• Winter layers: Knit blazer + mixed prints

knit blazer mixed prints1

Zara heels w/ shoe clips from eBay, DIY peplum top (similar), J.Crew coat and boys gingham shirt

After my interest was piqued in-store, I ordered this blazer online (also available in solid red, navy, and navy stripe) and have since been very pleased. The material is stretchy and super comfortable, plus the working pockets are a nice touch. If you are taller than ~ 5’1″ and do not want a “shrunken fit” blazer, I would recommend the regular sizing over the petite. I tried on a regular XS in this post and think that length looks better if you usually wear jeans or pants. I kept the petite since I’m most often in skirts and dresses, which I’ve learned look more flattering with shorter jackets.
    knit blazer mixed prints3
    In response to a few requests, I’m working on a “staple series” of posts featuring items that have been the foundation of my wardrobe. A ponte/knit blazer is definitely on that list – I wear my striped and solid ones on heavy rotation, plus use this as a “lining” inside coats on especially cold days. If you don’t already own a versatile navy and white striped version, I’d recommend this jacket in that pattern.
    knit blazer mixed prints
    ^ Jacket back view. Aside from a visible torso length difference of 2-3″ and sleeve length of ~1″ (when uncuffed, the sleeves here are “bracelet length” on me) between the regular and petite sizing, I unfortunately can’t speak with certainty about differences in width. I remember the regular sizing fit fine but it was over a sweatshirt I was also trying on, so I’m not sure how it’d look with a regular, thinner top.

Measurements of the petite XS: 15.5″ across the armpits, 14.5″ across the waist when buttoned, 13.25″ across shoulders, 19.5″ back – 20.5″ front torso length, 20.25″ sleeve length. Stretchy 85% cotton, 15% polyester, unlined.
    knit blazer mixed prints2 The simplest rule to remember when mixing patterns is to use prints in contrasting sizes. Stick to a palette of 1-2 colors if you want to be safe, and layer with neutrals. Boden does this well – their spring catalog is full of gorgeous print-mixing inspiration!

62 thoughts on “Winter layers: Knit blazer + mixed prints

• Olyvia February 9, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Love the cute little bow clips on your pumps!

• Anonymous February 9, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Love this!! I love that peplum top so much i bought the mod cloth one!Love your style.Any idea of doing a valentines day outfit? ๐Ÿ™‚
      Shenu

• jodi February 9, 2014 at 11:35 pm

hi jean. do you mind that it is unlined? I bought a similar blaz er from urban outfitters that was also unlined which ended up pilling and mishapen after one machine wash
      how does the old navy one hold up?

• Anonymous February 10, 2014 at 12:30 am

Sold out online ):

• Carelia Moran February 10, 2014 at 1:27 am

Awesome!! I love the pattern mixing! The blazer and the coat are the perfect layering. I wore a mixed patterns look the other day, you are welcome to check it out in my blog.
      Xo
      Carelia

"The Maximalist" Blog post on:
      MySmallWardrobe.com

• Hi Tea Style February 10, 2014 at 2:31 am

Love your outfit! That's an amazing green coat!

• YULISTARI and KUSTARI February 10, 2014 at 4:52 am
    • TaraMixandMatch February 10, 2014 at 6:46 am

Love your layering here..and your hair looks gorgeous!

• Suzie Q February 10, 2014 at 8:12 am

Love how you layered and mixed patterns with this outfit. The bow clip-on for the heels is such a cute and clever idea! Didn't even know that they make those for shoes, but it's perfect since I'm currently obsessed with bow shoes ๐Ÿ™‚

Suzie Q

• Polished Pinstripes February 10, 2014 at 9:31 am

It seems I'm in agreement with all the previous commentators, but I just wanted to add my support of your layering here ๐Ÿ™‚ It looks really classy and pulled together! Usually I think of layering as somewhat casual, but you make it look perfect for the office! And the soft brown of the bag is GORGEOUS against all the navy blue!
      -Ruthanna

• Kellie The Shoe Diva February 10, 2014 at 10:59 am

Very curious about the navy and white striped version of the ponte/knit blazer. I'm not very brave in mixing patterns, but you may have just given me courage to try it one of these days. Thanks for the tip!

• Anonymous February 10, 2014 at 11:57 am

hi Jean, what size is that Crewcut boy shirt? It looks like it fits you very well. I'm looking for something like that but hard to find the right size that fits. thanks Jean

• Mei Fleming February 10, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Layering perfection here! I love the checkered shirt, layered with stripes, then a blazer, and finally coat. It's soo soo chic!

NEW POST:: VALENTNE's WISH

xoxo

• Irene Buffa February 10, 2014 at 12:18 pm
    • Sheena February 10, 2014 at 1:29 pm

I love this look for the office!
      sheenavirmani.com

• Lisa February 10, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Love this outfit. As someone else said, the jacket is unfortunately sold out in grey online – any suggestions on where to find a similar one?

• Anonymous February 10, 2014 at 2:39 pm

TBH, the layering of the tops looks awkward-it would have looked better without the peplum top underneath

• Le monde des petites February 10, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Love so much your pumps!!!!

xoxo from Dubai

Le monde des petites

• Anonymous February 10, 2014 at 5:13 pm

jean, i love your shoe clips! who on ebay did you buy them from?

• sarsar February 10, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Hi Jean,

I was the anonymous person last time asking about the shoulder width of this blazer during your last post, to which you replied you should carry a tape measure in your purse from now on ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyways, I ended up purchasing the white/navy stipe in XS regular – I couldn't get the petite XS because I live in Canada. I have the measurements of the regular XS, but to those reading this I managed to shrink it a little bit in the dryer so these are the measurements post-shrinkage: 16" across armpits, 14.5" across the waist when buttoned, 13.75" across the shoulder, 21.5" front/back torso length, 21" sleeve length.
      It fits me very well throughout but as you said, the shrunken fit of the XS petite does look better with skirts/dresses so I'll be wearing mine mostly with trousers/jeans! ๐Ÿ™‚

And I can't wait for your staple series, so excited! ๐Ÿ™‚

– Sarah

• pumpkinmommy February 10, 2014 at 6:54 pm

You forgot to mention the other great thing about ponte blazersโ€ฆthey pack better than woven fabrics! My question (as it usually is) is about laundry. Dry clean, hand wash, machine wash with laundry net and hang dry, or none of the above? ๐Ÿ™‚

• Allison February 10, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Hey Jean! I love that green coat. I have a question if you don't mind — I am not an IG member so couldn't ask there, but what size is the shirt you're trying on in this pic? http://instagram.com/p/kLSP7SF3uP/ (I love that blouse!)

• jan February 10, 2014 at 10:51 pm

@ Lisa and anonymous poster above– I just noticed that Gap also has a grey classic ponte blazer in petite sizes. It is lined. Not sure about how the fit compares to the ON version, but right now it's $88 plus 30% off.

• Anonymous February 11, 2014 at 1:20 pm

I have to disagree with most of the above here. I think the layering looks sloppy with the peplum top. It's pushing the blazer out in a weird way.

• Lisa February 11, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Awesome – thanks Jan!

• I am A Love Addict February 11, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Love your pants
      I am A Love Addict

• Anonymous February 11, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Hi Jean,

I've been following your blog a long time and have found myself becoming careful of the fit more and more- thank you very much.
      I work in consulting which also requires a professional attire at all times which means I end up buying a lot of black, navy and grey. On the other hand, I love color and would love to add some to my wardrobe at work.
      Could you give some tips?

Thank you.

• Janki February 11, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I'm amazed at how you can wear so many layers and not look puffy. I do like the simple formula for mixing of patterns. I never noticed that before and I think it could open up some ideas. I appreciate that because sometimes I see things and I know it doesn't "work", but I can't put my finger on WHY.

I like learning more about the basics of the wardrobe. I've really worked hard to keep my wardrobe streamlined this year. I pretty much kept my resolution not to buy before altering and it's very liberating. I am not swayed by sales or flighty trends. And getting dressed is easy since everything fits well.
      Could you do a post on what to bring/wear to a conference? I find that boring black suits are a dime a dozen, yet I want to stay professional.

• Nicole N February 11, 2014 at 9:18 pm

The ponte blazer is on sale for $9.97 for dark grey or $12.97 for black in the clearance section. The extra 15% off works with it too!

• Xi Ling February 11, 2014 at 10:41 pm

I really love your videos in youtube. They are very helpful, especially for Asian girls, like me. Why did you stop making videos?

• brietta February 12, 2014 at 11:24 am

Thanks for your tip on these blazers! I purchased all three colors and kept all three because they fit so well on someone as small as me. ๐Ÿ™‚
      I posted about them here (http://littlebrietta.blogspot.com/2014/01/it-fits-petite-banana-republic-dress.html) and also wore the striped navy/white one again here (http://littlebrietta.blogspot.com/2014/02/jcrew-hughes-suede-purse-review.html).

• Anonymous February 12, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Hey Jean! I saw you on LOFT website in the petite cover page! I had to click back because I thought the model looked familiar. Anyway, it was a pleasant surprise to see you there. Congrats on your success with fashion. =)

-Ngoc

• Oriana Campanella February 12, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Great outfit, Jean! You look really chic and your green coat is just fab!
      Oriana x

• Anonymous February 13, 2014 at 11:58 am

I've been enjoying your posts for winter work wear and wardrobe staples–very practical and useful. Although I admire various blogs' posts on special occasion outfits and dressy attire, I can't really incorporate much of them into my life since work days and casual days occur WAY more often than weekends and date nights!

Also, brilliant idea with the big kids shoes in previous posts! I too wear a women's size 5 and want to try kids stuff, what is the big kids equivalent??

• Jean February 14, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Hi Shenu! Hope you're enjoying the modcloth top! Every day feels like Valentine's day for me so no special outfit…hope you have a good one with your special someone!

• Jean February 14, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Hi Jodi, I don't mind – even the J.Crew one (which retailed for much more) is only partially lined up top so it doesn't do much. I would keep any jackets out of the dryer though, and lay flat to dry. THe dryer seems to do the most damage with misshaping items.

• Jean February 14, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Hi there – it's a 10 I believe. More details here: http://www.extrapetite.com/2012/01/style-in-suitcase-part-1-gingham-and.html Be warned that boys shirts are boxy and actually don't look good on women unless layered under something, so if you can wear 00P I'd suggest that for a little more 'shape' !

• Jean February 14, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Hi Lisa! Thanks Jan for the suggestion. I also noticed ponte/knit blazers at H&M; in grey and other colors.

• Jean February 14, 2014 at 6:36 pm

hi there – it was years ago and I remember it was a one-off seller and not one with a store : /

• Jean February 14, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Sarah, thank you for taking the time to provide the detailed regular measurements (despite post shrinking!). I'm glad the striped version worked out for you!