Rainy day gear & petite-friendly sale finds

rainy day gear

Boden petites trench (past review) c/o, altered, LOFT blouse, Longchamp Planetes tote
H&M; scarf, Hunter wedge boots (similar), duck umbrella (similar cuties in yellow or red)

I’ve received requests to show more “practical” attire for cold and wet weather, so am putting together a post soon of favorite pieces for various outdoor conditions. Recently we were blessed with a little warmth, but of course that didn’t come without rain and gusty wind! I’ve been reaching for this Boden jacket quite a bit despite the oversized fit. The water-resistant material does its job, and my cold hands love the fleece-lined pockets. I really hope the brand will consider expanding into smaller petite sizes.
rainy day gear1
In the world of reviews, I wanted to start with this surprisingly well-fitting find from Old Navy that also comes in a classic navy stripe. I rarely stop by ON, but saw this knit blazer through the window. It was peeling off the mannequin from being too small in the shoulders. I’m trying the XS regular which was slim, and not bad at all in even the torso and sleeve lengths. I imagine it would fit someone my size perfectly in petite sizing (available online only, so I haven’t yet tried).

Old Navy Ponte-Knit Blazer in regular XS (4 colors, $26 with code NEWSTYLE)

old navy blzer
You can see here the importance of using proper-sized hangers. This jacket was carelessly hung in-store on a too-wide hanger, which left these unsightly pokes in the shoulders.
old navy blzer1
Flattering back and side profiles. Please note that I was wearing a very thick top underneath. The material has stretch. For anyone who was interested in but missed out on this J.Crew knit jacket, I’d highly recommend this one as an alternative.
old navy blzer2
I also popped into Banana Republic and tried on their latest Sloan dress. After checking with their PR team, Sloan refers to both the material and fit – the mix of expert tailoring combined with our signature contour stretch fabric instantly refines and sculpts your figure, while maintaining the garment’s shape.” Whatever it is, it’s my favorite style at BR because it runs small and is comfy.
BR sloan dress

Banana Republic Sloan colorblock dress, trying on 00 petite ($91 w/ NEWSTYLE)

I loved the classic black, tan, white combo and the flattering placement of the colored blocks on this dress. For those with minimal curves like myself, it adds some shape and makes the waist look very small. It’s sleeveless, but you can easily pair it with a shrug sweater or cropped cardigan/jacket. I was bummed to turn the dress around and see just solid black – feels like a shortcut to me, more often seen at H&M; and the like. The fit was good just like the other Sloan dress with sleeves I tried on before – very fitted in the torso/waist (but not uncomfortable due to the stretch), with about 2 inches of extra room in the hips.
gap quilted jacket

Gap girls quilted jacket, also in a classic white + black trim combo ($26 w/ code NEWSTYLE)

I saw this through a Gap Kids window and thought it was a pretty mature style for little kids. Here’s the fit of a girls sz L/10. I was surprised by how comfortable it was, and think the grown-up structure even makes it work-able for professional outfits. The quilted material is warm with stretch, albeit unlined so you see the insides of the little pockets (all 4 are functional…maybe for storing candy?).
gap kids quilted jacket closeup
One downside I noted is that the snap buttons were stiff and take some finagling to snap on and off. I wouldn’t wear this jacket shut though, so that may not be an issue. A different button and higher quality faux-leather trim would’ve also taken this jacket up several notches, but at the end of the day I know it’s a (very affordable) kids piece. I already have an abundance of jackets in same the square, cropped with 4 slit pockets style but just wanted to share this review.

50 thoughts on “Rainy day gear & petite-friendly sale finds

• zozo January 12, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Are the Hunter wedges very comfortable? Love the duck umbrella and agree, that last jacket is super mature looking. Couldn't imagine buying that for a child o_O Maaaybe if it was in brighter colors?
    x atelier zozo

• twentysomethingsimple January 12, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Ooh! The Old Navy blazer looks intriguing. I'll have to check it out!

xo Kimi

• Anonymous January 12, 2014 at 9:58 pm

I love your rainy day outfit. I've been building one myself because I just cannot stand getting into the office with wet shoes or clothes. And these duck, duck umbrellas are so adorable. Thanks for your post!

P.S. Where is your scarf from? Love the print and the way you tied it.

• Suzie Q January 12, 2014 at 9:58 pm

I really like the look of the patented rain boots. I can't see the sides of the boots in the photos, but since they're wedge boots, they seem to be a great option for looking chic in the rain as compared to the typical clunky rain boots. The second photo is so adorable!

Suzie Q

• Ella Pretty Blog January 12, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Love the GAP quilted jacket – I bought a similar cardigan from ZARA kids last year – love it when I find a cute option that actually fits me in the shoulders!

I'm going to check the GAP jacket out in store…especially because of the 4 pockets for candy storage – very useful 😉

• Anonymous January 13, 2014 at 12:38 am

For the Old Navy blazer in XS regular, do you mind telling me the shoulder measurements please? 🙂

• Anonymous January 13, 2014 at 1:07 am

Hi! I came across you blog while googling info on the Ferragamo Vara flats. I found a vintage pair at a thrift shop for $10 and in pretty good condition. My question is what does the bottom of your soles say? The pair I bought just says "Made In Italy", I know the current Varas have the "Salavtore Ferragamo" stamp above the "Made in Italy." I know, I know, your post was from last year, but I hope that you'll answer my question. Thank you in advance.

• Anonymous January 13, 2014 at 1:20 am

good finds. I recently went into a GapKids store to try on their clothes, and the lady would not let me in the fitting room because I was not a kid. I don't know if this has happened to anyone else. Perhaps NY is just a bit strict.

• Mei Fleming January 13, 2014 at 2:25 am

You're a genius at finding classic styles with the perfect petite fit! The rain boots with wedges are such a must with us petite girlies!

NEW POST:: CROP IT!

xoxo

• Dressed with soul January 13, 2014 at 2:25 am

I own already my second pair of Hunter boots and in my opinion they are very comfortable! I can really recommend them 🙂 And I´m still in love with this wonderful Boden trench.

• Anonymous January 13, 2014 at 3:00 am

Like the outfit but I have to say I LOVE the duckie umbrella you're rocking! I had a pink one as a little girl– brings back memories, haha.

• Andrea January 13, 2014 at 9:02 am

Haha… I tried on the same Gap Kids jacket that you did, Jean! It looked the same on me as it does on you and I was SO close to buying it. Glad I'm not the only one!

• pretty little things January 13, 2014 at 11:25 am

what an adorable rainy day outfit!! xo

• Petitetomatoes January 13, 2014 at 3:35 pm

great reviews.I own a gray blazer already, but i would love to have that striped one.

• Phoebe January 13, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Jean, quick question. Have you ever taken a peacoat (or other similar woolly coat) to the tailor before? I was just wondering if the results, in your experience, worked out. It seems a little difficult because the coat has a lining, so I imagine it'd be around $40-50 in alterations.

• Plum Pretty Sugar January 13, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Beautiful outfits! We enjoy every bit of this prettiness!

xo

• Bela Anzu January 13, 2014 at 9:30 pm

This is a great rainy day outfit! The horizontal stripes don't seem to diminish your height maybe because the colour contrast is low. I also like your cute duck umbrella!

• Amy January 14, 2014 at 12:15 am

I'm thinking of getting the white gap kids jacket but need some ideas for how to style it. Any help would be appreciated.

• chachamisu January 14, 2014 at 10:36 am

I want to ask about the torso length. what you think about it. Especially when looking for blazer, I find here in Austria the torso part even in size XS is often too long or doesn't fit nicely to mine. Or maybe my torso it self that is shorter than common. Only kid size 152 that sometimes fit, sometimes not. I am Asia petite. Thank you in advance.

• Anonymous January 14, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Hi Jean, I am a regular reader and your blog has always been inspirational. I am wonder if you could share what to wear (outfit and shoes) in snowy cold weather. I am a tropical born and living in the south but always find it difficult to find the right outfit when visiting a place which has cold climate (ex: Boston in winter). Thank you so much!
    Sandy

• Vanessa January 14, 2014 at 12:46 pm

That umbrella is so cute! 🙂 I love it.

vessipetite.blogspot.ca

• Anonymous January 14, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Hi Jean, Just wanted to ask what designer made the jeans you have on in the dressing room trying on the blazer from Old Navy?

• Anonymous January 14, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Speaking of quilted coats, have you ever tried on this one? http://us.burberry.com/diamond-quilted-jacket-p38224621

• Jessica January 15, 2014 at 1:12 am

hey jean, random question unrelated to this post…what color are the polka dots on your talbots blouse? i swear i scored the same one at the thrift store the other day!!

• KeyTracker January 15, 2014 at 3:46 am

Jean! Your boat shoes in the dressing room picture are adorable. What brand are they? I've been having so much trouble finding boat shoes that fit my tiny feet.

• heyxgrace January 15, 2014 at 6:09 am

lol the picture with you and the duck umbrella is too cute. I was wondering how you like your Longchamp! I got mine the same time you did but ordered the cheaper, traditional one and I've used it so much, the corners are really worn so I'm thinking its time to upgrade? I feel silly ordering the same one so I wanted to see how yours held up and if you still like it!

• Saioa January 15, 2014 at 6:31 am

LOVE YOUR AMAZING LOOK!!! the umbrella is so cute!!!!

xo

• Jean January 15, 2014 at 11:21 pm

I LOVE the planetes, it's better than le pliage and sturdier. I need to get my le pliage corners repaired but this one still looks new.

• Jean January 15, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Thanks! They're Sperry "Audrey" style, which comes in a ton of color and material combos. If you wear below a size 5 they won't fit unfortunately b/c I feel Sperrys run half size big. I tighten these using the all-around lace to make sure they don't fall off.

Here are brown leather ones left in sz 5:

• Jean January 15, 2014 at 11:25 pm

They are a beige/tan color. Too funny if you did! Once I stumbled upon the exact same girls tweed dress set at two thrift stores, years apart. Pls do post a photo if you did find my thrifted blouse twin : )

• Jean January 15, 2014 at 11:26 pm

I haven't tried the kids quilted jackets, but my friend Ping has tried a similar style in the past http://allaboutfashionstuff.blogspot.com/2012/07/burberry-quilted-jacket.html

• Jean January 15, 2014 at 11:27 pm

They are Gap petite legging jeans! Very comfortable and fitted. Mine are a few years old, but here's this year's version: http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=56797&vid;=3&pid;=928908002

• Jean January 15, 2014 at 11:29 pm

Hi there – I didn't purchase the XS regular so unfortunately I don't have the measurements. I should start carrying a measuring tape in my bag just in case!

• Jean January 15, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Hi there! Just like your find, my older style pair does not have Salvatore Ferragamo above the Made in Italy stamp. What a steal!

• Jean January 15, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Very interesting! I wonder if it's a policy for the kids' safety, which in that case I would understand since there's scary things that happen out there. I haven't tried to go into a kids fitting room in a while though so haven't had that happen.

• Jean January 15, 2014 at 11:32 pm

It'd look adorable on you! I'm so glad you found a cardigan option after the Uniqueen didn't quite work out.

• Jean January 15, 2014 at 11:33 pm

It makes such a difference starting your day off warm and dry! And thanks, scarf is from H&M; (but a few years old) : )

• Jean January 15, 2014 at 11:35 pm

The wedge height is comfortable but the adult tall boots are not the most comfortable on me because the shaft hits right at the back of my knees when I bend them a lot (ie going up stairs). That was something I didn't notice until later, but if you have longer calves then that shouldn't be an issue. I also own Kids Hunter flat boots which are comfy.

• Jean January 15, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Hi Phoebe! Yes, I've had a number of coats tailored. The results have always been good but that's completely dependent on your tailor's skill level, and I'd be a little wary of having a tailor do that job if I've never had work done by him/her before. I only start bringing my coats after having simpler items like hems, taking-in done. The price at regular tailors is high, like what you estimated.

• Anonymous January 16, 2014 at 12:15 am