• Weekend staples: Bobeau cardigan + Stuart Weitzman boots

stuart weitzman boots cardigan1
    Bobeau fleece cardigan in “mink,” H&M; leggings (old), Kenneth Cole petite sweater (old)
    Blank NYC jacket, Stuart Weitzman boots (review), Clare Vivier bag (older style)

I’ve gotten a few questions on what to wear while casually at home, such as this from anonymous: “I have trouble finding something to wear at home and not look sloppy…if you could do a post on different outfit ideas for lounging at home, that would be great.” For me, home is a safe place to “let go,” and 90% of the time I’m roaming around in full pajama sets or Nick’s over-sized tees. If there’s anyone other than us then I usually spare their eyes and simply pair a longer top or tunic sweater over leggings. For chillier days, this Bobeau fleece as an added layer is perfect for staying super comfy but still looking put-together.

Here are other ways that I’ve showed this cardigan (on sale, and makes an awesome gift!) – which is your favorite?

bobeau drape cardigan outfits 670px

^Left outfit from this post, right outfit from this post

stuart weitzman boots cardigan4
    I also love to layer the fleece under other jackets for insulation, plus the added dimension of the drape front. Here’s this Blank NYC faux-leather jacket again which runs on the smaller side (see my review).

I don’t often post infamous leggings on here, but do think they’re a wardrobe stable and can be chic when paired right! The key of course is to wear a longer top that covers your crotch (my sweater here is borderline a little short for wearing with leggings in public). For going outside, pair with flats/loafers, ankle booties, or my favorite…with over-the-knee boots for an elongating look.

I’m desperately in need of new leggings though – used to stock up on ones from H&M; but there’s an extra foot of material bunched up at my ankles (harder to hem because it’s a knit, and the leg opening is so narrow) and saggy butt and knees. I came across these petite leggings that have a 27″ inseam with good reviews and might give them a try. If you have longer legs, these Hue leggings in ~29″ inseam have a whopping 1,000+ reviews and nearly 5 stars so they must’ve gotten something right! Would love to hear your legging recommendations for shorter legs, with materials that don’t stretch out or sag.

I usually don’t use the button on this cardigan, but it can create a chic poncho-like effect when fastened. When layering under jackets like this that are worn open, it also helps keep the chest area fully covered:
    stuart weitzman boots cardigan3These photos were snapped while we were running errands (had the Sheinside black + white coat in the car as my top layer) and stopped outside Polka Dog Bakery, the cutest shop for canine lovers. Dogs on walks a block away would catch a whiff of the treats and practically drag their owners to the front door. No dog for us, but we’ve become “aunt and uncle” to a few friends’ puppies and have been spoiling them accordingly : )

61 thoughts on “Weekend staples: Bobeau cardigan + Stuart Weitzman boots

• Dressed with soul December 7, 2014 at 6:24 pm

I even can't imagine that you could be sloppy! You show perfect weekend outfits which I wear often in a similar way. A nice cardigan, a shirt and skinny comfy pants paired with nice boots – thats all, but you are a master in combining such outfits <3
      Lovely greetings from Bavaria, Rena

• Belle, Christina December 7, 2014 at 6:50 pm

I love the Kenneth Cole sweater paired with the cardigan! And I agree with the previous comment, that I doubt you could ever look sloppy. 🙂 I like that you showed a more casual outfit though; I have similar pieces in my closet, so this is definitely a look I could re-create.

~ Christina

• Diana December 7, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Lovely outfit. I agree the button makes the cardigan look like a poncho, awesome 2 in 1.

~~~Diana~~~

• Anonymous December 7, 2014 at 7:07 pm

LULULEMON LEGGINGS SERIOUSLY SAVES LIVES!! I highly recommend them to all my girlfriends! I wear them year round. They even keep me warm in Chicago's winter time! On the expensive side, but such great quality (mine have lasted me +2 yrs) and make your bootay look amazing 🙂 They come pretty long but I got mine altered for free in store!

By the way, my boyfriend and I are in the market for engagement rings & I seriously LOVE yours Jean!! (good job nick!) What type is it and how many carats if you don't mind me asking? We're looking into possibly 2 carats but not sure how it'll look on my size 4.75 finger. Thank ya!

-Amanda

• Anonymous December 7, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Zella live in leggings are comparable to Lululemon ones and at the last anniverary sale went down to 30+ bucks! Unfortunately there's only one style (the live in legging) that offers XXS (which is equal to a size 2 in Lululemon wunder unders). I haven't used my Zella leggings to workout in since I usually only like working out in capris, but they're great everyday leggings!

• Sasa Zoe December 7, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Beautiful cardigan and boots:)

Shall We Sasa

• Audrey Lin December 7, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I love how you layered a jacket over the cardigan! Hmm, my favorite look without the jacket would have to be the one on the far left! -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

• Anonymous December 7, 2014 at 8:08 pm

LOFT makes incredibly comfortable, sturdy leggings that come in petite sizes. I've had the same thick pair that keep me warm in cold Chicago winters for four years now, and even though winter lasts about nine months out of the year in Chicago, they still haven't shown any signs of wear! I scored mine for $10 on sale, though they're totally worth full sticker at $50.

• Anonymous December 7, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Hi Jean, I have two practical questions which are irrelevant to styling : how do you remove sweater pillings and how do you deal with the stain from body spray / deodorant on clothes (especially white ones) ? Your reply is appreciated 🙂

• Anonymous December 7, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Can you pretty please ask Nick to do another Gift Guide for Men?? Thank you!!! 🙂

• Unknown December 7, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Athleta makes a fleece lined legging which is super warm and thicker than your average legging. Love them!

• Anonymous December 7, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Thanks for sharing! I'm around your size and recently came across these leggings (http://www.express.com/clothing/sweater+legging/pro/7353348/cat1620001) and they are extremely comfortable and surprisingly fit very well without alterations.

• prudence yeo December 7, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Love the layered look of the leather jacket over the cardigan and long sweater, so cool and chic! Such a versatile outfit too as removing the outerwear will instantly transform the attire into a style which can be worn at home without looking slopping!

Prudence

• Lacey December 7, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Help! I just discovered my cat has peed on my Kate Spade handbag. It really reeks and the leather looks pretty ruined. Since this could have happened weeks, maybe months ago, do you think all hope is lost? I'm willing to have it professionally cleaned – any recommendations or advice is very much welcomed!

• Anonymous December 7, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Love this new blog!!! I love it for 2 reasons! First, you're doing more casual outfits! I'm seriously in need of tips on this. Second, I love it when you show us ladies how to use the same piece to create different looks! You should be a professional stylist Jean!!! I love your blog!! Please keep it going no matter what! You're awesome!

• Abbie December 7, 2014 at 10:26 pm

I just ordered that sweater from Nordstrom.com in a teal color. 🙂 My favorite leggings are from LOFT. Their petite-sized ones have about 25" inseams. The ponte ones are quite warm, too.

• Leona December 7, 2014 at 10:28 pm

I LOVE Athleta Polartec Power stretch 2 tight. It's their winter legging and perfect for exercise, lounging at home or running errands around town. It's really thick, warm and versatile. I also love Uniqlo Heat tech base layers which are more affordable and lightweight. A few years ago, my favorite leggings came from American Apparel – they were thick, comfy and around $40…I haven't checked the quality in recent years, but I was never able to look back on cheaper leggings after that experience!

• Leona December 7, 2014 at 10:33 pm

PS: Nordstrom rack sells Zella leggings too. If you don't need true winter leggings for outdoor exercise, this might be a good alternative.

• ami December 7, 2014 at 11:45 pm

I super recommend Uniqlo leggings. They are inexpensive and I own 7 or 8 pairs (both black and their jeggings). I'm just shy of 5'2 and always have issues with length on pants/leggings but these fit perfectly. Maybe it's because it's originally a Japanese brand but I think it's great for petite people.

• Anonymous December 7, 2014 at 11:54 pm

Hi Jean,

It's me Danielle again. Ended up getting that Anthropologie tulle sheath dress that you recommended for holiday parties, thanks again! I'm moving to New York next month and was considering a Balenciaga City bag since it's light and has that optional shoulder strap that would work well when wearing bulky coats or parkas. I wanted to ask you which color you would suggest for all season wear, black or beige/cream? As much as I'm trying to stay away from the normal black, I feel that I can't go wrong with it. What do you think of wearing a light colored bag in the dead of winter?

I hope you had a wonderful weekend despite the rain!

~Danielle

• IH December 8, 2014 at 12:07 am

I love seeing you restyling your loved pieces.

• Anonymous December 8, 2014 at 12:16 am

Hi Jean,
      Wanted to see if you could do a quick post on how you store your summer clothing during the winter and visa versa. Ie do you launder all items, how you store silks and wools vs poly blends, if you recommend air saver space bags, etc. if not a post, could provide your input in a reply? I was simply honking of laundering some items and storing all silks, poly, chiffon dresses together in an air saver bag… Thanks!! Mariana

• tellmeyblog.com December 8, 2014 at 12:56 am

Very cute day off look! Love it!

xx
      Yvonne

• Anonymous December 8, 2014 at 2:17 am

Hi Jean,

Notice you have a few OTK boots. Which is your fav? Thx!!!

Really enjoy reading your blog!!!

• Anonymous December 8, 2014 at 3:23 am

hi Jean, I have the DVF wrap dress similar to the one you recommended in one of your posts. It's 100% silk. The tag said: "dry clean only". I wonder if you would consider hand wash it at all. To be honest with you I had my expensive items dry cleaned and never had good experience, maybe I have not found a good dry cleaner. My DVF dress is not dirty, it's just has the food smell after I wore it to a dinner at a restaurant. I know if I hand wash it, it would be at my own risk, I just wonder if you would at all. Thanks for your advise. I Love your blog. I learn so much from your blog Jean. I find your style not only chic but very practical and many women can relate to.

• Taramixandmatch December 8, 2014 at 5:58 am

I really love how those black OTK boots look on you…I always am scared to try them being short, but this makes me want to!

• Carla Krae December 8, 2014 at 6:26 am

Victoria's Secret carries leggings in the catalog in lots of colors and fabrics/textures, and several lengths.

• Rachel Dinh December 8, 2014 at 10:23 am

Great Looks Jean! You pair your boots perfectly for that effortless look.

• xoyaoyao December 8, 2014 at 12:47 pm

I NEED that cardigan. Love all the looks you've came up with, especially the first one, with the black boots!

xoyaoyao.wordpress.com

• Courtney December 8, 2014 at 12:58 pm

super cute! I live in my boots, a total must have for the season!
      XO Courtney
      Dress Outside The Lines

• Anonymous December 8, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I love the American Apparel winter leggings! I've had mine for 2 winters (approaching 3 winters now) and they are excellent, even for Toronto winters. Super warm and I haven't had issues with pilling or fading!

• Hope Howland December 8, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Oh how gorgeous.. Love the combo of this look!
      Hope

• Anonymous December 8, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I'm not Jean, but I do have recommendations for both of your questions. The Conair De-Fuzzer (http://www.amazon.com/Conair-CLS1-Battery-Operated-Fabric-Defuzzer/dp/B008I25368/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid;=1418066939&sr;=8-2&keywords;=conair+shaver+fabric) works amazingly and can be used on all fabrics that pill or get fuzzy. And the best solution I have found for those stains is Shout spray gel. Right after I take off the clothes I spray some and rub it in. The clothing can then sit in your hamper until you're ready to wash it. It's the only thing that has ever worked for me, and I've tried bleach, Biz, Oxyclean, baking soda, white vinegar, changing deodorants…pretty much every other solution out there. Good luck!

• Anonymous December 8, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Thanks a for the useful tips, I'll definitely try them out 🙂

• Lan December 8, 2014 at 11:53 pm

H&M; Kids Leggings always do it for me. I've had some for years and they are indestructible.

• Kristie Glenn December 9, 2014 at 9:31 am
    • Michele December 9, 2014 at 10:31 am

Do you handwash and line dry the cardigan as suggested, or have you had luck with another less time-consuming method?

• Soprano2 December 9, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Jean, I bought a pair of grey leggings from White House Black Market that are superb. They come in petites, and those are the only leggings I can wear, all the others are way too long and they are a pain to shorten. Mine are the Signature Ponte Leggings, they are of thicker fabric and the waistband is wide so it doesn't roll over when you wear them. Highly recommended, here's a link http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=15&pageId;=1&productId;=570121085&viewAll;=&prd;=Petite+Signature+Ponte+Grey+Legging&subCatId;=cat8739285&color;=&fromSearch;=&inSeam;=&posId;=8&catId;=cat8739284&cat;=Petites+Pants&onSale;=&colorFamily;=&maxPg;=1&size;=

• Anonymous December 9, 2014 at 3:36 pm

My favorite leggings are actually Old Navy Active leggings! They come in petite sizes and are a little more substantial than typical leggings, plus you can't beat the prices! I know they're meant for exercise, but I wear them for day to day looks similar to the ones you posted 🙂

• A Golden Tulip December 9, 2014 at 6:27 pm

love the way you layered a jacket over the cardigan…and so many great info about petite leggins from the readers…cant wait to try a few..

xo