• Fall neutrals + tall boots for short legs

petite fashion - tall boots cardigan scarf1

Bobeau fleece (in “mink” sz xxs petite), LOFT scarf (sold out), Target chambray shirt (old)

I noticed these affordable tall boots got restocked in sizes 4 – 12, so wanted to share these photos before sizes dwindled down again! The calves are not as narrow as I’d like (the top opening measures 13.75″ around for reference, and they’re also available in wide calf), however the shaft height was just right on my shorter legs. When I ordered, only the “chocolate” color was available and now I see classic black is as well. Black is probably the more flattering and versatile choice (especially for wearing with tights or leggings), but I have to say I love the earthy look of the dark taupe brown.petite fashion tall boots cardigan scarf 4

Fall beauty faves: MAC “Charismatic” lip color, Essie “Hot coco” polish

A few of you requested more pairings with this cardigan, so here’s a casual one I wore for running errands. I stopped by Nordstrom recently and couldn’t believe all the new variations it comes in! I tried on this black & white texture version which seemed versatile – please note that fabric felt thinner, more like a lightweight sweater knit than a fleece, and ran even narrower in the arms. For that pattern I would suggest sizing up, especially if you want to wear something under. Personally my favorite is still this original fleece material. I layered a chambray shirt here for texture at the sleeve cuffs, and added a plaid scarf for pattern and warmth.
    I couldn’t be happier with my final color choice for this Robinson tote. I usually love the classic pop of true red with outfits, and the burgundy here serves a similar role but in a more muted, deeper hue for fall outfits. I’ve been carrying this mostly with the crossbody strap which is great for hands-free errands. The strap is surprisingly short enough for a petite frame, without having to punch extra holes and have excess strap flapping around. The base of this bag is thick and didn’t sag with my current 4lb laptop, however a base shaper may be ideal when carrying items that are heavier and more concentrated in size.
    petite fashion - tall boots cardigan scarf
    I meant to take these boots to the cobbler last weekend for calf slimming alterations, but couldn’t bring myself to part with them during peak boot-wearing season! I was thinking a temporary alternative could be knit legwarmers or boot cuffs – something to help fill the gap around the calves without adding extra thickness in the foot area. I’ve seen interesting DIY ideas floating around the web involving cutting off the sleeves of old sweaters. I don’t have any unwanted sweaters, but might try snipping off the toes of old knit socks for the same purpose.

The heel of these boots is stable and doesn’t feel like 3″ high at all. Similar to the ankle boot version (restocked in 6 colors), if you plan on walking in these for a prolonged period, I’d suggest ball of foot cushion inserts for more padding. Once again I’m usually between 5 and 5.5, and sized up to the 5.5 for these. If anyone else owns these boots, please share thoughts on how you like them!

66 thoughts on “Fall neutrals + tall boots for short legs

• Audrey Lin October 28, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Loving everything about your outfit! I struggle with dressing in a way that makes me look shorter than I already look, so I usually refrain from wearing longer tops, such as the cardigan you're wearing, but you're really making it work! With tall boots nonetheless! I'm also really loving all the layers–that's what autumn is all about! 😛 -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

• Chantelle October 29, 2014 at 12:01 am

Totally adore this look. Thanks for showing us some boots for skinny legs!!! Appreciate it <3

• Emily October 29, 2014 at 12:16 am

Sometimes I find tall boots awkward on me because my legs are bow-legged. Your legs look fine but I thought you mentioned in earlier posts that you also suffer slight bow-leggedness – does it ever make it tricky for you to find the right boots?

• prudence yeo October 29, 2014 at 12:47 am

Such a cute pair of boots! It makes the whole ensemble looks more fun and chic!

Prudence

• Sasa Zoe October 29, 2014 at 1:03 am

So cute and chic! Love this outfit<3

• wanderlistblog.com October 29, 2014 at 1:15 am

Love the boots and your layering in this post!

xo Tam
      http://wanderlistblog.com/ | Put it on The List

• MochaGirl262 October 29, 2014 at 1:45 am

Perfect Fall outfit! Everything is so cute and the fleece is so affordable! Thank you 🙂 xo Kelly kellylovesmakeup.blogspot.com

• itsjpei October 29, 2014 at 1:47 am

Ahh, such pleasing fall colors!

• Satu // XL Elämää October 29, 2014 at 4:58 am

Great look dear <3

Satu

• Rick Robillard October 29, 2014 at 5:12 am

The boots are perfect for you!

Red Reticule

• Rakela October 29, 2014 at 7:36 am

I really wanted to love these boots (own & love the booties) but couldn't justify the gap between the calves. I have very thin calves as well and they looked funny on me so I walked away…But your suggestions to the gap issue sounds totally doable and functional 🙂

• Chrissy @ Pink Polish and Running Shoes October 29, 2014 at 8:28 am

Love those boots! It's so hard to find a tall pair that fit properly on petite women. That's my biggest struggle during the fall.

• Lynn October 29, 2014 at 9:28 am

My daughter is 5'1" and has calves about 13" around. These fit her like a dream over jeans. Go up half a size like everyone says if you want to fit socks.

• Julie October 29, 2014 at 10:21 am

So you did buy that scarf! I was hoping you would so I could see it paired in other outfits. Too bad the image of it on the Loft website doesn't show up.

I love this whole outfit–it's a great fall look!

Style by Joules

• lil desiqua October 29, 2014 at 11:59 am

Such a cute look! Thanks for recommending these boots, it's hard to find ones that don't take up my entire leg! Do you have any recommendations for ones that are slimmer in the calf?

• Candice October 29, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Love your outfit, Jean!

• Mandy Huey October 29, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Love, love, love this outfit! So cozy and perfect for fall. And I'm sooo in love with your bag <3 My sister has the same one in black and it's beautiful!

Mandy

• Kim Uyen Dang October 29, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Thanks for the recommendation! Glad they worked out for you but unfortunately, I'm going to have to return mine. They are too roomy in the ankle area, which wouldn't be too big a deal if the leather were stiffer. I'm so disappointed – they were so comfortable, especially the heel!

• Anonymous October 29, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I love this outfit! Your blog posts have really been helpful for me as I really struggle fashion wise. Can you tell me what the shaft height is for these boots? I'm 5'0" but I have really short legs so I'm worried they would still be too high on me. Thank you!

• Miriam Henderson October 29, 2014 at 4:21 pm

I love this simple and elegant outfit. You look stunning.
      X
      Miri

• tellmeyblog.com October 29, 2014 at 5:14 pm

You look very cute in this casual outfit, and great choice on the colour of the bag! 😉

xx
      Yvonne

• Suzie Q October 29, 2014 at 9:47 pm

This is such a cute fall look! I love the final color of the TB bag that you decided on! Those boots look great on you! I actually like the current look of the boots with the wider calf 🙂

Suzie Q

• Ailén Celada October 29, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Love the photos!!

Kisses,

IT GIRL AILÉN

• Cynthia Nguyen October 29, 2014 at 9:58 pm

This is such a nice look for autumn! I'm wondering would you do OTK boots look as well for us petite gals?

Cynthia

• Anonymous October 29, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Love this entire outfit, Jean! You posted some Sole Society booties in an Instagram photo (that we're the Lylee booties) Did you wind up keeping those?

• Anonymous October 29, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Sorry, *were not the Lylee booties

• Anonymous October 29, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Actually I got a really similar pair (in black) at Target over the summer, you should check there! It was also only about $30 with a 25% discount code for boots

• une vie à vivre October 30, 2014 at 2:29 pm

I love your outfit! But I prefer to return boots when they have that kind of gap… I also tend to look at boots that are high but not very high so the calf will fit at the right high (does it make sense)? Love also the great tips you gave all the time !

• Shelby Dickinson October 30, 2014 at 2:31 pm

The Frye Rory Scrunch Boot has a very similar look and an even smaller calf opening, and the leather is so soft. I ended up getting them in two colors because it was so hard to find something that was small enough at the top to work with tights.

• Anonymous October 30, 2014 at 6:45 pm

love the outfit!

• Anonymous October 30, 2014 at 9:56 pm
    • Dr Elin October 31, 2014 at 3:21 am

Thanks to your recommendation in a previous post I bought the fleece wrap in S petite – perfect fit! It is so soft and comfy, and I don't find the arms to be that narrow (just the right "narrowness")

• maya luna October 31, 2014 at 5:05 am

lovely outfit.. 🙂 womens boyfriend jeans@http://robecart.com

• Nissi Mendes October 31, 2014 at 9:14 am

Nice outfit 🙂

• Jean October 31, 2014 at 10:07 am

Hi Emily – these hit below the knees so that was not an issue for me. For above the knee boots that are fitted (like Stuart Weitzmans), the leather will bend a bit with the curvature of the knees so the line is not entirely straight visually, but it didn't bother me much.

• Jean October 31, 2014 at 10:08 am

You'll have to let me know if you find well-fitting boots for both narrow and short calves : )

• Jean October 31, 2014 at 10:08 am

I'm so glad to hear they work well on her!

• Jean October 31, 2014 at 10:10 am

Hi there – the only ones I've tried that fit nicely in the calf are from pricier brands. I'm not sure why that is, but more mainstream brands in general tend to run normal or wider while many higher end brands run pretty slim. I've tried Stuart Weitzman, Aquatalia, Manolo Blahnik, and Prada tall boots that all fit my 12-12.5" calves surprisingly well. The Aquatalia Rhumba boot especially was beautiful with a snug fit and walkable heel, plus is fully weatherproof. That one is $500-$600 priced at the lower end of the brands mentioned above.

• Jean October 31, 2014 at 10:11 am

Hi Kim! Similar to with Rakela above, I hope you will share any future finds on boots for both narrow and short calves : )

• Jean October 31, 2014 at 10:11 am

Hi there – the height is a little under 14 inches. I am also 5 feet tall for reference!