I said yes

Thank you so much to everyone who shared kind words and well wishes on our recent engagement. We read each and every message, and they have really warmed our hearts. Some of them were from longtime readers, with whom I’ve been fortunate to share snippets of fashion and life through this blog over the years. Several of you have asked about the proposal, so I figured I’d share on here…

We recently purchased our first condo and are doing renovations before moving in, which means the weekend started off like any other these days: with a visit to our BFFs at Home Depot. We grabbed a few bags of soil and picked out some pieces for the bathroom…riveting stuff…(Nick claims he used his better judgment at this point and resisted popping the question in the plumbing aisle). Back at our place, we were getting ready to work so I started to change into my manual labor “scrubs.” Nick asked if I wanted to keep my normal outfit on, which should’ve been my first clue something was up. He’s usually a strong advocate for practicality, so I’m thinking…are you nuts? I’m going to be hauling tile and shoveling cow manure!

I ignored this strange advice and proceeded to put on my dirty clothes and ratty sneakers. After just a few loaded trips up and down the stairs, I was panting like a dog and desperately needed to cool off on the roof. My tomatoes needed re-potting, so I decided to busy myself with that (yes, that is now my idea of fun…I’ve fast-forwarded straight to senior citizenship). proposal 1
Soon after, Nick came bounding onto the roof deck with multiple cameras swinging from his neck (should’ve been my second clue). I figured the boy just liked to take scenic photos, so I went on super-focused on my plants. He appeared to aimlessly wander around the roof for a while before popping up from behind me with a bunch of seed packets in his hands. “Why don’t you plant these seeds?” I glanced disinterestedly and was like, cucumbers? It’s not the season yet!proposal 2He kept on awkwardly pushing them toward me saying I should plant them, which only made me more thoroughly confused, as seen above.
seed packet front
It took a while for me to realize a “special” packet was wedged between the cucumber seeds… proposal 3After seeing the back of the packet, it finally started to come together. I don’t remember a word said after that except he was down on one knee, and I was vigorously nodding. And it wasn’t until the ring was on that I noticed the multiple cameras from before set up like spycams.
seed packet backI met Nick while we were freshmen in college, but even then it wasn’t hard for me to see his patience, creativity, and huge heart – qualities that I knew I’d be lucky to have someday in a husband and the father of my children. I’m the happiest girl to be starting the next chapter of life with my biggest supporter and best friend.
proposal 4

337 thoughts on “I said yes

• Vickai! May 7, 2014 at 12:06 am

OMG this is SOOOOO cute and sweet! CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS!!!

• Laura May 7, 2014 at 12:06 am

Jean! That is the cutest proposal story! I love all the action shots he was sneaky enough to catch on camera. That's such a clever way to ask for you to be his forever. I wish you both the best. You are so lucky to have each other. Congrats!

xo Laura Saur

• Illegal Alienated May 7, 2014 at 12:09 am

Congratulations Jean! I am a long time lurker but I wanted to "surface" to wish you best of luck!

• H May 7, 2014 at 12:14 am

Congratulations!! I'm also a long time lurker/reader. So happy for you guys! 🙂

• neurosciency May 7, 2014 at 12:15 am

that is so sweet! congratulations and best wishes!

• caitlyn May 7, 2014 at 12:15 am

Delurking to say congratulations!!! What a wonderful proposal. Thanks for sharing with us!

• jenbe.me May 7, 2014 at 12:15 am

what a creative proposal! 🙂 congratulations!!

• irugnotmis May 7, 2014 at 12:19 am

thanks for sharing, congrats again!!

• Olyvia May 7, 2014 at 12:20 am

OMG! Congrats Jean!!! The stories of you and Nick always have me laughing. You two have the funniest humor on the fashion blog world (still remembering Petite Asian Boy). The seed packet thing is so sweet and clever of Nick! The look on your confused or "what the heck?" face when he handed you the seed packets is priceless, hahaha! So cute! Congrats again! Hope to see some tips on wedding attire for petites to come 🙂

• simplyvonne May 7, 2014 at 12:20 am

Jean I'm soooo happy for you and nick. Can't wait to see how you plan your wedding.

• A Petite Treat May 7, 2014 at 12:20 am

That is such an awesome proposal! Congratulations!!!

Jenn
    A Petite Treat

• Quiana May 7, 2014 at 12:21 am

What a sweet proposal! Hooray for college sweethearts! I met my husband when we were both 18 in college as well at a BU party (he went to BC and I went to Wellesley) and 15 years later still going strong. Wishing you a lifetime a happiness!

• Jenny B. May 7, 2014 at 12:21 am

This is absolutely beautiful Jean! Thank you for sharing the proposal story and the biggest congratulations to you and Nick!

• Demi May 7, 2014 at 12:22 am

I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU, JEAN!! Congratulations forever, that is such a sweet, thoughtful proposal and I can only dream that I'll have something like that in store for me one day.

• Abby May 7, 2014 at 12:25 am

Very creative! Congrats! What wonderful things you have to say about Nick, and how nice that you have known one another for that long and have seen eachother come into your own as you have.

Love that facial expression…I don't believe we've seen that one in any of your previous blog photos. Ha!

• Ella Pretty Blog May 7, 2014 at 12:29 am

Such a beautiful and creative proposal…love the secret cameras recording the proposal! Am so happy for you both – you're a beautiful couple – inside and out <3

• kimmie May 7, 2014 at 12:29 am

I can't stop laughing at that second picture. So priceless! what a special engagement and congratulations, Jean! you two are seriously such a beautiful and perfect couple, and I'm so happy for you two!!! 🙂

• Chiyong May 7, 2014 at 12:29 am

Best wishes and congratulations!

• Olivia Tran May 7, 2014 at 12:32 am

Hi Jean,
    I've been reading your blog but never left any comment. I'm truly happy for you and big congrats to you both xx

• Anna May 7, 2014 at 12:33 am

Jean, I am so so happy for you! So glad you chose to share with us the details of the proposal. I've seen Nick's instagram from time to time through yours and am not surprised that he was so creative in his proposal. (:

• Drowsy 1 May 7, 2014 at 12:33 am

Big congrats! You facial expression on seeing packets of seeds was priceless.
    Right before my BF (now Hubby) proposed to me on the beach, he put his paper coffee cup down. I also had a disgusted facial expression like "why are you littering?!" Now it just makes me laugh 🙂 Enjoy the new chapter of you life!

• Mary Ann May 7, 2014 at 12:35 am

I'm happy for you Jean – I've thought (for years) that you two makes such a cute couple! 😉

• Serene Lew May 7, 2014 at 12:38 am

Such a beautiful proposal! He is such a wonderful and romantic man!

• Loretta May 7, 2014 at 12:38 am

yay. congrats!

• Miriam May 7, 2014 at 12:38 am

This is such a sweet proposal! Nick is so creative! You still manage to look pretty despite the working clothes. You guys are so cute! Congratulations on your engagement!

• via May 7, 2014 at 12:39 am

Longtime lurker as well, but wanted to wish you and Nick the best of luck as you start on this new chapter together. Looking forward to your wedding prep posts – please please don't hold out on us! lol

• Jessica May 7, 2014 at 12:40 am

omg what a great story! im laughing to myself right now about how you kept thinking he was so weird while he was trying to set it all up (this seems to be a recurring theme in all my friends' engagement stories too haha). i love how your nails were nicely done for the occasion though! =P congrats to you both and congrats on the condo too!!!

• aquav87 May 7, 2014 at 12:42 am

Another long-time lurker coming out to wish you and Nick congratulations!!! Such a sweet, genuine proposal!

• Petite-ish May 7, 2014 at 12:44 am

D'aww!!! Nick did such a nice job… what a great plan, only to be thrwarted by your oblivion haha! Love these photos and they're just like our pictures, except ours only had our heads, but yours have your heads cut off. That's how you know it's real.

• Michelle R May 7, 2014 at 12:44 am

Home Depot plumbing isle proposal would have been hilarious!! I love the confused picture. :p Big thumbs up to Nick for all the spy cams! Congrats you two! 🙂

• Lin May 7, 2014 at 12:46 am

Been a long time reader of your blog and youtube subscriber. So happy for you! what a sweet proposal!

• Michelle R May 7, 2014 at 12:47 am

"aise" :/

• Elysia May 7, 2014 at 12:50 am

Oh my gosh. I think this is one of the cutest proposals I’ve ever seen. Your reaction and recount are fantastic. Congratulations to you and Nick!

P.S. We have similar taste in typefaces. 🙂

• Sophia Jih May 7, 2014 at 12:50 am

Congratulations, Jean! I admit that I'm also a long-time lurker (I remember back to the Petite Asian Boy April Fools post), but wanted to come out of the woodwork to wish you the best for the future.

• Pi May 7, 2014 at 12:51 am

YAY!!! I was lurking this weekend and lurking some more yesterday hoping for a new post, and then this!! Congratulations!!

• Emy May 7, 2014 at 12:53 am

Aww, that's so lovely! Congratulations to the two of you! And wish you a lovely new journey together.

• Carolyn May 7, 2014 at 12:55 am

That is so beautiful and sweet!! Congratulations and best wishes to you both on your engagement, Jean and Nick!

• Liz || Shopping My Closet May 7, 2014 at 12:56 am

Congratulations and best wishes!

Liz @ http://www.shoppingmycloset.com

• Dee May 7, 2014 at 12:56 am

Aww beautiful story! Congratulations!!

• Anonymous May 7, 2014 at 12:58 am