Ann Taylor dotted shirt + swingy striped skirt

Ann Taylor dot shirt stripe skirt outfit4Ann Taylor embroidered shirt, Chicwish skirt sz XS (shortened – pls read review)
Steve Madden sandals, Saint Laurent wallet on chain (in light rose/pink), Hermes belt

I love my share of drapey blouses, but sometimes nothing feels more classic than a crisp white button-up. There’s so many options on the market today in slim fits and with feminine details – a far cry from the masculine, boxy shirts that haunted me when I first started working.
Ann Taylor dot shirt stripe skirt outfit1
I went into Ann Taylor recently looking for a tipped shirt, but ended up finding this cute dotted one instead. You can’t tell in the photos, but all of the dots are embroidered rather than printed, which is a nice touch of quality. The fabric is 97% cotton, 3% spandex which is also a pleasant surprise in today’s world of synthetic materials.
Ann Taylor dot shirt stripe skirt outfit2
These Steve Madden “Stecy” heels are my new favorite sandals, but are not for prolonged standing/walking given the heel height and strappy-ness. I have a detailed review in the works about how these compare to a few other similar styles I tried, but wanted to share before small sizes were gone. I’m wearing the blush patent in size 5.5, and would say they run true to size with a pretty narrow footbed. A close contender for me was the Vince Camuto “Court” sandal in beige which was more walkable/comfortable, but alas I wanted something higher with thinner straps.
Ann Taylor dot shirt stripe skirt outfit5
I also have a review coming up about this Saint Laurent wallet on chain (so many color options!) – a new buddy for my beloved Chanel one. Some of you may have seen a slightly different version of this bag on my Instagram – long story short, that one was in calfskin and upon closer inspection, was shipped to me with several scratches on it already. I sadly realized the material would be too high-maintenance for my lifestyle, so I exchanged it for a version in durable caviar leather which I’m now in love with.
Ann Taylor dot shirt stripe skirt outfit

View from the back:
Ann Taylor dot shirt stripe skirt outfit3 FYI, I took this shirt in size 00 petite with no alterations needed. Ann Taylor has an entire line of button-ups titled “perfect shirts” that come in petites, which should fit consistently. This one also looks cute with ripped jeans for the weekend, or a basic pencil skirt pairing for more conservative offices:Ann Taylor dot shirt office outfit

80 thoughts on “Ann Taylor dotted shirt + swingy striped skirt

• Linda April 15, 2015 at 8:13 pm

I love your blog Jean. Thanks so much for the AT sale tips. Bummer I missed the flash sale but at least it looks like they are having 40% now! I've never worn a skirt like that…always thought it would make me look short – glad I am wrong!! wondering if you have any ideas for "similar" Hermes belt or something else that would be a good substitute?

• Annie April 15, 2015 at 10:09 pm

I love your style and how you don't let this crazy New England weather stop you from putting together a great look! Some days it's so hard to pull out the tights, heels, dress, sweater, etc and have to lug your shoes in your bag while you schlep around in boots and a puffer coat. Thanks for all of the inspo 🙂

xo Annie | http://collectivepassions.com

• Moa April 16, 2015 at 7:18 am

I am a new reader of your blog (and a new IG follower) and have never commented before, but I have to say you hit it out of the ballpark with so many of your outfits. This is SO cute and such a great way to mix prints, even for someone who's a bit of a novice when it comes to that, like me. You're absolutely gorgeous and your style is impeccable!

• Mai @ Petite Hmong Mommy April 16, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Loving the dots and stripes pairing. I am a noob to the fashion world so I am still wary of pairing different prints but you're making me BOLDER! Checking out your blog and reviews and they're amazing! We're basically the same height, clothes, and shoes size which is a perfect plus! I am new blogger so if you have tips to spare, I am all ears. Thank you so much in advance. ^_^

• Jean April 16, 2015 at 6:53 pm

For a solid white, I would probably go for chiffon or polyester (the type that feels like silk). You can find those at LOFT petites or H&M; (regular sizing), which is inexpensive enough that you can pay a bit to get the sleeves shortened. For cotton though, Banana Republic non-iron shirts or AT perfect shirts go on sale often and would definitely be under $60! If J.Crew fits you well then these should also.

• Jean April 16, 2015 at 6:54 pm

I hope at least one of them work out for you! I love the fresh black+white take on the basic button up.

• Jean April 16, 2015 at 6:55 pm

I have a few pieces from the limited and think it's great that another brand offers stylish workwear in extended petite sizes! Although, I found their sizes to be about the same as AT/LOFT and still need alterations, and I am bummed that I can't try on any of it in stores because it's entirely online only.

• Jean April 16, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Thank you for your kind words! I agree with your feedback and hope they make the shopping process easier.

• Jean April 16, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Haha after about 10 years of these cobblestone roads, I'm getting to be a pro ; )

• Jean April 16, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Hi CHristine! I shared my opinion in a detailed post today. Hope that helps!

• Jean April 16, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Hi Linda! Have you checked out Ferragamo reversible belts? They look really similar and unfortunately are still pricey, but quite a bit less than Hermes. I think belts like these are worth the splurge as I reach for them all the time!

• Jean April 16, 2015 at 7:00 pm

Welcome, and thanks so much for the kind words : )

• Jean April 16, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Hi Mai – thank you for your feedback! I'm so happy to hear that.

• Mila April 17, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Hi Jean,

Could you do a review on the YSL WOC? Please and Thank you!

• Mandy Ho April 17, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Thanks so much, Jean! I'll be sure to check those out 🙂

• Margaret Power April 19, 2015 at 6:52 am

Hi Jean, I love your style and seeing your new posts. I wondered if you could advise how I would know when Ann Taylor has these 60 % off sales (as I'd love to order the spotty shirt but it works out very expensive as I live in England so pay shipping too)

• Anonymous April 19, 2015 at 9:51 am

Hi Jean, I love all of your styles, especially because they are up my alley. I'm finding that I need to change the way I wear jeans at work, often because my jeans are all bell bottom and I need some that are office appropriate. Can you recommend some places where I can find petite flare jeans that are office appropriate?

Thank you!

• Carmen Lin April 20, 2015 at 8:27 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Carmen Lin April 20, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Hi Jean,

I wanted to ask – why did you decide to go with the YSL woc over the YSL medium monogram bag in one of your past IG pics? I'm trying to decide between the two. Love the look of the woc but the medium seems to fit more and thus may be more versatile for me.

Thanks for your help!

Carmen

• Jean April 20, 2015 at 9:01 pm

Yes! I started it but need to retake photos…stay tuned

• Jean April 20, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Hi Margaret! Unfortunately I don't know if the promos work internationally, actually I don't know how that works at all because they ship to England via Borderfree. I know the extra discounts are usually not applicable to Cananda so not sure if it is for orders via Borderfree. The best way to stay up to date on the sales though is with their email list (you can sign up on their homepage). Also as a side note, this shirt wasn't ever part of the 60% off (that was for clearance items only) and was 40 at the time of this post, but they are having a 50% off promo now that you can test if it works for England!

• Jean April 20, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Hi there! To be honest, I don't have any flared jeans and haven't tried any on for a while! The only reason being, usually I commute in flats then change into heels, so the only jeans that wouldn't drag on the floor during the flats need to be skinny at the ankle. So unfortunately I can't be of much help here, but I did notice LOFT has petite flare styles on their website so maybe start there!

• Jean April 20, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Hi Carmen! It was a matter of leather to me. If the medium came in caviar, I would've definitely kept it as I LOVED the tassels. I mentioned in my post above that upon closer inspection, the medium in calfskin unfortunately arrived to me with scratches already on it so I knew it would be too high maintenance for my lifestyle. The only similar bag in a similar color was the WOC, but I've been loving it as it fits more than my Chanel WOC.

• Carmen Lin April 20, 2015 at 10:52 pm

Thank you for the insight and for helping me decide! I prefer the durability of caviar over calfskin, so WOC it is 🙂

• Carmen Lin April 20, 2015 at 10:55 pm

• Carmen Lin April 20, 2015 at 10:58 pm

• Anonymous April 21, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Hi Jean, I will check at Loft. Thank you for your suggestion!

• Anonymous April 21, 2015 at 4:03 pm

Hi Jean,
    Do you ever look at your closet full of clothes and think "I don't have anything to wear" – and often pick out the clothes that you like most (which are only a few pieces)? Because this has been a constant issue for me, I've tried to eliminate those pieces in which I do not wear. It has somewhat helped, however, I still struggle…. can you give me some tips on how not to feel this way? Any tips that has helped you to enjoy what you have? Is it even possible to have only things you love in your closet?

I totally appreciate you taking the time to read each of our comments.

• Anonymous April 21, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Hi Jean,
    I work in a small office, of about 14 people and I'm the shortest in the office aside from one other person. I'm the assistant to the CEO who is over 6 feet. Not only am I short –at 5 feet, I am also petite. I never wear flat shoes in the office for fear that my shortness would be noticeable (not like it doesn't now). I wear heels that are 3.5 inches high. I would love to begin wearing flats (in summer) and flat boots (in winter)… can you give me some tips on how I can accomplish this without thinking people will notice?

• Anonymous September 6, 2015 at 2:26 am