There are few things more beautiful in the Boston winter than a blanket of fresh snow over the city. We took a break from running errands to snap these photos while the powder was pristine.I wanted to share a purchase from last month that I can soundly recommend after wearing several times now. These cute BP by Nordstrom booties start in a rare size 4+, and come in five leather or suede color options. If you are just warming up to the ankle boot style (I’m aware they’re often considered as a “no no” for petite women), I would suggest basic black leather. When paired with opaque tights, dark pants or skinny jeans, a black ankle boot is chic and lengthening even for shorter legs.
I already own both black and cognac high-heeled booties, so was looking for another neutral color in a lower, more stable heel for everyday wear. These fit the bill, plus have nearly 5-star ratings from hundreds of reviewers. The vast majority of lower-star ratings are from shoppers who found the boots to be too small.
– Soft, smooth leather which I was impressed by right off the bat. I got the “grey” color which has kind of an aged / vintage leather look that’s darker at the toe and back of heel areas.
– Narrow ankle opening (mine measure ~ 8.75″ around the inner circumference, with a 4″ shaft height). My usual problem when trying on ankle-height boots is a wide gap between my ankle and the shoe opening – makes it look like I’m playing dress up in mom’s closet. There is a small gap here which does not look too bad even with tights or bare legs.
– Chunky and low (~2.5″) heel is stable and walkable, enough so that this could be a commuting shoe on non-snowy or rainy days. No breaking-in required.
– Comes in extended sizing so small-footed ladies don’t have to layer up on thick socks. The description notes these run small and suggest ordering half size up. I went with my usual size as I’m most often in thin, slippery tights. If you usually wear thick cotton or wool socks with booties, I would agree with going half to one whole size up. Nordies free ship & returns makes it easy to try multiples sizes if necessary.
Two areas of improvement:
– The leather does not appear to be treated for inclement weather or precipitation. I plan on looking into do-at-home protector sprays or finishes.
– I only noticed this after running errands for several hours, but there isn’t much cushioning in the front. If you plan on being on your feet for prolonged periods of time, I’d suggest sizing up to fit a gel or cushioned insole at the ball of foot area for more comfort.