Travel & Food Guide // charming Charleston, South Carolina

Charleston has been on our weekend getaway list for a while now – having lived in the Carolinas, the South will always have a place in my heart. We were drawn there for the small-city charm, and left feeling warm from all the Southern hospitality (people actually smile and say hello on the streets?) and yummy food. It’s also hard to miss the deeply-rooted history that surrounds you in the city, which we only began to gain an appreciation for during this visit. Thank you to Charleston CVB for hosting us with flight and lodging on this visit. I’ve shared our trip highlights and favorite eats below, and already can’t wait to visit again.
charleston sc vacation travel food guide
Getting around: For fellow Bostonians, Charleston is luckily a short, approx. 2 hour flight away via JetBlue, which offers two direct flights daily. We barely got into our Fixer Upper marathon (Chip + Joanna = #couplegoals) when we had already landed. From the CHS airport, downtown Charleston is about a 20 minute ride away. We were told we wouldn’t need a rental car and I’d definitely agree, as the city was extremely easy to navigate via foot, bike, or ride-sharing. At the bottom of this post I’ve included our custom map, which we usually make for each trip to see where places are in proximity to each other.
charleston french quarter
Scenic stops:
Rainbow Row: Iconic slew of 13 colorful houses that you always see in Charleston photos (shown in my first picture above). These were mostly built in the late 1700s and restored in the early 1900’s.

– French Quarter: our favorite sightseeing activity was just walking around this historical area admiring all of the colorful buildings! The walk from Rainbow Row up Church Street was very picturesque, and took us ages to get anywhere since Nick stopped every block to snap photos while squealing “cute!” In this area you’ll also find the City Market, where ladies hand-weave and sell traditional sweetgrass baskets (these were used during the Colonial Era to sift rice) amongst other souvenirs.

Waterfront Park: Park overlooking Charleston Harbor, featuring a very pretty pineapple-shaped fountain that represents Southern hospitality.

Historic plantations: Both Middleton Place and Magnolia Plantation were recommended to us, but we didn’t make it due to rain. Both of these date back to the 1600s and embody generations of history. Please note these are about 30 minutes out of the city, while everything else mentioned here is within a smaller radius of downtown Charleston.
what to wear_tourist travel outfit spring
College of Charleston: if you’re in the area, this campus is rather pretty (dubbed a “Southern Harvard Yard” by Nick). It was interesting seeing dorms and school buildings being housed inside charming pastel buildings. We picked up some food truck fare and enjoyed it on a bench surrounded with blooms, right by the school’s iconic Cistern building (near the intersection of George & Glebe Streets).

Other Activities:
Horse-drawn carriage tour: You’ll frequently hear the clippity-clop of horse-drawn carriages around the downtown area. To avoid route congestion, the city requires that each carriage stop at a little powerball machine of sorts, which assigns the tour one of 3 possible routes. So what sights you’ll get to see on your carriage ride is up to the carriage powerball gods. We rode with Old South Carriage Co and our guide was very knowledgeable and passionate about the history of the city.
What to do in Charleston South Carolina_Horse Carriage Tour
Cooking class: We both love to cook, eat, and explore local traditions, so a cooking class on how to make southern fare was right up our alley. I think this will be a new tradition for us when traveling! I’m bummed that the company we went to is closed, but here are some alternatives: In the kitchen with Chef Bob Waggoner, cooking classes at Zero Geroge hotel, or dinner at R Kitchen where you don’t do any cooking yourself, but watch a chef prepare your food and talk through the meal.
candlefish candle making class charleston visit guide
Candle-making class: One of our male friends sheepishly told us Candlefish was his favorite Charleston shop, and upon stepping in we could certainly see why. It is so well-designed there and everyone was so friendly. Nick being an advertising nut was chatting them up about all the label fonts and branding, while I was fulfilling my Beauty & the Beast dreams sniffing the 100 scent combos on the wall. You can even make your own candles at their BYOB-style classes – what beats candles and wine? We were told classes fill up early so if you are visiting, plan ahead!

Shopping along King Street: We stayed right on this street full of shopping, which was convenient for Nick to pick up new outfits (his luggage got routed to Orlando by accident, ha!). There’s the usual suspects J.Crew, Banana Republic, Kate Spade, etc. but also local boutiques like Hampden Clothing (with a bar for male companions…music to Nick’s ears) or Candy Shop Vintage.

Where we stayed: There’s lots of hotel choices, and everything in the downtown area is often within just a mile or so walk. We like trying boutique hotels and really loved the two we stayed at, each with a distinct feel. The Restoration is right on busting and central King Street, with a more modern design but several nods to history throughout. The hotel was restored just a few months ago, and our room was very spacious – bigger than our home in Boston! We loved the little menu each night where you order complimentary breakfast items, to be delivered the next morning in cute picnic baskets.
The Restoration on King Hotel Charleston SC
Our other hotel, Zero George, is exactly what I imagine traditional charming Charleston to be. It’s picture-esque to say the least, and perfect for a romantic getaway with just 12 guest rooms. The property is located in a quieter neighborhood but still walkable to numerous places that we went. See more photos of the stunning property in my post here.
charleston SC ordinary restaurant_hominy grill

Left: The Ordinary // Right: Hominy Grill

Now for the fun part…where to Eat:

Hominy Grill ($$): quaint, casual restaurant serving Southern comfort food from James Beard award-winning chef Robert Stehling. It’s first-come-first-serve, but the long lines at brunch went by quickly, plus you can order drinks at the takeout window while waiting. What to get: shrimp & grits (although I really wanted to try their shimp étouffée with rice), she-crab soup with crab roe, and anything with the pickled okra. Their other popular dish we saw on many tables is the “Charleston nasty,” which is fried chicken in a biscuit with sausage gravy poured over – no calorie counting allowed there!

The Ordinary ($$$): American new-style food with lots of seafood options and good rum-based drinks. Located inside a converted bank with the kitchen inside the former vault. We popped in here to satisfy our search for local oysters, since many other places served mostly northeast oysters that we have plenty of in Boston.

Husk ($$$) – going to this restaurant and whiskey bar was Nick’s “only wish” (as a big fan of another James Beard award-winning chef Sean Brock), thus I was hustled there hours before opening to make sure we could get on the waitlist. The shrimp & grits dish I wanted to try turned out to be lunch-only, but just another reason to go back! You can also just try to get a seat at their bar next door for what I heard is a pretty good burger, and some of the same small plates served in the restaurant.

Callie’s Hot Little Biscuit ($) – large array of freshly-made, sweet or savory southern biscuits. We didn’t actually go here but Zero George gets their biscuits each morning for breakfast, and they were buttery and flaky indeed.
dinner FIG restaurant Charleston SC best food

FIG ricotta-filled gnocchi and seafood stew over rice

– FIG ($$$): American new-style place with a bar area for walk-ins. What to get: Ricotta-filled gnocchi seemed to be their most popular dish. I’m not usually a fan of either ricotta nor gnocchi, but this was pillowy, airy, and delicious. We also enjoyed lighter-tasting dishes like their many seafood options.
charleston SC pink bellies banh mi_belgian gelato ice cream

Left: Pink Bellies // Right: Belgian Gelato

Pink Bellies ($): Stumbled across this food truck near the College of Charleston, and did not hesitate to try when we saw it was Vietnamese food! I was craving some Asian amidst the southern fare, and this hit the spot fueling us up for more exploring. The banh mi sandwich was loaded and fairly authentic tasting, with small fusion twists.

And here’s some others that came highly recommended which we really wanted to try, but sadly just didn’t have enough meals in the day!
Xiao Bao Biscuit ($$) – Asian + Southern fusion in a converted gas station. Pictures of their okonomiyaki (Japanese cabbage pancakes) topped with pork belly and egg look scrumptious. When we asked some chefs at other restaurants where they liked to eat, this place was oftentimes the response.
Poogan’s porch ($$) – cutest yellow house (right next door to Husk) with apparently divine burgers, mac n’ cheese, and fried chicken.

What to pack: The weather is wonderfully mild there, ranging from 50s to 80s almost year round. I’d suggest packing sundresses, jeans, tees, a denim jacket, and lightweight sweaters. Also, sunscreen and bug spray (mosquitos!) as well as low, comfortable walking shoes are a must!

I hope you guys enjoyed this recap! Let me know in the comments any other local favorites or insider spots that we missed and have to go back for : )

50 thoughts on “Travel & Food Guide // charming Charleston, South Carolina

• Anonymous April 5, 2016 at 11:13 pm

That candle shop looks great and I appreciated your shout-out to the library ladder in Beauty & the Beast!

– D

• Caroline April 5, 2016 at 11:18 pm

love the travel post! looks like a fun adventure 🙂

• Yvonne Chau April 6, 2016 at 12:43 am

I'm headed to Charleston next week (for the second time ever)! This post is SO convenient! You definitely mentioned some places I haven't tried yet and am now looking forward to checking out. Thanks for the tips! Hope you saw some dolphins during your trip?!

• Meghan April 6, 2016 at 12:50 am

OMG getting major wanderlust right now. I gotta save this guide!

Meghan | http://www.beyondbasicblog.com

• Bailey Snavely April 6, 2016 at 1:20 am

Looks like the perfect time of year for a getaway to Charleston. Your photos looks like they could be clips from a fairy tale-esque movie! Beautiful eye candy of a post!

Bailey |One Thousand Joys

• julycheee April 6, 2016 at 1:31 am

Great pictures and great guide! Rainbow Row looks so cute!

• Unknown April 6, 2016 at 6:10 am

Thanks so much!
    We will be using your recommendations for our next trip!

• Andrea C April 6, 2016 at 6:11 am

Thanks so much!
    We will be using your recommendations for our next trip!

• Ronkidonks April 6, 2016 at 7:35 am

I will say XIAO BAO BISCUIT is a MUST. The okonomiyaki is to die for (I get mine with pork belly and pork candy). This has become one of my favorite meals in Charleston.

• Sasa Zoe April 6, 2016 at 7:44 am

Saved these spots! Would love to visit too:P

Shall We Sasa

• Maggie Zemanek April 6, 2016 at 9:51 am

I need to get to Charleston!! Gorgeous 🙂

• MODENOVA April 6, 2016 at 9:59 am

What a beautiful spread. We really like your pictures!
    Continue the great work. Best, MODENOVA

• Anucca April 6, 2016 at 10:30 am

Lovely post:) You look fabulous and that town is like a candy. I've read many books happening or telling about Charleston, so it was great to see your pictures. It seems you have enjoyed <3. --Anu from Finland

• Živilė Dap April 6, 2016 at 10:37 am

It looks so beautiful!
    Jill

• Amanda April 6, 2016 at 10:41 am

Love Charleston! The burger at Husk is the best I've ever eaten, and they are on opentable, so with enough advance notice of your trip, it's easy to snag online reservations.

• BigBertha April 6, 2016 at 10:48 am

Great post! Would love it if you did something similar for your hometown of Boston. We're visiting in a couple of weeks and we're at a loss for what to see and eat!

• Julia Mazzucato April 6, 2016 at 10:55 am

I loved all your pics from this trip! The pastel houses are so gorgeous, and it seemed like the weather was amazing. Next up on my to-visit list!
    Julia // Little Miss Haute Couture

• Julie Hiller April 6, 2016 at 10:55 am

Chip and Joanna are the best! I watch Fixer Upper all the time at the gym. Love them.

Great recap of your trip to SC! I also really appreciate that you disclosed that it was sponsored–I feel like other bloggers aren't that open about it and I wish they were.

Lifestyle by Joules

• Keri H April 6, 2016 at 11:09 am

Such a beautiful place! I definitely want to go there one day. It looks so quaint and romantic! 🙂

Enclothed Cognition/Bloglovin

• Valeri April 6, 2016 at 11:35 am

Great pics Jean. Thanks for sharing. I really appreciate the details you outlined in this post; they're all the things I want to know before I go. Now I have a great itinerary to follow. Thank you again.

• Valeri April 6, 2016 at 11:36 am

Also, if ricotta gnocchi is on the menu, I always order it. I don't really like how full the traditional potato gnocchi makes me feel. And with FIG! Wow! What a fun combination. Love the food pics Jean.

• Unknown April 6, 2016 at 12:09 pm

I would definitely say the Tattooed Moose – a little divey, but the sandwiches are amazing, and the duck fat fries & gravy are unreal (but so rich)!

• Anonymous April 6, 2016 at 1:19 pm

We just returned from Charleston a couple of weeks ago and were finally able to get a table at Husk. Highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Charleston. I also recommend Sean Brock's other restaurant…Minero…if you are looking for a change of pace from low-country fare. Also went to Hominy Grill and The Ordinary on this trip. Both were well worth the walk from our hotel (The Grand Bohemian).

• lesley foster April 6, 2016 at 2:19 pm

I LOVE Cypress Grill in Charleston – great food & atmosphere! There is a great rooftop deck @ The Vendue Inn to view the awesome bridge there. Poogan's Porch is a definite when you go back for sure and there is a fun outing on The Schooner Pride that I think is always worth the $ for a 2-hour tour on the water! http://www.schoonerpride.com/main/daily-sails

• Brown Eyed Toast April 6, 2016 at 2:31 pm

I never knew Charleston could be so picturesque and lovely! Will have to visit sometime. Thank you for these wonderful recommendations!

xo Soo | http://www.BrownEyedToast.com

• Anonymous April 6, 2016 at 3:16 pm

I'm second to BigBertha comment. Would love to have similar post for Boston. I love to visit Boston but need to convince hubby.
    Now, Charleston will be on my list for sure

• Lauren Massarella April 6, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Beautiful post! LOVE SC. Fig was awesome when we were there a few years back. One of my absolute favorite things in SC is the Angel Oak Tree…wow. Can't wait to go back! xo

• affecionada April 6, 2016 at 7:51 pm

Been loving your photos of/posts on this trip! x

• Ellie Lucash April 6, 2016 at 8:34 pm

What a beautiful Charleston guide!! I couldn't have said it better myself…and I grew up there! I have to say, I'll be stealing some of these ideas for our wedding welcome notes 🙂
    Next time you'll have to rent a car and hit up Boone Hall Plantation, Angel Oak, and the beaches!

• Ellie Lucash April 6, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Omg Minero is YUM!

• Style hue April 6, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Carleston sounds great 🙂 I love small towns. You can always find cute stores and cafes they don't have anywhere else.

Hope you have a great week!

• Anonymous April 6, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Where did you get that mint colored skirt?? I've been waiting for you to blog about that outfit since your Instagram post several days ago!

• Deasy Noel April 7, 2016 at 12:43 am

I have been dying to go to Charleston, South Carolina! The colors and the houses are so charming, and you gave me some great ideas on stuff to do if/when I ever go :3 It looks like you had a great weekend!

• Mlle Coconath April 7, 2016 at 3:20 am

Looks fun! Love your post!
    xx
    Mademoiselle Coconath

• Anonymous April 7, 2016 at 9:05 am

You should do a visit to Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA!

• Anonymous April 7, 2016 at 11:55 am

My beau and I are headed to Charleston (from Boston) in May for my birthday! My brother has been talking about it for years so finally planning a trip! Thank you for the thoughtful post Jean!

• mybeautrip April 7, 2016 at 11:56 am

Great guide. All look delicious!
    xx

• Anonymous April 7, 2016 at 2:17 pm

seriously, you considered visiting two plantations? wow. just lost a reader.

• Elizabeth Wei April 7, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Great timing on this post!! We're heading down there in two weeks for a bachelorette trip and can't wait!! Your guide just made me that much more excited.

Loved all your pictures 🙂

• Anonymous April 7, 2016 at 3:59 pm

seriously, as dark as it is, it's a part of this country's history. if you vowed to never visit any place in this country that had a dark history, you wouldn't leave home much.