Our Vintage-inspired Wedding at the Boston Public Library

Today’s post is very personal and I’m so excited to finally share it with you guys. After being together for over 10 years, Nick and I tied the knot in the city where we met and started a life together. The majority of our friends and family are from out of town (and the country) so we wanted to show them Boston and everything we love here. We only visited one venue and knew right away that was it. The Boston Public Library embodies the history and charm of the city, and has a lot of meaning to us in little ways…we studied there together as college students, dug up the blueprints (from ~150 years ago!) of our first home together, walked by it daily to work, and to top it off, Nick’s mom is a librarian.

After the venue came the search for a videographer. We assumed the day would be a whirlwind, and felt there’d be no better way to capture the sentiment and movement of everything (or in this case, our blubbering exchange of vows ; ) than on video. I feel this is a vendor that’s often overlooked and thought of second to photography, but was top on our priority list. We chose Long Haul Films based on recommendations from friends and could not have been happier (update: unfortunately, they no longer do weddings!). I wanted to repost their trailer video that they make for each wedding – we love how they incorporated the vintage inspirations from ours by using an old school Super 8 film camera for part of the footage.

boston library wedding flowers

And here begins an overload of photos from the course of our day. Also, I wanted to share a few more of our favorite vendors for any brides-to-be planning a wedding!

Long Haul Films has offices in Boston, LA, and London but travels globally, and our photographer Katch Studios is based out of Edmonton, Canada. Both were a dream to work with. After initial meetings about our style and sharing of Pinterest boards and other inspiration, we were able to trust both teams fully on our wedding day.

boston library lazaro lace wedding gown

Our florist, Pollen Floral Design (based in Boston but also does global projects), was another friend’s recommendation. We were very last minute with planning – I mentioned vaguely what I liked and the color scheme (soft ivory, pink, and a hint of french blue) and she completely ran with it. We got so many compliments on her bouquets and hairpieces!

wedding floral hair combs

manolo blahnik something blue jeweled wedding shoes

I searched high and low for open-toed “something blue” shoes but couldn’t find any that were right. I ended up getting these Manolo Blahniks (here’s a very similar pair for under $100!), and borrowed a friend’s idea of DIY stitching bracelets to them as temporary embellishments.

east meets west chinese wedding dress

bridal robe getting ready shot

Hair was first on my schedule for the day. I partnered with the TRESemmé team on both of my bridal hairstyles and absolutely loved the results! I had requested an updo first for the tea ceremony and a romantic, hair down-to-the-side look for the wedding. I wanted a clean look to show off the high neckline of my tea ceremony dress, and then loose curls to frame the shoulders for my strapless wedding gown. My TRESemmé stylist, Tyler Laswell, started by curling all of my hair and teasing volume up at the top. He then styled it into a twisted braid low-bun set a little off to the side.

wedding hair braided side bun updo

After the tea ceremony, Tyler transitioned my hair by leaving the volume up at the top and letting out the bun, which fell into those side-swept waves I wanted. We used a fresh floral comb made by my florist as the finishing accent in both looks.

boston library wedding getting ready

I was nervous in my search for a makeup artist as I’ve had several poor experiences in the past. The artists I had worked with before were often not familiar with playing up smaller, hooded eyes and short, stick-straight lashes. I went with Lisa Chy, another friend referral, and would highly recommend her in return. I did a trial with her during which we spent a lot of time working on the right look, plus I got to test out a full day wearing the makeup to note any issues (even watched a good ol’ sad movie to test the eye makeup lasting power ; )

boston library wedding lazaro lace dress

A few makeup tips for fellow brides – it was my first time trying airbrush makeup and I loved it for several reasons. When applied properly, it has: 1. awesome, build-able coverage that kept my face from becoming purple and splotchy when tearing up (this was a priority as I’m an ugly crier, through and through!); 2. actually felt light and “air”y to me; and 3. I found it to rub off a little less than regular foundation. Lisa also used it to mitigate some stark tan lines on my back and shoulders and I didn’t get too much color transfer onto my dress. On the eye makeup front, I don’t love strip falsies so Lisa used “flares” or singles lashes which I thought looked and felt better. They are applied one-by-one and can easily be layered based on how full you want them.

bridesmaid gifts chanel earrings

We had our first look behind Trinity church, which was a surprisingly quiet respite during a bustling afternoon in Copley Square.

boston wedding trinity church first look lazaro dress

I left the guys’ stuff up to Nick and in true guys’ fashion, found ourselves 2 weeks before the wedding with unclothed groom and groomsmen. For affordable skinny ties and smaller-sized bowties in every color imaginable, The Tie Bar was a lifesaver.

boston wedding trinity church

boston library wedding bhldn lazaro

boston library wedding vintage suitcases welcome sign

Our antique props, including these suitcases and gold mirrored vanity trays, are all from SOWA vintage market. We both love digging there on the weekends for small treasures. Below: stole an idea from a few friends’ weddings to serve treats before the ceremony. We had our caterers, The Catered Affair, make mini matcha green tea and mango ice cream cones for guests to enjoy while getting seated.

wedding mini ice cream cones

The processional ~ I’ve never seen my sweet grandparents so dressed up! And I thought Nick’s mom looked darling in her Eliza J fit & flare dress (comes in petites).

wedding processional grandparents

My mother had her hands full with my elementary school-aged brother trotting by her side!

mother of the bride sue wong dress

I was swooning at my bridesmaids’ mix-and-match BHLDN dresses and bouquets. I worked with each of them to pick a style that flattered their body type, staying within our general theme of champagne and blush pink. We included a mix of beading, sequins, lace, and a statement necklace (recognize this Baublebar piece? : ) for the solid dress.

bhldn bridesmaid dresses bouquets

boston library courtyard wedding dress aisle

boston library courtyard wedding dress

We had our first dance later up on the Juliet balcony while two of our close friends sang and played a slower acoustic guitar version of “Love me like you do” – it was one of the few tunes that Nick and I could agree on…little does he know what movie it’s from, ha!

boston library courtyard wedding vows

Our recessional was to “Everything is Awesome” from the Lego movie, which little brother Schuyler thoroughly enjoyed…

recessional dance

We probably spent the most time planning out the menu and the least amount of time enjoying it…looking back, we probably would’ve skipped extra photos to join our guests! During cocktail hour we had mini truffled chicken pot pies, mini lobster rolls, and the most exciting to me – the DIY noodle bar. As a noodle enthusiast, I was salivating thinking of the options (udon, soba, or lo mein noodles with garlic chicken, spicy thai steak, ginger lime shrimp, veggies, and a variety of sauces and toppings). Most of our guests were full before dinnertime due to multiple helpings at this station.

asian noodle bar wedding

boston library wedding placecards1

Our paper items and signage were all created by Yours Truly Calligraphy, another friend’s referral (clearly, we couldn’t have planned this wedding without the help of our married friends!). In a panic, I reached out her just a few days before our wedding and she whipped up everything and had it express mailed from the West coast. She even hand-made these antiquated library cards, stained using tea.

wedding calligraphy bar signs

mini donuts stand wedding cake

From the dresses in my closet, I’m sure you guys can tell I love a good lace and fitted pencil silhouette. On my wedding day, I wanted those same elements but with a little more drama, and this Lazaro dress (Style #3415) had everything I was looking for. I got a size 2 with hollow-to-hem customization, which is when they measure your height and then create the entire dress to be scaled lengthwise proportionate to that height. For ladies who are significantly shorter or taller than a sample size, I’d highly recommend this option if your gown designer offers it. I was pleasantly surprised that a bridal size 2 was completely fitted on me at the bust, waist, and hips with no alterations needed! The bottom skirted portion is very full so I did have a local tailor reduce that volume on both sides and also taper in the knee area (note: this was a pretty significant alteration given the amount of fabric). I also had them leave the lace flower corsages off while producing the gown, so I could addd them back on where I wanted them, along the back train.

boston library wedding bates hall1

My birdcage veil and sash belt were both easy DIY projects (UPDATE: here is my video tutorial on how to make both!). Being a true procrastinator, it was stressful working on these the day before our wedding, but it was worth it to be able to wear pieces that I made.

boston library wedding lazaro gown

My best advice for brides-to-be is that although the planning process can be stressful and a lot of things will go awry, never forget what you are doing it for and try to let go of the small stuff. I also wanted to give a heartfelt thank you to each one of you who shared kind words and congratulations on our marriage – Nick and I read every message and it means so much to us.

Our vendors:
Videographer: Long Haul Films
Photographer: Katch Studios
Wedding gown: Lazaro Style #3415
Tea ceremony dress: custom by Khatu Ho
Reception dress: Aidan Mattox (exact sold out) sz 0 hemmed
Bridal accessories: vintage earrings, DIY belt & veil (purchase similar veil)
Floral robes thanks to Plum Pretty Sugar
Bridesmaid dresses thanks to BHLDN
Florist: Pollen Floral Design
Hair in partnership with TRESemmé
Makeup: Lisa Chy
Tuxedo: J.Crew Ludlow
Men’s accessories: The Tie Bar
DJ: Alamada Events
Lighting: Design Light Co
Tea ceremony coordination: Lemon Drop
Catering & day-of coordination: The Catered Affair
Mini donuts: Union Square Donuts
Bridal suite: Judy Garland suite at the Lenox
Venue: Boston Public Library

Previous wedding-related posts: you can read about Nick’s proposal here, our engagement photos in Paris here, our coed bridal shower here, and our Chinese wedding tea ceremony here!

213 thoughts on “Our Vintage-inspired Wedding at the Boston Public Library

• Bella B September 24, 2015 at 12:08 am

Wow that looks incredible you look stunning in that dress and congrats your a beautiful bride!

• Valerie September 24, 2015 at 12:12 am

Congratulations Jean! Your special day looks amazing! I'm currently planning for my wedding and hope it will come close to looking as beautiful as yours! Cheers!

• Petite Picks September 24, 2015 at 12:13 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Thank you so much for sharing.

• D D September 24, 2015 at 12:14 am

Beautiful video! I don't personally know you, Jean & Nick, but I can feel the love that you tow have for each other. You guys are inspiring & I only hope to find for myself what you two have for each other. Happy Late Congratulations! Cheers, Wendy

• Anonymous September 24, 2015 at 12:20 am

I can't imagine anything more perfect than getting married in a library. Looks like a beautiful wedding. Congratulations!!

• Mai Lowe September 24, 2015 at 12:36 am

SWOONNNNN!!!! Love every detail so much, but most of all LOVE how happy you guys look!!! Congratulations again!!!

• Ella Pretty Blog September 24, 2015 at 12:43 am

The video was amazing – your vows made me cry – they were so sweet! Your outfits could not have been more beautiful! Thanks for sharing a glimpse of your special day <3

• Patti September 24, 2015 at 12:46 am

What a beautiful wedding, love all the little details and the story behind the setting. Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

• Payton September 24, 2015 at 12:54 am

Jean, your video is so sweet. What a precious day.

• Audrey (holes In My brain) September 24, 2015 at 1:01 am

Your wedding looked absolutely gorgeous! I love the colour themes, and the photographs are just perfect 🙂 The donuts are so cute, and your description of the food there made me hungry haha. Congratulations to the two of you!!

• Trang Do September 24, 2015 at 1:05 am

Amazing photography!! Congrats once again!!
    Hugs,
    Love from http://www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

• Faith September 24, 2015 at 1:05 am

Congratulations again, Jean and Nick! Your wedding is a dream come true. To many more days and memories together.

• Anonymous September 24, 2015 at 1:12 am

This is soooo beautiful! I teared up.. I've been following your blog for three years now.. It feels like watching a family member or a close friend getting married 🙂 Congratulations once again and Wish you all the very best in everything you do..

Shenu

• Lena September 24, 2015 at 1:15 am

Congratulations! I've been eagerly waiting for this post and it didn't disappoint 🙂 Would love to see a DIY post on the sash belt!

• Margaret September 24, 2015 at 1:31 am

I visited the Boston Public Library for the first time this past weekend and immediately thought of the beautiful wedding pictures you had posted. What a classy venue! Thanks for sharing your vendor information. It does seem like the planning process can be super stressful, but you can also think of it as a fun personal project. The end result is gorgeous 🙂

• Erika September 24, 2015 at 1:32 am

Love every detail!! Best wishes to you and Nick!

• Loretta September 24, 2015 at 1:34 am

Georgous wedding! Truly dream like!

• webmul September 24, 2015 at 1:40 am

As a future bride-to-be, I find this post incredibly inspirational! What a beautiful wedding! Congrats to you and Nick!

• Adasyn September 24, 2015 at 1:41 am

Congratulations, Jean and Nick! I've been a long-time follower of your blog and am so incredibly happy for you both! Your video highlight brought tears to my eyes. I wish you two a lifetime of happiness! Congrats again!

• Trinitayy September 24, 2015 at 1:45 am

i am so happy for you both! your vows are truly amazing, and Nick really has a way with words. beautiful – just everything is beautiful

• Sasa Zoe September 24, 2015 at 1:49 am

Congrats, Jean! Your wedding is beautiful and amazing! Love your dress so much<3

Shall We Sasa

• Lisa September 24, 2015 at 1:50 am

Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing. All the Boston brides are lucky to have your vendor recommendations. 🙂 Congratulations!!

• Lauren Drew September 24, 2015 at 1:54 am

Absolutely stunning photos and video! Congratulations again from a fellow Bostonian 🙂

-Lauren

• Anonymous September 24, 2015 at 1:59 am

Congratulations! Everything was absolutely beautiful & splendid. I hope one day I get to have an amazing wedding as you, it is honestly a fairytale!

• winnie.fred September 24, 2015 at 2:19 am

Congratulations ! Loved your dress and all the little details ! Would love to see a tutorial on how to make the birdcage veil and sash !

• cherylnguyen September 24, 2015 at 2:40 am

OMG Jean, your wedding looked so beautiful! We share so many similarities! I didn't know your husband was from San Diego! That's where I'm from! And my wedding dress was from the dreamy Lazaro as well! I've been with my husband for 14 1/2 years total and married for 4 1/2 years with two kids now. :). We got married on our 10th year together! It's so nice to see other people who've been together for a long time. Wishing you and your hubby a lifetime full of everlasting bliss, love and laughters!

• Unknown September 24, 2015 at 2:56 am

Congrats! I walked by Nick Tuesday at lunch and almost had a fan girl moment, you two are adorable. Can I ask who your tailor was? I'm also in back bay and haven't found one I love yet!

• Eden's Mirror September 24, 2015 at 2:58 am

this is so intensely personal wow thank you for sharing!! i wish you guys every happiness in your new life together 😀

• Pauline Dao September 24, 2015 at 3:06 am

Hi Jean, what were the bridesmaids' accessories? I loved reading about your wedding and everything else. Congrats!

• mybeautrip September 24, 2015 at 4:18 am

Congrats! Your wedding dress is a drem and you look really happy!
    xx

• prudence yeo September 24, 2015 at 4:26 am

Your wedding dresses are stunning and all these pictures are so heart-warming! Congratulations and wishing you the best!

Love the idea of layering a slip dress over a polo neck top, very chic style!

Prudence

• Anonymous September 24, 2015 at 5:02 am

The video was so heartwarming! You looked perfectly beautiful in your wedding dress! Congratulations on your wedding! :')

• Carla Krae September 24, 2015 at 6:14 am

Wow, your wedding looks like it's from a movie. And they did a great job on the video. I teared up a bit when you guys did.

One bit of advice I've always heard is that the bride and groom get very little to eat on the wedding day, so it's a lifesaver to ask the caterer to pack you a meal you can enjoy after it all ends.

• Kie September 24, 2015 at 7:29 am

Your wedding looked gorgeous! Can you please, please share the two tutorials for the birdcage veil and the bridal sash?

• tellmeyblog.com September 24, 2015 at 7:43 am

Such a pretty wedding! As a long term fan of yours, I am so touched to see you and Nick tie the knot. Congratulations again, Jean!

xx
    Yvonne

• FranishTheBlog September 24, 2015 at 8:12 am

Oh Jean, that video made me tear up just a little. It looked like the most beautiful day, and your love for each other definitely shown through. Congrats again!

• little random happiness September 24, 2015 at 8:16 am

Awwww Jean! Both of your vows are so beautiful :*) Thank you for sharing your love story with us. Still swooning over the gorgeous details every time you share them hehe.

• Unknown September 24, 2015 at 8:18 am

Absolutely gorgeous and thank you for sharing with us your special day. Congratulations to you both.

• Kat F. September 24, 2015 at 8:20 am

Jean, I'm pretty sure we're meant to be friends! I've followed your blog for quite some time (thanks, Google) and have always thought about the similarities in our lives. I, too, moved from Sunny San Diego to the east coast (Virginia) and met my future husband on the first day of freshman year. We dated nearly a decade before getting engaged (we did so shortly before you did) and are getting married in about a month. We have the similar wedding colors (champagne, blush, dusty blue) and I chose my bridesmaids dresses from BHLDN in January. It was a little crazy (and creepy) seeing it all unfold on your Instagram as we have such similar tastes! Did I mention that I'm also Filipino? I'm sure I'm sounding a little creepy now. Haha. Anyway, your wedding is absolutely stunning! Congratulations to you and Nick!

• Alyssa Gap September 24, 2015 at 8:33 am

Such a gorgeous wedding! Everything was so beautiful!!

Alyssa | Glitter and Grey