• Ann Taylor petite chevron maxi dress & Boston blossoms

ann taylor striped maxi dress petite

Talbots sandals (love! 30% off), 12mm pearl studs (similar), Hermes belt & Chanel bag

Maybe it’s because this winter was so relatively brutal, but I don’t remember spring in Boston being so gorgeous in past years. My morning commute to work takes almost double the time needed, as I’m stopping every block with mouth agape snapping photos (see some of my favorites on Instagram!). I hope no one here dislikes blossoms, as there might be a small overload of them coming right up : )

In the sale world, take 40% off most items at Ann Taylor using code SUMMER40 (ends Thursday morning). I picked out this online-exclusive dress, in case anyone else was curious about the fit. The design is simple but elegant; it can work casually around town with low sandals (as shown) or style it with an updo and drop earrings for fancier events like a wedding. After trying it on in my usual 00p, I’m confused by a few of the reviews that complained it was too long…I’m even on the shorter end of the petite spectrum (at ~ 5 feet tall) and am wearing it here with 1 inch heels! Although, it was a little close to dusting the ground here so I’d do a slightly higher heel next time, but I thought the length was good for petite sizing and required no alterations. Please see the bottom of this post for measurements and other details.
    ann taylor striped maxi dress petite2
    Here’s a few items I own and love that are part of the 40% off sale:
    Breezy 100% linen sweater – on my spring / summer must-have list. You guys are probably sick of hearing about this versatile sweater – see it here, here, and here just to name a few.
    Embroidered dot button-up shirt – now marked down and on sale, so effectively 50% off. See my review here with it dressed up, and I’ve also dressed it down with distressed denim shorts on the weekends:
    IMG_1294

ann taylor striped maxi dress petite1
    And if you like this chevron pattern but prefer it in other formats, I noticed AT has the same “mitered stripe” in a navy & white maxi skirt as well as a black & white shorter skirt, both included in the 40% off sale. The wider striped skirt is adorable but given my experience with AT skirts, I’m not sure if it’d fit someone my size without waist alterations (although, the one review there mentions it might run a little small).

ann taylor striped maxi dress petite3
    Please note this dress is a sheath style and does not nip in at the waist – rather, it flares out gently in an A-line starting from the armpit down through the hips and then bottom opening. It does come with a black tie belt so you can cinch the waist in to your liking. I swapped that out for a leather belt, but the resulting belted silhouette is the same.
    ann taylor striped maxi dress petite4
    Measurements of the Mitered Striped Dress in 00p: 16″ across armpit to armpit, 50 to 51″ in total length. The outer material is 100% poly and it is fully lined, with an invisible back zip down the center. I know poly comes in many different forms and this one is a smooth one, not knit, with little stretch (the lining has no stretch at all). Tag says dry clean only, but I’m very tempted to test hand washing it cold since the material feels similar to other AT poly items that are labeled machine wash cold.

Here’s a few newer pieces I’m eying from the 40% off sale, but haven’t had the chance to try yet:

Stripe tweed dress – very cute with the wide stripes against the pink tweed blend. At first glance my guess was the wide stripes would only be on the front half of the dress, given shortcuts that most retailers are taking these days. Happy to see that the stripes wrap around the back of the torso.
    Crepe tie-neck shell in lots of colors and prints. An office and weekend layering staple – I just hope the material isn’t too thin in person.
    Chevron shift dress – a mod but classic look, and the material seems like it would be on the more substantial side with the embroidered-on dots.

Also, I was in a store recently and was pleasantly surprised by how pretty their new stone costume jewelry pieces are. I’ve collected a few favorite costume jewelry pieces from AT over the years and these are certainly a new contender. While in store, I unfortunately wasn’t able to find any rings in size 5 to try on for size, nor did I see the cuff bracelet below that looks like it could be bent/shaped to fit smaller wrists.

I did get to see the faux stones in person and thought the coloring of both the rose quartz and lapis against the gold looked nice. Please note the first ring set trio is excluded from the 40% off, but half of the purchase price gets donated to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.

As always, let me know if you have any favorite pieces & recommendations from this promo!

48 thoughts on “Ann Taylor petite chevron maxi dress & Boston blossoms

• Joyce TeawithMD May 13, 2015 at 2:00 am

You got highlights! Looks pretty as always, love the dress!

XO
      Joyce
      A dermatologist's guide to health & beauty

• glam darling May 13, 2015 at 2:22 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• glam darling May 13, 2015 at 2:27 am

Lovely outfit & beautiful setting πŸ™‚

• Hayattan Payetler May 13, 2015 at 2:40 am

Amazing shot
      Specially ; third photo , love it πŸ™‚

• Dressed With Soul May 13, 2015 at 3:11 am

Your dress is really a dream! Unfortunately I don't look very good in a maxi dress but for you this dress is perfect. But maybe the midi skirt you show here is an alternative for me πŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing!
      xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Eve May 13, 2015 at 4:38 am

Great dress! I like to know what kind of bra you are wearing with it? I've looked through your archive for undergarment posts and like to know if you are still purchasing from The Little Bra Company. I'm petite myself with a small busts and currently searching for bras that are seamless when wearing fitted tops and also bras that will look great with dresses (and tops) like this maxi without showing the straps. Any recs would be appreciated! Thanks!

• Taramixandmatch May 13, 2015 at 6:10 am

Such a great dress! I've been eying the black skirt version of it.

• Bogi RedReticule May 13, 2015 at 7:37 am

That dress is perfection! I love to see some blooms around Boston finally.
      Red Reticule | Red Reticule Collection

• Chels May 13, 2015 at 7:54 am

Looking lovely! And that backdrop is making me want to visit Boston.
      Since you keep mentioning that linen sweater πŸ™‚ …. Do you have any tips on how to care for linen? I've always been told that it shrinks as soon as it gets wet, even if you air dry it.

• Anonymous May 13, 2015 at 8:06 am

Did the size 0 in petite work for you? You look smaller than me and sometimes in Loft & Ann Taylor I have to have a 00. You look fabulous in your dress as always……I have never seen a thing you didn't look great in and the scenery is wonderful.

• Sasa Zoe May 13, 2015 at 8:14 am

wow, the dress looks amazing on you:P

Shall We Sasa

• Eden Mint May 13, 2015 at 8:19 am

Love that dress, looks beautiful against the cherry blossoms!

• Paola May 13, 2015 at 8:47 am

This dress is amazing!

• Olivia Shi May 13, 2015 at 9:58 am

Wow, this is absolutely beautiful!

• Jean May 13, 2015 at 10:17 am

Hi Eve! Yes, I still buy the Sascha from TLBC and really like it. I haven't tried any others recently to be honest.

• Jean May 13, 2015 at 10:19 am

Hi Chels! I followed the tag directions (hand wash cold and lay flat to dry) and I didn't notice too much shrinking. It could be this particular linen weave though, and am not sure about other 100% linen fabrics.

• Jean May 13, 2015 at 10:19 am

Thank you so much for your kind comment! I took a 00 petite in this one. For reference, my measurements are 30/32 bust, 24 waist, and 32 hips.

• Shira May 13, 2015 at 10:40 am

The dress is great on you but can we discuss these gorgeous photos for a sec??? The cherry blossoms are STUNNING!!!

• tailoredandtrue May 13, 2015 at 11:01 am

What a cute look! I love the belted silhouette!

• Elisabeth Klassen May 13, 2015 at 12:59 pm

That dress is gorgeous. I have to say that I love your personal style. Maxi dresses are growing on me. I need to pick up a few.

Diary of Elegance

• Shruti Chawla May 13, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Love how the belt gives the dress more grace! pictures of blossoms are simply beautiful.

• Anonymous May 13, 2015 at 2:16 pm

Beautiful cherry blossom tree and your pretty dress. You look beautiful when you smile in your pics. I make hand made precious stone jewelry http://www.kblossoms.etsy.com

• Anonymous May 13, 2015 at 3:59 pm

Gorgeous pictures! The black/white dress looks good with a background of pink flowers. You look great in everything, but this dress makes you look tall! =)

• Deasy Noel May 13, 2015 at 4:04 pm

So pretty! I love how clean and feminine everything looks :3

• Isabella May 13, 2015 at 6:57 pm

You look lovely as always! A total unrelated question, do you know any sources for small crossbody bags that has wallet like compartments inside for cards and/or coins? Basically a wallet on a chain if you want to call it, but one that zips completely.
      I have searched high and low for one like that for my mom to replace her worn bag. There are plenty WOC out there but haven't found one that completely zips. She doesn't want flap ones. Hope you can help. Brand/price doesn't matter.

• Trendy On A Budget May 13, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Loving your maxi dresses as of late!

• Bethany Rose May 13, 2015 at 9:12 pm

I also love the dress! It looks great on you!
      bethanysbling.blogspot.com

• Suzie Q May 13, 2015 at 9:17 pm

I agree, I haven't noticed how pretty the cherry blossoms were in the past years on the east coast until this season, I also theorize it's prettier this year because of this past brutal winter πŸ™‚ I love how you styled the maxi dress, you look gorgeous!

xo, Suzie Q
      StyleCueBySuzieQ.com

• Ollyvia Laura May 13, 2015 at 10:12 pm

SUPER LOVE THE OUTFIT πŸ™‚
      anyway, would you like to follow each other on gfc/bloglovin and instagram? Let me know πŸ™‚

NEW POST : MAY WISHLIST

• Paul Pham May 14, 2015 at 12:01 am

I really love the way this dress seems to lengthen you. Too bad 0ps are sold out πŸ™

• Megan May 14, 2015 at 9:55 am

Jean, you have such amazing style! I snapped up this dress as soon as you posted it online – so happy I did as most sizes are now sold out! I also got the linen sweater you've been wearing and other summer-friendly clothes (finally!). Just wanted to thank you so much for your style advice and petite-friendly information. More than half my closet is BR because of the difficulty of finding true 00P sizing, and you have offered so many other (affordable) options for petite clothing. Thank you thank you thank you!

• Pauline MoiNonPlus May 14, 2015 at 12:00 pm

I love your style πŸ™‚ !
      You're very gorgeous beauty πŸ˜‰ !

Pauline

• Yoannita Lonas May 14, 2015 at 2:42 pm

i love your style so much! That maxi dress absolutely look stunning on you!!

• Meghan Sheehan May 14, 2015 at 3:18 pm
    • Anonymous May 14, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Hi Jean!

I was wondering if you've noticed the sizing has changed at LOFT recently? I can't seem to find a size that fits anymore. :*( I was also wondering if you've ever tried Lilly Pulitzer? The line sold out a Target really quickly, but I was wondering if you had any feedback on quality & how it looks on petites? Thanks!

• Easy, Frugal Style May 14, 2015 at 10:09 pm

The dress looks gorgeous on you!

Easy, Frugal Style

• eunice May 14, 2015 at 10:27 pm

Beautiful as always–I love how the chevron pattern frames and elongates! I have a similar fit-and-flare dress from BR that I adore.

pennyforherthoughts.com

• Anonymous May 15, 2015 at 12:12 am

Hi Jean! do you mind sharing the model name and size of your vintage hermes belt? Im looking to purchase the same one but noticed how theres a wide array of measurements for the belt that is being sold in the second hand market. (e.g. 32 mm, size 65) If you can let me know that would be great!!

• Jennifer Morrow May 15, 2015 at 2:45 am

Such a nice dress and strip pattern is looking very beautiful.
      kids Wholesale clothes