Simple stripes + white jeans (and Topshop Moto Leigh jeans review)

white jeans striped shirt outfit2

Articles of Society jeans (I sized down), Banana Republic shirt + trench (old). F21 belt (old)
Steve Madden sandals, 12mm pearls stud earrings (similar, 40% off!), Goyard tote

I’m sure many of you would agree that white jeans are one of the more frustrating pieces to shop for! I began my search for the perfect pair months ago and was hoping to report back on a decisive favorite. I wanted: thicker, sturdier white denim with good stretch, no sheerness (you know when you can see an obvious nude undertone), functional front pockets, and a form-fitting skinny cut. I was willing to pay more for the perfect pair, and also did not mind if the length needed a hem – I figured the chances of finding all of the above, and in petite sizing was probably asking too much!

Above with heels for going out, and with BP flats below for running errands:

white jeans striped shirt outfit1
So far I haven’t found any that meet all of my requirements, but the frontrunner (as you can probably tell from their frequent appearances) are these Articles of Society “Sarah” jeans from Nordstrom. Minus the real front pockets, they do have everything else I wanted. I’ve actually never heard of this brand until my friend let me borrow hers, and I eventually concluded they were a pretty great option and got my own pair. Please note I’m usually a solid 24 in skinny jeans, but sized down to a 23 in these and they still fit a touch looser compared to my Rag & Bone “the Skinny” size 24s. However, these shrunk down a bit in the washer/dryer (these photos were snapped pre-shrinking) and now fit just how I like ’em.
white jeans striped shirt outfit
Material is medium in weight, or possibly thick compared to some others that I’ve tried (like the Topshop ones below). No nude undertones which I really appreciate, but definitely still wear skin-toned underwear with all of your white bottoms. I am bummed about the faux front pockets, but I figured they must’ve done this to eliminate any see-through pocket lining issues that white jeans are usually fraught with.

Length is 3” long on me which I’ve been wearing cuffed up. I actually brought these to the tailor to get a hem, but after some debate, decided I rather liked the casual ankle cuff look. I can always get them hemmed later when I’m tired of this style.

white jeans striped shirt outfit3I repeat this outfit quite a bit…each piece is a wardrobe staple and it never gets old! By the way, I’m wearing my latest lipcolor obsession below…Clinique’s “Chubby Sticks” which are tinted lip balms. They glide on smoothly and are soo easy to apply, like chapstick, but the color has decent pigmentation and keeps my lips moisturized for several hours. I’m a big fan of no-fuss makeup so these have earned their place in my daily makeup pouch. I’m wearing mega melon below which is like a “my lips but better” shade, and I can’t wait to try some more colors.

Untitled
Before getting these AofS jeans, I tried on numerous other pairs including LOFT, Joe’s, CoH, Paige…was unfortunately in a rush most of those times and didn’t get to snap photos, but each one had their own fit or white fabric issue and none of them were notably better than the Articles of Society option. I did take some snapshots of the popular Topshop Moto “Leigh” white jeans, shown below in size 25 short. I had been so intrigued by this style because fellow bloggers said it runs small, plus it comes in short inseams!

They did indeed run small, very small – I sized up and it was still like a second skin on me. The size 25s in these fit tighter than the Articles of Society in 23. The material was thin and felt more like a legging pant than a denim.

topshop white jeans moto leigh Topshop jeans in sz 25, H&M; top (old), Halogen Marlie pumps (old, similar)

Also, the thinner material had a definite nude undertone typical of so many white jeans. I felt scandalous even trying these on in my living room because of the hints of skin color you can see at the butt. They are rather sexy on the booty though, so I was tempted to keep them for a second… Although these weren’t winners for me, I do see other ladies looking great in these so perhaps give them a try if you’re looking for a thin, super skinny jegging. The “short” inseam was good on my 5′ height, and the knee holes were spot on for me.

Thank you to Nordstrom for sponsoring this post!

43 thoughts on “Simple stripes + white jeans (and Topshop Moto Leigh jeans review)

• Glam Darling May 28, 2015 at 1:58 am

I've heard a lot of great things about Old Navy's white jeans & they look super cute!! Have you ever tried those in petite?
    Xoxo Renee

• Keilexandra May 28, 2015 at 2:01 am

I have the J.Crew Cone denim toothpick in white, and it's opaque with functional front pockets (nude linings). I wish I had sized down though, because they tend to stretch throughout the day.

• Eniwhere Fashion May 28, 2015 at 2:01 am

Those jeans look so lovely on you. Perfects with your stripes shirt! Have a nice day, kisses from Italy,
    Eni

Eniwhere Fashion
    Eniwhere Fashion Facebook

• Diane Hoang May 28, 2015 at 3:34 am

This is such a cute look! Definitely a classy chic kind of look. I'm especially loving the stripe and white combo <3

xx, Diane || http://www.modernisticphoenix.blogspot.com

• Jillian May 28, 2015 at 3:58 am

I have a pair of Tory Burch cropped white denim that are utterly perfect for me. They hit my ankle just right, are heavy-ish, and not too sheer. Can't get enough!

• Bags Winnie May 28, 2015 at 6:17 am
  • Bogi RedReticule May 28, 2015 at 7:02 am

Those jeans fit you like a glove! This outfit is chic perfection!
    Red Reticule | Red Reticule Collection

• Olivia Shi May 28, 2015 at 8:37 am

Love this classic look! The white jeans look great on you!

• Eden Mint May 28, 2015 at 8:45 am

Those jeans fit you well, I find jeans hard to shop for too. Love your outfit!

• Hilary Young May 28, 2015 at 9:33 am

love your style, you look amazing<3

xoxo

• Angela May 28, 2015 at 10:25 am

I agree, I love white bottoms, but it's a serious hunt! I've been trying to find replacement white trousers for 2 years! Looks great on you.

• littleblacksweats.com May 28, 2015 at 11:01 am

I picked up a pair of white jeans on a grocery run to SuperTarget once for $11! They are absolutely perfect, and so far I've found nothing that I like nearly as much. However, I have lost some baby weight, so I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep wearing them. I'll have to try the Article of Society ones. You look great!

• April D. Thompson May 28, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Thank you sooo much for this! I ordered JBrand whites in size 24 when they were on super sale online a few months ago and I've only worn them once. Way too thin and just strange fit. Going to head back to Nordstrom and check out the Articles of Society brand!

• Jeanne's Stylebook May 28, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Love your style <3
    Have a lovely day 🙂
    http://www.jeannesstylebook.blogspot.com | Fashion&Travel;

• Rosebud Ben-Oni May 28, 2015 at 1:35 pm

My issue with Topshop in general is quality; while some of their garments last, quite a few don't, so it's hit or miss. I think Article of Society jeans are just made better in general, so I second the recommendation (and they are pretty affordable considering the prices on denim these days).

• brietta May 28, 2015 at 1:53 pm

I just got the Paige Denim Verdugo Crop Jeans in White and love how they fit perfectly on me (I'm 4'10") as full-length without any need for tailoring. I just reviewed them here:

• Jessica May 28, 2015 at 3:41 pm

I would highly recommend you check out DL1961's white denim. I have a pair (I think the Angel style) and love them. They don't stretch/bag and have no real pockets in the front, and are a thick, sturdy denim. I've had mine for about a year and they are holding up great! I'm 5'3", 102 lbs and the size 24 fit perfectly for reference.

• Keri H May 28, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Wow, these white jeans look really good on you if I must say!

Enclothed Cognition

• Karen Chung May 28, 2015 at 4:47 pm

gorgeous!! I love how clean and crisp that top is!

xoxo
    Karen

• Suzie Q May 28, 2015 at 7:22 pm

All your requirements for white jeans are also my exact wants. I've been on the hunt for a few seasons now. Glad to hear AoS is a great option. I have a couple pairs of other colors by them and don't have any issues with those jeans. Love this classic look that you're wearing here!

xo, Suzie Q
    StyleCueBySuzieQ.com

• jessydust May 28, 2015 at 9:00 pm

I noticed something weird about white bottoms in general… I find that when I try on different colours of the same style, the white pair always runs bigger than the others. Strange, huh? I'm on the hunt for THE perfect pair of white jeans too, so I can't wait to see what you try next. : )

jessydust.com

• Kate Cope May 28, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Love this classic look!
    This Side of Paradise

• Lucbabe May 28, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Lovely classy look! Hi Jean, may I know how you keep your shirt 'pop' with the right amount of neck opening? Mine always seem to fold back in to cover my neck, making me look very stuffy… Any tips? Thanks!

• Anonymous May 28, 2015 at 10:13 pm

A note on the topshop Leigh jeans…. The material of that style is thinner. The Jaimie style is much more true to a denim material. I highly recommend topshop jeans they are great for petites!

• Easy, Frugal Style May 28, 2015 at 11:06 pm

This is such a chic casual look! Love the jeans on you! I'll have to check these out 🙂

Easy, Frugal Style

• V GPetite May 28, 2015 at 11:57 pm

Simple but classic! This may be a silly question, but how did you style your pony tail to achieve volume (smooth puff) in the central part of the head? Thanks in advance!

• Sheree Ho May 29, 2015 at 2:50 am

Love this crip and classic look. Topshop jeans run super small, I had to size up 2 to fit comfortably.

~xo Sheree
    IG: @poshclassymom

• Vera May 29, 2015 at 4:46 am

Such a great outfit!!

Blonde in Cashmere

• salman khan May 29, 2015 at 7:46 am

Great Job, we also provide ecommerce services at http://getsocialshops.com; Here user can exploit all the viral features offered by facebook and unleash your products to millions of users on facebook.
    Our sample shop:

• Paola May 29, 2015 at 8:10 am

Perfect outfit, I love the shirt!

• Julia Mazzucato May 29, 2015 at 2:54 pm

What a gorgeous, classic outfit!
    Julia // Little Miss Haute Couture

• mybeautrip May 29, 2015 at 4:18 pm

Comfy and perfect outfit!
    xx

• adrienne May 29, 2015 at 4:21 pm

This is such a classic look! I love your belt!

• Anonymous May 29, 2015 at 5:10 pm

You seem pretty obsessed with brands

• Sarah S May 29, 2015 at 5:15 pm

I have the white Old Navy jeans (The Flirt Skinny in 2P), so I thought I'd weigh in. For comparison, I usually wear a 25-26 in Hudson and J Brand and I measure 24 waist 35 hip. The inseam is ~29 (not home to measure), hits right at my ankle bone. The material is a decent weight, no skin show-through but can see an underwear outline and the pocket lining – thicker than the Topshop that Jean reviewed though. For the price, I do recommend them and wear mine all the time.

• Anu-J May 29, 2015 at 6:15 pm

I LOVE those white jeans on you!! 🙂

• Anonymous May 30, 2015 at 3:42 am

The problem with topshop is that they have a size chart that is as far as I'm aware is only used by the Acadia franchise. In America I believe that the majority of jeans/trousers have a 10in difference between the waist and hips so a 25w will be a 35h. This works for all sizes I believe whereas topshop works differently there is less of a difference between the waist and hip so for a 25w the hip is only 33in in order to get the same hip as a U.S. 24 (hip 34 I believe) you'd have to go up to a topshop 26w to get a 34h. Topshop is also frustrating as U.S. sizes I think normally go up in one inch increments whereas after 26w topshop like most UK brands goes up by two inches. Sorry I know that sounds weird and confusing I just discovered this out through pure frustration at topshops sizing.

• Snowinluxury June 2, 2015 at 8:46 am

J like

• Molly Andrews June 3, 2015 at 5:02 am

I love the combination!! It's so nice: smart and a little bit casual = )