Blank NYC faux leather jacket and olive lace skirt

faux leather and lace5
Blank NYC faux leather jacket, Talbots necklace
Ann Taylor skirt (sold out), Gap tee, YSL heels, Goyard tote

I received a question from a reader, Jan, asking about animal-friendly moto jackets, and the blogger over at the Internet and the Unicorn kindly commented with a suggestion. I checked it out and really liked the style (and price point!) of this Blank nyc faux leather jacket! I typically would’ve browsed right past it because the XS is labeled to equate to a 0-2 womens regular, but the description and some reviews noted it ran small. It turned out to be one of the most fitted jackets I’ve tried on to date, and is a keeper for me (bonus: no alterations needed!).
faux leather and lace1
A jacket like this is very easy to pair for casualwear, but depending on your office dress code, can possibly be weaved into work outfits as well. I tried it on with a few work pieces and it didn’t look bad with each option. My office dress code specifies no leather, so I’ve been wearing this for the commute only, with a sleeved top underneath for at my desk.
faux leather and lace3I wanted to note that there are a number of trendier details on this coat, but I thought they melded fairly well together. The lapel areas are asymmetrical – the zipper loops over onto the inside at the upper left, whereas the upper right corner folds over. There are also 2 faux-zippered pockets (wish they were real!), plus zipper detail on the bottom sides that go almost all the way around the back but do not detach. And lastly, the shoulders are padded to have a stronger silhouette. Usually with jackets that I try on, the fit is looser overall so a strong shoulder ends up looking more overwhelmingly boxy and less like an intentional aspect of design. Because the entire jacket here is very fitted, I liked the effect of the structured shoulders. faux leather and lace4
This jacket fits similar to an H&M; sz 2, except with slimmer sleeves (which I am a big fan of). The sleeve width fit comfortably on me over a regular long sleeve top, and are snug over a thick sweater. The sleeve length is just a tad long on me, but rides up with movement so it’s not enough to get altered. Measurements of a size XS zipped up are: 14″ seam to seam across the shoulders (15″ across including the padding), 15.5″ armpit to armpit, 13.5″ across the waist, 19″ length, 22″ sleeve length, 4.5″ sleeve width. Please note that there is some thickness to the material, so the fit feels smaller than the measurements listed. Material is 40% viscose, 60% polyurethane. Fully lined.
faux leather and lace2

69 thoughts on “Blank NYC faux leather jacket and olive lace skirt

• Anonymous October 27, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Success!! After ordering and returning from Amazon, nordstroms, zappos… I just located perfect premium Jeans (no hemming needed!) at my local Anthropologie yesterday in CT. They now have a petite's section and carry several premium brands (J Brand, AG, Pilcro, etc.). I'm 5'2" and 110# and the AG Legging Jeans (so soft) in size 26P/27P fit perfectly length wise (no hemming needed!!). As did the AG straight leg. The J Brand in petite fit lengthwise too. Pilcro was also great were too short for me (I never thought that day would come). Unfortunately I paid full price. Thought i would share.

• Anonymous October 27, 2013 at 2:07 pm

One more thing… they had plenty of 24P, 25P for those smaller than me.

• Caitlyn November 3, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I have such major closet envy right now, I have about twenty tabs pulled up on a ton of different outfits I've been looking at of yours. I just discovered your blog and I don't know if I'm ecstatic or overly envious… Your style is absolute perfection and I can't wait to start dressing like this as soon as I graduate! I will follow your blog faithfully.

• Linda November 4, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Love the moto jacket and how you styled it with the dress!

• The Internet and The Unicorn November 12, 2013 at 10:49 pm

@Alterations Needed – I just read this now, thank you for your input. I shop at Nordstrom quite a bit, so getting the card with the free tailoring seems like a great deal. THANK YOU again!

• Le monde des petites November 12, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Love your jacket and skirt!!!

xoxo

Le monde des petites

• Womens Leather Jackets November 21, 2013 at 6:02 am

That leather jacket look so pretty on you..! i love your outfit and your blog 🙂

• Michel David November 30, 2013 at 12:45 am

your jacket is so beautiful i really like your jacket.! Blue Superman Man of Steel Leather Jacket

• Shubhi December 4, 2013 at 8:13 am

Hi Jean,
    Not sure if you have been asked this question before – I have a classic fashion personality and also work in very conservative environment. Thus Blazers are my all time favourite cover ups for both casual and formal clothes. I struggle to add casual jackets to my wardrobe for weekends/ casual Fridays. I dont like wearing cardigans/ jumpers as they hide my petite hourglass figure. I have recently bought a denim and leather jacket for some variety over the seasons. What other casual jackets would you suggest to add – with jeans as well as dresses. Thanks for your help!

• Maria Martina December 12, 2013 at 3:59 am

Mens Leather Jackets
    Leather jackets and blazers look great over dress pants and button-ups, and they will also keep you warm during your morning commute. Wear leather women's jackets over cardigans, silk blouses and business skirts for an edgy look and buy a black leather women's jacket to layer over a dress shirt and vest to keep your outfit professional.

• Buy Cheap Leather Jacket January 16, 2014 at 4:32 am

All Blazers and leather jackets are looking awesome. Really wearable.

• Bruce Wagner January 22, 2014 at 9:17 am

Faux Leather Jackets are awesome, they are so versatile and very economical.

• Anonymous May 7, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Jane, I have been following your blog for a long time. I like this leather jacket you wear and found a XS one in blue color, did you see the blue one before? Does it look good? Thanks, any information is appreciated!

• Nilesh Raval May 26, 2014 at 9:17 am

Our leather shirts are custom made to order using your choice of design, size, and materials. We can design for all body sizes and types – yes, plus sizes welcome to order. We are happy to make modification to our designs that include: selecting the colour of the buttons and the inclusion of lining and pockets. All of our leather shirts deliver a unique look for your next leather event. Leather daddies can proudly show off your masculine physique in our sleeveless leather shirt.

• Brett May 29, 2014 at 2:05 am

wow, jacket looks so awesome with skirt.

• Frank Lamar July 12, 2014 at 4:07 am

good look, but i think leather jacket would look really cute with flowy dresses or tops. just to tone down the girliness. the jacket would also work with regular jeans and a t-shirt…

• Anonymous January 30, 2015 at 10:02 am

hi Jean! would you consider getting the off-white moto jacket? your blog is fabulous. thanks so much.

• Anonymous March 31, 2016 at 11:25 am

What size are you wearing in this jacket?

• Amanda August 2, 2016 at 8:36 pm

Hi Jean,
    What's the warmest and coldest temperatures that you've worn this faux leather jacket? I live in NYC and I'm just wondering what's the coldest temperature that I can wear this jacket. Thank you!