one yet, but have adjusted my expectations accordingly and decided I wouldn’t mind some scratches to give it a more weathered, vintage look.

Readers – Have you fallen yet for the little red bag? Please share any other classic and affordable options!

91 thoughts on “Spotted Slim Pants + J.Crew Red Edie Bag (now on sale)

• jules August 6, 2012 at 2:03 pm

i love these pants jean!

xo julesinflats.blogspot.com

• Aviva August 6, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Thanks so much for the alert! I'd been wanting the Edie bag for a while now, but couldn't stomach it at full price. I'm getting the cobalt color and I'm so excited!

• My Dressy Ways August 6, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Gorgeous! When you first posted a picture of this bag, I thought it might be the one from F21 I had been eyeing just a week or so before. Of course it's not though! Those pants and sandals are fantastic!

• Always Maylee August 6, 2012 at 3:12 pm

You look so beautiful! I love those pants and I've been eyeing that bag forever!

xo, Yi-chia
      Always Maylee

• Michelle August 6, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I was thinking the same thing as DSK Steph…101 Dalmatians! Those pants are so fun…I was actually thinking they were J. Crew. The price you paid is great!

That purse keeps taunting me! I really wanted it in the pretty turquoise color, but never pulled the trigger. That is awesome that you found it for under $100!!

Thanks for sharing the SHOPNOW code! I might have to give the site another look…I have a few items I want to pick up for the upcoming school year.

• gcwelham August 6, 2012 at 7:05 pm

LOVE the pants, especially with the red bag!!

Question about the Edie bag. I was looking at the Little Edie bag, and couldn't decide if the bigger one was a little too big for non-work purposes, and the little one a little too small. I haven't seen either one in person. Any thoughts?

• newpetite August 6, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Those are some fun pants! You look lovely and love the red bag!!

• Anonymous August 6, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Hi, I love your blog–always so classy and chic! Also, I came across this article about "cheap" fashion and I was wondering what your thoughts on it were. http://business.time.com/2012/07/26/need-for-speed/

• lisacng August 6, 2012 at 11:43 pm

The pants are awesome!! Love black red combo!!

• Joy August 7, 2012 at 12:49 am

that is a sweet little classic bag. It goes great with your outfit.
      I wish I could alter as well as you do. those pants are perfect on you now.

• Malika August 7, 2012 at 2:41 am

I like the way you have paired the spotted pants.Looks very classy.

• Margherita August 7, 2012 at 4:30 am

Love the pants!

• Anonymous August 7, 2012 at 6:15 am

I'd love to see your take on what to wear for an interview!

• Anonymous August 7, 2012 at 10:20 am

hi. Congrats on passing your level 3 examination. I forgot to tell you at copley that i follow your blog but was caught in the moment. 🙂

• Stella August 7, 2012 at 11:26 am

Gorgeous! And that satchel is so cute!

• Grace Lee August 7, 2012 at 11:42 am

Love how the red and dots pop! Reminds me of Cruella de Vil and the dalmatians. Also, I wanted to share how excited I was to have spotted you on banner of the Style Snaps page of Stella & Dot! (http://www.stelladot.com/content/instagram)

• LY August 7, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Have you done your review video for the new Prada bag? looking forward to the video! I ordered the same one following you, but can't wait to see your video when mine is still on the way to me 🙂

• tien August 7, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Great idea with a pop of colour in the accessories. I struggle with the crease-proneness of H&M; pants but I love the way these sit on you. Also love how you style your hair too – do you have any tips ? Would love a video if you get a chance!

Tien xo

• Kat August 7, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Thanks for the shopping codes! Love when people share the knowledge wealth!

kat
      aneyeforfashion.blogspot.com

• Pier 39 Prep August 7, 2012 at 8:42 pm

That bag is beautiful! And I'm surprised at the quality of those H&M; pants! They look wayyyyy more expensive than $13!

• Anh August 7, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Jean, this outfit looks so polished, even with spotted pants! For some reason H&M; pants never look good on me, though. They always fit funny in the hips area. You're lucky they fit you well because they're so cheap!

By the way, who took these photos? They look great!

xo,
      Anh

• Vi-Lan Aram August 7, 2012 at 10:23 pm

So classy 🙂 Love your aesthetic.

xo

adoreandleer.blogspot.com

• PetiteAsianGirl August 9, 2012 at 12:53 am

Thank you, Anh! My boyfriend snapped these.

• PetiteAsianGirl August 9, 2012 at 12:54 am

I tried filming but wasn't sure if it was successful. I absolutely love the bag though and will do a post within the next 2 weeks. Hope you are happy with yours too!

• PetiteAsianGirl August 9, 2012 at 12:55 am

Hi Tien – I struggle with hair and would like to get a small barreled iron, but in the mean time (as in these pics) I just sleep with it in a loose bun for the waves.

• PetiteAsianGirl August 9, 2012 at 12:56 am

Thank you for sharing, Grace! I had no idea I was on there – very exciting. And I agree with your Cruella de Ville reference…I kNEW I was inspired somewhere ; )

• PetiteAsianGirl August 9, 2012 at 12:56 am

Thank you! I cannot believe you're actually a reader! Hope you celebrated the years of hard work : )

• PetiteAsianGirl August 9, 2012 at 12:57 am

Black suit, feminine blouse (not too low cut), pearls, and 3.5" heels : )

• PetiteAsianGirl August 9, 2012 at 12:58 am

I think I saw the little one in person and it was really small. The "big" Edie really isn't too big in person, even for someone my size (~5 feet tall).

• PetiteAsianGirl August 9, 2012 at 12:59 am

Hi Annapurna! I saw all those things! : ) Trying to buy as little as possible from there (until fall arrivals hit, at least).

• PetiteAsianGirl August 9, 2012 at 12:59 am

Amazing find!

• Monica Gava August 9, 2012 at 3:38 am

How come I can't find some nice pants like that on my local HM? You look amazing!!!

• Giselle August 9, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I wanted to ask about your hairstyle! Your hair always looks amazing. I have really long hair and want to shorten it. Do you get your hair cut in layers to add bounce?

• sophié August 11, 2012 at 12:54 pm

sounds really good! hope you decide to do a REVIEW of back suits for interviews…

• Kelly August 12, 2012 at 6:23 am

Chic and lovely!! Really loving the spotted pants 🙂

xoxo
      Kelly

• Iulia B. August 13, 2012 at 4:07 am

Nice outfit o.O. I love ur pants xoxo

• Kelly August 16, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Love those pants! I bought the spotted dress and did some major streamlining and it looks really cute. They didn't have the pants at my store at the time, but I definitely need to go check back in now. Hope I'm not too late!

• Anonymous August 25, 2012 at 12:31 pm
    • ipad 3 cover September 12, 2012 at 5:04 am

the pants are great! Love the color!

• Anonymous September 13, 2012 at 9:23 am

A new H&M; store opened recently near me, and I finally made it there yesterday. Looking around the store I found one pair left of those "Cruella de Ville" pants and lo and behold, they were a size 4 (perfect for me, since H&M; is just about the only place that hasn't vanity sized me down to a 0). I tried them on and was delighted that they fit perfectly. And for the price ($12.95!) how could I pass them up? I only wish I had had those pants a few years ago when I dressed as Cruella de Ville for Halloween (taking my little boys dressed as dalmatian puppies trick-or-treating).

• elarmariodelanena June 17, 2013 at 3:39 pm